Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Too much PvP for me

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
Ashes was high on the radar for me, 
Intrepid created with several EQ developers the payment model will be sub based, PvE and PvP.  However I'm really only interested in the PvE.  With the Node system, I'm trying to wrap my head around how this would fit for a PvE player.  You know, working against the environment and building up a Node. 

But no matter how I try and spin it to my likes, It seems THE PLAYERS will keep the game PvP.  Staying back as a PvE player will always be a small percentage, and the bulk will be PvP competitive. 

Here: 
sumdumguy1

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    I thought you were a big PvP fan? That was the only way to have real difficulty in a MMO? 
    craftseekerMrMelGibsonsumdumguy1
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Scot said:
    I thought you were a big PvP fan? That was the only way to have real difficulty in a MMO? 
    No, never liked PvP except playing a Rogue in Vanilla World of Warcraft using the mechanics of surprise attacks like stuns and stuff.  Even then it wasn't  about winning but the fun mechanics like trying to be crafty with taking out two opponents at the same time.  Never cared about the actual challenge of wining or loosing but more about abilities at my disposal. 

Yes, todays mmos are not challenging but PvP is not my answer.  I hate on screen full scale battles and not knowing where you taking damage from.  To me it's not realistic. 

It seems this game will be designed for both, but players will treat it as pure PvP.  I'm not saying that's a bad thing, just not for me. 

Lets see what happens, you never know :)
  • VannishVannish Member CommonPosts: 1
    Scot said:
    No, never liked PvP except playing a Rogue in Vanilla World of Warcraft using the mechanics of surprise attacks like stuns and stuff.  Even then it wasn't  about winning but the fun mechanics like trying to be crafty with taking out two opponents at the same time.  Never cared about the actual challenge of wining or loosing but more about abilities at my disposal. 

Yes, todays mmos are not challenging but PvP is not my answer.  I hate on screen full scale battles and not knowing where you taking damage from.  To me it's not realistic. 

It seems this game will be designed for both, but players will treat it as pure PvP.  I'm not saying that's a bad thing, just not for me. 

There are going to be raids and end-game PVE, the developers have also mentioned that you'll pretty much be forced to face both PVE and PVP at times. From what I've seen from the game I think you can avoid PVP a lot of the time but there are some times where you'll somewhat be forced into PVP (if your node is being attacked or something)

Developers have also mentioned that Raid bosses will have AIs that try to respond to the party they are facing and strategize accordingly, also there will be no hit markers for boss attacks, you'll have to react to the animations.

Hopefully there will still be a dedicated PvE community for people like you to join in, while I heavily prefer PvP I still like to indulge in PvE (especially raids) from time to time.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    It depends on how they do the PvP and PvE.  The details and how the players actually follow those details and how the Devs enforce what they have created. 

Some open world PvP games actually do a good job of allowing people to avoid PvP if they really want to.  L2, Aion, even Eve if you know your way around, allowed me to play with minimal PvP encounters.
    Kyleran

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited September 2018
    Vannish said:
    Scot said:

There are going to be raids and end-game PVE, the developers have also mentioned that you'll pretty much be forced to face both PVE and PVP at times. From what I've seen from the game I think you can avoid PVP a lot of the time but there are some times where you'll somewhat be forced into PVP (if your node is being attacked or something)

Developers have also mentioned that Raid bosses will have AIs that try to respond to the party they are facing and strategize accordingly, also there will be no hit markers for boss attacks, you'll have to react to the animations.

Hopefully there will still be a dedicated PvE community for people like you to join in, while I heavily prefer PvP I still like to indulge in PvE (especially raids) from time to time.
    Welcome to the boards!

The idea players are being forced to do PvE or PvP did make me smile, next we will be hearing players logging in were "forced" to play, but OK PvP is not for everyone. :)
    Post edited by Scot on
    With my limited knowledge of Real Viking history, they were one of the "best farmers ever", yet they were fighters too.  

I'm not ruling Ashes out, I'm still somewhat interested.  Just saying, how developers develop and what players do can be two different things.  Then again this could vary drastically from server to server. 
  • jahlonjahlon Member UncommonPosts: 388
    There is a lot going on that involves PvP that is for sure, however, the Corruption System is going to deter people from rampant murder.

