Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest to Expand for the 25th Time This December with The Burning Lands - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageEverQuest to Expand for the 25th Time This December with The Burning Lands - MMORPG.com

EverQuest Producer Lauren "Mooncast" McLemore has announced the game's 25th expansion that will be ready to go in December. Called The Burning Lands, new content will include a trip to the elemental Planes where "air and fire will play a big role in [the] upcoming adventures". As a bit of a teaser, the post shows off an upcoming monster, something that looks suspiciously like a burning snail!

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BeezerbeezBeezerbeez Member UncommonPosts: 302
    edited October 2018
    I love teasters. Edit: Aww, you fixed it :)
    Post edited by Beezerbeez on
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    25th my goodness that is nuts.
    Beezerbeezwingood

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    edited October 2018
    It's great to see such an esteemed veteran to the genre expand, but it does still sting that EQN was canceled and the series won't see a modern addition.
    RueTheWhirl
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I no longer play EQ. But it makes me feel good that it still exists.
    Slapshot1188ScotTacticalZombehwingood

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• PartieplayinPartieplayin Member UncommonPosts: 93
    So is the expansion for EQ or EQ2 ?
  • MalathoosMalathoos Member UncommonPosts: 199
    original everquest, the next expansion for EQ2 is coming soon as well

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Good for them!!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    It is great for them .. but wtf .. really back to the Planes again and again and errr ... cmon man ..
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I really wish that if they were going to release new expansions, they'd actually bother to create some new places and not just recycle old ideas.  Give us a runaway moon (it's far past 1999 anyway) that the gods and players have to work together to avoid a catastrophe.  Or give us a lost underwater continent that was swept beneath the waves eons ago, only to reemerge to threaten the proper Norrathians.  How about an ultra portal that leads to an entirely new planet?  Something different, just not a retooling of old zones and ideas.  (I wonder at times if these developers are allowed to have ideas of their own).

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    I'd like to see a new re-make of EverQuest series, but I think all the good developers are no longer around at least not with DBG );.

SOE before DBG had many good Intellectual Properties, SWG, Planet Side, Ever Quest / Champions OF Norrath on the PS2, all these made for great online games, Sony could have made Champions of Norrath, an Online Game similar to Diablo, and made the Re-Make of EverQuest series but failed.
  • RogerCarletonRogerCarleton Member CommonPosts: 2
    Is this expansion geared to only uber guild like the last couple?
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    they can create 25 expansions but not a new game?
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    whoa amazing this thing is still going
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• BluelinerBlueliner Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Renoaku said:
    I'd like to see a new re-make of EverQuest series, but I think all the good developers are no longer around at least not with DBG );.

SOE before DBG had many good Intellectual Properties, SWG, Planet Side, Ever Quest / Champions OF Norrath on the PS2, all these made for great online games, Sony could have made Champions of Norrath, an Online Game similar to Diablo, and made the Re-Make of EverQuest series but failed.
    You are correct, they are now working hard on Pantheon
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    make EQ 3!
    Scot
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824

they can create 25 expansions but not a new game?

You do have something there. :)
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    edited October 2018

Mendel said:

I really wish that if they were going to release new expansions, they'd actually bother to create some new places and not just recycle old ideas.  Give us a runaway moon (it's far past 1999 anyway) that the gods and players have to work together to avoid a catastrophe.  Or give us a lost underwater continent that was swept beneath the waves eons ago, only to reemerge to threaten the proper Norrathians.  How about an ultra portal that leads to an entirely new planet?  Something different, just not a retooling of old zones and ideas.  (I wonder at times if these developers are allowed to have ideas of their own).

Because that would require an actual monetary investment. You know... having a decent sized team of "senior" artists, developers, designers, animators, writers, etc.
    Not a bunch of "juniors" rehashing old content, change some texture colors here and there and release it as an expansion pack, like they have done for EQ1 and EQ2 for the past 10 years or so now.

EverQuest 2 hasn't gotten a "real" full blown expansion since Rise of Kunark. That was back in 2007!!
  • ET3DET3D Member UncommonPosts: 325
    edited October 2018

JeroKane said:

Not a bunch of "juniors" rehashing old content, change some texture colors here and there and release it as an expansion pack, like they have done for EQ1 and EQ2 for the past 10 years or so now.

EverQuest 2 hasn't gotten a "real" full blown expansion since Rise of Kunark. That was back in 2007!!

That's a little cynical, I'd say. Haven't played EQ1, but EQ2 has seen quite a few changes after Rise of Kunark, including new zones, new systems and quite a bit of overhaul. Perhaps there might have been no single 'full blown expansion' (by some definition), but I'd say that the changes since Rise of Kunark are a lot more than a 'full blown expansion' worth. They're certainly a lot more than 'rehashing old content, change some texture colours'.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    edited October 2018
    ET3D said:

JeroKane said:

That's a little cynical, I'd say. Haven't played EQ1, but EQ2 has seen quite a few changes after Rise of Kunark, including new zones, new systems and quite a bit of overhaul. Perhaps there might have been no single 'full blown expansion' (by some definition), but I'd say that the changes since Rise of Kunark are a lot more than a 'full blown expansion' worth. They're certainly a lot more than 'rehashing old content, change some texture colours'.
    Nothing cynical about it. I played EQ2 a lot till about couple years ago when I finally gave up, since pretty much everyone I knew had left. Was quite a huge guild from which no one is left anymore.

All the changes and overhauls you mention weren't for the better, but terrible and hated by most.
    The sole reason was to simplify and streamline everything to make it even easier and cheaper to churn out future expansions.

All expansion after Rise of Kunark have been small in comparison. A small overland zone you finished in a week (even for casuals) and then it was on to the gear grind in Dungeons and Raids.
    Some of the expansions had at least an interesting Signature quest line now and then, but really in the end the expansions were just lack luster. 

In the end I spend more time rolling ALTs to go through older content, since that was more fun than the new expansion packs.
    Until they botched up the itemisation in the old zones with the "failed" itemisation overhaul that practically messed up the entire itemisation in pre level-80 content!
    Something they never bothered to fix and were heavily critized for! SOE (at that time) rather wanted people just to buy the level 80 jump potions and let you forget the pre-level 80 content still existed!  Total farce! Especially since they spend so much effort creating guided levelling paths through the old content with updated rewards, just to screw it up with a broken re-itemization script! Testers on the Test Server even warned SOE about it that it was broken, but they just pushed ahead and ran it on the Live servers anyway! /Facepalm

It was after that, that I finally threw the towel in the ring and just left and stopped playing.