Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Returning to Guild Wars 2: That Pesky Itemization - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    edited September 2018
    Bananable said:
    WTF?

"Itemization"
    What does it even mean? Theres inventory management, but never heard about this one.

"returning players"
    Really? It looks like it for the people that never played this game before.

"Buy Slots - Yes or no?" >.>
    Um...go create f2p account and try to play with what you have.

GW2 has the best loot/inventory management system i ever seen (TESO is close but still sadly worse.It has so much useless drops like (bazilion kinds of) poisons and (mana/health/stamina) potions. And bag upgardes are costly for a newbie ).
    Seriously you can go try ffxiv (I played long ago, it was awfull - so much gear and tiny just bag) or rift or even Teso.

GW2:
    1.You can buy bags for gold (craft) (even 20 slots bag is cheap).
    2.You can store crafting mats in the bank. (No matter where you are).
    3.You can sell junk on TP (auction) (No matter where you are.)
    GEM STORE.
    4.You can buy (for gold!) bank slots and stack upgarde/bag slot/account shared slots. Additional char slot (not sure what limit is, i have 17)
    According to that picture (461gold?) i assume you know how to make money.

"The way Guild Wars 2 seemingly inundates players with items, lootboxes, crafting materials, gathering tools, gear and collectibles is borderline sociopathic on the part of ArenaNet."
    Again according to that picture i assume you have unlimited tools. I put them into account shared slots when i change chars. (But it just me, Im not rich, I think alot of other players have unlimited tools on every char.)

Plus those nice (minor) things.
    *Wallet. Your gold is account shared. (I have 8 chars in TESO and its so annoying to run to the bank everytime my alt runsout of money)
    *Luck - consume all option.
    *Craft multiple items at once.
    *Legendary and ascended gear are account shared.

"Currencies, Luck and Karma – Oh My!

Finally, we’ll touch on currencies, luck, and Karma. Currencies and special items will eventually clog your inventory, as it seems like there are dozens of in-inventory currencies and no place to put them."

Huh? Karma? You mean jugs? Why to keep em, just consume it.

"This is also the same for Luck, which you can obtain many different ways, but most commonly you get it from breaking down gear. "

Um...i dont get it. First you say "Too much (useless) loot" later you admit theres easy way to get rid of it - just destroy it. But even after that you still not happy: "Save me Superman, Batman, Fatman...Im drowning in luck".
    Just consume it too. >.>

"With each new story change and with each added content update, more items flood the inventories"

Not mine, i quit the game. Nou mou lut flud fou mou. :P

"If I were to sit and detail every facet of itemization, we could be here for a very long while"
    Lolz. I agree its bad to be "here". Runaway, (from this site) you, fools! (◠ω◠)

I still dont get it why you started this in the first place...adverteasing? *wink* *wink* *wink* :P
    I have played both eso and GW2 for a long time, sad to say but this article is spot on. All my bank slots are full, every character has 20 or 18 slot bags all full, all my crafting slots are full. You try and empty stuff out and you get hit with the endless stacks of Russian-doll like loot boxes. Its very annoying/discouraging to face this when I try to "return" to GW2.

Nice to see an article address this issue and give some advice on how to handle it. 

maskedweasel[Deleted User]
  • evolgrinzevolgrinz Member UncommonPosts: 151
    There is a good reason for all these different currencies and it is to keep all content viable in the game.
    It's why you still have a lot of activity on the HoT maps, even after PoF.
    I have bought 3 bank tab extentions, mainly because I am working on several legendary items and use them to store parts for them + I am raiding a lot, so I use 1 tab to store all the ascended weapons and boxes I get.
    Kyleranmaskedweasel
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    This is an aspect that can actually chase me away when I try to return. I will log in look at the mess of my inventory and log out and uninstall. I appreciate the article.
    YashaXMadFrenchiemaskedweaselJeffSpicoli
    Chamber of Chains
  • zanzarothzanzaroth Member UncommonPosts: 40
    where is the guide? i only see a screenshot and a small paragraph with a few sentences.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    zanzaroth said:
    where is the guide? i only see a screenshot and a small paragraph with a few sentences.
    Click on the part that says

Read the full story here

For the rest
    maskedweasel[Deleted User]
    Chamber of Chains
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Unbino said:
    Super guide for New players: sell all you dont need. When you need an item, buy it.
    Not particularly good advice in GW2 I'm afraid.  It all depends on what you want to do, if you're a crafter, you're going to need to hoard a lot of items. If you're not interested in crafting, legendaries, or ascended gear, which is completely fine, you can simply sell everything that comes your way.. except .. y'know.. like currencies that don't go in the currency tab, quest items that either get used up, or deleted... there's a lot of items that also just hang in your inventory that you can't sell from quests -- and the interesting thing is, they don't show up in the sell tabs OR the auction tabs -- -- 

So players that don't take note of what's in their bags may have unused spaces for items they can't sell either way, and they may have to delete them, use them, or whatever.

It's a very convoluted system.  I played with a friend who just came back, he was really confused after being bombarded with all the stuff in game.  It really is a lot to consider, and selling all of it doesn't always work.

Plus, lets not forget that if you come upon something like precursors, those sell for a ton on the AH, but many ascended items, you can't sell on the AH, but wouldn't want to sell to a vendor either, it would be a complete waste.
    El-HefeYashaX[Deleted User]

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760
    Unbino said:
    Super guide for New players: sell all you dont need. When you need an item, buy it.
    Not particularly good advice in GW2 I'm afraid.  It all depends on what you want to do, if you're a crafter, you're going to need to hoard a lot of items. If you're not interested in crafting, legendaries, or ascended gear, which is completely fine, you can simply sell everything that comes your way.. except .. y'know.. like currencies that don't go in the currency tab, quest items that either get used up, or deleted... there's a lot of items that also just hang in your inventory that you can't sell from quests -- and the interesting thing is, they don't show up in the sell tabs OR the auction tabs -- -- 

So players that don't take note of what's in their bags may have unused spaces for items they can't sell either way, and they may have to delete them, use them, or whatever.

It's a very convoluted system.  I played with a friend who just came back, he was really confused after being bombarded with all the stuff in game.  It really is a lot to consider, and selling all of it doesn't always work.

Plus, lets not forget that if you come upon something like precursors, those sell for a ton on the AH, but many ascended items, you can't sell on the AH, but wouldn't want to sell to a vendor either, it would be a complete waste.
    I thought it when the game launched and I still think it now, a few years later.  But they decided to inconvenience players so they could sell bag space on the cash shop.  Because,  you know that it's "just cosmetic".

I've got the straight edge.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    El-Hefe said:
    Unbino said:

I thought it when the game launched and I still think it now, a few years later.  But they decided to inconvenience players so they could sell bag space on the cash shop.  Because,  you know that it's "just cosmetic".
    It's actually a solid business plan, because you don't NEED to buy more bag space, but inventory management is just difficult enough that if you aren't meticulous about what you do with materials, you will drive yourself crazy if you don't buy it.  Personally I've ended up buying several bag slots and inventory upgrades over the years, and I feel they were worth it, but most of them are pretty full still, even with all the bank expansions and material expansions I've purchased.

You can earn enough gold to transfer to gems to get them all, but, jeez, it's a lot of work to do it that way.