Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who Wants to Play WvW in Guild Wars 2?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageWho Wants to Play WvW in Guild Wars 2?

Way back when Guild Wars 2 released I came into Tyria riding high off the waves of Atreia. NCSoft’s pigeon loving playground was a haven for many of us that loved large scale combat. Gigantic battles full of factional warmongers were regular as clockwork and Guild Wars 2’s World vs World seemed like the natural successor.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SoldorSoldor Member UncommonPosts: 81
    As an avid DAOC player I had really high hopes for the WvW in this game since it’s 3 way war. It was fun when game first released but over time constant zergs and META builds ruined this for me. I could rant for a while on some of the issues but I will say it’s still a fun game for PvP just not the best.
    NanbinomazutLaviotaAlomarIr1shguyDrunkWolf
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    No one. No one wants to play World vs. World. Not even me.
    [Deleted User]LaviotaNeonSaruScot[Deleted User]GaladournDrunkWolfSamhaelElquinBuschkatzeand 1 other.
  • NanbinoNanbino Member UncommonPosts: 168
    edited October 2018
    I remember losing three accounts to permanently ban in the old comment section in mmorpg dot com for giving this game criticism.
    This site fan boied this title hard. Lots of wowkiller talk. Posts with over 200 replies, everyone made to be super pro gw2.
    I gave up making accounts, the admins here obviously trolls.
    Fast forward, nNew comment engine. Gw2 died off, now we can openly talk about it without permanently bans... Guys post above me would have been banned so fast lol.
    Not only has PvP been a disappointment from on, its not aged well at all. Most people do it for incentives. Cheese for rats
    YashaX
    Nanbino said:
    I remember losing three accounts to permanently ban in the old comment section in mmorpg dot com for giving this game criticism.
    This site fan boied this title hard. Lots of wowkiller talk. Posts with over 200 replies, everyone made to be super pro gw2.
    Fast forward, nNew comment engine. Gw2 died off, now we can openly talk about it without permanently bans... Guys post above me would have been banned so fast lol.
    Not only has PvP been a disappointment from on, its not aged well at all. Most people do it for incentives. Cheese for rats
    If you were banned, it was for more than simple criticism. I have never gotten so much as a warning for critique. You, on the other hand, have called the admins trolls and players rats in a single post. Something tells me that you were justifiably banned.
    [Deleted User]Panther2103BeezerbeezWellspringSamhaelElquinThanev_VeYashaXBuschkatze
  • RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455
    edited October 2018
    Easy to access? The "community" that stuck to the WvW game since launch has become a pool of toxicity.

Not running a meta build? Get out.
    Not running with the right WvW guild? Get out.
    Not on some voice server using strict authentication requirements because spies? Get out.
    Not part of the inner-circle-clique that played since the game launched? Get the hell out as your opinion doesn't matter.

The PvE side of GW2 is fun and games, but the WvW "community" is the most hostile and unwelcoming group of players you might encounter in an MMO, and I've played a lot of "Hardcore PvP MMORPG's" that simply were nowhere near as toxic as the GW2 WvW community.

Maybe not all servers are like that, but the top EU ones sure are. It wasn't always like this. Back at launch, and I'd say pre-HoT, WvW was a fun place to be and I spent countless hours in it for zero rewards, doing scouting, following commanders (on coms), you name it. All the players who made it fun, and the mechanics that prevented elitism, both of those things got ripped out two expansions later.

I'd stay away from it if you're looking for anything that resembles "having a fun time".
    hallucigenocideSamhaelThupliBuschkatze
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
     I have an 80 Engi and an 80 Ranger i ran in WVW and imo the WvW is not a very good experience , at this point it comes down to blobs being moved around the screen like choregarphed dancers , baiting and waiting to see which group will slip up first and step in the Necro and Ranger AOEs...

Cyrodil (ESO) delivers a better RvR experience
    Iselinceratop001AlomarThupliYashaX
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I play WvW almost every day in GW2.   Been playing for years and still loving it.   Different strokes for different folks :)
    ScorchienElquinYashaX
    flizzer said:
    I play WvW almost every day in GW2.   Been playing for years and still loving it.   Different strokes for different folks :)
    Ya Flizzer there was a time when i really enjoyed it , When GW2 launched when my Engi hit 30 i went into WvW and got my next 50 lvl in there was a very fun time , But the mechainics shifted at some point about 18 months ago or so when the Necro and Ranger Fileds became to dominate on the field .. It was now the focus of the leaders as 2 opposing forces met .. It jusy lost some appeal for me at that point ..

Glad you are digging it tho :)
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

Nanbino said:

Like Aeander said, there was definitely more to your posts than criticism if you got banned. I've received warnings for things prior, but you really have to go out of your way to be an asshole to get banned here.

There was PLENTY of criticism of GW2 back when it was coming out, I remember plenty of giant threads of people not liking the game, but also the threads you talked about as well. Like with most MMO's (except bless, that seems to have everyone except me and 3 others hating on it) there are people arguing for and against them. That's what a game forum is for.
    YashaX
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited October 2018
    I got burned out on WvWvW long ago. For years it was the same zerg rotation thing daily, capture this run to the next, rinse repeat. It became so mechanical after a while, like open world events. You know they know it's boring when they force players to participate in it for making that legendary gear. There just isn't enough fun things about it to keep me interested anymore.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Torval said:
    Scorchien said:
     I have an 80 Engi and an 80 Ranger i ran in WVW and imo the WvW is not a very good experience , at this point it comes down to blobs being moved around the screen like choregarphed dancers , baiting and waiting to see which group will slip up first and step in the Necro and Ranger AOEs...

