Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CoE abandons "VoxElyria"

Comments

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Lulz.  So it begins.
    Sorry.  I can't agree any more.  The site won't let me.

KajidourdenKyleran

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• InteritusInteritus Member UncommonPosts: 236
    If prelyria is to test the systems, why are they going to the effort of making the graphics cel-shaded? Won't that just end up wasted resources the same way the graphics for voxelyria was wasted? They aren't being used in the final game.

Also concerned that he abandoned the idea of the actual graphics they will use because he thought it was too boring.  People would understand that it was barebones. But it would show progress was being made. Instead we get new screenshots of a new testing tool for the game which we only heard of today.  The biggest worry there is that they don't even have enough landscape (that matches their screenshots)  to let people walk and talk in the game.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Lulz.  So it begins.
    Begins?   This has been par for the course since the Kickstarter opened...
    [Deleted User]craftseeker

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Lulz.  So it begins.
    Perhaps, but this is the first thing I've seen that outright says "this shit is fucked" rather than simply suggesting it was.

I've never had any hope for it regardless, but yeah.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Just about everything about this game has always struck me as arrogant and clueless amateur ignorance. "We're going to do it this different way because we're smarter than the dinosaurs who do it the old way."

It's funny as hell when they finally clue in why it's done the normal way.
    MadFrenchieSlapshot1188[Deleted User]KyleranGaladournLokeroGdemami
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

edited October 2018
    Lulz.  So it begins.
    Perhaps, but this is the first thing I've seen that outright says "this shit is fucked" rather than simply suggesting it was.

So when they said their small team of “engineers” and interns replaced SpatialOS with off the shelf software that didn’t set off any alarms? B)
    ConstantineMerus[Deleted User]EponyxDamorKyleranGaladournLokero

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Lulz.  So it begins.

So when they said their small team of “engineers” and interns replaced SpatialOS with off the shelf software that didn’t set off any alarms? B)
    First alarm was when they posted their Kickstarter campaign and asked for $900k to create the game and prayed for a Star Citizen effect. I can't justify that number any other way. 
    Slapshot1188GaladournGdemami
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    Wasn't this the game that was being praised for being on, and even ahead, of schedule just like a week ago?

Damn

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Gutlard said:
    Wasn't this the game that was being praised for being on, and even ahead, of schedule just like a week ago?

Damn

Gut Out!
    No, that's Ashes of Creation.  They've been blowing pretty much all other crowdfunded MMORPG projects outta the water with their apparent progress since the Kickstarter ended.
    ConstantineMerusKyleranGaladournGdemami

• EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    Lulz.  So it begins.

Or when they downsized the development team?
    Slapshot1188[Deleted User]Kyleran
    Gotta love some of the responses:

I must say the concept of saving time by actually creating more iteration steps is great. I hope this works as expected. Caspian might want to publish a book on SBSs workflow and about their system of content creation. I think this could save millions in development costs and change the creation of games.

and

Amazing job Caspian and the team.

Too funny...

AnOldFartGaladourn

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited October 2018

I must say the concept of saving time by actually creating more iteration steps is great. I hope this works as expected. Caspian might want to publish a book on SBSs workflow and about their system of content creation. I think this could save millions in development costs and change the creation of games.

and

Too funny...

Wow.  But yeah, it's not an issue at all that consumers are being asked to fund projects without any experience or expertise with software development.  And developers aren't taking advantage of that lack of knowledge and expertise at all.  Nope.
    KyleranGaladournGdemami

edited October 2018

and

Too funny...

Wow.  But yeah, it's not an issue at all that consumers are being asked to fund projects without any experience or expertise with software development.  And developers aren't taking advantage of that lack of knowledge and expertise at all.  Nope.
    On that note, here is a quote from Caspien about how the players would not have to be the ones funding the majority of the game's development:

How much has been raised or promised from investors to date? How much of the additional $3 million will be covered by investors rather than players?

We’re not able to talk about investor relations right now. It’s not that we don’t want to. We can’t. Of the additional $2M – $3M, it’s our intention that all of it be covered by investors, or at least, not players. When we have more information we’ll release it to the community.

https://massivelyop.com/2016/09/28/interview-chronicles-of-elyrias-jeromy-walsh-on-post-kickstarter-funding/

That was 2 years ago.   You know how much of the extra millions were contributed by players?   As far as I know... ALL of it.

I honestly do not think Caspien intentionally lies.   I think he is just utterly incompetent at this stuff.  He should not be in charge of this (or any) project as he has never demonstrated the skill set to successfully lead such a venture.  Let him create Powerpoint slides with concepts and give "Story Time with Caspien" talks on Discord.  That's where his skills are...

MadFrenchieAnOldFartGdemami

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

and

Too funny...

The only way these people were going to save "millions in development costs and change the creation of games", was to a) collects millions, then b) convince everyone that the game was working as intended.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    Ok I'm going to say two things, read them both before flaming me.

I would love for him to suddenly say "our rope bridge methodology has come to fruition here us beta, oh and screw slapshot"

But

As someone who defended coe here over a year ago, as the development goes on I get more and more disheartened. I no longer go onto their site and occasionally check their discord for updates like this "gem"

On another note, I have written off my pledge and if it ever gets finished I will try it but instead I'm waiting on Ashes, just wish I had put my Coe ks money all on that instead... 
    LokeroGdemami
    AnOldFart said:
    Ok I'm going to say two things, read them both before flaming me.

