Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If You Could Play a Game Again For the First Time?

13»

Comments

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Non MMO:

Skies of Arcadia (legends)
    Panzer Dragoon Saga
    Hellblade
    The Walking Dead - season 1
    Final Fantasy IX

MMO:

Anarchy Online

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Amathe said:
    I would pick Pong. That way I could be as young as possible, and I would get to play all the other ones again for the first time as they come out after that. 
    You're too tricky! You're like that person that wishes for more wishes from the Genie! Good answer, though ;)

I can't think of any game I'd like to play again for the first time, single player or MMORPG. There are lots of games I wish I would have played when they released, though, that I totally missed out on.

EQ 1 was my first MMORPG and being in a group with someone from Denmark and Japan just blew my mind! It made for interesting chat during our downtime. I could have gotten that experience in many varied MMORPGs of the time.

Super Bowl Sunday for the Commodore 64 was the first single player game that overtook my life. It was just a text-based American football simulator, but I kept season stats on all of the games as I played season after season.  I don't know if I'd want to go back there ;)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    thunderC said:
    Also I want to change my pick from WOW to this 

Nothing ever matched the first time I played dragons lair in a arcade back in the early 80's. 
    Same here, though in a negative way. Half a dollar! My reflexes sucked and I never got far. I stopped trying as I quickly saw how much I'd be spending.
    JeffSpicoli[Deleted User]

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    Since I have amnesia and forgot I already added some games on here, I'd like to go back and play P.T.O. by KOEI on SNES. For some reason that game got me like no other hex based wargame has since.

And since I have games, I would play Amnesia. The text one by Thomas M. Disch. Great writer, great game.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Its extremely hard to pickup a game that is 5+ years old since there are so many parts of the game that just hasn't aged well and therefore it would be close to impossible to have the same feeling that I had when I picked it up immediately. Its for that reason I almost never replay games.

If I still had to pick one I would go with Darkest Dungeon.

The only reason I would choose amnesia with an mmorpg is because it would erase the memory and not because I would want to play it again.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • KeushpuppyKeushpuppy Member UncommonPosts: 171
    THWarg has an authorized AC server running and it is pretty populated and loads of original AC fun for those interested.
  • JakobmillerJakobmiller Member RarePosts: 674
    MMO: Darkfall Online
    Other: Either Ocarina of Time or perhaps Final Fantasy X
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    AlBQuirky said:
    thunderC said:
    Also I want to change my pick from WOW to this 

Nothing ever matched the first time I played dragons lair in a arcade back in the early 80's. 
    Same here, though in a negative way. Half a dollar! My reflexes sucked and I never got far. I stopped trying as I quickly saw how much I'd be spending.
    For myself and alot of others it was more than just playing it. I also sucked at the game lol It was expensive as hell for its time, I think it might have actually been a dollar to play which at the time was un heard of as most games were a quarter. Paper Boy, Punch-out (body blow body blow)

Anyway this was the game the stoked my love for  High Fantasy, I believe its what led me to pen n paper D&D and the pewter figures. Ahhh the memories, Just walking in a Arcade and hearing that deep epic voice of "Dragonnnsss Laiiirrrr a fantasy adventure where you become a valiant knight"  blaring in the background. I also remember at some point during the height of this games popularity arcades installing 3 tv's atop the arcade case so the crowd of 20 or 30 kids could watch whoever was playing at the time.

Don Bluth still remains my favorite artist to this day.
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirky
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited September 2018
    Torval said:
    If we're adding in arcade games then I definitely want this.

Also I forgot about this. Romance of the Three Kingdoms II for PC.

Torval!!! Romance ! One of my favorite all time games, I had that on the Amiga, Ohhh the memories . Romance of the 3 kingdoms was one of the heaviest PC boxes i ever owned which obviously meant quality because of the massive bible like instruction manual. That thing was like 50 pages deep
    [Deleted User]
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited September 2018
    MMO: FFXI

Non-MMO: Skies of Arcadia/Legend of Dragoon/Xenogears/FFVIII all came tied to me

Almost anything square put out back in the day felt like gold.
  • Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Skyrim and LoTRO

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Vanilla WoW, Old AV. Never had anything like it since. 

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404
    swtor. yes im not kidding. loved the sith stories.
  • MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    I wouldn't.  If I played it again for the first time all the fun I would have had the first time would be gone. I think there is enough out there now, that I can find things that are fun. 

I think a better question would be, what game did you miss out on that you wish you would not have.
    Lokero

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    THWarg has an authorized AC server running and it is pretty populated and loads of original AC fun for those interested.
    a Asherons call server? i thought WB stopped them all? i need to find this.
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Guild Wars 1, I definitely regret not starting at release.
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    DAOC, easily. Best game and community I have ever seen. It s so good I still play it:)
  • KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    The only time I experienced a bad start was in TERA. Put my faith in the wrong people and joined their guild. I would like to have a do over for that.
  • pkpkpkpkpkpk Member UncommonPosts: 265
    If your memory could be erased and you could replay a game again for the first time what would it be?

Mine would be Lineage for an mmorpg.
     I wanted to be Yi Sun-sin. (Well, I ground war version of the naval commander)

For single player I think it would be Vagrant Story and Golden Sun

So amnesia people what game(s) would you pick?

No need really. I don't see much choice at all among MMORPGs today, and I think that is a good thing. Either you play what's out there, or not. I was playing over fifteen hours a day back then, hasn't phased me at all. Indeed even with that playing schedule I had scarcely seen half of the world. Even a single MMORPG could likely keep me occupied for my whole life.