Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dragon's Dogma

Comments

• seratinseratin Member UncommonPosts: 17
    It was ok, better than Kingdoms of Amalur but not as good as Skyrim.  Spellcasting could have used a rework though, it feels like it fits more into an actual multiplayer game rather then one with AI.  It's worth picking up if you see it on sale.
    Torvalpsychosiz1
  • GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 6,295
    seratin said:
    It was ok, better than Kingdoms of Amalur but not as good as Skyrim.  Spellcasting could have used a rework though, it feels like it fits more into an actual multiplayer game rather then one with AI.  It's worth picking up if you see it on sale.
    The spellcasting's easily the best part of the game. To see the feats a Sorc can pull off and I'm only talking Crowd Control...sick. But! You are 100% up to Pawns ideas of combat right now. I mean, I'm mostly drawn to Boon + CC playstyle in Dogma, but damn is it hard or what with Pawns. Example:

A Strider Pawn. A Cyclops. Thunder Boon. What does he do? Poke him with arrows instead of some hardcore grapple kiss action(aka death for Cyclops)! /facepalm

Honestly, DD bots have got too much freedom. Just give me Dragon Age: Origins' system. Ok, maybe a tad more advanced / free. There. I don't need bots to learn anything and to think, I need them to obey and to be reliable. Ok, if I'm playing an Assassin or a Warrior, I don't need that, I just need a correct element, but...ugh! Infuriating!
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 13,131
    Gorwe said:
    seratin said:
    The spellcasting's easily the best part of the game. To see the feats a Sorc can pull off and I'm only talking Crowd Control...sick. But! You are 100% up to Pawns ideas of combat right now. I mean, I'm mostly drawn to Boon + CC playstyle in Dogma, but damn is it hard or what with Pawns. Example:

A Strider Pawn. A Cyclops. Thunder Boon. What does he do? Poke him with arrows instead of some hardcore grapple kiss action(aka death for Cyclops)! /facepalm

Honestly, DD bots have got too much freedom. Just give me Dragon Age: Origins' system. Ok, maybe a tad more advanced / free. There. I don't need bots to learn anything and to think, I need them to obey and to be reliable. Ok, if I'm playing an Assassin or a Warrior, I don't need that, I just need a correct element, but...ugh! Infuriating!
    The pawns you hire are set-up the way their owners - other players - set them up. Some are very bad with crappy skills and others very well done with good skills. It pays to take your time and really look at what skills their owners selected for them.

I typically play as a Magic Archer (or Assadsin) and my own pawn is my Warrior tank. The ones I hire are usually a mage and a ranger for support and ranged DPS. I stay away from offensive mage pawns or melee rangers... works for me.
    TorvalConstantineMerusBloodaxesPhryNycteliosMrMelGibson
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,849
    Iselin said:
    Gorwe said:
    seratin said:

The pawns you hire are set-up the way their owners - other players - set them up. Some are very bad with crappy skills and others very well done with good skills. It pays to take your time and really look at what skills their owners selected for them.

I typically play as a Magic Archer (or Assadsin) and my own pawn is my Warrior tank. The ones I hire are usually a mage and a ranger for support and ranged DPS. I stay away from offensive mage pawns or melee rangers... works for me.
    I spend way more time checking out how people configure and gear out their pawns than I should. I get some great build ideas from them too. I might need to fire this back up.
    IselinPhryNycteliosMrMelGibson
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,865
    The lighting engine they created is so well done. The team really has talent. 
    TorvalYashaXSovrathMrMelGibson

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Iselin said:
    Gorwe said:
    seratin said:

I mean, it's the start that's problematic. If you start as a Support Mage, you'll have a...not good time. I know, it's tied to the Pawn's Bestiary knowledge. And that's exactly the problem. Overall, the game's quite shit in the start, except the Cassardis Dragon part imo.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 6,675
    This sounds like a simple case of not knowing how to play the game = game is shit. Next.
    Albatroes said:
    This sounds like a simple case of not knowing how to play the game = game is shit. Next.
    The start most definitely is and it's especially visible on a (support) Mage. Everything else, a good if unfinished game. It's almost like Dark Souls 2 in that regard.
    mikeb0817
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member RarePosts: 4,156
    edited October 2018
    Some tips I learned while playing the game till the end are:

1) Check the Pawn before taking it. Not only their gear and skills. If you're going to fight the Griffon (For example), see if the pawns you're taking have any experience fighting such creatures, and anything in the vicinity. Until they get the experience from creatures, they fight differently which could be more challenging.

