Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pathfinder Kingmaker So Far So Great

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    It 's fantastic and another gem in the cRPG crown over the last couple of years. :) Owlcat did a magnificent job!

klash2defMrMelGibson

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• forcelimaforcelima Member UncommonPosts: 232
    It is a great game until you get the save game error and it deletes your save file. 
    SBFord[Deleted User]killerqueerOctagon7711Maurgrim
  • AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 872
    blue can you choose classes or how does that work exactly? 
    [Deleted User]
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    forcelima said:
    It is a great game until you get the save game error and it deletes your save file. 
    ….

That's distressing to hear. How far into the game were you? Is it a widespread bug as far as you know?  O.o

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Thanks for the update blueturtle...Is this f2p, b2p, p2p?
  • jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Downloading now and looking forward to it.
    forcelimaMrMelGibson

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box

• forcelimaforcelima Member UncommonPosts: 232
    edited September 2018
    @SBFord ; I just completed the fight at the olegs outpost so not far at all.  But it is happening regularly for me so i quick save before every save. It works pretty well usually only 1 save gets deleted. Dont' get me wrong i am loving the game but it is a little disheartening when you have an error pop up during a save and all you progress is gone.
    Octagon7711
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    Will likely wait a few till they get some bugs worked out. The devs have a live gameplay going on for hours today, they really care about this game. I believe they will work hard to make it 100%. They were already addressing bugs and taking live chat questions from players.
    forcelimaTokkenMrMelGibson
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• BananableBananable Member UncommonPosts: 194
    *Siiiiiiigh*

"So I am playing Pathfinder Kingmaker today and I have to say this is a really good game."
    Its like those steam reviews, kids play for 5 min and shout: AMAZING! BEST GEAM EVA! RECOMEND IT!

How can you tell if its good if you havent finished it? Imagine if that was a book or movie, how can you say anything about it, not only you dunno about the end, you havent even got to the middle of story?

"The lighting is awesome"
    Most important thing for crpg.  >.>

"Gory death lol"
    I agree, LOL!    Is this your first game?

"lots and lots of depth"
    Nope.
    Even first conversation filled with hate. Devs' hate to players.
    One of the questions I can ask give me "stop asking stupid question" reply...LITERALLY.
    Why the flock you give me that option then?
    Also most important thing is...You CANT actually be evil... But the game gives you choise.
    When i said something "bad" my allies (which joined to me automatically) start moaning: "How can you say such awfull things?"
    Um...cuz im EVIL...DUH!

I said that before...DAO isnt the best game, it has alot of ...weird stuff. But even now theres (still) no other game that has different beginnings (personal stories) for your charcter.

This game is 45% from POE 45% - DnD (NVN) and 10% is just new story and decorations.
    Optimization  is awfull...because thats feature these days. Even crpgs requres 1080. Cause crpg needs HBAO , Depth of field and other BS. This game eats 2,5k+ vram ( even witcher 3 and DOS2 use less).  According to steam, recomended : ATI Radeon HD 5770 or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M.
    It looks better than POE 2, but still you cant turn camera around.

Combat is weird. Its RT but with CD on basic attack (like in POE but worse)...and INSANE amount of missses. >.>
    AI is dumb, while my char was affected some "fear" spell and run around in the corner they shoot pillar in front of him.

Stats check is wierd, it dont tell you your stats when you have to choose option. So in the first one (I have to go through burning building) i failed all three of them, and all my chars could get through, but got injured. Health apparently doesnt recover after a fight, awesome.    >.>  

So its (another) oldschool (small) game that reqires new $$$$ PC.

TokkenKalebGraysonYashaXSailorMom
  • Rockinw311Rockinw311 Member UncommonPosts: 146
    edited September 2018
    DMKano said:
    forcelima said:
    @SBFord ; I just completed the fight at the olegs outpost so not far at all.  But it is happening regularly for me so i quick save before every save. It works pretty well usually only 1 save gets deleted. Dont' get me wrong i am loving the game but it is a little disheartening when you have an error pop up during a save and all you progress is gone.

From what others have reported - if you see ANY weird behavior in game - like flickering pixels or anything that looks corrupted - exit immediately and relaunch.

The current bug is the game keeps running but is in a corrupted state - and this deletes saves files and some have lost even custom characters.

So save often and kill the game immediately if you see any odd behavior.

I know one of the difficulty modes has some kind of restriction on the number of save files, limiting to just one I believe (my memory isn't the greatest)? With the save corruption, in that mode, does it essentially mean you lose all progress and have to restart the game from scratch? I'm assuming it would, but don't have my hands on a copy of the game yet to verify

Edit - I'm also very much looking forward to the game, so great to hear others are enjoying it so far!
  • WBadgerWBadger Member RarePosts: 371
    DMKano said:
    forcelima said:

From what others have reported - if you see ANY weird behavior in game - like flickering pixels or anything that looks corrupted - exit immediately and relaunch.

The current bug is the game keeps running but is in a corrupted state - and this deletes saves files and some have lost even custom characters.

So save often and kill the game immediately if you see any odd behavior.

I know one of the difficulty modes has some kind of restriction on the number of save files, limiting to just one I believe (my memory isn't the greatest)? With the save corruption, in that mode, does it essentially mean you lose all progress and have to restart the game from scratch? I'm assuming it would, but don't have my hands on a copy of the game yet to verify

Edit - I'm also very much looking forward to the game, so great to hear others are enjoying it so far!
    Yup.  Ironman mode there's only one save file that is constantly autosaved over and saved on quitting.  If that save file corrupts, your pretty much out of luck.  Would recommend avoiding ironman until at least a month after launch just to lower the risk of throwing your computer out the window because your 20 hour ironman save corrupted and you lost everything.
    Rockinw311
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    I bought the game so have to save twice is it to avoid bug?  I will cry if I lose progress.
    Chamber of Chains
  • AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 872
    starting a game now, it does have a lot of class choices.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Torval said:
    Thanks for the update blueturtle...Is this f2p, b2p, p2p?
    It's B2P with a few tiers. The base game is $40 on GoG or Steam. The edition with the Season Pass for DLC is $85.
    Thanks ill add it to wishlist and get some more info
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    I've been watching Cohhcarnage play this on Twitch this week. It is like seeing an updated Baldur's Gate with better graphics. It is straight from the Pathfinder version of Dungeons and Dragons 3.5, so it has a good base of deep systems.

Cohh is playing on "hard difficulty" and many times during his cast he has to remind people that complain about him dieing all the time that he is on hard difficulty. The highest difficulty is called "unfair", which gets smiles when he shows his viewers that choice ;)

I'm looking forward to my own time playing this, but I'll wait a bit before jumping in :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I was reading up on it, and the biggest con I've seen noted is the tuning of some fights.  Werewolves at level 2 were mentioned more than once (as a random encounter), and some other fights.  Reviewers seemed to feel the game throws overtuned monsters at you pretty early on.

Can anyone here elaborate?  Is this overblown hyperbole, or have any of you ran into these kinds of fights?
    Tokken

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    lol. I bought the game and I have spending the majority of my time in character creation.  I love the depth and choices we have in making characters.
    AlBQuirky

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    I ended up refunding it personally. I can use the refund money on Assassin's Creed Odyssey so not any loss really. But still a shame.

I don't even know if the game is good from personal experience. But maybe my PC can't play it. But it runs fine...I get off...and then my save stops working. So I start a new game, nothing weird, no obvious glitches. I save it, get off (since I tend to play games in 30 minute stretches, and this happened 3 times) and suddenly for some reason closing the game broke my save. 

I didn't notice lag or anything, but my CPU is super old (its a junk i5 660, not even a quad core, its a dual core that is shit) and I noticed my CPU spiked to 100% any time I closed the game and my whole computer would lock up for 10-30 seconds (longest time was 28 seconds) as the game exited. Only other game to do that is Star Citizen since my PC is nowhere good enough for SC lol.

But from watching a let's play of it, it didn't look like my type of game anyway. Kinda goes into too hardcore experience for me. I think Divinity 2 personally fits me a lot better and I still play that. But I still wanted to give Pathfinder a chance since some games are better personally experienced. For example, Dark Souls I hated to watch. My least my favorite game to watch ever, but one of my top favorite games I've played. Sadly, at about 1 hour and 48 minutes of my save continually breaking and barely able to experience the game, I wanted my money back before it went over the 2 hour time limit. 

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• SplattrSplattr Member RarePosts: 537
    Man, another RPG I want to play. It's just a terrible time in gaming when you have more games to play than time to play them!
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    I was reading up on it, and the biggest con I've seen noted is the tuning of some fights.  Werewolves at level 2 were mentioned more than once (as a random encounter), and some other fights.  Reviewers seemed to feel the game throws overtuned monsters at you pretty early on.

