Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best in Slot Gear - What Should Be Required to Get It?

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I tend to agree with @Scorchien that as long as you have slots there will always be BIS just like there are best rotations and best ability builds in games that allow flexibility with those things as well.

It's in the nature of most players, myself included, to test and push things to try to achieve the best results with our game play.

But like I and others have already said in this thread, I much prefer having a range of BiS, best rotations and best skills for different situations and different types of game play.

The part of the OP I didn't like was the implication that in order to obtain that one and only BiS you needed to partake in every different part of the game whether you wanted to or not since different parts of that BIS came from different types of game play.

I already see where that idea leads and the resentment it causes in games like ESO where PvErs need to do some PvP to get a couple of abilities you can only get there that are essential to PvE builds and viceversa with PvPers needing to do some PvE content for gear essential for PvP (monster head and shoulders.)

That kind of game design just rubs me the wrong way since I dislike forced anything in MMOs.
    Scorchien[Deleted User]AlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• mmoloummolou Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Scorchien said:
     Now we go back to the now 7 who agree with the sentiment of                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  "I'd prefer no best in slot items personally."

And i would like anyone one of the now 8 to give us a reasonable and logical way of achieving this .. as none has been presented yet .. 

One way is to have gear be cosmetic only, contain no stats at all, and have any stat increases tied to character progression only.

You could have the basic stat increases tied to gaining levels, up to the level cap, and then have stat / trait improvements unlocked and increased through a skill tree (like WoW) or AAs (like EQ).

Once you hit the level cap, you carry on gaining XP, which translates to points that can be spent in the skill tree/AA system, improving stats and/or unlocking traits.
    TheScavenger
    It is a funny world we live in.
    We had Empires run by Emperors, we had Kingdoms run by Kings, now we have Countries...
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited October 2018
    mmolou said:
    Scorchien said:
     Now we go back to the now 7 who agree with the sentiment of                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  "I'd prefer no best in slot items personally."

And i would like anyone one of the now 8 to give us a reasonable and logical way of achieving this .. as none has been presented yet .. 

One way is to have gear be cosmetic only, contain no stats at all, and have any stat increases tied to character progression only.

You could have the basic stat increases tied to gaining levels, up to the level cap, and then have stat / trait improvements unlocked and increased through a skill tree (like WoW) or AAs (like EQ).

Once you hit the level cap, you carry on gaining XP, which translates to points that can be spent in the skill tree/AA system, improving stats and/or unlocking traits.
    Well you realize that then those skill tree and AA skills/traits now Become BiS , there would skills and AA/traits that would be most desirable to min/max whose numbers would give you the best benefit to class/combat ..

Similar to GW1 where the meat of the game is BiS skills that your slotting ..

Im ceratin you can already see the spreadsheets ...

" I want to build the best tank"

well here are the Skills/Traits and AA you need to max ..
        Even with diminishing returns the game would be disected down to exactly how many points would be Slotted into said AA/Traits and or skills giving you BIS build

There is no avoiding it

Iselin said:
    I tend to agree with @Scorchien that as long as you have slots there will always be BIS just like there are best rotations and best ability builds in games that allow flexibility with those things as well.

It's in the nature of most players, myself included, to test and push things to try to achieve the best results with our game play.

But like I and others have already said in this thread, I much prefer having a range of BiS, best rotations and best skills for different situations and different types of game play.

The part of the OP I didn't like was the implication that in order to obtain that one and only BiS you needed to partake in every different part of the game whether you wanted to or not since different parts of that BIS came from different types of game play.

I already see where that idea leads and the resentment it causes in games like ESO where PvErs need to do some PvP to get a couple of abilities you can only get there that are essential to PvE builds and viceversa with PvPers needing to do some PvE content for gear essential for PvP (monster head and shoulders.)

That kind of game design just rubs me the wrong way since I dislike forced anything in MMOs.
    This is true of course, but you have counters for that...
    Asheron's Call 1 had random stats on loot, and also of course classless character development.
    So:
    1) You had very little chance to get a true BIS. You would approach, but you always had the chance to get even better.
    2) No classes means each character is unique and requires different gear sets.

I also like the idea of "best" items being different depending on your play style, and not just the class and spec you are forced into.
    I played AC and I honestly thought that their extreme RNG stats on gear was annoying and led to some very goofy results at times. But they get a pass from me for a lot of their idiosyncrasies because it was early days for MMOs - someone had to try all this shit first :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited October 2018
    Iselin said:

This is true of course, but you have counters for that...
    Asheron's Call 1 had random stats on loot, and also of course classless character development.
    So:
    1) You had very little chance to get a true BIS. You would approach, but you always had the chance to get even better.
    2) No classes means each character is unique and requires different gear sets.

I also like the idea of "best" items being different depending on your play style, and not just the class and spec you are forced into.
    No

1 AC yes had Random loot but it also had rare named drops that were BiS

2.. even from the Random Loot table there was still BIS .. of course as we all know loot table contains a set of stats and mods that can be maxed .. This was discussed above ..

