Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The MMORPG.com Writers’ Favorite MMOs - Part 2 - The List - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageThe MMORPG.com Writers’ Favorite MMOs - Part 2 - The List - MMORPG.com

We've got the second installment in fun new series today. We've asked each of the MMORPG.com writers to submit their favorite three MMOs. We start off with Randy Lidens's and Kelley Scott Jeslis's choices. See if you agree!

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited September 2018
    Just to point out that I am Scot with one "t" not the other Scott. :)

Randy and Scott feature my two favourite MMOs LotRO and DAoC. LotRO for story and DAoC for realm versus realm, no other MMOs can pip them to the top position in those categories. Of course they have many other fine qualities but to my mind they share those with other favourites. And let us not forget some issues to, no game is perfect.The fact they are still going strong or have been brought back shows how good they are.

Lotro: I am not going to talk about roleplaying events or guild events; I am just going to mention something which any player especially in the early days could bump into in the Shire. There you are doing your quests and you can see that general chat is mostly in character ((calm down young reader, this was not something to be anxious about and you can get used to doing it as easily as trash talk ;) )) Someone starts talking about goblins in the north of the Shire, he has heard rumours they are there but does not know quite where there are. I step up with something like "Now listen sonny don't go listening to silly rumours from Hobbits who should know better, goblins in the North East Dells indeed!” I knew I had arrived home.

DAOC: Played before LotRO naturally, this was the MMO that convinced me you needed PvP in MMOs, having come from two previous MMOs which were essentially PvE I was not convinced it would work. How wrong I was. Realm versus Realm gave an reason for PvP second to none, it inspired our guild to champion Albion and we made friends in other guilds overnight nobly fending of those rampaging Norse and Hibernians…Ok and nicking their forts too. :)
    Eventually we allied with the Hibernians as those quick levelling cheats fellows the Norse got the upper hand. Fine times indeed.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited September 2018
    Very interesting choices. Shout out to the King! Lineage FTW!

Also interesting to see ESO on both lists for different reasons.
    ESO is action combat done right. If only their guild system was better =/
    My issue with ESO has always been the world does not feel very immersive. It feels like a set?
    Or a backdrop? Not sure how to explain it.
    Well done game for sure. Much better since beta and launch.
    The best from the West in recent years.

DAoC
    Scott:
    "there was no better choice at the time, the only other competitor being EverQuest "

But there were, oh there were ;)

Do you mean Lineage .I could never get into it because of the point click so I dumped it fast. There was the PvP too DAOC was way better. I liked it and took a little part in RvR then went to Gaheris when they launched the PvE server.
    Scot
    Chamber of Chains
  • KeushpuppyKeushpuppy Member UncommonPosts: 171
    Asherons Call becaus of the open world, skill system, loot tables and the ability to fight dozens of critters with out lagging out.
    Scot
  • koldmiserkoldmiser Member RarePosts: 348
    DAoC Morgan Le Fay Shadow Knights!

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• KiwiHypeKiwiHype Member UncommonPosts: 233
    I am loving this series, we all talk about so many games on Slack it's nice to see where we all hail from game wise and whose impacted our love for MMORPG's!
    Scot

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    Yup, I am enjoying these, too. The only one of these that I've played is LoTRo, and I quit that precisely because of the theme park thing. The special events were nice, but I didn't get into any of that standing around in-character RPG chat that I would have enjoyed. As usual with "MMORPGs" it soon began to feel like I was playing a solo game and going through a pre-set routine that everyone else was doing. Still, a good game if you like playing like that.

I keep hearing good things about ESO and here's two more strong recommendations. I'm thinking that the only reason I haven't tried it is that I looked and decided it was too pricey for my meager (or non-existent) budget for computer games. Guess all the F2P games have spoiled me, at least when it comes to trying them out.
  • savagetofusavagetofu Member CommonPosts: 6
    Been hooked on Secret World (now) “Legends” for several years.
    Scot
  • NanbinoNanbino Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Only mmorpg installed right now is eso. I was tired hopping on five different games for five different reasons.(One excels in pve, PvP, looks, combat, etc).

ESO globally covers my bases in a total mediocre experience. With easy content. And decent progression. So I play casually as the genre has gone stale biscuit. (Age, ideas, quality, etc).

Actively playing arena shooters and witcher 3, and psx classics on phone (finished final fantasy series, suikedon 2, currently on chrono cross).
    sumdumguy1Hluill
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Been hooked on Secret World (now) “Legends” for several years.
    Welcome to the boards!
    sumdumguy1
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Sometimes it's easier to say why you quit certain games, rather than the reasons why you played and kept playing them.
    Hluill
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    I have fond memories of all of those, even though I wouldn't play some of them anymore due to being too dated now.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

I keep hearing good things about ESO and here's two more strong recommendations. I'm thinking that the only reason I haven't tried it is that I looked and decided it was too pricey for my meager (or non-existent) budget for computer games. Guess all the F2P games have spoiled me, at least when it comes to trying them out.
    For an MMO that is not F2P ESO actually has a very low entry cost if you time your entry properly .

They're having a sale right at this moment and you can get the base game for $9.99 or the Summerset edition that includes both Morrowind and Summerset (the 2 expansion-like "chapters") for $24.99. This later one is a very good deal.

Unlike most other MMOs with hybrid F2P/B2P monetization you actually get a very full game play experience if all you pay is the entry fee and don't sub, and the cash shop is mostly harmless with nothing there that you actually need (looking at you BDO loot retrieving pets.)
    DavodtheTuttScot
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED