Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If You Could Play a Game Again For the First Time?

Comments

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Looking at the various answers to this question, I notice that almost everyone assumed that amnesia included some form of time-travel back to your personal past.  Everyone answered not as if they actually had amnesia and could play a game for the first time again.  EQ1 is still running.  WoW is still running.  DAoC is still running.  If someone had amnesia, they could play those games and the various console games again.  The experience is likely to be completely different, though.

Just an observation.

Without a time travel element, I'd like to experience HOI III again for the first time.  Wipe my knowledge of the game and let me start over, learning all the various nooks and crannies of the game (as it exists today).  Likely, I'd learn different things, in different order, leading to a new experience.  Would it be equivalent to my original experience with the game?  I don't know.  Possibly.  Maybe even probably.  It would be different.  And that's a good thing.

immodium

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    UO for me.
    No single player games to list, I'm not much of a gamer and the MMO ideal of a "world to live in" with massive player interaction fascinated me.
    Today, I don't play games hardly at all. No MMO's for years.

Once upon a time....

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Scorchien said:
    Torval said:
    MMO: EQ2

Single Player: Betrayal at Krondor or Planescape: Torment or Diablo II or Starcraft. I'll stop now because that made me think of the Gold Box series.
    EQ2 is a really good choice , that was such a great time at launch thru to Fey exp .. So much fun ..

Nice single player choices also , was not much of a Starcraft but i enjoyed all the others ...

If you are/were Goldbox fan 2 games you should watching and or backing ..

Realms Beyond ..... any Goldbox will right at home with this one , pretty excited for this one ..

https://www.realms-beyond.com/

and

Archmage Rises..a world/life sim Rogue like game ( dont let the Rogue like put you off) This is an amazing game in detail and gameplay ...

This game looks awesome , I want to play this lol
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Also I want to change my pick from WOW to this 

Nothing ever matched the first time I played dragons lair in a arcade back in the early 80's. 
    ceratop001AmatherertezGilcroix
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    thunderC said:
    Also I want to change my pick from WOW to this 

Nothing ever matched the first time I played dragons lair in a arcade back in the early 80's. 
    I remember those days bro.....
    JeffSpicoliAmathe

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    For me it would be Ultima Online....Plus my dial up internet. That was magical.
    Tokken

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    edited September 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I really would rather never live through Dial Up again. Being in the middle of downloading something and having people in the house yelling at me to get off so they could make a phone call. 

Waiting for Starcraft and Diablo 2 to patch on Dial up was prime time to eat an entire meal while waiting. 
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Lineage 2

I remember it taking 2 weeks before we left Talking Island which was one of the starter towns.
    Panther2103
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    I honestly don't have any games that come to mind that I'd like to play "again" for the first time.

I'd be more interested in going back in time and playing games I missed out on during their prime.
    MMO-wise, I'd say Asheron's Call.  I've heard so many good old stories about that one, but never really played it.

No particular single-player games immediately spring to mind, though.

As far as old games I've already played, I'd go with something open-world with pretty graphics.  Seeing some of those open world vistas in a game with pretty graphics can be breathtaking when a game is fresh.  What can I say, I'm a visual arts person :grin:
    Nothing quite like climbing up the side of a mountain and then looking around at the open-world scenery(LODs and all).
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    MMO: EQ1
    Single Player: Daggerfall or Master of Magic
  • QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 546
    Easy...

Hands down, 100% no question... FFXI (vanilla).

What an incredible feeling that game gave me, stepping into it the first time and feeling utterly lost and mystified.

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Legend of Zelda...opening that gold cartridge made me happy.

Double Dragon the arcade version
    Man, the good old days.  When Nintendo used to release more than like 10 games per system during its lifespan.  How many hundreds of games were there on NES and SNES?

I remember co-op'ing through some River City Ransom with my sister back in the day :D

I miss the days when Nintendo actually tried to release a large catalogue of games.

They had so freaking many games back then.  I think the only system that has even come close to that kind of massive output was maybe the PS2.
  • RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127
    MMO: LOTRO go back and get that lifetime sub, Its not my favorite, not by a longshot, but it holds up super well and whenever I have that itch it always scratches it well. Would have loved to see what adventures I could have had with the community.

