Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New World Alpha

2»

Comments

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    I'm in as well;

Content is already leaked, and quite a lot to boot.

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    Well, after posting in the other thread I may or may not have noticed that I may or may not have deleted the invite I may or may not have received, just to be safe.

Take care,

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    What the hell Amazon , I'v been using your shitty 2 day shipping prime since it came out, where is my invite?!
    ceratop001
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Lol cmon folks .. there is no harm in saying " I got an invite" FFS

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    I am in. :D
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    SBFord said:
    Your screen has a unique ID number plastered all over the screen. Therefore no streaming or screen sharing. Other than that? No one would know based on a random forum name on a random gaming site.

All this is silly and NDAs always have been handled silly. This is not some government secrets. It is a flippin video game.
    Feelin' peckish this morning? :)

While I agree with you in general, I figure that "it's the right thing to do" when you sign your name to a document that asks you not to talk about the thing that you're doing. 

Adherence to the dictates of the NDA, even if it's just a "flippin video game", is an internal philosophy focused on honesty. If I practice this line of thinking in the little things like this, it then will carry into the bigger things in life. 
    The right thing to do?

Telling people you are in an Alpha without actually saying anything about the game itself?

smh 

Well it is clear from your posts on the CDPR IP thread honoring agreements such as NDAs or contracts isn't something you place much value on.

Not sure if it's a cultural or generational difference but some of us come from a time when a person honored their word on all things great and small.

You certainly aren't alone in your way of thinking, unfortunately. 
    RexKushman

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Well, I haven't signed my name agreeing to anything yet. I simply got an email with the subject "You’re in! Welcome to the New World Alpha Test". Seems fair game to be able to disclose that information.
    It is fair. Just because someone like yourself got an Alpha invite does not make you responsible for adhering to an NDA that you never signed. 
    It is ridiculous to think otherwise. 
    If the email did not come with any specific instruction not to share the info, nor were you asked to agree not to when you signed up then sharing is reasonable.

Only thing I've seen posted so far is a reddit post about not sharing beta access,  didn't mention anything about alpha.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    Kyleran said:
    Well, I haven't signed my name agreeing to anything yet. I simply got an email with the subject "You’re in! Welcome to the New World Alpha Test". Seems fair game to be able to disclose that information.
    It is fair. Just because someone like yourself got an Alpha invite does not make you responsible for adhering to an NDA that you never signed. 
    If the email did not come with any specific instruction not to share the info, nor were you asked to agree not to when you signed up then sharing is reasonable.

Only thing I've seen posted so far is a reddit post about not sharing beta access,  didn't mention anything about alpha.

A quick google search.....

Invitations come with this paragraph:

"Please keep in mind that the New World Alpha Test is a confidential testing release that is subject to the pre-release NDA in the Amazon Games Terms of Use. Please do not disclose content from or information about the game or this Alpha Test. If you do, we may remove you from the Alpha Test."

From Amazons Terms of Use: 
    "2.7 Beta Tests. We may offer access to confidential, preview, early access, alpha, beta, kappa, or similarly designated pre-release versions of our Games (collectively, “Beta Tests”). Please note that these versions may have limited features, may be available to play only during limited times, and may contain other limitations. If you participate in a Beta Test that we designate as confidential, you will keep all information about that Beta Test (including the Game and Game Content and related features and functionality provided in the Beta Test) and your participation confidential, including after public announcement of the Beta Test, until we give you authorization that you may disclose this information. You also agree that: (i) Beta Tests are works in progress and may contain bugs which may cause loss of data or damage to your device; (ii) playing Beta Tests is at your own risk and we are not liable for loss of data or damage to your device caused by Beta Tests; (iii) any In-Game Items or status indicators that you accumulate during beta periods as well as the player history associated with your account may be erased at various points during the testing process; (iv) you will not provide your Beta Test access code or key to any other person without our consent; and (v) we have no obligation to make Games or features in a Beta Test generally available."

It only seems logical that one has to agree to their Terms of Use before being able to login, by checking a box.  By only looking at the posts on these forums a lot of parents should go for a refund at the schools, because reading skills are below par.
    KyleranNorseGodSlapshot1188
    edited October 2018
    Keller said:
    Kyleran said:

"Please keep in mind that the New World Alpha Test is a confidential testing release that is subject to the pre-release NDA in the Amazon Games Terms of Use. Please do not disclose content from or information about the game or this Alpha Test. If you do, we may remove you from the Alpha Test."