2) If you're picking damage dealers, don't pick warrior, go for Fighter for melee or Ranger for ranged (A mage is good too but don't make a full team of casters or you'll be screwing yourself). Fighter is tankish, and will provide some protection from your ranged pawns. Strider is one of the most powerful classes so you could also pick them, but pawns don't know how to fully make it work. It's a hybrid class, but pawns don't fully use it's capabilities. One big problem of warriors, is they're one of the weakest classes in the game. Only thing good they have is their jump attack, and pawns don't abuse it.

My own pawn was always a strider like me, but she always ended up dead in the end dungeon because she kept going close. After researching a little, I found out how the ranger is a much better alternative to pawns if you want your dps to actually do something.

3) When selecting mages, be very careful of what spells they're using. Make sure they have some form of buff/s, a quick attacking spell and aoe. When fighting quick enemies, the last thing you want is for your casters to stand still casting some powerful spell which takes a long time.
    YashaXTorvalPhryMrMelGibson

edited October 2018
    Bloodaxes said:
    Some tips I learned while playing the game till the end are:

1) Check the Pawn before taking it. Not only their gear and skills. If you're going to fight the Griffon (For example), see if the pawns you're taking have any experience fighting such creatures, and anything in the vicinity. Until they get the experience from creatures, they fight differently which could be more challenging.

2) If you're picking damage dealers, don't pick warrior, go for Fighter for melee or Ranger for ranged (A mage is good too but don't make a full team of casters or you'll be screwing yourself). Fighter is tankish, and will provide some protection from your ranged pawns. Strider is one of the most powerful classes so you could also pick them, but pawns don't know how to fully make it work. It's a hybrid class, but pawns don't fully use it's capabilities. One big problem of warriors, is they're one of the weakest classes in the game. Only thing good they have is their jump attack, and pawns don't abuse it.

My own pawn was always a strider like me, but she always ended up dead in the end dungeon because she kept going close. After researching a little, I found out how the ranger is a much better alternative to pawns if you want your dps to actually do something.

3) When selecting mages, be very careful of what spells they're using. Make sure they have some form of buff/s, a quick attacking spell and aoe. When fighting quick enemies, the last thing you want is for your casters to stand still casting some powerful spell which takes a long time.
    Yeah, the bestiary knowledge. I hope it gets removed or reworked when they decide to make DD2. They should just act as either you or their inclinations suggest them to. Doing crappy fights only because Pawns don't know a thing is...it is not fun(and just as infuriating as playing multiplayer with PUGs). And between realism and fun, fun should triumph pretty much always.
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member RarePosts: 4,156
    Well, I disagree. I find that sense of progression important in establishing improvement besides gaining levels and dealing more damage. 

To each their own I guess.
    YashaXGorweMrMelGibson

• mikeb0817mikeb0817 Member UncommonPosts: 76
    I hate the damn music at the start screen lol. Loved the game otherwise. I played as the magic warrior - forget the class name - was ages ago...
    Bloodaxes said:
    Well, I disagree. I find that sense of progression important in establishing improvement besides gaining levels and dealing more damage. 

To each their own I guess.
    Agreed. I just tend to like when you have your full gameplay ASAP. I don't find some incomplete gameplays fun neither do I find progression systems to be anything special too.
    mikeb0817 said:
    I hate the damn music at the start screen lol. Loved the game otherwise. I played as the magic warrior - forget the class name - was ages ago...
    Why do people hate that music?
  • markost22markost22 Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Dragon's Dogma is an excellent RPG that I think can largely stand up to a Skyrim or other Witcher.
    The major flaw is the AI but apart from that it is part of the best RPGs in my opinion

________________________________________________________________________________
    Gorwe
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 6,904
    And is on sale for 70% off 8.99 for the 3 days on Steam

NycteliosMrMelGibson
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 2,415
    Gorwe said:

mikeb0817 said:
    He might be talking about the start screen music in the original version (it was changed when they released the dark arisen edition).
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,633
    Want better Pawn controls then I'll repurchase and play it again!
    Gorwe
    Real Fans of Chess don't get bored!
    Real Fans of Soccer don’t get bored!
    Real Fans of Baseball don’t get bored!
    Real Fans of MMORPGs don’t get bored!
    What's your excuse?
    Now that I finished it, my only true complaints are that it is unfinished, the ending(I really don't like that mystic nonsense) and the pawns. Regardless, I can recommend everyone to try it out now that it's on a sale. Just don't rely on pawns too much. They can be powerful, but it requires commitment and a half.
    Want better Pawn controls then I'll repurchase and play it again!
    I bought it on the ps3, then got the dark arisen expansion, got it again when they released in on steam and bought it again on the ps4. 