Plus, there is going to be enough PvP stuff for PvPers to do, that you are going to have a very small percentage of people who run around murdering people.

Check out my Ashes 101 - PvP Review video if you need to want to know more.    
    KyleranMrMelGibson

You are blinded by bias. Anti "PK" system never work for one.

Two, as a PvE player, I don't want ANY murderer on the loose. period. Otherwise the game become about PvP and very little else. PvP player ( a lot ) just want to kill other player (easier the kill the better), they don't care about other stuff.

This is an opinion forged by looking at the past and if you don't learn from the past, you are doomed to repeat it.

First of all, if you are going to accuse me of bias can you please detail that out a bit more?

Secondly, as a PvE player if you don't want any non-consensual PvP then you aren't looking for a PvX or Sandbox game, you are looking for a PvE Themepark with no PvP.   Luckily Pantheon has said there will be minimal PvP so that one is probably more up your alley.   

Kyleran[Deleted User]TechnoMonkeyWaan[Deleted User]
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Saga of Lucima would be another PVE choice, also WOW Classic and probably a couple of others I can’t recall this late in the evening.

[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Who am I kidding I'll be playing anyway, 
    This game at the very least will be popular. Large percentage of PvP or not I'll be their on release date :)  
  • TechnoMonkeyTechnoMonkey Member UncommonPosts: 93
    This game at the very least will be popular. Large percentage of PvP or not I'll be their on release date :)  
    Don't worry. As with every MMORPG that tries to be PVP oriented, it will be flooded by a sea of self-righteous carebears that will bully the developers into focusing solely on the PVE aspect, arguing that since they are the majority, they sustain the game. The developers will try and cater to PVEers but will fail to attain their unrealistic expectations, leaving it yet another broken generic PVE MMORPG. The carebears will then proceed to flood the next upcomming MMO that is clearly promoted as PVP centric. Repeat.

God forbid an MMO exists that is not FOR YOU.
    WaanKyleranMrMelGibsonGobstopper3Dtweedledumb99turinmacleod
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited October 2018
    jahlon said:

Two, as a PvE player, I don't want ANY murderer on the loose. period. Otherwise the game become about PvP and very little else. PvP player ( a lot ) just want to kill other player (easier the kill the better), they don't care about other stuff.

This is an opinion forged by looking at the past and if you don't learn from the past, you are doomed to repeat it.

First of all, if you are going to accuse me of bias can you please detail that out a bit more?

Secondly, as a PvE player if you don't want any non-consensual PvP then you aren't looking for a PvX or Sandbox game, you are looking for a PvE Themepark with no PvP.   Luckily Pantheon has said there will be minimal PvP so that one is probably more up your alley.   

Why does a sandbox game need PvP? I don't like themeparks, I'd like a sandbox game that isn't PvP forced. There is a reason us PVErs demand PVE in every sandbox game...because we only have one single choice (that is sorta "new" but its still kinda old) for a sandbox MMO that isn't forced PvP and that is Ryzom. Sadly the company that originally owned it were indie, super small and no funds to really do great with it or advertise and the new people who own it don't do much with it

Its like pvpers often demanding every themepark game have PvP...its because they don't have barely any options for pvp focused themeparks. I don't blame them, they have barely any choice.

Just like us pvers don't have options for pve sandbox MMOs except one...at least ignoring any older MMOs. And Ryzom is already kinda old.

Why does a themepark MMO need to be PVE focused? There is no reason, just lame excuses

Why does a sandbox MMO need to be PvP forced? There is no reason, just lame excuses

Plenty of sandbox singleplayer/multiplayer games are PVE focused or pvp optional. Minecraft is a sandbox game, but there are lots of PVE servers to play on. There is also lots of PvP servers to play on

DayZ is a sandbox. It has both PvE servers and PvP servers

Ark Survival is a sandbox. It has both PvE servers and PvP servers

Why can't MMOs do the same?

PhrydeniterMrMelGibson

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Don't worry. As with every MMORPG that tries to be PVP oriented, it will be flooded by a sea of self-righteous carebears that will bully the developers into focusing solely on the PVE aspect, arguing that since they are the majority, they sustain the game. The developers will try and cater to PVEers but will fail to attain their unrealistic expectations, leaving it yet another broken generic PVE MMORPG. The carebears will then proceed to flood the next upcomming MMO that is clearly promoted as PVP centric. Repeat.

God forbid an MMO exists that is not FOR YOU.
    Pot, meet Kettle.

WargfootYVMrMelGibsonGobstopper3Dtweedledumb99

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Why does a sandbox game need PvP? I don't like themeparks, I'd like a sandbox game that isn't PvP forced. There is a reason us PVErs demand PVE in every sandbox game...because we only have one single choice (that is sorta "new" but its still kinda old) for a sandbox MMO that isn't forced PvP and that is Ryzom. Sadly the company that originally owned it were indie, super small and no funds to really do great with it or advertise and the new people who own it don't do much with it

Its like pvpers often demanding every themepark game have PvP...its because they don't have barely any options for pvp focused themeparks. I don't blame them, they have barely any choice.

Just like us pvers don't have options for pve sandbox MMOs except one...at least ignoring any older MMOs. And Ryzom is already kinda old.

Why does a themepark MMO need to be PVE focused? There is no reason, just lame excuses

Why does a sandbox MMO need to be PvP forced? There is no reason, just lame excuses

Plenty of sandbox singleplayer/multiplayer games are PVE focused or pvp optional. Minecraft is a sandbox game, but there are lots of PVE servers to play on. There is also lots of PvP servers to play on

Why does a sandbox game need PvP?   

Because it is an essential element based on the definition of what a sandbox game is

"A sandbox is a style of game in which minimal character limitations are placed on the gamer, allowing the gamer to roam and change a virtual world at will."

If you begin placing external limitations on the behavior of the gamers, you have begun moving farther and farther away from the essential core of a sandbox game.

A true sandbox would be total anarchy and chaos.  Lawless.  No repercussions for PKing.  While great for some people, that mentality would not work well for everyone.

Keeping true to the essence of a sandbox, you allow for unrestricted PvP but you put a consequence on it for PKing people who do not want non-consensual PvP.  Its not a perfect system, but it is a system that works.

Why does a themepark MMO need to be PvE Focused?   Because that is the construct.  
    Why does a sandbox MMO need to be PvP focused?  Because that is the definition of what defines a sandbox.

DayZ is not a sandbox.  They don't ever claim that distinction and you won't find them using the word sandbox to describe their game.

"DayZ is a gritty, authentic, open-world survival horror hybrid-MMO game, in which you follow a single goal: to survive in the harsh post-apocalyptic landscape as long as they can."

(https://www.bohemia.net/games/dayz)

Ark Survival is not a sandbox.  They don't claim it and you won't find them using the word sandbox either.  In fact Ark is an action-adventure survival video game.

Stranded on the shores of a mysterious island, you must learn to survive. Use your cunning to kill or tame the primeval creatures roaming the land, and encounter other players to survive, dominate... and escape!

(https://store.steampowered.com/app/346110/ARK_Survival_Evolved/)

Now, I looked up your example of Ryzom, and I can't tell for certain if it is a sandbox or not.  They don't claim it to be a sandbox, and from the description it doesn't look like its a sandbox.  It looks like it has free-form character classes (lack of structured classes) but I'd have to do a lot more digging into the game.  

What you are getting at with games like DayZ, Ark: Survival, and other survival games is that you can toggle PVP on and off.  You can provide a PvE only environment, you can provide a PvP enable environment.

They can.  However, they have to do certain things in a certain way if you they want to be able to use the definition of sandbox.

Could you make an argument that WoW or FFXIV are sandbox games?  Sure, you could try, however any argument made for these themepark games to be given the sandbox label would be easily  disputed.  

Now on a sliding scale you could say that Archeage is more sandbox than WoW and have a really good argument.  If you tried to say that Archeage is more sandbox than Eve Online, again your argument could be easily disputed.

Could all the games coming out as sandbox worlds have it so PvP is enabled only to guilded characters?  Sure, they could, but that would make the game take a step away from being Pure Sandbox.

deniter
  • uotowndrunk2uotowndrunk2 Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Sandbox vs Themepark vs PVP vs PVE vs Mixed.

Lets start by stating Sandbox does not mean it has to have PVP. In fact, UO Trammel is a great example of the PVE player-base being greater than the PVP player-base in Felucca. In fact, Felucca became a skeleton crew of select PVPers. Trammel was player rich because they did not have to worry about being ganked while they worked to whatever end that entertained them in this old school fantastic sandbox.

Themepark games can in fact have Full PVP - Initial Release of Age of Conan is a great example. This certainly showed how fast players get sick of being spawn camped by greifers.

Star Wars Galaxies Pre-CU was sandbox and in fact, forced many of their loyal base to leave because of the change to Themepark. The PVP was faction based and PVE players could remain neutral and not be part of a faction to keep from being PVP'd.

Sandbox literally just means off the rails and being able to roam and influence elements in the game the way the player wants. I realize that PVP does add an extra element of immersion for the hardcore, but so does full body loot.

I would love another Sandbox game that focuses on PVE, has Realm Vs Realm, and allows optional competitive PVP. I do not like full body loot, but if PVP is optional, I would not rule it out on select characters I want to be competitive.

From the sound of this awesome title, it is simply not for me, but offers the gaming community who does like this type of game the option of enjoying themselves and thriving on it.

I believe this is what the original poster and several other posters have been trying to express and that it would not necessarily break this title to offer a PVE server for those that do not want to have the competitive immersion forced on them.

The bottom dollar, play to have fun and if your not having fun.... move out and find the game that interests you.
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    I like PVE but I am more excited about this game because of the PVP 
    Plus some of the developers, like Delete said, are from EQ2. 

Bring this game on already!

Totally agree brother. I hope I can cause frustration and tears. Sweet tears feed me....
    MrMelGibson

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    jahlon said:

Why does a sandbox game need PvP?   

Because it is an essential element based on the definition of what a sandbox game is

"A sandbox is a style of game in which minimal character limitations are placed on the gamer, allowing the gamer to roam and change a virtual world at will."

If you begin placing external limitations on the behavior of the gamers, you have begun moving farther and farther away from the essential core of a sandbox game.

A true sandbox would be total anarchy and chaos.  Lawless.  No repercussions for PKing.  While great for some people, that mentality would not work well for everyone.

Keeping true to the essence of a sandbox, you allow for unrestricted PvP but you put a consequence on it for PKing people who do not want non-consensual PvP.  Its not a perfect system, but it is a system that works.

Why does a themepark MMO need to be PvE Focused?   Because that is the construct.  
    Why does a sandbox MMO need to be PvP focused?  Because that is the definition of what defines a sandbox.

DayZ is not a sandbox.  They don't ever claim that distinction and you won't find them using the word sandbox to describe their game.

"DayZ is a gritty, authentic, open-world survival horror hybrid-MMO game, in which you follow a single goal: to survive in the harsh post-apocalyptic landscape as long as they can."

(https://www.bohemia.net/games/dayz)

Ark Survival is not a sandbox.  They don't claim it and you won't find them using the word sandbox either.  In fact Ark is an action-adventure survival video game.

Stranded on the shores of a mysterious island, you must learn to survive. Use your cunning to kill or tame the primeval creatures roaming the land, and encounter other players to survive, dominate... and escape!

(https://store.steampowered.com/app/346110/ARK_Survival_Evolved/)

Now, I looked up your example of Ryzom, and I can't tell for certain if it is a sandbox or not.  They don't claim it to be a sandbox, and from the description it doesn't look like its a sandbox.  It looks like it has free-form character classes (lack of structured classes) but I'd have to do a lot more digging into the game.  

What you are getting at with games like DayZ, Ark: Survival, and other survival games is that you can toggle PVP on and off.  You can provide a PvE only environment, you can provide a PvP enable environment.

They can.  However, they have to do certain things in a certain way if you they want to be able to use the definition of sandbox.

Could you make an argument that WoW or FFXIV are sandbox games?  Sure, you could try, however any argument made for these themepark games to be given the sandbox label would be easily  disputed.  

Now on a sliding scale you could say that Archeage is more sandbox than WoW and have a really good argument.  If you tried to say that Archeage is more sandbox than Eve Online, again your argument could be easily disputed.

