Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Revisit: customize your class theme.

When I say customize your class theme I mean being able to change the appearance of your attacks and spells without changing the stats behind it.  

For me I don't always like themes of classes even though I may like the way it plays. For example I like lightning magic and melee.  Most games lack this.  What harm would it be to give my warrior's attacks or wizard's spells electrical effects if the stats behind it don't change?

I mean developers could even sell effects in the cash shop (*puke*).  Now that is something I might buy.
Gorwe

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Champions Online lets you change the color of some effects.  But if you want totally different animations, that will add a lot to the cost of developing the game.  If there are a lot of very different options of what a particular skill can look like, it will also make it impractical to recognize which skill is being used by looking at it.
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Path of Exile kind of does this in a couple of ways. 

1) They have skins for almost every magical effect
    2) Different skills kind of do the same thing with a twist, so you could have a large AoE cold skill and have a large AoE fire skill cover a similar area. 

I see your point though, I believe the more customization the better. 

Cryomatrix
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    What happens when you see another 2 or 3 players of the same class with the exact same effect? This is about "being unique", right?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    AlBQuirky said:
    What happens when you see another 2 or 3 players of the same class with the exact same effect? This is about "being unique", right?
    More about my character being what I want.  Like why do i have to be a fire mage instead just let me lightning.

AlBQuirky
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited September 2018
    Archeage did something like this with successor/ancestral skills. The changes weren't simply aesthetic, they had combat applications.

I think the more balanced skiilly variations you provide to players, the more engaged they become.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    AlBQuirky said:
    More about my character being what I want.  Like why do i have to be a fire mage instead just let me lightning.

Ah... That makes sense ;)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    When I was a scripter in SecondLife this was something I did this for people in Role Playing Sims a few times(combat was similar to darkfall with the twitch based swing/hit thing, complete with all the glide-y-ness, and continuous circle spin strafing).  And was working on getting the effects down so that my weapons were summoned similar to soul bound weapons.  

The scripts I used were remade from the ground up to be dumb simple, compared to the 3 printed pages that the commercial blades had.  It was fun.  Though most people kind of wasted it since they did not have the skills for it.   Or when they did they didn't have the skills to make a particularly refined version. 

Or used it to do really really silly things, like the bling craze that was a particle effect that made jewelry sparkle...  this was obviously brought to a very memetastic conclusion.  Especially after someone made a user friendly version that anyone could use.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    While I am all for new ways to customize my character and his effects, this would just be something else to sell me. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Gorwe said:
    I don't know why this topic's often overlooked. Ok, I get it, animations and $$$. But when's the last time you saw a TRUE Water mage(no, not the Ice mage)? The only things that come to mind are Warden in Rift and Nami in LoL. Ditto for Earth Magic and Volcanic Magic. Latter is much more prevalent while for the former? I guess GW's Earth Ele's fair enough and, ofc, Taric in LoL(but he's kinda more of an Earth Domain Cleric / Paladin ; that sort of a thing) and perhaps Liberator in Rift, but that's it.
    I'm not sure how "universal" this is, but the MMOs I've played, the specific spells have the effects, not the mage, in this case. I've never seen (doesn't mean there isn't one) a "Fireball Spell" that was ice or water "looking."

It seems to me that if one wishes to play a "Fire Mage", choose fire based spells to cast. It shouldn't be about a "Flame Spell" that has an "Ice Effect" because you play an "Ice Mage." I guess if it is "just cosmetic", an "Iceball" from an Ice Mage could be like a Fireball Spell with an Ice effect...

Am I missing the point?

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR