Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem - Technical Beta Gameplay - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2018 in Videos Discussion

imageWolcen: Lords of Mayhem - Technical Beta Gameplay - MMORPG.com

A brand new gameplay video from Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem has been released as well as information about what testers will be able to see when logging in. Phase one of the technical beta test will kick off on October 11th, with phase 2 coming at a later date.

Read the full story here

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    In before someone says, "It used to be Umbra but now it's Wolcen" -- I've already told the graphics team that we need a new icon / logo :)
    SaltyDog79[Deleted User]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• achmedeachmede Member UncommonPosts: 215
    This game has been made for scratch 3 times.
    I hope this is the last time and we see full release in year or two.
    A really good game, alpha was 7/10
    Beta should be 8/10 or so.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Ive been promoting Wolcen here for 2 years now and it will earns its place among the best ARPG .. Fantastic game and have been waiting for this update all summer
    ceratop001
    OG_Zorvan said:
    Scorchien said:
    Ive been promoting Wolcen here for 2 years now and it will earns its place among the best ARPG .. Fantastic game and have been waiting for this update all summer
    And yet I've never heard of it. You suck as a promoter.  :D
    here ya go , this is from over a year ago .. it case you missed it ..https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/466671/wolcen-lords-of-mayhem-0-5-0-and-new-trailer#latest

[Deleted User]
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    This game is catching a lot of flak now. They missed a deadline they had set for themselves. People had a right to be a little upset though because the communication from the devs hasn't been that great an they waited patiently for over 3 months for an update that didn't come on time. Overall the game itself has improved in a major way of the last year or so, but personally I feel the devs are trying to do to much and change things to often to ever push the game out. It is a small dev team from what I have gathered and they have reworked things over and over and keep trying to add more things like classes ect before they even have the story flushed out. I backed this game a long time ago, but currently I have set it aside to give them some time to work on it to give me something that is worth the time to test. Really hope they figure out that they need to finish the game before adding more an more soon because it really is a decent game from what they had done the last time I gave it a go.
    [Deleted User]
  • joezhudarakjoezhudarak Member UncommonPosts: 32
    edited October 2018
    I have this game but it can´t compete with POE
    edited October 2018
    I agree atm ..

Like was pointed out above its gone thru some changes and this last one is a biggy , weve been waiting for this update all summer ..

Its also a bit of a different game than POE , it has some great well done features also , i really like literally there spin on the Passive tree.. very cool , Combat is top notch altho the range needed work and it looks from the brief part of ranged in the clip ,it looked more responsive this build , we gave a lot of feedback on that last build ..

IMO it may not be better than pOE but will be mentioned in the same breath as POE/Grim Dawn/D3
    This game can do much better then PoE
    It's only missing more content and multiplayer.
    If Beta really is as good as they say then it might make make it to top 5 Arpgs in a year.
    Scorchienboris20Cazriel
  • WarEnsembleWarEnsemble Member UncommonPosts: 252

k61977 said:

This game is catching a lot of flak now. They missed a deadline they had set for themselves. People had a right to be a little upset though because the communication from the devs hasn't been that great an they waited patiently for over 3 months for an update that didn't come on time.

I'm getting really tired of this mentality. Game devs don't owe people regular updates, explanations for decisions or any other community engagement. Leave them alone and let them make the game. It will update when they are ready.
    Cazriel
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

k61977 said:

This game is catching a lot of flak now. They missed a deadline they had set for themselves. People had a right to be a little upset though because the communication from the devs hasn't been that great an they waited patiently for over 3 months for an update that didn't come on time.

I'm getting really tired of this mentality. Game devs don't owe people regular updates, explanations for decisions or any other community engagement. Leave them alone and let them make the game. It will update when they are ready.

While I agree with this I will also say that if they set a date to have an update they should give an update. even if it's just "we're working on it."

