Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you think MMO developers dislike player housing?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
Just curious, but could there perhaps be a collective dislike of Player Housing in the MMO Developer Community? If so, whats some things that may have developers look at such a feature in a negative way?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    To do it right you need a game it is designed around or yeah just as well not have.  It adds little to the average murder bum themeparks of the last 14 years

One way to do it is have urban development.  10s of thousands of either plots or premade houses in cities. Teleporters to get you to regions of the urban sprawl. This way abandon houses look like ordinary homes and less of an eye sore.  
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    You don't see player housing in most games. It can't be a coincidence. 
    AlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    I don't know how developer's feel about player housing,  but I do know it is a feature I don't require to enjoy playing a MMORPG.

If included it has to provide some sort of functional utility, strictly cosmetic housing can be left out from my perspective.
    AlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I actually thoroughly enjoy housing. I just got back into Conan Exiles and to see the beautiful structures people build is fantastic. 

I loved SWG housing and I agree that empty plots can be an eyesore but I'd like housing done in the following format. 

- Certain places cannot have houses (roads, NPC towns, cities, etc)
    - Certain places can only have epic housing (meaning takes a lot to earn)
    - Certain places can have housing just for clans/guilds/whatever
    - Houses require upkeep and maintenance. 
    - Mobs attack houses so a thrall/defense system is required.
    - The game would require either subscription to own a house or cash shop item to own a house. The cost is going to be monthly. 
    - If you leave game or don't pay, your house gets packaged up and leaves its footsprint, if you come back, you can place your house with all of its items in a new location. 
    - You can pay forward so your house can be up for months. Requires both cash shop/regular subscription and in-game currency. 
    - Based on the items in your house, you get small bonuses.
                      - 10 items = +1% health, 20 items = +2% health etc
     - Certain epic items give more bonuses
     - Anyone who enters your house can get these bonuses as long as the owner is there and gives it to them. 

The game should be ridiculously large via the map and it would be great to going exploring in a massive jungle and after an hour of exploring you run into a player made cottage :)

That's my idea for housing. 

Cryomatrix
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    It probably varies from dev to dev. Some probably enjoy working on it, others don't. But yeah, as some said, it has to be worth it for them too. They have to be able to justify putting all the development resources to do it right.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Odd.  If I were a developer, especially one with an established game and a mostly idle art staff (that I wasn't laying off for whatever reason), I'd turn my artists loose to build housing assets to put in my cash shop.  So, I'd look at housing as a auxiliary revenue source.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    My first mmo was Anarchy Online back in 2000. It came with housing and had a little mission for you to pick where you wanted to live. You could pick where ever you wanted. So i just don't get why player housing is an issue in modern mmo's. To me they are just trying to figure out how to make money with it today. Or its just not important for devs to waste time with it.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Mendel said:
    Odd.  If I were a developer, especially one with an established game and a mostly idle art staff (that I wasn't laying off for whatever reason), I'd turn my artists loose to build housing assets to put in my cash shop.  So, I'd look at housing as a auxiliary revenue source.

Most artists, other than a handful for post release content, on staff move on to other projects or were contractors to begin with. The majority of studio houses do not keep a full staff of artists on the payroll. 

That's one way I'd hope to be different.  Hire good talent in core positions, develop them and retain them.  That way, I'd be positioned to develop follow-on products -- DLCs, expansions and sequels, plus support for any marketing or advertising campaigns.

[Deleted User]

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Well...

Housing doesn't work in themepark MMOs

Either housing is too useful and everyone uses it, making dead cities (EQ2 for example is a prime example)

its useless and has no point in being in the game (which tbh is LOTRO despite me liking some parts of it). Even more useless is BDO housing.

It works far better in sandbox MMOs

In UO housing is very useful, but because its a sandbox MMO you still are enticed to go into major cities, if no other because you can have property in a city and with easy access to player merchants.

And like EQ2...no one will ever see your house because its listed amongst 100s of other houses in the same exact spot. Whats the point of a house if no one is gonna see it? Waste of time decorating or doing anything.

