Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard, the WoW Community & MSi Team Up to Surprise Struggling Deadly Boss Mods Creator

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageBlizzard, the WoW Community & MSi Team Up to Surprise Struggling Deadly Boss Mods Creator - MMORPG.com

A week or so ago, Adam, the creator of Deadly Boss Mods, one of the most widely-used mods in World of Warcraft, wrote that he was discontinuing support of DBM due to his own failing health and that of his mother. Since that time, the WoW community has come to his aid by bolstering his monthly Patreon supporters from about 500 before his post to nearly 3,000 as of today. Not only will this allow him to continue supporting DBM, but the amount will allow him to address his medical issues.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

ceratop001Azaron_Nightblade

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    I love a feel-good story. This is amazing, both from the WoW community's support and that of the dev team and MSi. Kudos all around!
    Nephethrertezceratop001klash2defThahar[Deleted User]ceh430Viper482DiscipledOneKyleranand 8 others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    i love this, much needed story.
    SBFord[Deleted User]ceh430
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    If this was the Bethesda modding community, they'd have had pitch forks and death threats because someone is getting paid to mod

But this shows how great the WoW modding community is. Well deserved!
    Kyleran

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444
    I don't know how I feel on this. It stinks too heavily of lazy gamers doing whatever they can to not be lazy.
    SBFordceh430ThaharViper482NephethjimmywolfGobstopper3D
  • calibekcalibek Member UncommonPosts: 300
    edited September 2018

If this was the Bethesda modding community, they'd have had pitch forks and death threats because someone is getting paid to mod

Yes this sounds a lot like them. Go to a few different Skyrim forums and bring up the Creation Club and see the responses. I could have thrown myself off the roof and been more gentle than they were.

As far as this story, I do like the idea of a community coming together to support someone who is down and out.

edited September 2018
    I don't know how I feel on this. It stinks too heavily of lazy gamers doing whatever they can to not be lazy.
    [ self edit for misunderstanding and getting salty ] :(
    Post edited by SBFord on
    [Deleted User]Thahar

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

edited September 2018
    SBFord said:
    This guy has made this mod for free and then, after Patreon, for a pittance per month for years. Do you have any idea how involved it is for him to create and program the mod that determines the proper mechanics for EVERY boss fight in EVERY dungeon and raid in World of Warcraft? This is one guy raiding exhaustively so he understands and can then input the necessary data, sounds, suggestions, tips, etc. He does this alone and has for literally years.

He cares for his sick mother on top of all that and you have the audacity to say "lazy gamer"?

Just when I thought I'd seen it all. Wow...just wow.

It was in reference to the gamers themselves (imagine what they would do without the addon) and the lazy gamer stereotype.

To me it sounded like a few kids with money got together to help out another guy so they can continue to be lazier (then w/out the addon.) AKA, throwing money at the problem.

Because I'll admit DBM does a whole lot of work, although most of its' copy and pasted from wowhead.com (you can view pages with typos on wowhead and they appear in DBM lol.)
  • WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member RarePosts: 449
    SBFord said:
    This guy has made this mod for free and then, after Patreon, for a pittance per month for years. Do you have any idea how involved it is for him to create and program the mod that determines the proper mechanics for EVERY boss fight in EVERY dungeon and raid in World of Warcraft? This is one guy raiding exhaustively so he understands and can then input the necessary data, sounds, suggestions, tips, etc. He does this alone and has for literally years.

He cares for his sick mother on top of all that and you have the audacity to say "lazy gamer"?

Just when I thought I'd seen it all. Wow...just wow.
      It was pretty clear to me he wasn't talking about the modder. (making trigger sound effects)
    AriesTigerjimmywolf
    @AriesTiger Thanks for clarifying :) I'm so used to people coming in and trashing every WoW thread that I did indeed trigger. I apologize. No hard feelings? :)

WalkinGlennThupliCyber_wasteland

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

edited September 2018
    :o I guess I'm going to turn on some pandora or something...lol. I wasn't at all knocking the dude for getting money (and most likely requesting it.) With this next generation being so lazy and soft it just seemed so "as if..." that they would throw money at a problem.

EDIT: No hard feelings. I fealt like it was probably "me" anyhow, so I'm chillaxing to: "60s 70s and 80s hit radio"
    edited September 2018
    :o I guess I'm going to turn on some pandora or something...lol. I wasn't at all knocking the dude for getting money (and most likely requesting it.) With this next generation being so lazy and soft it just seemed so "as if..." that they would throw money at a problem.
    Again, apologies. I understand your point. "Instant charity" without a personal investment -- what I've called the Facebook Donation syndrome. 

I need to stop channeling my Inner Warchief. >.>

Cyber_wastelandGobstopper3D

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    I've seen this happen quite a few times on small youtube gaming channels, streams and so on. It's really nice for the gaming community to support content creators and entertainers. In the past, it was only the rich that could afford to give money to artists and the like. Nice to know we live in an age where that is a 99% luxury as well.
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    edited September 2018

I'm going to assume you haven't read the man's original post that started it all. I highly reccommend reading the entire thing. Maybe this passage will motivate you to give him a few minutes of your time to at least read it:

I have health issues because I can't afford medical insurance or to have dental surgery I need. I take fish antibiotics to manage an abscess tooth I've had since legion pre expansion event. Unfortunately, as my body has gotten more resistant to antibiotics, the infection has spread to 2 other teeth and even begun to spread to parts of my jaw now and if I don't have it treated soon, it could escalate into a blood infection. I've delayed it as long as I could with self medicating to try and save up money to get treatment.