"2.7 Beta Tests. We may offer access to confidential, preview, early access, alpha, beta, kappa, or similarly designated pre-release versions of our Games (collectively, “Beta Tests”). Please note that these versions may have limited features, may be available to play only during limited times, and may contain other limitations. If you participate in a Beta Test that we designate as confidential, you will keep all information about that Beta Test (including the Game and Game Content and related features and functionality provided in the Beta Test) and your participation confidential, including after public announcement of the Beta Test, until we give you authorization that you may disclose this information. You also agree that: (i) Beta Tests are works in progress and may contain bugs which may cause loss of data or damage to your device; (ii) playing Beta Tests is at your own risk and we are not liable for loss of data or damage to your device caused by Beta Tests; (iii) any In-Game Items or status indicators that you accumulate during beta periods as well as the player history associated with your account may be erased at various points during the testing process; (iv) you will not provide your Beta Test access code or key to any other person without our consent; and (v) we have no obligation to make Games or features in a Beta Test generally available."

It only seems logical that one has to agree to their Terms of Use before being able to login, by checking a box.  By only looking at the posts on these forums a lot of parents should go for a refund at the schools, because reading skills are below par.
    Thanks for sharing that, the posters arguing against the NDA failed to mention the invites come with this in plain sight, apparently a case of situational blindness.

It isn't reading skills which are failing, just a big lack of a moral compass which really falls on parents to instill.

Slapshot1188

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited October 2018
    What's the point in breaking the NDA when somebody already took one for the team? There's nothing different anybody is going to show than the 2hr leak.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17YNs9YD9CWyc5PF8ROI2tlXcOmdLATHs/view

P.S. Once you click download and install you're soft agreeing to Terms of Service which include the NDA (though it wouldn't hold much water in court). That's how I know all these "Alphas" are fake. 

Your Amazon account is tied to it though. I actually use mine and I'm not trying to piss off Skynet while they know where I live, how I shop, and have my credit card info.  :|
    [Deleted User]
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Keller said:
    Kyleran said:

Maybe next time they shouldnt put the confidential top secret information right in the subject of the email. I saw that I got an alpha invite without even unlocking my phone.

You can't force a confidentiality agreement on someone after you already freely blurted out the secret. 
    Slapshot1188
    --------------------------------------------

SBFord said:
    Your screen has a unique ID number plastered all over the screen. Therefore no streaming or screen sharing. Other than that? No one would know based on a random forum name on a random gaming site.

All this is silly and NDAs always have been handled silly. This is not some government secrets. It is a flippin video game.

While I agree with you in general, I figure that "it's the right thing to do" when you sign your name to a document that asks you not to talk about the thing that you're doing. 

Adherence to the dictates of the NDA, even if it's just a "flippin video game", is an internal philosophy focused on honesty. If I practice this line of thinking in the little things like this, it then will carry into the bigger things in life. 
    You are making a straw man argument.  Likely just from not knowing because as an industry person you and the MMORPG team actually do sign NDAs to access games in development.  I won’t say whether NewWorld has one, but I’ll just say that I never signed any NDA.

You are uncharacteristically on the wrong side of this issue, especially when you well know the invitation letters came stating the Alpha was under NDA and it clearly links to a page stating "we don't talk about fight club."

Stop splitting hairs over whether or not you signed anything, that is BS lawyer speak you normally rail against if devs try and do it in a KSer.

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    thunderC said:
    What the hell Amazon , I'v been using your shitty 2 day shipping prime since it came out, where is my invite?!
    That's what I'm saying... B) Prime users should get invites...
    Kyleran

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I thought it was supposed to be an MMO. A survival sandbox I'm not so much interested in.
    Wellspring
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I'm a prime user and also suffering from Compulsive Buying Disorder and got nothing :( 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Looks pretty advanced for an alpha in that video, but yeah...What is it, a survival MMO?  It does remind me a lot of the short time I played Life is Feudal.  Just running around and gathering resources.
    Looks pretty advanced for an alpha in that video, but yeah...What is it, a survival MMO?  It does remind me a lot of the short time I played Life is Feudal.  Just running around and gathering resources.
    Probably a survival MMO on steroids, supporting 500+ per world at launch, and the promise of thousands one day.

In all fairness, the survival genre has shown potential for big success, but all contenders so far have largely missed the mark in terms of stability, performance, large player environments and long term goals.

Were some dev to succeed in all these areas with a high level of polish we could have another big seller like WOW was in the day.

• CobaneCobane Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Holy Cow!!! I got in too!! Check your promotions tab!!!
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Kyleran said:
    Probably a survival MMO on steroids, supporting 500+ per world at launch, and the promise of thousands one day.

In all fairness, the survival genre has shown potential for big success, but all contenders so far have largely missed the mark in terms of stability, performance, large player environments and long term goals.

Were some dev to succeed in all these areas with a high level of polish we could have another big seller like WOW was in the day.