Cyrodil (ESO) delivers a better RvR experience
    Sounds similar to LotRO Ettenmoors zergballs rolling across the map.
    That's an inevitable consequence of large scale PvP with lots of players in the same zone. There's safety in numbers and there is just no way around that - players will always do it if they can do it.

But I still, by far, prefer that type of PvP to solo ganking, duels or those silly 15 minute scenarios. Maybe it's because I think MMOs are at their best when they do the one thing only they can do: massive encounters with lots of players participating.

It also helps to downplay the inherent imbalances that progression and gear, which are both integral parts of RPGs. When it's about the zerg ball you can contribute even if you're not contributing quite as much as the guy next to you. That seems more inclusive and realistic to me than 1v1 or 4v4.

It's why I learned to stop worrying and love the zerg :)

[Deleted User][Deleted User]RnjypsyElquinMadFrenchie
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623
    I got bored with it when it became "hide from the bigger zerg" and "player versus door"
    Tiller
  • boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404
    no thanks
    Alomar
  • Grunt350Grunt350 Member UncommonPosts: 57
    I used to play the wvw mode a lot back in 2015 when I was new in the game, but then I stopped playing wvw due to the fact that most of time I found a very little amount of ppl and very little groups to team up ( also a massive amount of enemy player). Now I don't play wvw because I get tire of waiting in the queuing 15 or 20 minutes just to find that my group has already jump to another map that is full (repeat process).
    Buschkatze
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    As stated above, this feature had a ton of potential and hype behind it. It underdelivered in every category, and never really recovered/changed enough. The announced "upcoming" WvW overhaul mentioned earlier this year would have been necessary years ago to keep it relevant. Also, it's got the worst class balance and build diversity for a largescale openworld/rvr mmo I've ever seen, as is right now and has been for years.
    Buschkatze
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    The fundamental missing piece for me was the lack of feeling like I was in a WAR. DAOC did this. I knew my enemies. We would rally to bring down that damn Smite Clerc who lead his group in taking our keep. We knew the Troll who used to hide behind a tree out in Emain.

The enemy was DIFFERENT from us. They were other races and classes. Had foreign armor and skills.

WvWvW is simply 3 somewhat mirrored servers that are passing each other for a few weeks on the way to the next group. They never felt like “the enemy” to me.
    ScorchienYashaX

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited October 2018
    The fundamental missing piece for me was the lack of feeling like I was in a WAR. DAOC did this. I knew my enemies. We would rally to bring down that damn Smite Clerc who lead his group in taking our keep. We knew the Troll who used to hide behind a tree out in Emain.

The enemy was DIFFERENT from us. They were other races and classes. Had foreign armor and skills.

WvWvW is simply 3 somewhat mirrored servers that are passing each other for a few weeks on the way to the next group. They never felt like “the enemy” to me.
    all good points also ..

And letting entire guilds jump servers  was really bad imo...letting anyone jump servers for that matter , flocks horded to Winning server early on stacking the odds even further
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    If it wasn't necessary to make legendaries, I'd never do WvW.
    Aeander[Deleted User]

If it wasn't necessary to make legendaries, I'd never do WvW.
    Well, that and some good exclusive armor skins.
    maskedweasel
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Meh is what WvW is.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    So, my necro condi MM would be useless

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    I did years ago.....then I played it. No thanks. Could have been so much better.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760
    Is this a trick question?

I've got the straight edge.

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    I never could get into the siege part of WvW. However...

I did enjoy me some of the WvW secret jumping puzzles back in the day. They were like Indian Jones mixed with PvP. They required team work and one wrong step and you had to start back over. And it gave you a real sense of accomplishment when you finally reached the chest at the end. Those were lots of fun!
    --------------------------------------------
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited October 2018

Aeander said:

Nanbino said:

If you were banned, it was for more than simple criticism. I have never gotten so much as a warning for critique. You, on the other hand, have called the admins trolls and players rats in a single post. Something tells me that you were justifiably banned.

Unfortunately, he's not wrong. It was that bad as the game grew close to release. There was one particular fanboy who would deliberately engage critics then report them every time. He would go into other game's forums and rail the crap out of them, but no one better touch his baby. One time BCBully called him out on his hypocracy by quoting his derrogatory post in another thread and did a side by side of his defending the idenitcal criticism to GW2. As I recall, BCBully was reported and banned. Funny thing, that particular poster got bored and gave the forum some big long winded good-bye to GW2 post about 3 months after it released......That was funny.

Anyway. The poster above is not lying. Exaggerating about unfair perm bans? Maybe but maybe not. I never even hated the game. In fact, it is one of my better MMORPG experiences overall. I still play it. But just trying to be a voice of reason in the fan-boy storm around release got me too many warnings to count as well as a small handful of multi-day bans....And I can assure you, I am not a troll, I just didn't support the hype. I can't even count how often I was called a hater.
    DeadSpock[Deleted User]etlarYashaX