Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WildStar's Run Comes to an End on November 28th, Final Update Deployed - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageWildStar's Run Comes to an End on November 28th, Final Update Deployed - MMORPG.com

The WildStar site has been updated with the precise date that the game will shut down for good: November 28th. The final update has been deployed that turns off all real-money transactions and offers players refunds for recent purchases. In addition, a number of events will take place between now and the final day of service including Residential Renovation, Shade's Eve, Protostar's Gala Winterfest Extravaganza and a special final day event for "some fun" with the devs.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• zigalucardzigalucard Member UncommonPosts: 144
    Sad to see it go, had a lot of fun when pvp queues were popping at release.
    SBFordetharnMrMelGibson
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Sadly, while most acknowledge the quality development and some of the fun aspects, it just wasn't enough. It was always a game "on my list" to play, but I never did for more than a few weeks at any given time. 

I'm sorry to see it go.
    zigalucard[Deleted User]AlverantAgent_JosephPanther2103ThaharetharnMrMelGibsonDragnelus

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    SBFord said:
    Sadly, while most acknowledge the quality development and some of the fun aspects, it just wasn't enough. It was always a game "on my list" to play, but I never did for more than a few weeks at any given time. 

I'm sorry to see it go.
    Quality of development? Not much if any "development" went into Wildstar. That was the problem. I don't think they had one original idea conceptualized then developed.  Great looking cartoony graphics if you're into that thing. I was not. After 10 years and a couple hundred million dollars that's was all they could come up with. 

Beyond that Wildstar was riddled with game breaking bugs and horrible gameplay decisions. I'm no fan of NCSoft, but I think they got taken by Carbine. 
    kenguru23
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I was thinking of trying it before it went but after seeing NCsoft is behind it, i'm like yah, no, i don't play games from NCsoft.
    Agent_JosephMrMelGibson
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • Tykam123Tykam123 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Wildstar will always be one of my favorite mmos along with Rift and WoW. I absolutely loved the world, lore, graphics, and combat. Obviously it was far from perfect, and performance issues were pretty horrible at launch. Definitely the best halloween event I have played in an mmorpg. Very cool story and lore to it. Definitely sad to see it go. So much potential was lost.
  • berlightberlight Member UncommonPosts: 345
    edited September 2018
    Wilstar took advantage of the ESO launch fail and got a lot of people at start.
    You may think that's a good thing but it wasn't. The game was filled with frustrated guilds coming from the ESO launch. Filled with hate the guilds started to leave and going back to the games that made them feel at home. (wow, gw2, L2 and so on)
    A great and solid game that never had a chance within the frustrated mmo community. This is a great study case.
    AlverantXingbairongrertezOctagon7711MrMelGibsonkenguru23

Beta tester maniac

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Tried it again on a new char when the first news of the closure came up.
    The tutorial was completely reworked but I guess no one cared anymore at that point.

F
    5CARLLeTT
    Harbinger of Fools
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    I wonder how many people are still there. I went on when the news first broke out and only saw a half dozen in chat. I may go again to take more screenshots (the art style was awesome). This could very well be the last MMO I play. Something about it didn't "click" for me. I think it was the combat and how quickly I leveled. Back in the day I could have a quest in my queue for days until I found a group willing to help me complete it. Now I can just level up a bit and handle it myself in the same amount of time. There was no point to grouping. Is that the trend for modern MMOs or was this an exception?

I wonder if there's a place for the game's lore. I'm curious about the story with that ghost girl and the primary mystery of Nexus? I was enjoying it for a while but came to a point where I couldn't progress any further.
    [Deleted User]
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I pity the players who invested in this game. I played for a while I liked the art style really a lot but not the combat.
    AlverantPanther2103MrMelGibson
    Chamber of Chains
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    I played and liked what I played for a few months, but got bored by playing solo, as my friends were in SWTOR at the time I believe. Tried playing with randos, but it just wasn't the same.