Can't understand why Capcom keep releasing shitty Devil May Cry games when they have such an awesome IP in DD (although I did love the first DMC).
    mikeb0817MrMelGibsonGorwe
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    And now i want to play it again! Its a good game and a good PC port, which lately seems to be something that Capcom has forgotten how to do, some of the tips you guys have been giving though, curse you all, now i have to go play it.  :p
  • xelrahxelrah Member UncommonPosts: 40
    edited October 2018
    Gorwe said:
    Now that I finished it, my only true complaints are that it is unfinished, the ending(I really don't like that mystic nonsense) and the pawns. Regardless, I can recommend everyone to try it out now that it's on a sale. Just don't rely on pawns too much. They can be powerful, but it requires commitment and a half.
    Pawns are only as good as their inclinations and assigned skills. If you don't take care when managing those then they will not be so good, but proper party can do most content with you simply watching. Some examples include fighter pawns, which can sometimes execute several perfect blocks in a row if you give them 0 shield skills.

And I disagree with ending dislike, you can tell whatever you want about game's story up till you meet dragon again but after that it easily made up for weaker early parts. It also makes some more sense if you play Dark Arisen (bitterblack) content because it explains better how entire thing works in game's world.
    Gorwe said:
    Phry said:
    And now i want to play it again!
    YashaX
    xelrah said:
    I didn't like the music that much at first, but I really missed it when they took it out of the new versions. Brings back good memories ...
  • NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 3,557
    I'll always defend this game for allowing the gem of me being lifted in the air by a dragon as I slay it and fall to my glorious death.

Also check mods: They enhance the games visual.
    TorvalYashaX
    Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102 - GoG ID - 

"There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear." Izaro Phrecius, Holy Emperor of the Eternal Empire, Last of Royal Phrecius Family.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 13,131
    Gorwe said:
    Which ending? Killed the dragon, used Godsbane (and unlocked new game +) or the bottom of Bitterblack Isle?
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 2,925
    Gorwe said:
    well like I said before the game was rushed, what I said here was not my guessing, was a post from reddit and gamefaqs, peeps who still play mentioning why the game did look unfinished(with as you notice is pretty obvious)

for pawns I did a lot of research, my pawn was a ranger Liedoren(she should still be hireable on steam lol), not only skills and gear you need to check, but also her bestiary, and her inclinations, inclinations influence a lot of a pawn will do sometimes even when you have a maxed bestiary he will not fight as well as if he had a certain inclination, the game who 2 inclinations, but the pawn also act with the 3rd inclination as a smaller effect putting the utilitarian inclination will make the pawn battle better with his bestiary like holding enemys down for you to attack then, to grabing dragons or other bigger target to attack then, also sometimes you need to make the pawn without a weapon if you want him to use only the ranged, like a ranger only make then wear the longbow so she will be inclined to use it, putting the challenger inclination also helps on that. and don't forget to give the pawn commands

it also helps if you undertandhow each class works, teh fighter is pretty good better then warrior, warrior only have going is a higher hp pool on each lvl up, a fighter is more balanced and works better when it ahve no skills on it, he do a lot of perfect guard without skills, a mage is a supportive kind, he will do a lot better with casting elemental weapon enchants and heals, even more if you put utilitarian and medicant inclinations, some say its a lot better for first timers make a mage as a main pawn since you can make it use all supportive spells, sorcs are for offensive spells, they are not usefull in quick fights, helps a lot in bigger fights with the right spells and inclinations.

btw the magic fighter is mystic knight, pretty strong mixed class, but it helps having a better magic stat if you want to abuse his most usefull skill

I hope they improve the bestiary system with more things to do and unlock then make it simple or remove, that is pretty much a whole lvl of char development then most game never even thought of using
    YashaXPhry
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.