Can anyone here elaborate?  Is this overblown hyperbole, or have any of you ran into these kinds of fights?
    I'm not sure, but "the wolves" I saw as a random encounter as Cohh traveled along a road. NOT werewolves, just regular old wolves. I don't know if this what that person was referring to or not.

It is like an old D&D game. You have 1 hit dice for health, so your health ranges from 1d6 to 1 d10  (+/- constitution modifiers). Most weapons can do that damage in one or two hits. Add the possibility for a critical hit and one shots are commonplace.

Unlike old D&D games, there is no DM to "fudge rolls" to help keep players alive ;)

Cohh, as he ventured through the tutorial, died a lot. He had no place to rest or recover but healing potions were abundant. A lot of his deaths came from not knowing the Pathfinder system. Attacks of Opportunity (AoO) are the killers. If you're in melee with someone, shooting a bow warrants an AoO. If you're near three opponents, that's 3 attacks. Casting spells in melee warrants the same. Using items in melee range is the same.

Pathfinder is an unforgiving system. I hope that helps a little? Again, I'm no expert (except the D&D part), but hopefully shed some light :)
    MadFrenchieRockinw311

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

AlBQuirky said:

I'm not sure, but "the wolves" I saw as a random encounter as Cohh traveled along a road. NOT werewolves, just regular old wolves. I don't know if this what that person was referring to or not.

It is like an old D&D game. You have 1 hit dice for health, so your health ranges from 1d6 to 1 d10  (+/- constitution modifiers). Most weapons can do that damage in one or two hits. Add the possibility for a critical hit and one shots are commonplace.

Unlike old D&D games, there is no DM to "fudge rolls" to help keep players alive ;)

Cohh, as he ventured through the tutorial, died a lot. He had no place to rest or recover but healing potions were abundant. A lot of his deaths came from not knowing the Pathfinder system. Attacks of Opportunity (AoO) are the killers. If you're in melee with someone, shooting a bow warrants an AoO. If you're near three opponents, that's 3 attacks. Casting spells in melee warrants the same. Using items in melee range is the same.

Pathfinder is an unforgiving system. I hope that helps a little? Again, I'm no expert (except the D&D part), but hopefully shed some light :)
    Thanks for the reply!  The reviews seemed to indicate their issue was with powerful mobs showing up so early.  In the Werewolf example, they advised the mobs were extremely resistant to any attack that wasn't made with silver weapons.  They asserted that, at level 2, they had not encountered a single silver weapon yet in the world or at a merchant.

It seemed to me the issue they described was implying the devs set powerful mob types as an option for the random fights right out of the gate, not realizing that if those mobs happened to get selected at random too early in the game for a random encounter, the player will have little to no ability to respond appropriately.
    Octagon7711AlBQuirky

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Torval said:
    I might have read that review too and it was well articulated. The poster I read cited 3 different encounter examples that would always end in death and defeat. A few other reviews mentioned this as well, but didn't explain it as clearly.

I'm going to wait a while and see how things look after it's had some time and polish.
    That particular review was quite detailed.  I was already waiting for a sale, but that complaint definitely needs some kind of response from the developers.  Bugs are one thing, but designed imbalance issues like that need fixes before I can put my money into it.  Hopefully, these issues will be addressed soon.

[Deleted User]

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Torval said:
    One point he made in the review is that those situations are fine later on down the road when the game has provided you the opportunity to plan and build for that. Doing so early on in the game, just out of the tutorial, is not okay.

In that, or one of the nearby, reviews they did say the tutorial experience is very good. I think that's important. Overall I get the impression, just like I have for most of the indie games I've played this year, they just need a couple more months of production polish. I feel like most indie games feel so much pressure to get it out the door and funds rolling back in that they skip the production polish steps that major studios put in.
    That was the one I read that gave me the most pause, too.  I read many of the classic "omg wtf were they thinking this is awful, Werewolves?!" kind of reviews, but those are less effective in giving me pause than a well-written one that reads more like feedback to devs than a tirade.
    [Deleted User]MendelAlBQuirky

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I'm going to pay more attention to a well written and articulate review, either positive or negative.  Reviews aren't an art form, but i don't have much tolerance for slack writing.  Communicating a opinion is the purpose of a review.  I dismiss the 'DON'T BUY THIS GAME' reviews completely.  I know what kinds of games I like, how much I have to spend and what perceived value I see in a game.

MadFrenchie[Deleted User]AlBQuirkyklash2def

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.