I would love for him to suddenly say "our rope bridge methodology has come to fruition here us beta, oh and screw slapshot"

But

As someone who defended coe here over a year ago, as the development goes on I get more and more disheartened. I no longer go onto their site and occasionally check their discord for updates like this "gem"

On another note, I have written off my pledge and if it ever gets finished I will try it but instead I'm waiting on Ashes, just wish I had put my Coe ks money all on that instead... 
    I'd love for him to say "In hindsight maybe the Harbingers were not just trying to stir up bad publicity but actually did foresee what was going to happen.  We can't change the past, but instead of shouting down dissent I am going to listen with an open mind and try to save this project and the jobs of those who depend on it".
    KyleranYashaXGdemami

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I'd love for him to say "In hindsight maybe the Harbingers were not just trying to stir up bad publicity but actually did foresee what was going to happen.  We can't change the past, but instead of shouting down dissent I am going to listen with an open mind and try to save this project and the jobs of those who depend on it".
    Hell will freeze-over before that happens, lol
    Kyleran[Deleted User]Nilden
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Hell will freeze-over before that happens, lol
    Apparently "mea culpa" isnt in his skill set.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited October 2018
    Man , from the first time i read about this game and Caspien, and saw his spiel , my Spider senses were tingling , im glad i did not invest any time/money or energy on this ,,
    I think it's telling that @mystichaze @mistysummers @Dleatherus @NeutralEvil and the others (hey @JeromyWalsh )  have not shown up to at least acknowledge that the "Harbingers" were, in fact, correct that it was a waste of time and resources to try and create a Voxel based game in parallel to the UE4 one.

craftseekerYashaXGdemami

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited October 2018
    Scorchien said:
    Man , from the first time i read about this game and Caspien, and saw his spiel , my Spider senses were tingling , im glad i did not invest any time/money or energy on this ,,
    I think people need to be realistic when it comes to these mmo crowdfunding projects. Its a completely different beast trying to crowdfund a mmo vs crowdfunding a simple single player game due to the mmo being pretty much a life form.

Lets pretend Pantheon/Ashes/this title/Crowfall etc did officially launch. How sustainable would that be realistically? Pantheon and Ashes are planning to launch as p2p, but what really sets those apart from triple A releases in the past that did the same thing like Tera/Aion/ESO/Wildstar? The vision? Wildstar had a vision and tried its best to adhere to it at the start (HARDCORE 40-MAN RAIDS BABE!), then what ended up happening? Of course it suffered from a slew of other problems as well, but that's not saying the other titles wont especially since they have a much smaller team, which means bugs and things will be addressed at a much slower rate.

Personally, if the systems are designed well like old school games to the point that every addition was made in mind to interplay with the entirety of the game rather than just playing a patch like what ends up happening in WoW/FFXIV then going back to farming vanity items in the downtime, then its worth the 1-2 content updates that those games will probably end up getting as a result of a smaller team (long sentence, I know, but I wanted to stress quality over quantity). However, I'm an 'old school' gamer who played FFXI for close to a decade so I'm used to not seeing new things every quarter or whatever, but will the interest be large enough of people that understand the realities of these projects vs the ambitions they are trying to achieve. I believe these projects do have potential to hit their 'goals' or targets but the timeframes are something people have to be realistic about.
    Gdemami
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Albatroes said:
    Scorchien said:
    I think people need to be realistic when it comes to these mmo crowdfunding projects. Its a completely different beast trying to crowdfund a mmo vs crowdfunding a simple single player game due to the mmo being pretty much a life form.

More than that what people really need to do is learn to differentiate between legitimate crowdfunded MMO projects and the ones that are more like the gaming equivalent of literary fan fiction.

I'll leave it up to you to decide which category this one falls into :)
    Slapshot1188EponyxDamor
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Aside from some obvious that i understand they couldn't possibly fully understand Voxels unless working with them prior.
    What i really get from the whole story is something i often talk about.

What i get from this is the idea "wannabe"devs those that really are undertaking more than they can chew and will NEVER churn out a HQ AAA game are in this for the WRONG reason>>>>profits/money.

I firmly belioeve that whatever you do in life,you have to have the passion and you need to want to put in the effort to turn out something to be proud of,not just something to make money with.

These wannabe type devs want FAST production,get the game done as fast as possible,perhaps add-on new software over time that again might speed up the process.His plan was to turn out a product that would be very low cost,fast to market to simply produce some money to further fund the main COE game.This reminds me 100% of EQNext/Landmark all over again.

Advice:Do NOT pretend to be a AAA developer when your not,do NOT make a game for a genre that needs tons of money,tons of manpower and tons of passion if you cannot afford all three.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Caspien on these forums in FEBRUARY 2016:

https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/6865362/#Comment_6865362

Talks about how they are a "couple of months out" from a playable demo...

KyleranYashaX

• NeutralEvilNeutralEvil Member UncommonPosts: 108
    @Slapshot1188 . I'm still here, just posted not long ago about there being not much to discuss

I don't recall ever defending VoxElyria or understand why you are implying I need to fall on a sword

To maybe inflate your ego some more? I dunno

There is supposed to be an update on their 0.50 goals later today and map voting, I'll be back after that to discuss what's new!

Carry on