Here's another one:
    However, I'm going to be real here. I don't just work on DBM full time. It's all I do period. I have no life, no friends, no time to really do anything else at all. It's not just coding mods here or getting to play the game for money. It's not as peaches as it sounds. It's committing to every ptr/beta even when I have a raid character to maintain on live and raids to go to later that night. It's grinding dungeons, artifact power, world quests, gathering mats, leveling blacksmithing so I can craft even more raid gear, etc. Many hours, EVERY DAY. If there is no ptr/beta, there is always something to catch up on or do. Even then, sometimes something has to give. PVP mods got axed for recently. It's not even just the code refactoring that 8.0 would need (although that's huge reason), it's "where the hell am I going to find time to spam run BGs to make sure these things even work?".

In addition, I'm still a caretaker for another human being too. My 70 year old disabled mother needs my help a lot too. I have to step away from computer a lot to help her do something she can't do on own. Do errands or do chores. In fact, since bfa has launched I've been so buried that my grass is now over 2 feet tall. :\
    And he can't just get a job outside the home because she needs full time care. So no this is not about the community being afraid of losing a mod. It's about people genuinely feeling bad for another human that's had an impact on a lot of our lives.

And if you wanna talk about the mod, the reality is the WoW community has an insane amount of active modders who could easily take over, and a lot of hardcore raiders who could help as well. It's not like it would be the first mod to change hands. It's quite common. It should also be pointed out that all boss mechanics are in the in game guide already, so it's not like players have to figure it out on their own already without the mod. :P
    jimmywolfsschrupp
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    @leiloni you may have pulled the same false trigger @SBFord did.

[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MevlokMevlok Member CommonPosts: 1
    edited September 2018
    I think its interesting that the article here says "wrote that he was discontinuing support and development of DBM due to his own failing health and that of his mother" yet no where did he say he was discontinuing support for the addon, only that he was going to step down from mythic raiding and may need more help from the community to find bugs.

Regardless, I am glad to see that his hard work and long standing dedication is finally being recognized. A lot of people do not seem to understand how long this man has actually been upkeeping this addon. The vast majority of the player base has used it for many years and has become pretty much required for serious raiding content (along with others such as BigWigs). I can only imagine the amount of hours he has slaved at his keyboard for the benefit of millions. It is about time he is recognized.
    Scot
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,823

Kyleran said:

@leiloni you may have pulled the same false trigger @SBFord did.

False trigger or nor perhaps a topic about the community banding together to help another out during a time of failing health for him and his mother isnt the time for you to get on your soapbox about third party mods that "play the game for you".
    jimmywolf
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    Mevlok said:
    I think its interesting that the article here says "wrote that he was discontinuing support and development of DBM due to his own failing health and that of his mother" yet no where did he say he was discontinuing support for the addon, only that he was going to step down from mythic raiding and may need more help from the community to find bugs.

Regardless, I am glad to see that his hard work and long standing dedication is finally being recognized. A lot of people do not seem to understand how long this man has actually been upkeeping this addon. The vast majority of the player base has used it for many years and has become pretty much required for serious raiding content (along with others such as BigWigs). I can only imagine the amount of hours he has slaved at his keyboard for the benefit of millions. It is about time he is recognized.
    Welcome to the boards!
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Even a story about people helping each other out turned into a negative thread. Good stuff.
    Leiloni
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    SBFord said:
    I love a feel-good story. This is amazing, both from the WoW community's support and that of the dev team and MSi. Kudos all around!
    Awww yeah! One of those things that shows there are good people out there :D
    SBFord

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited September 2018

well, guess you don't raid :) ever drove a car without abs, servo and all this shit? that's what raiding is like without dbm. possible, but way less fun.
    SBFordNepheth

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• KiwiHypeKiwiHype Member UncommonPosts: 233
    Mod developers are so undervalued in most games, this is amazing! All the very best to them and their mother.
    SBFord
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    We can safely say that WoW would not be as popular as it is now if it werent for all those addon developers.

I mean, just look at the game UI and funcionality (or lack thereof).

Blizzard really has to thank those selfless addon devs for helping out the game and its popularity, and functinality!
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

We can safely say that WoW would not be as popular as it is now if it werent for all those addon developers.

I mean, just look at the game UI and funcionality (or lack thereof).

Blizzard really has to thank those selfless addon devs for helping out the game and its popularity, and functinality!

on the other hand, one of the best raid healers i ever had strictly refused to play with addons, so he would NEVER EVER run in the danger that his "needed" addons wouldn't work on patchday.

and damn, he really rocked :)
    *hey rig*

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• Cyber_wastelandCyber_wasteland Member UncommonPosts: 192
    IDC what company it comes from, Even if it was EA(Good luck) but reading stuff like this makes me happy to see the community and the "faceless dev company" coming together and doing good for one another.

Video games are all here for fun, for an escape, for stress relief. Whatever you want to use them for they are here for us to have fun and be thankful that we have the technology available for us to enjoy these said things. I'm just as jelly as the next this guy got cool stuff but its no reason to hate on some on who may be down in the dumps or hard luck.

kuddos to blizz, I personally may have reasons not to like them but still going to give kuddos for taking the time to send this kind soul some love.