Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com : General : Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Character Creation Trailer

2»

Comments

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    edited September 2018
    While I enjoy the core game, it is a mess at the moment and I'd like to issue a personal BUYER BEWARE PSA to wait until they have time to patch the game.  It's pretty much at Early-Access quality right now and was released too early.

The encounter algorithm is bad -- though they're actively working on it through hotfixes.  The ratings of enemies do not match Pathfinder 3.5 in most cases (a cr2, for example, has an AC of 19 in 3.5 but 26 in game -- almost impossible to hit for a level 1 or 2 party, and it yields less than a cr1 in experience) and experience gained is only 1/3rd at best for encounters.  There was a 50% penalty hit rate for some magic that was kept for the release but fixed in one of the hotfixes.  The recruitment of characters -- making your own adventure team as opposed to traveling with pregens -- is behind a 2,000 gold wall (which increased with each level) -- and was recently broken by the 1.01 patch and still isn't fixed with 1.02 at the moment.  There is also a bug that causes the game to no respond on most computers that I've tried... those who looked on steam probably see a lot of people who can't even boot it up.  Though this is a matter of patience, as it will load if you just let it do its thing and not close it. 

They also throw intricate Pathfinder mechanics at you at the start with swarms and trolls and other things.  Such as needing an AoE spell at level 1 / 2 to kill a swarm, as they can't be killed by melee weapons.  So you need to buy a bunch of fire potions to even complete the first side quest of the game, or you will wipe as you can't escape from the swarm once you realize you're doing zero damage with your entire party.  Then immunities like trolls and you needing to interrupt regeneration to be able to kill it as it stays at 1HP forever from any attack except fire or acid.  No attempts to teach pathfinder mechanics to new players.  Though they recently hotfixed in that the first side quest NPC gives you six explosive potions.

They also hotfixed the very first world map encounter in the game because they overtuned it.  As well as made it so the Storymode monsters no longer have the immunities above, as people who just wanted to play through the story were getting stomped by unknown pathfinder mechanics.  But these things should have been looked into during testing.

The game is great beyond that.  But honestly, until they patch most of that stuff, it isn't worth the price paid.  Another point of immersion breaking is that each class is forced to wear some addon like a backpack or hood that you can never take off.  As well as missing spells for classes in the 3.5 edition, text misplaced and some skills not working like they should.  Some people also dislike the artificial time limit at the start and later in the game, as it may disrupt the joy of exploration for them.
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.