Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Magic: The Gathering Arena TCG Enters Open Beta Testing - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageMagic: The Gathering Arena TCG Enters Open Beta Testing - MMORPG.com News

Wizards of the Coast has sent word to let us know that Magic: The Gathering Arena has entered open beta testing in North America, Europe, Australia and South America. PC players can download the game starting today. "Magic: The Gathering Arena is the future of digital Magic," said Jeffrey Steefel, VP of Digital Development at WotC."

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• asnowasnow Member UncommonPosts: 43
    epic card game, inside me my finger will never forget the feeling of playing that great game
  • WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member RarePosts: 449
    They finally took that little page out of the Pokemon book and are including codes in their physical packs in exchange for the same pack online. Should have done that a long time ago imho. That should definitely encourage more people to play and get more value out of buying packs.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    I can't wait to try this, Im such a huge fan of hearthstone and slay the spire , love card games and have never actually played Magic the gathering. It looks alot deeper and complex compared to whats on the market look forward to trying this on the weekend . Thanks for posting
    rertez
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

They finally took that little page out of the Pokemon book and are including codes in their physical packs in exchange for the same pack online. Should have done that a long time ago imho. That should definitely encourage more people to play and get more value out of buying packs.

This.

I am so happy about this decision.

I buy booster boxes (the 36 booster pack boxes) quite often for new sets, and sometimes me and my SO will buy two to construct decks and have fun opening the packs, if this can translate into boosters in game, I will be a happy customer.
    JeffSpicoli
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849

This.

I buy booster boxes (the 36 booster pack boxes) quite often for new sets, and sometimes me and my SO will buy two to construct decks and have fun opening the packs, if this can translate into boosters in game, I will be a happy customer.
    I never really had a crowd to play this with hence i never bought a pack but being the nerd i am iv always thought the artwork on the cards was interesting and the whole deck building aspect .
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• NoxiousBassNoxiousBass Member UncommonPosts: 257
    Erm, well, after playing Hearthstone, this card game game is just miles away... atheistically speaking...
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited September 2018

Erm, well, after playing Hearthstone, this card game game is just miles away... atheistically speaking...

yea, and hearthstone is miles away from MTG, card's and rules speaking.
    [Deleted User]deniterKoriantNanbinoSorill

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

thunderC said:

This.

I never really had a crowd to play this with hence i never bought a pack but being the nerd i am iv always thought the artwork on the cards was interesting and the whole deck building aspect .

The art is what drew me in too. I used to have a few friends who played, and my SO plays, but now that we moved it's harder to find people to play it with. This will help with that quite a bit.

Deck building in MTG is awesome, cards you would never expect work extremely well off of eachother and you can build entire decks centered around the stupidest things that will work (like a squirrel deck, overpowered pieces of crap). Standard limits the building a bit, but it makes it a hell of a lot more balanced. I prefer captain or EDH as the 1 of each card is really fun to build around.
  • bgzgamerbgzgamer Member UncommonPosts: 127
    everything sounds amazing... whats the catch... theres gotta be a catch
  • berlightberlight Member UncommonPosts: 345
    omg my life is ruined... :'(
    Panther2103

Beta tester maniac

• berlightberlight Member UncommonPosts: 345
    bye bye hearthstone

Beta tester maniac

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Been playing A LOT of Elder Scrolls legends lately. Because of that I find myself somewhat interested in this.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    Do you get the same exact cards in the virtual booster that are in the physical one?
    laxie said:
    Do you get the same exact cards in the virtual booster that are in the physical one?
    If it's the same system as Pokemon, no. It gives a booster of the same set that you got the card from. Unless it's a special situation like a premade deck (one of the 60 card decks they sell in stores), then you would get a code for that premade deck in game. 
    WalkinGlennlaxie
  • rertezrertez Member UncommonPosts: 230
    edited September 2018
    I've played during the closed beta and I found MTGA very promising so far.