Could all the games coming out as sandbox worlds have it so PvP is enabled only to guilded characters?  Sure, they could, but that would make the game take a step away from being Pure Sandbox.

A lot of words to say that the mythical pure sandbox game has to be full anarchy PvP. How does that relate to the reality of MMO development? Are you aware of any pure sandboxes with no limits?

Once you start down the road of making compromises - which is always - it matters little except to the wishes of the developers and players which "pure" features you compromise.

It's pretty easy for me to imagine a very sandboxy game that removes all PvP as well as PVP games that are much more on guided rails than some PvE games. As a matter of fact, PVP themeparks are all the rage these days and dominate gaming.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    I like PvP of all kinds... as long as it's done right.
    For some reason though... this game does seem like it would be a better PvE setup than PvP.  
    We will see once NDAs drop.

PhryMrMelGibson[Deleted User]

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    So what is the point of this post? Whining that a game that is not catered to you should be? Games are allowed to be different. I hope this post is ignored by the devs so those who actually want to play the game can enjoy it in its intended form. Rather than what happened to nearly all other MMO's that turn into a shit F2P crapfest of standardized gameplay with different graphics.
    madazz said:
    So what is the point of this post? Whining that a game that is not catered to you should be? Games are allowed to be different. I hope this post is ignored by the devs so those who actually want to play the game can enjoy it in its intended form. Rather than what happened to nearly all other MMO's that turn into a shit F2P crapfest of standardized gameplay with different graphics.
    I don't think you need to be very concerned over whether this thread will change anything regarding Ashes, what will matter is how popular the game is with players once it's launched.''

MrMelGibson

madazz said:
    Whining ?  Not really, 
    More the point is the Synopsis tells us its PvE and PvP.  But players will turn it into a pure PvP game. 

I realized this when most every podcast and YouTube shows PvP.  So this got me thinking about the reality of it all.  PvP players will continually squash anything done in PvE. 

PvP will dominate this game.

But who am I kidding, I'll be playing too, I'm starving for an mmorpg just like the next guy.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    "difficulty" if anyone THINKS that a real player is the only way to create difficulty,well sadly they don't know anything about game/combat design.
    The whole premise of a RPG,ROLE playing game isn't all about pvp,you are suppose to take on the role of a living character within a living world.
    The OP is right,once you introduce pvp the game unless totally segregated into sections which would completely ruin the game and it's immersion ,will become JUST a pvp game.

You can make a NPC unbeatable,you can't do that with a human player,it is simply a matter of how much effort goes into the AI to keep it challenging but still beatable.MOST ai shows a lack of effort,fodder is called fodder because it often has even less AI however this is all about the quality of the developer and their abilities to think and implement.

As to the mention of NODE,what is that in reality,well it reminds me of GW2 calling non visible quests DYNAMIC quests.We have already had this node type system for MANY years we just never called it anything,it was just part of the game.
    FFXI is the perfect example,NPC guards change their thoughts of you depending on favors done,Realms change in power depending on various reasons.The Besieged system featured various levels of tiered combat and npc's could be captured during the event so they would no longer show up in town and their services lost.You could go out into the game world and rescue them,so change could ALWAYS be happening.

All this node system is an AUTOMATED system and imo i doubt will even be that good.BDO has a node system as well,likely where Ashes got the idea of naming it a node.It was implemented VERY cheap and immersion ruining lines scrolling across the sky to show our node connections.Workers we never see,just some mini box that says you have workers...sigh.Don't give me cheap half assed system,all in or don't bother.
    Soybeansumdumguy1

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SoybeanSoybean Member UncommonPosts: 111

That does suck when you are trying to level. Worse is when you keep getting camped. The funny thing is pvpers are the first to leave a game when they get bored.
  • SoybeanSoybean Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Wizardry said:
    "difficulty" if anyone THINKS that a real player is the only way to create difficulty,well sadly they don't know anything about game/combat design.
    The whole premise of a RPG,ROLE playing game isn't all about pvp,you are suppose to take on the role of a living character within a living world.
    The OP is right,once you introduce pvp the game unless totally segregated into sections which would completely ruin the game and it's immersion ,will become JUST a pvp game.

Some people are anti social and just sh*tty people in general. A separated community isn't always a bad thing.