And i know you are aware of AC rare named drops

And no classes but there are still many guides showing you how to build to attain the best build and what items to strive for that were BiS ..

This was a BiS item for several builds in AC for years .. there are countless examples of this ..

Heres another entire set that was BiS for a long time ...

Now it matters little if your friend has the Chestpiece but it has 2% less fire resist on it from the pull .. Its still BiS item availble to your build ..

And as we all know the enhancement and weapon improvement kits made any differences negeligble as you could tweak the gear anyhow .. Annnd we are right back to BiS

http://asheron.wikia.com/wiki/Breastplate_of_Leikotha's_Tears

• mmoloummolou Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Scorchien said:
    mmolou said:
    Scorchien said:

Well you realize that then those skill tree and AA skills/traits now Become BiS , there would skills and AA/traits that would be most desirable to min/max whose numbers would give you the best benefit to class/combat ..

Even with diminishing returns the game would be disected down to exactly how many points would be Slotted into said AA/Traits and or skills giving you BIS build

There is no avoiding it

Of course, having a points based skill tree or AA system to improve stats/traits would lead to points spent in one place being better than points spent in another place, and it would lead to cookie cutter builds in the skill tree/AA.

But that is not BiS as is being discussed in this thread.
    TheScavenger
    It is a funny world we live in.
    We had Empires run by Emperors, we had Kingdoms run by Kings, now we have Countries...
    mmolou said:
    Scorchien said:
    mmolou said:
    Scorchien said:

There is no avoiding it

Of course, having a points based skill tree or AA system to improve stats/traits would lead to points spent in one place being better than points spent in another place, and it would lead to cookie cutter builds in the skill tree/AA.

But that is not BiS as is being discussed in this thread.
    It most certainly is , once you remove the gear .. Now you must slot the BiS skills/AA traits etc ..

again this is what GW1 is .. slotting the BiS elite skills .. gear is negigble at end game .. altho there is still BiS gear .. it is not the core of your build ..Your BiS skills are
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    There should be no such thing as best in slot. Your play style should determine whats best for you.

See ESO.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    bcbully said:
    There should be no such thing as best in slot. Your play style should determine whats best for you.

See ESO.
    ESo has BIS
    Scorchien said:
    I'd prefer no best in slot items personally.
    So im still waiting for one of you 5 gentleman to offer us a reasonable and logical way to achieving a game with No BiS , no examples that do this have been given ....Im very curious as to how this could be achieved
    Buy ESO and play it. You'll see.
    edited October 2018
    bcbully said:
    Scorchien said:
    I'd prefer no best in slot items personally.
    So im still waiting for one of you 5 gentleman to offer us a reasonable and logical way to achieving a game with No BiS , no examples that do this have been given ....Im very curious as to how this could be achieved
    Buy ESO and play it. You'll see.
    I play it im at CP lvl 235.. ESO most certainly has BIS gear
    edited October 2018
    Scorchien said:
    bcbully said:

See ESO.
    ESo has BIS
    Not even close man. I can make a world beating build form the most common gear on the market based on my play style.

Hundreds of gear sets, thousands of skill combinations. There is no BiS in ESO.
    [Deleted User]
    bcbully said:
    Scorchien said:
    bcbully said:

See ESO.
    ESo has BIS
    Not even close man. I can make a world beating build form the most common gear on the market based on my play style.

Hundreds of gear sets, thousands of skill combinations. There is no BiS in ESO.
    Yes there are hundreds of combos , but there are still BiS set ups for every class/encounter /period

ill add that some  endgame groups will boot you immdiatley , if you do not have BIS equipped for the run ..
    Here is some great BiS builds that address gear and skills for pve and pvp..

Iselin
    bcbully said:

See ESO.
    You're a PvPer not a raider. For PvP ESO is relatively BIS-free although some would argue that.

For the highest difficulty raiding content and hitting 40K+ DPS there most certainly is BiS gear as well as BiS skills for each class and build.
    Scorchien

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    bcbully said:

See ESO.
    You're a PvPer not a raider. For PvP ESO is relatively BIS-free although some would argue that.

For the highest difficulty raiding content and hitting 40K+ DPS there most certainly is BiS gear as well as BiS skills for each class and build.
    I do it all. There was no BiS Nightblade main heal set. I made what fit my play style and still bounced from set to set.
    Iselin said:
    bcbully said:

See ESO.

What percentage of the total content of the game is that specific content ?
    and even then there are several options for each skill combination.
    edited October 2018
    Iselin said:
    bcbully said:

See ESO.

Tiny but that's the crowd that crunches and re-crunches numbers the most and they come up with consensus BiS decisions by putting in much more time into testing than you and I put into all of our gaming.

I'm not promoting that kind of play and I'm usually the first to jump on posters who claim that ESO is all about the cookie cutter builds because for 95% of the game those builds are irrelevant.

But irrelevant for most of us does not mean it isn't there.

As to your edit, yeah all kind of ignorant shit is said on the ESO forums lol. Look at Alcast, Woeler and those guys who actually crunch the numbers. You'll see the same BiS builds with the same skills and gear.

