Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Master's Thesis Flow in Gaming and Sports

Hi there fellow Mmorpgians,

I play computer and console-games for about two decades now and I am interested in a lot of the psychology behind them since I started studying psychology at the University Kassel, Germany. Why do we play, what keeps us playing? So I decided to write my Master’s thesis about the Flow Experience in Gaming and Sports. The Flow theory is about the Experience of being challenge and being capable to handle the challenge, “The Optimal Experience”.

According to positive psychologist Mihály Csíkszentmihályi, what you experience in that moment of “flow’’, is a state of complete immersion in an activity. He describes the mental state of flow as “being completely involved in an activity, losing the sense of time and using your skills to their maximum capacity.”

The Thesis will contain a survey that will compare the experience of flow of Sportsmen and gamers.

If you like to participate in the study you can use the link below to start the first questionnaire, it takes about 10 minutes:

https://www.soscisurvey.de/Flow_Esm/?q=Flow_ESM_Gaming

After the questionnaire you get a link to download an app that will prompt you for seven days with a short survey on your gaming experience. The survey will note take you more than a minute to complete. The app is currently only available for android.

After the seven days survey period you can do the post-survey provided in the email that will take you also only about 10 minutes to complete A giveaway will be held after the survey has finished for 10 x 50€ Amazon gift cards. You can enlist in the Giveaway by talking the last questionnaire after the seven day survey.

When my work is finished I will post a link here in the forums so you can download the paper.

I would be delighted if you can consider taking part in my study

Best Regards

David Querfurth

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited September 2018
    I've been in a flow many times inside and outside a game.  It does not necessarily require or use your skills to their greatest capacity. 

I've been there concentrating on something and the people around me become a little worried when I don't respond to them.  They touch me and I react as if to avoid a fist swung at me.  People around you don't know, you don't know, that you've cut yourself off from all outside interferences except for the problem at hand. 

The easiest inducements for flow for me was then I was taking computer programming classes.  This is one reason why many people look at programmers and say they're wierd.  They aren't weird.  They are just completely involved.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • Flow.Uni.KasselFlow.Uni.Kassel Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Hi there, Yes that is true, it is possible to get in flow without using all your capabilities to the utmost. And the second thing with programming I observed myself many times. Programming just takes a lot of concentration on one single Stimulus, that is also a prerequisite for the flow experience.

Thank you for taking your time answering :smile:

Also it would be very nice if you would consider taking part in my study. I will give away 10x50 € in amazon gift cards.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Best Regards

David 
  • Lisajohny543Lisajohny543 Member CommonPosts: 7
    Grunty said:
    I've been in a flow many times inside and outside a game.  It does not necessarily require or use your skills to their greatest capacity. 

I've been there concentrating on something and the people around me become a little worried when I don't respond to them.  They touch me and I react as if to avoid a fist swung at me.  People around you don't know, you don't know, that you've cut yourself off from all outside interferences except for the problem at hand. 

The easiest inducements for flow for me was then I was taking computer programming classes.  This is one reason why many people look at programmers and say they're wierd.  They aren't weird.  They are just completely involved.
    Well said
  • Flow.Uni.KasselFlow.Uni.Kassel Member UncommonPosts: 3
    edited January 2019
    Hi there again fellow Mmorpgians,

I am still searching for participants for my study. The first time around there where not many people taking part so I will change the compensation. The first 25 participants get a 20 € Amazon gift card. The app is now available over the Google Play Store so there is no hassle installing it.

Please consider taking part it would really help me out. 

https://www.soscisurvey.de/Flow_Esm/?q=Flow_ESM_Gaming

Best Regards

David Querfurth

Post edited by Flow.Uni.Kassel on
  • EthanScratchleyEthanScratchley Newbie CommonPosts: 3
    complex topic, but interesting
    I am a 4th year student, studying logistics, working as a freelancer. I don't really like to study, written research assignments are a difficult test for me, I rarely write anything, whatever the topic, because it's easier for me to look for help on the Internet, so I recommend that you go to EssayReviewExpert to read a review AffordablePapers writing service where you can learn about all the features of this cool company, about their ratings and strengths, this will allow you to quickly find the written help you need.