Singleplayer: I was too new to gaming to truly appreciate what Baldur's Gate was for its time, well r even now it still its one of the best stories, and Yes I like the first one better. But I think my choice would be fire emblem (7) for the GBA, it was the first time I really got obsessed with a game, yeah I really liked DAoC and I played Guild Wars as soon as I got home from school until bed. However, I can still run through fire emblem perfectly, knowing each and every spawn purely from trail and error, it is a game that to this day is my favorite because I know it so well, it was my escape , it was my life, and as I have gotten older I have loved it even more,

maybe I wont go back and I will just keep it as is, Baldur's Gate would be something grand to experience now, but even then what would i really get out of it now, a working individual who would see it as less of a world and more of just another RPG. 

whats the point of going back if it means you change how you feel about these treasures and experiences. 

Its setlled.....SWG.... that would be a significant change, but for the better. yeah the grind would kill me but the game was more of a community then a grind for a max level or a rush to end game. That is a game whose complexities and dense-ness would only be improved by my age and my lack of time would only make each step into the Star Wars world that much more enjoyable.

• frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645

If you cut out the dialing part, that is my ringtone. Gets people every time.

For single player games, I think I'd like to revisit KOTOR with a bout of amnesia.

On the MMO side, they all have some draw. UO I really didn't hang in there long enough to get pulled in initially thanks to some unruly welcoming committee members. EQ probably was the first cool community feeling, but AC was much more awe inspiring visually. DAoC everyone was suspect. 
  • immoralthangimmoralthang Member RarePosts: 300
    MMO: LOTRO go back and get that lifetime sub, Its not my favorite, not by a longshot, but it holds up super well and whenever I have that itch it always scratches it well. Would have loved to see what adventures I could have had with the community.

Singleplayer: I was too new to gaming to truly appreciate what Baldur's Gate was for its time, well r even now it still its one of the best stories, and Yes I like the first one better. But I think my choice would be fire emblem (7) for the GBA, it was the first time I really got obsessed with a game, yeah I really liked DAoC and I played Guild Wars as soon as I got home from school until bed. However, I can still run through fire emblem perfectly, knowing each and every spawn purely from trail and error, it is a game that to this day is my favorite because I know it so well, it was my escape , it was my life, and as I have gotten older I have loved it even more,

maybe I wont go back and I will just keep it as is, Baldur's Gate would be something grand to experience now, but even then what would i really get out of it now, a working individual who would see it as less of a world and more of just another RPG. 

whats the point of going back if it means you change how you feel about these treasures and experiences. 

Its setlled.....SWG.... that would be a significant change, but for the better. yeah the grind would kill me but the game was more of a community then a grind for a max level or a rush to end game. That is a game whose complexities and dense-ness would only be improved by my age and my lack of time would only make each step into the Star Wars world that much more enjoyable.

I would want nothing more than to go through the SWG tutorial and end up on Tatooine completely broke and lost. The beauty of Galaxies the first time was the frustration of “what do I do?” when the answer was always “whatever I want.”
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    edited September 2018
    for me, it would be WOW or DAOC

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    edited September 2018
    MMO would be Anarchy Online or SWG, it is a really tough choice.  AO was my first love but SWG was filled with my most amazing experiences in an MMO.

Non MMO, time to show I'm old too.  Champions of Krynn.

• BluelinerBlueliner Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Everquest 1 and Legend of Zelda
  • NeoyoshiNeoyoshi Member RarePosts: 1,130
    The first Guild Wars for sure, that was a magical time.
    [Deleted User]

Fishing on Gilgamesh since 2013
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    I don't need to erase my memory. I've been playing Vanilla WoW for two years on private servers before the official announcement.
    So, Vanilla WoW all the way.
  • AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 874
    not an mmorpg but Morrowind. evrything about it was so epic, from being able to kill quest givers ruining your game or the boots of blinding speed. 
  • CartographyCartography Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Final Fantasy XI, hands down, no question!
    Albatroes
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    edited September 2018
    Asherons Call

They dont even have to wipe my memory, just turn the servers back on and i will play right now.
    [Deleted User]
  • francis3343francis3343 Member UncommonPosts: 19
    edited September 2018
    MMO: would have to be Horizon (known today as Istaria) even with all it's problems it was great! Community crafting like no other!

Non MMO: There are quite a bit, Link, Metroid, Faxanadu, Original Castlevania's... 
    [Deleted User]