I did enjoy what I played of Life is Feudal, as far as the exploration and basic crafting went.  What I didn't find enjoyable was the extreme level of detail involved in building, like levelling dirt, that sort of thing.  If this turned out to be a Life is Feudal Lite, with a high level of polish, and maybe some questing thrown in, I'd be very interested.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    edited October 2018
    Kyleran said:

SBFord said:

You are making a straw man argument.  Likely just from not knowing because as an industry person you and the MMORPG team actually do sign NDAs to access games in development.  I won’t say whether NewWorld has one, but I’ll just say that I never signed any NDA.

You are uncharacteristically on the wrong side of this issue, especially when you well know the invitation letters came stating the Alpha was under NDA and it clearly links to a page stating "we don't talk about fight club."

Stop splitting hairs over whether or not you signed anything, that is BS lawyer speak you normally rail against if devs try and do it in a KSer.

No.  Absolutely not.  You cannot send me a message and include something in an Email and magically bind me to it.  I haven't installed the game.  I got an email from them inviting me to it.  If I load up the game and agree to their TOS or whatever then we can talk about being held to whatever they put in it.

This isn't splitting hairs about whether an NDA was signed or clicked.  It's that until I actually AGREE to their TOS/NDA/EULA whatever I am not bound to it any more than I would be if they sent me an Email saying they wanted to sell me a 24 pack of Bubblicious gum for $40.  I wasn't talking about anything at all related to the game except for saying "Got my invite too"

To make it even more humorous, my wife who has certainly never signed up for any Alpha/Beta test (nor played an MMORPG) in her life got the same exact invite Email.  It's probably related to me going in and "buying" NewWorld on Amazon when it was first announced and she is the primary account holder for Prime.

It takes 2 parties to enter into an agreement.  Not one.  I'm not sure why you think I'm "on the wrong side" on this one.  If it was that easy to bind someone to an agreement I would just send you and everyone else on the site a PM saying you have been invited to the Slapshot fan club and must pay me $1000 a month in perpetuity. (No backsies).

[Deleted User]Wellspring

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Keller said:
    Kyleran said:

Before you criticize reading skills you should evaluate your own logic skills. Getting an Email sent to me does not mean that I agreed to anything or everything in the Email.  If I go accept their EULA/NDA/TOS/whatever then we can have that discussion.  If you do not understand that please PM me your email address so I can send you an Email requesting you buy me a new car.

[Deleted User]Wellspring

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

I will say that based on the 2hr leaked video, not anything else  ;) they want this game to compete with Rust, Conan Exiles, and Ark. Not my cup of tea at all. Not from a studio that has the backing of a billion dollar entity. I think they REALLY think this will translate well to Twitch too.

Talk about living in a bubble. Whoever pushed this game through as some MMORPG has a burlap sack over their head with no eyes cut out. It's an MMO Survival game with bollocks combat. Amazon "Games" is 0-2 so far IMHO.
    RexKushman
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    DMKano said:
    I will say that based on the 2hr leaked video, not anything else  ;) they want this game to compete with Rust, Conan Exiles, and Ark. Not my cup of tea at all. Not from a studio that has the backing of a billion dollar entity. I think they REALLY think this will translate well to Twitch too.

Talk about living in a bubble. Whoever pushed this game through as some MMORPG has a burlap sack over their head with no eyes cut out. It's an MMO Survival game with bollocks combat. Amazon "Games" is 0-2 so far IMHO.

I know a half dozen devs that work for Amazon Game studios - twitch appeal and streamability is literally in their design documents as one of the core features for every Amazon game.

So not only do they "really THINK" that it will translate to a huge success of Twitch - they actually must deliver a product that will do just that.

Amazon will use Twitch engagement numbers as one of the metrics of how successful the products are.
    So basically you're saying to expect New World to randomly disappear off the Amazon Games page like Breakaway.

They need to go buy out an existing studio and start from there.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    edited October 2018
    Kyleran said:
    Keller said:
    Kyleran said:

Thanks for sharing that, the posters arguing against the NDA failed to mention the invites come with this in plain sight, apparently a case of situational blindness.

It isn't reading skills which are failing, just a big lack of a moral compass which really falls on parents to instill.

Even if we were SOMEHOW bound by this Terms of Use just by receiving it as a link in an email, we still did nothing wrong by saying we got the invite.  

It says you cannot disclose "participation" in the alpha test. No one was saying that they participated. Just simply that they got invited. Sharing the receipt of an invitation is not the same as sharing that you participated in the event. 

Im not sure how this has anything to do with a moral compass. 

Edit: to illustrate further that these two words don't mean the same thing, it does not work when you say:

"Hey honey, did you remember to mail out our wedding participations?"
    Slapshot1188
    --------------------------------------------