Please note that drafting (and limited formats in general) cost real money premium currency but keep in mind that unlike in Hearthstone's Arena mode you get to keep all the cards you pick during the draft regardless of you win or lose during the matches. Winning drafts gets you extra rewards depending on how many opponents you defeat. If you don't win any matches you still keep your deck and sideboard you drafted.

Also you win boosters and gold by just playing the game casually. With gold you can buy further booster packs or participate in competitive constructed formats. Constructed formats are the ones where you play with your prebuilt decks.

Just like in real MTG matches during drafts or constructed formats you can use your sideboard to fine tune your deck against your opponent's deck (in Bo3 and Bo5 matches of course).

If you already have a playset (4 of the same) of a given card and you open it again in a booster then you get a wildcard instead with the original card's rarity. Wildcards can be used to unlock cards that match the rarity of the wildcard. So if you have a rare wildcard you can pick any of the unlocked rare cards in your collection.
    Nanbino
    rertez said:
    I've played during the closed beta and I found MTGA very promising so far.

Please note that drafting (and limited formats in general) cost real money premium currency but keep in mind that unlike in Hearthstone's Arena mode you get to keep all the cards you pick during the draft regardless of you win or lose during the matches. Winning drafts gets you extra rewards depending on how many opponents you defeat. If you don't win any matches you still keep your deck and sideboard you drafted.

Also you win boosters and gold by just playing the game casually. With gold you can buy further booster packs or participate in competitive constructed formats. Constructed formats are the ones where you play with your prebuilt decks.

Just like in real MTG matches during drafts or constructed formats you can use your sideboard to fine tune your deck against your opponent's deck (in Bo3 and Bo5 matches of course).

If you already have a playset (4 of the same) of a given card and you open it again in a booster then you get a wildcard instead with the original card's rarity. Wildcards can be used to unlock cards that match the rarity of the wildcard. So if you have a rare wildcard you can pick any of the unlocked rare cards in your collection.
    I remember really liking Wildcards when I tried it out before. It's a good idea, instead of just getting some crappy dust, you get a card of equal value. 
  • ry7737ry7737 Member UncommonPosts: 40
    TCG stands for trading card game. i cant see why anyone would mention magic and think it were any other type of game. There is no trading! this is a CCG collectible card game.
    Nanbino
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Magic The Gathering is more designed for a table top experience. The cards and rules reflect this. Adjusting the game for a virtual setting gives some possibility not available in a table top experience. So a game like Hearthstone might be better in this aspect. I did enjoy playing the closed beta on this. Look forward to the open beta.
    Nanbino
  • NanbinoNanbino Member UncommonPosts: 168

Cleffy said:

Magic The Gathering is more designed for a table top experience. The cards and rules reflect this. Adjusting the game for a virtual setting gives some possibility not available in a table top experience. So a game like Hearthstone might be better in this aspect. I did enjoy playing the closed beta on this. Look forward to the open beta.

True, especially when random numbers don't exist in computer programs. It's preselected numbers gives player illusion it's random.
  • kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044
    Be nice in VR :):)
  • WaanWaan Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Played some last night, was actually a lot of fun.

I used to play Magic when I was a kid, this game brought back memories. I had totally forgotten about the different card types and rules. The tutorial does well to ease you back in.
  • ShazPurShazPur Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Is the old Magic Online shut down?
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Is it a TCG or a CCG ?
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505

thunderC said:

This.

I played with some high school friends, but haven't found anyone to play with since. The connection between physical packs and the digital ones is awesome. Good way to encourage folks to try out the physical version too and vice versa, which is just gravy for WotC.

• hyllyhhyllyh Member UncommonPosts: 477
    edited September 2018
    ok, just played it and....
    it's really magic in all form, especially the $$ face.
    all is doing to make you pay, and not only a bit.

another NO for me, sadly

edit: very pay to play, not really pay to win as if you dont know how to play, $$ cant help... but if you have $$ and know the rule, game will be easy as F...
    another side of the game is pay to draft (buy currencies with $$ )
    so finally deleted, waste of time... i 'll buy me another real life Magic pack with money saved
    Post edited by hyllyh on