Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New World Alpha

13»

Comments

• DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 21,195
    edited October 2018
    I will say that based on the 2hr leaked video, not anything else  ;) they want this game to compete with Rust, Conan Exiles, and Ark. Not my cup of tea at all. Not from a studio that has the backing of a billion dollar entity. I think they REALLY think this will translate well to Twitch too.

Talk about living in a bubble. Whoever pushed this game through as some MMORPG has a burlap sack over their head with no eyes cut out. It's an MMO Survival game with bollocks combat. Amazon "Games" is 0-2 so far IMHO.

I know a half dozen devs that work for Amazon Game studios - twitch appeal and streamability is literally in their design documents as one of the core features for every Amazon game.

So not only do they "really THINK" that it will translate to a huge success of Twitch - they actually must deliver a product that will do just that.

Amazon will use Twitch engagement numbers as one of the metrics of how successful the products are.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    DMKano said:
    I will say that based on the 2hr leaked video, not anything else  ;) they want this game to compete with Rust, Conan Exiles, and Ark. Not my cup of tea at all. Not from a studio that has the backing of a billion dollar entity. I think they REALLY think this will translate well to Twitch too.

Talk about living in a bubble. Whoever pushed this game through as some MMORPG has a burlap sack over their head with no eyes cut out. It's an MMO Survival game with bollocks combat. Amazon "Games" is 0-2 so far IMHO.

I know a half dozen devs that work for Amazon Game studios - twitch appeal and streamability is literally in their design documents as one of the core features for every Amazon game.

So not only do they "really THINK" that it will translate to a huge success of Twitch - they actually must deliver a product that will do just that.

Amazon will use Twitch engagement numbers as one of the metrics of how successful the products are.
    So basically you're saying to expect New World to randomly disappear off the Amazon Games page like Breakaway.

They need to go buy out an existing studio and start from there.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 21,195
    DMKano said:

So basically you're saying to expect New World to randomly disappear off the Amazon Games page like Breakaway.

They need to go buy out an existing studio and start from there.

Breakaway was an embarrassment, it was utter trash. It showed how inexperienced Amazon Game studios was at vetting internal projects before green lighting them for development.

New World is very much within the realm of possibility of gaining traction, the core game has promise - something that Breakaway just never could due to the core game being utter shit.

So I disagree with you there - it depends on how well New World turns out to be at launch and how much marketing muscle Amazon decides to put behind it to make it into a huge hit.
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,200
    edited October 2018
    Kyleran said:
    Keller said:
    Kyleran said:
    Well, I haven't signed my name agreeing to anything yet. I simply got an email with the subject "You’re in! Welcome to the New World Alpha Test". Seems fair game to be able to disclose that information.
    It is fair. Just because someone like yourself got an Alpha invite does not make you responsible for adhering to an NDA that you never signed. 
    It is ridiculous to think otherwise. 
    If the email did not come with any specific instruction not to share the info, nor were you asked to agree not to when you signed up then sharing is reasonable.

Only thing I've seen posted so far is a reddit post about not sharing beta access,  didn't mention anything about alpha.

A quick google search.....

Invitations come with this paragraph:

"Please keep in mind that the New World Alpha Test is a confidential testing release that is subject to the pre-release NDA in the Amazon Games Terms of Use. Please do not disclose content from or information about the game or this Alpha Test. If you do, we may remove you from the Alpha Test."

From Amazons Terms of Use: 
    "2.7 Beta Tests. We may offer access to confidential, preview, early access, alpha, beta, kappa, or similarly designated pre-release versions of our Games (collectively, “Beta Tests”). Please note that these versions may have limited features, may be available to play only during limited times, and may contain other limitations. If you participate in a Beta Test that we designate as confidential, you will keep all information about that Beta Test (including the Game and Game Content and related features and functionality provided in the Beta Test) and your participation confidential, including after public announcement of the Beta Test, until we give you authorization that you may disclose this information. You also agree that: (i) Beta Tests are works in progress and may contain bugs which may cause loss of data or damage to your device; (ii) playing Beta Tests is at your own risk and we are not liable for loss of data or damage to your device caused by Beta Tests; (iii) any In-Game Items or status indicators that you accumulate during beta periods as well as the player history associated with your account may be erased at various points during the testing process; (iv) you will not provide your Beta Test access code or key to any other person without our consent; and (v) we have no obligation to make Games or features in a Beta Test generally available."

It only seems logical that one has to agree to their Terms of Use before being able to login, by checking a box.  By only looking at the posts on these forums a lot of parents should go for a refund at the schools, because reading skills are below par.
    Thanks for sharing that, the posters arguing against the NDA failed to mention the invites come with this in plain sight, apparently a case of situational blindness.

It isn't reading skills which are failing, just a big lack of a moral compass which really falls on parents to instill.

Even if we were SOMEHOW bound by this Terms of Use just by receiving it as a link in an email, we still did nothing wrong by saying we got the invite.  

It says you cannot disclose "participation" in the alpha test. No one was saying that they participated. Just simply that they got invited. Sharing the receipt of an invitation is not the same as sharing that you participated in the event. 

Im not sure how this has anything to do with a moral compass. 

Edit: to illustrate further that these two words don't mean the same thing, it does not work when you say:

"Hey honey, did you remember to mail out our wedding participations?"
    Slapshot1188
    --------------------------------------------