Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which King's Quest to start with?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
Hey guys,

I tried a King's Quest game on PC in the 90s and loved it.  I can't remember which one it was...All I remember is that if you wandered the wrong way in a desert, a little scorpion would run out and sting you, killing you.  Anyway, I was thinking of picking up some of the series on GOG.  Does anyone know which one I played?  Or, does anyone have a recommendation as to a good jumping-on point for the series?  I'm afraid the originals from the 80s might be a little too dated to enjoy.

Thanks!

Comments

• kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520
    I'd just grab the whole series if you enjoy those types of games. I think you can buy the collection on GOG or Steam. 
  • migthefigmigthefig Member UncommonPosts: 37
    I'm pretty sure your talking about Kings Quest V: Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder.  If you want to play them now, start with the first.  You can play the older one but if you want  google Kings Quest remake and  the AGD interactive site has the first 3  free for download and they are remastered. A lot more fun to play. 

Leiloni[Deleted User]gervaise1
  • wesjrwesjr Member UncommonPosts: 506
    I preferred Space and Police Quest but all were a lot of fun back in the 80's  i agree with
    @Migthefig though, try the remakes.
    migthefig
  • migthefigmigthefig Member UncommonPosts: 37
    edited July 2018
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8Ktb9qBv2M

Is this the scorpion your talking about ?
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    migthefig said:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8Ktb9qBv2M

Is this the scorpion your talking about ?
    Thanks for the help, guys!  Yeah, that's the little bastard.
    migthefigYukmarc
  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    Hero's Quest (originally so you want to be a hero) was in my opinion a superior series to Kings's Quest.  They were both good though.
    migthefig
  • wandericawanderica Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Hey guys,

I tried a King's Quest game on PC in the 90s and loved it.  I can't remember which one it was...All I remember is that if you wandered the wrong way in a desert, a little scorpion would run out and sting you, killing you.  Anyway, I was thinking of picking up some of the series on GOG.  Does anyone know which one I played?  Or, does anyone have a recommendation as to a good jumping-on point for the series?  I'm afraid the originals from the 80s might be a little too dated to enjoy.

Thanks!
    One of my favorite series.  The Roberta Williams Anthology is on Steam, and it includes KQ1 - 7.  8 is worth playing, if you can find it, but its style is way different.  It's full 3D with 3rd person controls, but all of the good puzzles are still there.  The one you're talking about is 5, I think.  1 - 4 had the old text based controls.  walk east, look log, get axe, use axe on log, etc.  5 onwards are mouse based and a lot more modern in feel.

If you wanted something newer, a reboot was released back in 2015.  https://store.steampowered.com/app/345390/Kings_Quest/  It is amazing.  Christopher Lloyd is the voice of the wise, and old, King Graham recounting his adventures to his granddaughter.  It uses Unreal 4 with hand painted textures, and manages to preserve the beauty of the original games while looking extremely modern in the process.  King's Quest was the first thing I ever played on a PC, and I was hooked on adventure games ever since.  It's a great series, and still worth a play through today if you enjoy a relaxing story that makes you use your brain a bit to solve.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    centkin said:
    Hero's Quest (originally so you want to be a hero) was in my opinion a superior series to Kings's Quest.  They were both good though.
    Yes! It's because of the Hero's Quest games that I stuck with the PC genre. Best games ever.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    V
  • El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760
    Kings Quest III:  To Heir is Human.  Is by far my favorite.  

I've got the straight edge.