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    I am was interested ,but , after Tabula Rasa ,NC Soft is on my ignore ,never again list .Only if TR relaunch happen but it is imagination(or maybe not look Lineage , I have dream !)
    AlverantMrMelGibson
  • DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399
    I always felt that this game had great potential and was going in a fantastic direction during beta until Carbine's Concept Lead for the game, Cory Loftis, left the company and joined Disney. The game's development seemed to stop immediately after that, with almost no progress made on any aspect of the game. We'll never really know if Cory had that big an impact, or if his leaving was actually due to a change in the company that made him leave, but either way, when he left, game production was over. Wildstar was released incomplete and never got traction.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I liked the game, I wish it did better. Did a lot of things well, just didn't do anything great enough to stand out.
    AlverantMrMelGibson
  • uriel_mafessuriel_mafess Member UncommonPosts: 148
    I have played many infamous MMOs. Matrix Online for a long time. I played FFXIV (not reborn) until they closed it for rework. Earth & beyond, Tabula Rasa... I cant count how much shit I have been able to endure.

I uninstalled this game in less than 2 months since launch. Cant really point a single huge fail. All of it was depressive.

Im sorry for those who liked it and play it though.
    Leguma11Tuor7jenseaMrMelGibson
  • ChaserzChaserz Member UncommonPosts: 317

bcbully said:

SBFord said:

I'm sorry to see it go.

Quality of development? Not much if any "development" went into Wildstar. That was the problem. I don't think they had one original idea conceptualized then developed.  Great looking cartoony graphics if you're into that thing. I was not. After 10 years and a couple hundred million dollars that's was all they could come up with. 

Beyond that Wildstar was riddled with game breaking bugs and horrible gameplay decisions. I'm no fan of NCSoft, but I think they got taken by Carbine. 

Please don't comment about an MMO you clearly know very little about.
    AlverantKyleranMrMelGibsongastovski1
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited September 2018
    I like their assets at least, maybe they'll sell them off/give them away like Epic did with Paragon.
    Aeander
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320

I am was interested ,but , after Tabula Rasa ,NC Soft is on my ignore ,never again list. Only if TR relaunch happen but it is imagination(or maybe not look Lineage , I have dream !)

After City of Heroes, I felt the same way about NC Soft. But W* just tempted me so much. I liked the concept, setting, art, humor, music, etc. It had so much potential that I gave them a second chance. I'm not sure if NC Soft is totally at fault as opposed to how Carbine Studios was managed and other factors. But now I've recommitted to the idea of no more NC Soft ever. (Unless they bring back CoH and I get my old characters back. I can dream, too!)
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    bcbully said:
    SBFord said:

I'm sorry to see it go.

I thought that their paths system (explorer, settler, etc.) was a brilliant original idea and the potential of such was clear even in the launch game. Unfortunately, it was underdeveloped.
    Tuor7AlverantMrMelGibson
  • TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    The day before my birthday

imageimage

• eLdeeNeeeLdeeNee Member UncommonPosts: 4
    they could transform this game in a coop game; they have a great story - gameplay - nice crafting - housing - bosses - ideas... i dont know, is sad to know a great game will turn to ashes cause ppl dont enjoy difficult games.
    Alverant
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    AeanderJeffSpicolinecrolockMrMelGibson

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• dpadvandaldpadvandal Member CommonPosts: 3
    i would love it if the game got an underground free server after this. the mechanics were crazy, but the combat was rather fun. plus the home worlds users could make were beautiful. why do you think WoW had garrisons 2 expansions ago?? hell, Fortnite uses crafting like WildStar.

the game was just something different that sadly kept no hold. i will miss this game, but i will always miss Fantasy Earth Zero
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I loved the marketing before the game launched which is what made me give it a go. The wild and crazy aspects of the game were only skin deep with a WoW core. So everytime I played I would think I could just be playing WoW which was much more developed. Amazing they lasted so long. If it had come out five years sooner it probably would have been a hit. I wish the teams the best.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Last days of SWG people were going around giving away great weapons and gear.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• geburahsangeburahsan Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Personally i couldnt get past over lv 25 before i left the game from pure boredom, the leveling made grind games be fun in comparison. The pvp was a royal mess with aoe markers everywhere and pve planning was so bad that even hardcore players said "screw it" with crap like the atunement.

In the end was a steaming piece of crap wrapped on a cool looking package which magic is lost until you dig it in and unwrap it

Even there ARE players that liked it only a fool creates a game for a 5% of the players and expect to not be a faliure