Developers seem to be crap when it comes to engaging/interacting with their customers. I'm not saying they even need to give updates. They just have to do what they say they will do.
    Sandmanjw
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    They kinda owe what you said to those who support game via Kickstarter.
    The devs went silent for whole 5 months and player were mad about this.
    Mad players = negative review on Steam, it gives game and dev team a bad name.
    They would do so much better if they informed players about the progress.
    These days a game will do much much better if there is communication and care shown
    to players from devs.
    Take Warframe or PoE for example.
    Booth free games that make a lot more money then any other triple A game.
    edited October 2018
    Torval said:

k61977 said:

They're asking for money. If they don't want the heat then don't ask for money. When money trades hands in a business transaction expectations are set. This isn't game club after 4th period Algebra. It's a company selling a product. They're responsible to meet their obligations in a timely manner and communicate when that doesn't happen. Overpromising and under-delivering aren't the fault of the buyer.
    To be fair here Torval we all knew exactly what was going on during this time , as we waited for this well documented laid out update and move from alpha to beta , and as the original agreement says to anyone that EA/Kickstarted Wolcen that they would enter Beta in 2018 , which they will make ..

They actually said it would go abit quiet as it was alot of work to prepare(the move from Alpha to Beta) and still during that time frame they gave us updates to progress on

10/4
     9/21
     8/24
     and 6/29  well in formed news laying out there work in great detail
    edited October 2018
    Torval said:
    achmede said:
    If Beta really is as good as they say then it might make make it to top 5 Arpgs in a year.
    I hope so too because I don't think PoE should be the guiding standard. At all. It would be disappointing if this were a PoE clone.
    its not at all. ive tested every build of Wolcen for 2 years and played POE to lvl 88 ....

Very different experience very own flavor than any of the big 3 in POE/Grim Dawn/D3

And i like each of those ... Wolcen stands on its own merits and imo will be better than the other 3 in several ways ..

And im not saying it will be abetter game .. Im saying it will stand next to them .. Like i said i play and enjoy all 3 for different reasons
    [Deleted User]boris20sschrupp
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Wolcen is definitely its own entity and not really comparable to PoE. I own it but haven't played a lot, curious to see what happens next.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Scorchien[Deleted User]Truvidien88
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

edited October 2018
    Torval said:
    Scorchien said:
    Torval said:
    achmede said:
    I hope so too because I don't think PoE should be the guiding standard. At all. It would be disappointing if this were a PoE clone.
    its not at all. ive tested every build of Wolcen for 2 years and played POE to lvl 88 ....

Very different experience very own flavor than any of the big 3 in POE/Grim Dawn/D3

And i like each of those ... Wolcen stands on its own merits and imo will be better than the other 3 in several ways ..

And im not saying it will be abetter game .. Im saying it will stand next to them .. Like i said i play and enjoy all 3 for different reasons

lahnmir said:
    Wolcen is definitely its own entity and not really comparable to PoE. I own it but haven't played a lot, curious to see what happens next.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

That's good to hear. Thanks you two.

It's on my list. Do you think this game will stay single player or do they have realistic plans for multiplayer? I'm really weird about how and where I buy my games. I tend to buy multiplayer games on Steam and single on GoG. I noticed though that many indie games seem to give GoG second billing for patches. Do you have it on Steam or GoG and do you think the platform matters.

If that seems all foreign to you then just ignore it. I have a lot of games and so it's my way of trying to organize my world. Sometimes I forget that I own some games between Steam, GoG, Amazon (Twitch), and publisher launchers so this is me trying to manage that.
    Multiplayer is in this Update , pretty hyped for that also , should be great fun , working on synergies with this combat system..