And they are also very up to date and live on the PTS when skill changes, new gear and new skill lines come into the game and they test those and change the BiS where appropriate.
    Scorchien

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    bcbully said:

See ESO.

Tiny but that's the crowd that crunches and re-crunches numbers the most and they come up with consensus BiS decisions by putting in much more time into testing than you and I put into all of our gaming.

I'm not promoting that kind of play and I'm usually the first to jump on posters who claim that ESO is all about the cookie cutter builds because for 95% of the game those builds are irrelevant.

Yup it there and to add you better be the right race for your role  , or you numbers will fall behind , and you will be exposed and removed ...

yes BIS race.. exists
    Iselin
  • VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757
    I always liked a variety of BiS items. In EQ, sure there were BiS items, but when they added focus effects, 1 item might be clearly the best for a slot, but if I had that effect already, it wasn't really best for me.

I remember having 3 pieces of armor and a friend having a different 3, but we ended up with the same stats and foci. When combining pieces and adding in effects and bonuses, a BiS for a single item doesn't make it the optimal choice. 

In other games I even kept a lesser piece for a set bonus that added unique skills that suited my playstyle.

Also, there have been many times I have seen something listed as the BiS item, and I thought it was garbage. Someone might think haste is better, then a month later, its crit, then dodge to stay alive longer to do more damage.

What is "best" changes so often that it is good to have multiple top tier items to let people decide what is best for them. That is why I always liked items that had special abilities. It really shakes up the idea of "best".

Scorchien said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    bcbully said:

See ESO.

Yup it there and to add you better be the right race for your role  , or you numbers will fall behind , and you will be exposed and removed ...

yes BIS race.. exists
    Yup. My characters are 90% Redguard or Altmer for that reason. If I were serious about tanking I'd have a lizard in there too though.

And Reguard women are hot! :)
    Scorchien[Deleted User]

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Scorchien said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    bcbully said:

See ESO.

yes BIS race.. exists
    Yup. My characters are 90% Redguard or Altmer for that reason. If I were serious about tanking I'd have a lizard in there too though.

No mention to a Nord for tanking, as opposed to most of the community ?
    Strange, right....
    Argonians after they got their racials buffed became the de facto best tanking race.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited October 2018
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Scorchien said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    bcbully said:

See ESO.

yes BIS race.. exists

No mention to a Nord for tanking, as opposed to most of the community ?
    Strange, right....
    Argonians after they got their racials buffed became the de facto best tanking race.
    More subjective based on the perception of buffs than objective.
    But whatever.

Most people told me that tanking with a nighblade was silly. I'm still doing just fine.

I also tanked my way up to heroic server firsts in WoW back when DK tanks were supposed to be the worse during WotLK.

So yeah... number crunching is cute, but at the end, the player's play style and also skill makes a difference too. Even more in games like ESO based on skills more than classes.
    You can tank with any class and any race and you can also be a Nord sorcerer if you want. And as long as you live in the overland zones and normal dungeons you'll do just fine. Heck, with enough CP you'll even excel.

There's still that best thing though and I bet you there aren't any Nord sorcerers getting invited to hard mode raids :)  You'll even get funny looks in Vet dungeons if you do that.

Here is Alcast's top 3 recommended races for a raid tank:

Argonian (Recommended)
    Imperial
    Orc

And here is Woeler (the acknowledged #1 ESO tanking Guru)

1. Argonian -> Extra healing output and input, plus a built in resource management system and a health bonus.
    2. Imperial -> 12% health is still a massive bonus that cannot be neglected.
    3. Nord / Orc -> Both have good tanking traits, but are not as strong as the ones listed above.

Notice any similarities? :)
    [Deleted User]

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    I wouldn't mind BiS, and all the different ways to earn them. I would just settle for the 2nd or 3rd BiS for the raid and arena PvP slots, as I never raid or get that deep into PvP, but think those that do should definitely be rewarded for their work.

With that said, I think Raiding peeps and PvP peeps would need different Stats/Gear as the gameplay has different demands of the player. I don't think PvP gear should work outside of PvP, and I don't think Raid gear should work in PvP.

The last thing I would want is for any slot to be earned with cash/cash shop shit.

Crafting slots or maybe tools/shops could be BiS and earned by becoming Master Craftpeeps.

If we don't have the time to invest in earning the BiS's, then we'll just have to settle for less than BiS...

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

No funny looks in Vet dungeons with my Nightblade tank though... but granted, I only do guild runs. It's been a while since I bothered enduring the retards in PUGs.

In WoW too, it was only guild raids. And we had no problem being server first with out supposed non "BIS" compo, because well... maybe we were just good? My raid leader back then was a guy who started during Vanilla as a Paladin tank and did all the content back then including Naxx with that spec. Anyone who played WoW back then knows what it means.

The mold only exists if you let yourself being pushed into it.
    I love my NB healer/tank set-up. I can do both at once just fine :)

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Iselin said:

Especially the forced "paying" part.

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon