Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ashes of Creation Live Stream - Stress Test News & Battle Royale Mode - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2018 in Videos Discussion

imageAshes of Creation Live Stream - Stress Test News & Battle Royale Mode - MMORPG.com

The Ashes of Creation team was on hand on September 27th for a live stream event and community Q&A. During the event, it was revealed that the stress test is ongoing through October 5th when the NDA will lift. In addition, devs spoke about the battle royale mode and how it is "loosely built into the lore of Ashes of Creation".

Read the full story here

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Battle Royale?

/sigh

Well let's hope this does NOT make it to the official launch. I can see it as an easy way to test some PvP aspects but if they go full Battle Royale mode like Fortnite did I will be super disappointed.
    GwapoJoshSiphaed[Deleted User]ThaharAlomarKyleranSane76

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    "May not be implemented into AOC official launch"

Not holding my breath for that one. Once games go battle royale, they never go back.

Is nothing safe anymore?!
    EreppyKyleran
    --------------------------------------------
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited September 2018

Battle Royale?

/sigh

Well let's hope this does NOT make it to the official launch. I can see it as an easy way to test some PvP aspects but if they go full Battle Royale mode like Fortnite did I will be super disappointed.

It's one feature out of hundreds in the game. It feels more like a "buzz word" than a standalone feature. If you think about it, it makes sense since there's territory capture, attacks on caravans, cities, etc. I wouldn't stress too much about it.
    GaladournSiphaedYashaXsausagemixAlomarConstantineMerusValentina

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

SBFord said:

Battle Royale?

/sigh

It's one feature out of hundreds in the game. It feels more like a "buzz word" than a standalone feature. If you think about it, it makes sense since there's territory capture, attacks on caravans, cities, etc. I wouldn't stress too much about it.

The issue is that it becomes the overwhelming defacto when it comes to development attention and awareness. This is the issue with Fortnite; and so many other projects that have changed direction to chase the Battle Royal model on its popularity high tide. Fortnite wasn't even a PvP game to start, nor was it going to be. The game was supposed to be a co-op PvE wave survival builder. Now....now it is on ever platform as a psychotic anti-social king-of-the-hill shooter that strives for an every man for himself (or herself) attitude. Not even remotely a ghost of its past. And the PvE aspect as taken a serious backburner.

This is the fear of Ashes of Creation. The game's concept was presented through Kickstarter in the BR infancy, yet looks to be chancing that golden carrot now that it has grown up. And in the process the original concept will be mutated and changed, arguably for the worse.
    Slapshot1188sausagemixSolancerKyleranGobstopper3DPeskyZajjarRemyVorenderSpiritalker

• mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321
    could be a nice PvP minigame or PvP mode
    SBFordYashaXConstantineMerus
  • WaanWaan Member UncommonPosts: 105
    I think it is a smart way to test things out - just chuck everyone in there and see what happens. 

Didn't they say quite clearly that it was only for testing purposes, or do we have reason to believe otherwise? I do understand the fear that greed might suck them in to add it as an official mode. That would suck.
    SBFordYashaX
  • PinchitowPinchitow Member UncommonPosts: 3
    edited September 2018
    I love this fornite's patch. Good job Epic Games!
    Slapshot1188Samhaelsausagemix
    SBFord said:

Battle Royale?

/sigh

That’s what they said about Fortnite when it tossed in a Battle Royale mode.  Ask the folks who enjoyed the original Save The World stuff how that turned out...
    GrendIselin

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Of course what is most popular will get the attention that is pure business.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I mean, as much as I don't like the royale bandwagon companies/indies are trying to jump on now to make a quick buck, its honestly meant to be a feature of a game anyway, not a whole game and I'd prefer if it remained a feature/mode of a game.
    SBFord
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

SBFord said:

Battle Royale?

/sigh

That’s what they said about Fortnite when it tossed in a Battle Royale mode.  Ask the folks who enjoyed the original Save The World stuff how that turned out...

But when they released that with Fortnite do you really think they predicted it would become the biggest game in the world?

Also if something like that were to happen, lets say Ashes of Creation released a BR mode, and it became bigger than Fortnite, because that's the example you used, would you really blame them if it changed their development path?
    SBFordConstantineMerus

SBFord said:

Battle Royale?

/sigh

But when they released that with Fortnite do you really think they predicted it would become the biggest game in the world?

Also if something like that were to happen, lets say Ashes of Creation released a BR mode, and it became bigger than Fortnite, because that's the example you used, would you really blame them if it changed their development path?
    Would I blame them? Not if they offered refunds. But I’d be terribly disappointed as I’m not interested in another Battle Royale. 
    sausagemixAlomarSolancerIselin

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

SBFord said:

Battle Royale?

/sigh

Would I blame them? Not if they offered refunds. But I’d be terribly disappointed as I’m not interested in another Battle Royale. 
    I think most people share your sentiment about not wanting another BR game. I think where it becomes a problem is when they change focus before seeing a reaction to the mode or the general reception when people get to play it. 

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Adding a BR feature is basically a sell out.
    WellspringPanther2103SamhaelMikehaAlomar
  • JdellaJdella Member CommonPosts: 3
    You guys are aware they stated multiple times for testing purposes, it was easy and useful for them to get a BR up and running as opposed to any other game mode (open world/battlegrounds/arenas/etc.). So no this is not a focus for them, they probably got a lot of the tech from unreal themselves (hence why it was so easy for them to implement it in the first place and why they did it).
    Galadourn
    Jdella said:
    You guys are aware they stated multiple times for testing purposes, it was easy and useful for them to get a BR up and running as opposed to any other game mode (open world/battlegrounds/arenas/etc.). So no this is not a focus for them, they probably got a lot of the tech from unreal themselves (hence why it was so easy for them to implement it in the first place and why they did it).
    You are aware that from the article they have “loosely built it into the lore” and it “may not” be implemented into the launched game which means it also may.
    Kyleran

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    So what? It's not like it will be the sole purpose of the game. Regard it as a Battleground. Whoever wants to join joins, the rest can merrily go about their businesses.
  • bayareamjbayareamj Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Team based combat > battle royale.
    Iselin

-----------------------------------
    MMO player

Jdella said:

You are aware that from the article they have “loosely built it into the lore” and it “may not” be implemented into the launched game which means it also may.

Sure it's definitely a possibility it gets implemented into the game, but if you watch the stream it's made very clear its just a testing mode for them and if people enjoy it enough to warrant further development as an extra "battleground" (as Galadourn said above me) whats wrong with that? (Not trying to be mean about it in anyway, just wondering why a some people see this as a "well there goes another game that turned into a BR")
    Jdella said:

Jdella said:

Sure it's definitely a possibility it gets implemented into the game, but if you watch the stream it's made very clear its just a testing mode for them and if people enjoy it enough to warrant further development as an extra "battleground" (as Galadourn said above me) whats wrong with that? (Not trying to be mean about it in anyway, just wondering why a some people see this as a "well there goes another game that turned into a BR")
    Because history has shown that once a game dips it's toes into making a "Battle Royale" game... it eventually takes over the game.   As I said in my initial post.  If it's just for testing then sure, go test some mechanics.  If they are building lore around it and eventually make it a game focus then I will be HIGHLY disappointed.

Kyleran

• genaknoscgenaknosc Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Jdella said:

Jdella said:

Because history has shown that once a game dips it's toes into making a "Battle Royale" game... it eventually takes over the game.   As I said in my initial post.  If it's just for testing then sure, go test some mechanics.  If they are building lore around it and eventually make it a game focus then I will be HIGHLY disappointed.

I for one hope they disappoint you. The only content on this website that is worth reading is the stuff that disappoints Slapshot.
    Slapshot1188Kyleran

Jdella said:

Jdella said:

I agree with the lore bit being added it did put a little bit of skepticism in me (why does it need lore if its for testing, easy counter to that is "why not, its not like it was hard to come up with that bit of lore"), but I would find it absolutely crazy to think that Steven who has spent upwards of 35 million+ dollars of his own money would set out to make an amazing MMO (that he wants to play) and then make a BR instead. Only time will tell I guess!
  • KnyttaKnytta Member UncommonPosts: 414
    I am getting more and more satisfied with my decision not to support the Kickstarter of Ashes. It is incredible how little they talk about the PVE features now.
    MikehaAlomarPesky

Chi puo dir com'egli arde é in picciol fuoco.

He who can describe the flame does not burn.

Petrarch

Jdella said:

Jdella said:

Jdella said:

I agree with the lore bit being added it did put a little bit of skepticism in me (why does it need lore if its for testing, easy counter to that is "why not, its not like it was hard to come up with that bit of lore"), but I would find it absolutely crazy to think that Steven who has spent upwards of 35 million+ dollars of his own money would set out to make an amazing MMO (that he wants to play) and then make a BR instead. Only time will tell I guess!
    Unless he thinks he can make more from a Battle Royale...  which is the fear.
    Kyleran

• sausagemixsausagemix Member UncommonPosts: 96
    I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that this is primarily for testing purposes and won't significantly impact the development of the MMORPG aspect of the game but I'm not going to kid myself into thinking the popularity of BR won't be in the pvp modes of the release. My concern is from that of a Kickstart funder who was given a narrative of the game that didn't have BR considerations at all. I hate hypotheticals but if somehow the BR mode of this game brought in a ridiculously huge amount of players that had NO interest in the ideas this game was first pitched on, catering would become an offer Intrepid couldn't refuse. That would be sad to me personally as the idea of a "dream mmorpg inspired by old school mmorpgs" ,that attracted me to the only thing I felt ok enough to ever fund on KS, would be neglected or forgotten. Only time will tell.