Think DOS with great physics in action combat

I really try to keep all my games on Steam , so tired of having 5 DD platforms ..:)
    [Deleted User]
    When they say multiplayer i think they meant as in co-op.
    True multiplayer might come later.
  • cmacqcmacq Member UncommonPosts: 331
    For me it has POE beat hands down just because of the game engine. Every time I go back to POE it takes me about 10 minutes to remember I hate the engine they use. These games are about the combat and if you don't like that in an arpg there's no reason to play it. Just my opinion.
    [Deleted User]boris20
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Right now it might not be able to hold a candle to Path of Exile but it has some interesting ideas that could if there is more content have some possibilities. It lacks content.
    [Deleted User]Scorchien
    Chamber of Chains
    edited October 2018
    cheyane said:
    Right now it might not be able to hold a candle to Path of Exile but it has some interesting ideas that could if there is more content have some possibilities. It lacks content.

True , but a large part of the team is currently churning thru content for chp 2 ..

Gods Speed:)
    Don't jinx it please.
    Those who kept an eye out for Wolcen, since Umbra time are very unsure if act 2 will be delivered
    soon enough, or wont get postponed / remade from scratch.
  • boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404
    Not yet, but given time to bake in the over, pump out some content, this will eventually surpass POE. POE has years of content under its belt, and is a great game, hopefully Wolcen will give us a more modern game to continue after we play POE to death. POE needs an overhaul IMO. 
    Scorchien[Deleted User]
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503

k61977 said:

Getting tired of the mentality that devs that have taken money for a game already don't owe those people updates of how things are going either. 

They put the deadline out themselves no one forced them to do it in reality either.  Felt like they knew ahead of time they were going to miss the deadline they self imposed, all the while telling everyone right up till the last couple of days that everyone was on track, then coming back with we can't release it when we promised. 

There is nothing wrong with missing the deadlines in reality, it happens everyday in all businesses, that isn't the issue, the issue was that right up till then the community manager was telling everyone things were on track when they were asking when he knew that wasn't the case or should have known.  So overall it was either no communication right up till the last couple of weeks or straight out miscommunication with the backers of the game.

[Deleted User]
    edited October 2018
    k61977 said:

k61977 said:

Getting tired of the mentality that devs that have taken money for a game already don't owe those people updates of how things are going either. 

They put the deadline out themselves no one forced them to do it in reality either.  Felt like they knew ahead of time they were going to miss the deadline they self imposed, all the while telling everyone right up till the last couple of days that everyone was on track, then coming back with we can't release it when we promised. 

There is nothing wrong with missing the deadlines in reality, it happens everyday in all businesses, that isn't the issue, the issue was that right up till then the community manager was telling everyone things were on track when they were asking when he knew that wasn't the case or should have known.  So overall it was either no communication right up till the last couple of weeks or straight out miscommunication with the backers of the game.

This is just not true ...

To be fair here we all knew exactly what was going on during this time , as we waited for this well documented laid out update and move from alpha to beta , and as the original agreement says to anyone that EA/Kickstarted Wolcen that they would enter Beta in 2018 , which they will make ..

They actually said it would go abit quietin July of this year, as it was alot of work to prepare(the move from Alpha to Beta) and still during that time frame they gave us updates to progress on

10/4
     9/21
     8/24
     and 6/29  well in formed news laying out there work in great detail

And ill mention there Twitter page had updates and info nearly  weekly , so to anyone following or actually interested in progress there was plenty of info and communication.. And which community votes on what they wanted updates thru the Twitter on ..

boris20
    edited October 2018
    Torval said:
    I haven't been very pleased with their update schedule and communication either. That has kept me from buying in. It's not the worst, but they're not very good about it either.
      Torval , prior to 7/18 when they announced to us there would be a quiet time that would lead to 9/18 as the transition from Alpha to beta , Which they were still in contact with the community as pointed out above ,

They put out more updates to the EA than any game of been apart of except Star Traders ( those guys are sick)

All the updates and news are archived thru Steam and it was easily weekly for the 2 years leading up to 7/18 , Anyone has access to these archives and check it themselves..
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Since Lost Ark is probably never coming west.....I might check this out eventually lol.  
    Scorchien