UO tons of people will visit your house if close to a city, or if in a rural area still get people to visit. And if really out there in the wilderness, player merchants will bring people to visit your house if only to buy whatever you are selling
    [Deleted User]

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,515
    Just curious, but could there perhaps be a collective dislike of Player Housing in the MMO Developer Community? If so, whats some things that may have developers look at such a feature in a negative way?
    Dont know about the devs. But to me- Housing is a waste of time. Crafting on the otherhand..I love it. But housing...meh

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    It has never been a draw for me and I honestly don't get why some get so excited about it.

If a game has it and there's some utility to be had from it, I play along with it for the utility. But decorating is the farthest thing from my mind when I fire up an MMO.

I play MMOs to build characters and test my builds against other players or mobs. I get crafting when it's an integral part of building up a character but that's about it for me.

And I feel the same way about fishing :)
    KyleranAlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    As a player housing works best for me as a utility.  A way to instantly port to another location and store inventory.  Universal access for all characters.  Or like SWG being able to pack up your home and move it to another location, vendor sales, or as a way to advertise your craft as well as put in high level crafting stations.  Also space housing with your yacht.

Housing that's used only as decoration holds little interest for me.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    Iselin said:
    It has never been a draw for me and I honestly don't get why some get so excited about it.

If a game has it and there's some utility to be had from it, I play along with it for the utility. But decorating is the farthest thing from my mind when I fire up an MMO.

I play MMOs to build characters and test my builds against other players or mobs. I get crafting when it's an integral part of building up a character but that's about it for me.

It has to do with the game being "a world" and actully having a place that anchors you to that world.
    Azaron_NightbladeAlBQuirky[Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    I feel like Vanguard got housing right. No instances. More than enough plots available for the whole server, just some in better locations than others. The building cost was high enough to stop gold sellers from buying up all the plots, but affordable enough that anyone could save up and buy.

Also most importantly, no cash shop! 
    --------------------------------------------
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Well there is the obvious matter of urban abandonment even in some of the smaller games where open world housing is an option you see decayed remains of where someones house used to be. Looks ugly in the world. Then there is the problem of running out of available plot spaces leaving some without housing. A major problem when housing is required for some aspects of the game such as crafting efficient training spots etc. Some of the older games put you at an advantage by having houses in certain spots.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Only been a couple of MMOs where I liked the housing in the game...usually you needed some sort of craft to go with it to make furniture, etc.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited September 2018
    it is very simple to answer,developers are cheap MFr's.
    If you act like a dumbass consumer,they will gladly walk all over you.
    HEY,our customers don't seem to care what we give them,so let's give them even less in the next expansion.
    Oh hey,let's cut this expansion short,we don't need to add anymore,they will buy it all the same.
    Let's make more money,let's add a cash shop,oh yeah good idea,those suckers will surely spend money.

Housing if done with some moderate effort can open up a lot of new game play,crafting,events etc etc.Geesh i can simply point back to FFXIV,Square didn't want to have an auction house anymore,these devs don't want large databases,they want to sell you as simple and cost effective game as they can.

I don't think the average gamer realizes that all these systems require many different servers to handle the loads and computing,the more work there is to do the more systems/servers.
    Devs would gladly just sell you an ARPG or a MOBA or a Fortnite/PUBG,all the cheapest crappiest game designs that cost them VERY little to make and to operate.
    [Deleted User]Kyleran

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:

It has to do with the game being "a world" and actully having a place that anchors you to that world.
    A room at an inn anchors me just fine :)
    AlBQuirkyKyleran
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:

A room at an inn anchors me just fine :)
    As does razing everything to the ground .....

;)
    AlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Well...

Housing doesn't work in themepark MMOs

Either housing is too useful and everyone uses it, making dead cities (EQ2 for example is a prime example)

its useless and has no point in being in the game (which tbh is LOTRO despite me liking some parts of it). Even more useless is BDO housing.

It works far better in sandbox MMOs

In UO housing is very useful, but because its a sandbox MMO you still are enticed to go into major cities, if no other because you can have property in a city and with easy access to player merchants.

And like EQ2...no one will ever see your house because its listed amongst 100s of other houses in the same exact spot. Whats the point of a house if no one is gonna see it? Waste of time decorating or doing anything.

UO tons of people will visit your house if close to a city, or if in a rural area still get people to visit. And if really out there in the wilderness, player merchants will bring people to visit your house if only to buy whatever you are selling

I actually disagree with the assertion that it doesn't work with Themeparks.  In fact, it could provide multiple things for such, if done right.  It also depends on the community, the feel of the game, etc.  Take for example FFXIV and how all of the mid-high population realms are completely out of housing and apartments.

The benefits of the system are thusly:
    • Increase value of crafting (and or add more crafting types) -- with every patch as new stuff / systems are introduced
    • Increase value of raiding -- with every patch as new stuff / systems are introduced
    • Increase value of gathering -- with every patch as new stuff / systems are introduced
    • Add additional economic venue -- with every patch as new stuff / systems are introduced
    • Add value to Guilds -- Additional systems, benefits, mini-games (Mount storage / training, Guild Storage, Guild NPCs and Merchants, banking, buffs, quality of life features or features in general centrally located in one place, things like potentially making large projects together such as airships and submarines, etc.) that give various things.
    • Increase community appreciation and togetherness -- Having tags that signify if a house is RP focused, different styles of housing such as looking like Shops, Inns, other themes, adding such things like books to sign, armor stands and NPCs that can sell equipment or just look nice, thousands of pieces of furniture that fit themes (and increase crafting and gathering worth) that are frequently updated and so on and so forth.
    • "Gold" sinks of varying degrees
    • Pride in working towards, building and maintaining something that's yours -- and the want to keep it active so you do lose it, like how houses decayed in UO if you weren't subscribed.  Make a beloved housing system with a lot to do, and people will stay subbed so they don't lose it -- especially if it's a popular feature to have.
    • Tout new areas and new houses if it's an insanely popular feature, to get hype up and to get people to subscribe if they were gone for a while.
    • Add value to other sections of the game by adding unique rewards for housing -- which could encompass the before-mentioned raiding or any section of the game.

In particular, many of those features are great for immersion loving or RP focused communities, and ear vast loyalty for all the work and features implemented for them.  If it's a game that solely focuses on raiding and has shitty systems for crafting or gathering and no other redeeming factors or things to do and just has a raiding meta, then maybe housing isn't worth it (especially if their patches only focus on raiding or that expansions new attempt at something).  Though the reverse could be true in that it may give them outlets by which to increase nearly aspect of the game and create others that all link to and support each other in some overall or complex way.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Never really understood the obsession of Player Housing, like Raids, Mounts, and many other things player get these massive boners over that they need to inject into every game they play, regardless if they would fit well into the game, they just have this obsession for these things.

If they work, it's one thing, but, I see players just go rampant nerd rage obsessed over these things, and in games like GW2, for example, mounts were added, but they were not needed, so they felt like this added thing that was put in to placate players, and because of that, I loved how much players cried over the mount the cost of mount skins. They really deserved no better.

I feel the same way with player housing, if it works for the game, it is one thing, but when it really is not a part of the game, or feels like they put in it in to fill a check box, I just want to slap gamers that made it so that developers feel compelled to put this features in, no matter how disjunctive or asinine they may be to the rest of the game.
    [Deleted User]
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    @Ungood

Just because you don't enjoy something doesn't mean other players that enjoy it are stupid. For example, I personally don't enjoy raiding. 

You spend hours re-running a 40-man raid to get good equipment to re-run the next tier raid to get better equipment to re-run the next tier raid to get better equipment. It's literally, a hamster on a wheel. 

But I do appreciate it that other people do like this type of game play. I just choose not to do what I don't like to do. Also, why criticize people for what they enjoy in a game?

AlBQuirkyAnskierDeddmeat
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations.