Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Customer Throws Tantrum About Female Generals, Is Completely Wrong

Comments

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited September 2018
    Phry said:
    Spiider said:
    Female Roman generals are as authentic as black nazis.
    And authenticity is as authentic as white black panthers.

Edit: It is interesting that this turned into a conversation about games and game mechanics. I think fundamentally we are very nerdy.
    Authenticity is a huge problem in games lately, take Battlefield V, people had a huge problem with having a cricket bat wielding female cyborg and a guy with a Katana being in the game. If people suspect there is an agenda being pushed on players, sometimes its very hard to see that as not being the case. :/
    Don't be obtuse.  The outrage over Battlefield V wasn't a katana being in the game, and it wasn't cyborgs.  It was a woman soldier.  DICE even responded with how stupid it was to try and point to historical authenticity with regards to gender in a game where three players can ride a horse together shooting Flamethrowers.

Painting that controversy like it was about cyborgs or a katana is being disingenuous, unless there was some kind of second outrage that happened simultaneously or after the "female soldiers, go fuck yourselves!" one.  I don't remember seeing anything about another one.
    IselinZenJelly

Rhoklaw said:
    What? Someone skewed information, claiming it as fact in order to push an agenda? Gee, THAT has never happened before. No offense, but the folks on the "other side of the spectrum" have been doing this for years. Now it's suddenly a disturbing thing to see someone from the opposite side of their spectrum doing the same thing?

Just looks to me like someone joined the bandwagon on fake news.
    Skewing is being generous.  There were no changes to female general spawn rates.  The facts weren't skewed, they were completely made up.
    gervaise1

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    White men will just have to learn to unpucker their butts and continue to meet people halfway, more and more. That's being said by a white man...

Sorry guys, the ride was smooth for a looooooong time. We have to evolve at some point.

Gut Out!
    MadFrenchieSBFordTaneoncheyaneZenJellyKyleranFlyByKnightalkarionlogHiromantTuor7

What, me worry?

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    It's clear as day red hats have reached critical mass of ignorance and absurdity, BUT it's still a fact that there is silly agenda pushing by the other extremity. This type of stuff isn't effective. All it does is rile up and substantiate the ravings of idiots. Revising history or contrived attempts at repackaging long standing lore when no one requested is just lazy and instigating.

I'm not saying there isn't room for creative shifts but everyone knows in their gut (again reasonable people, not knuckle dragging peons) when some cornball exec is making a crumby decision that doesn't help anything.

All this sh!# needs to stop. ALL OF IT.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Phry said:
    Spiider said:
    Female Roman generals are as authentic as black nazis.
    And authenticity is as authentic as white black panthers.

Edit: It is interesting that this turned into a conversation about games and game mechanics. I think fundamentally we are very nerdy.
    Authenticity is a huge problem in games lately, take Battlefield V, people had a huge problem with having a cricket bat wielding female cyborg and a guy with a Katana being in the game. If people suspect there is an agenda being pushed on players, sometimes its very hard to see that as not being the case. :/
    I'm not saying that agendas don't sometimes get pushed but looking for it under every rock is pretty fucking paranoid.

Learn to pick your spots and maybe have another look at The Boy Who Cried Wolf :)
    SBFordMadFrenchieKyleran
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

edited September 2018
    It's clear as day red hats have reached critical mass of ignorance and absurdity, BUT it's still a fact that there is silly agenda pushing by the other extremity. This type of stuff isn't effective. All it does is rile up and substantiate the ravings of idiots. Revising history or contrived attempts at repackaging long standing lore when no one requested is just lazy and instigating.

I'm not saying there isn't room for creative shifts but everyone knows in their gut (again reasonable people, not knuckle dragging peons) when some cornball exec is making a crumby decision that doesn't help anything.

That's the thing, CA went out of their way to fit women in in a way that at least makes logical sense.  They examined the cultures of each, and only gave chances to spawn female generals for cultures that were not heavily patriarchical (this is why Rome, Greece, and some others have zero chance to spawn a female general) or had recorded instances of female leaders.

Logic, though, is dangerously unpopular these days.

EDIT- Not only that, but giving players female options is likely more a marketing thing than any kind of virtue signaling.  Much like Nike said to southern white Americans "we don't care you hate Kaepernick," moves of inclusion don't care if a subsection of white males dislike it because they aren't dominating the market like they did.  In addition to even THAT, adding female gender options is literally just adding customization options in the majority of cases.  But options are bad these days somehow, because us white men feel threatened by their very existence, apparently.
    [Deleted User]SBFordKajidourden

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

That's the thing, CA went out of their way to fit women in in a way that at least makes logical sense.  They examined the cultures of each, and only gave chances to spawn female generals for cultures that were not heavily patriarchical (this is why Rome, Greece, and some others have zero chance to spawn a female general) or had recorded instances of female leaders.

No I get it, I'm just speaking in general (no pun). What I spoke to is why certain tards have the reactions they do to stuff like this. There is a silly poorly executed agenda that reasonable people will simply scoff at while the moron army gets all Alex Jones or Cliven Bundy over it.
    MadFrenchie
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    so one dude complaining about a history issue and authenticity in a game is review bombing? damn that game really is lacking review if only one review is enough to bomb it, or not that good for that matter

now I wonder why post it here and not on steam....
    Go check the reviews if you like.  One review doesn't create Overwhelmingly Negative in Steam's system.  Gaming outlets are also reporting the review bombing, which I linked.  Not sure where you got the impression only one review was involved.
    I did saw that one most negative was for bugs and others problems, the owman on romans side was like one review, with can be by bug or some other since you are mentioning roman really can't get woman as generals.

so there is any reason for this be here and not on steam? only think I can see is you saw one review and a note on kotaku with means both did get buthurt for his review and are now trying to portait this as a something I don't even know the name.

that review is right anyway, romans never let woman be generals, I should get back there and give that dude props, because in some words he made a news and several people buthurt.
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.

No I get it, I'm just speaking in general (no pun). What I spoke to is why certain tards have the reactions they do to stuff like this. There is a silly poorly executed agenda that reasonable people will simply scoff at while the moron army gets all Alex Jones or Cliven Bundy over it.
    I don't disagree there have been ham-fisted attempts that haven't added quality to a game, movie, or what have you..  But those things are usually critiqued regarding the ham-fisted dialogue/scenes/what have you as you would expect.  I'm all for critiquing things like that- no matter what the character or social preferences, poor dialogue/acting is poor and should be called out.  Like you say, though, many will ignore that issue to try and make it about the character sexual orientation or whatever trigger topic they find hidden away that they feel slights them.

Torval said:

I think that they deserve some amount of "DLC hate" personally. They are one of the most egregious development teams when it comes to the sheer volume of DLC. And it is, at least in my opinion, overpriced in most cases.

But watching a game get review bombed for som RNG system where people think there are too many female generals per capita is just plain stupid.
    They also recycle a lot and that has put some fans off. Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia was criticized for that. It can sort of feel like they're taking much of another game, reskinning it, and then selling it for a premium with a ton of DLC that should have been part of the full package.

The social issue isn't going away. A demographic wants to dominate and they don't want to share any of that. They'll lash out irrationally whenever they even remotely feel that is threatened. They will burn the world before giving up what they feel entitled to. If they can't have it their way with them being the centerpiece, then no one can. We're not through dealing with that yet and it will get uglier and more pervasive and I think the backlash will be equally as ugly and brutal.

I just move forward with life regardless. It's fine. This is fine.

yeah damn liberal :lol:
    edited September 2018
    so one dude complaining about a history issue and authenticity in a game is review bombing? damn that game really is lacking review if only one review is enough to bomb it, or not that good for that matter

Go check the reviews if you like.  One review doesn't create Overwhelmingly Negative in Steam's system.  Gaming outlets are also reporting the review bombing, which I linked.  Not sure where you got the impression only one review was involved.
    I did saw that one most negative was for bugs and others problems, the owman on romans side was like one review, with can be by bug or some other since you are mentioning roman really can't get woman as generals.

so there is any reason for this be here and not on steam? only think I can see is you saw one review and a note on kotaku with means both did get buthurt for his review and are now trying to portait this as a something I don't even know the name.

that review is right anyway, romans never let woman be generals, I should get back there and give that dude props, because in some words he made a news and several people buthurt.
    The game doesn't allow female Roman generals.  The dude was either grossly confused or made shit up.

If you're literally not gonna read, not sure why you insist on jumping in with posts.

You can still go find multiple reviews that merely say "get woke, go broke" and/or mention this issue.  Additionally, I've already said there are legit concerns being swept behind (Red Shell, DLC ridiculousness) by a conjured, false issue.
    alkarionlog

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Rhoklaw said:
    What? Someone skewed information, claiming it as fact in order to push an agenda? Gee, THAT has never happened before. No offense, but the folks on the "other side of the spectrum" have been doing this for years. Now it's suddenly a disturbing thing to see someone from the opposite side of their spectrum doing the same thing?

Just looks to me like someone joined the bandwagon on fake news.
    Nope. You cannot rewrite the past like that.
    Even though some try to make it out like there is some same/same relation to what is happening now, and how things worked have worked prior, its is simply not so. Reporting always had strict ethical guide lines in major news outlets. Currently the side spewing bullshit has NO ethical guide lines, so not same/same. And thus, end of discussion.
    Gutlard said:
    White men will just have to learn to unpucker their butts and continue to meet people halfway, more and more. That's being said by a white man...

Sorry guys, the ride was smooth for a looooooong time. We have to evolve at some point.

Gut Out!
    I laughed so hard when I listened to Bo Burnham's "Straight White Male" song.  It so perfectly embodies our "plight." :D 
    Gutlardalkarionlog

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

The game doesn't allow female Roman generals.  The dude was either grossly confused or made shit up.

If you're literally not gonna read, not sure why you insist on jumping in with posts.

You can still go find multiple reviews that merely say "get woke, go broke" and/or mention this issue.  Additionally, I've already said there are legit concerns being swept behind (Red Shell, DLC ridiculousness) by a conjured, false issue.
    Yeah there are a ton of reviews I was seeing that were in relation to the female generals and go woke go broke. Also all you have to do is look at the graph of negative reviews. To see the reviews that are being review bombed, you have to turn off the review helpfulness filter. 

The second I turn that off you see all kinds of reviews about SJW's, and female generals. 
    MadFrenchie
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Lokero said:

I think that they deserve some amount of "DLC hate" personally. They are one of the most egregious development teams when it comes to the sheer volume of DLC. And it is, at least in my opinion, overpriced in most cases.

But watching a game get review bombed for som RNG system where people think there are too many female generals per capita is just plain stupid.
    Not that I'm a fan of the practice, but to be fair to CA, their DLC history honestly is quite tame compared to their rival.
    The DLC milking is a trademark of Paradox with their strategy line-up.  Their games have literal hundreds of dollars of DLC and they steadily release more.

I'm thinking CA was probably inspired by them to increase their own slice of the pie a bit.  Though CA's DLC milking is still much less(amount-wise), they get a lot more hate for it(probably just due to the popularity of the Total War franchise).

More on topic, the whole "review bombing" phenomenon is pathetic altogether.  Nothing screams whiny tantrum like trying to take down a video game.
    ceratop001MadFrenchieKyleran
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Women in ancient Rome couldn't vote or hold office and were forbidden in the Army. Some liberal hack made them Generals in a video game. Who cares actually.
    LokeroKyleran

Lokero said:
    Lokero said:

Not that I'm a fan of the practice, but to be fair to CA, their DLC history honestly is quite tame compared to their rival.
    The DLC milking is a trademark of Paradox with their strategy line-up.  Their games have literal hundreds of dollars of DLC and they steadily release more.

I'm thinking CA was probably inspired by them to increase their own slice of the pie a bit.  Though CA's DLC milking is still much less(amount-wise), they get a lot more hate for it(probably just due to the popularity of the Total War franchise).

More on topic, the whole "review bombing" phenomenon is pathetic altogether.  Nothing screams whiny tantrum like trying to take down a video game.
    or the whole whiny about the reviews they don't like
    Women in ancient Rome couldn't vote or hold office and were forbidden in the Army. Some liberal hack made them Generals in a video game. Who cares actually.
    true its kinda useless post a bad review for it, and complain about a bad review, but here we are
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    edited September 2018
    I, for one, certainly couldn't care less about this.

As far as taking historical liberties with the franchise goes, CA could always just consider adding in basic options toggles to disable anything historically out of place, in their future games. I doubt they care that much about such a triviality, but I guess it could give people one less thing to complain about.

Though, as I understand it(I haven't played Rome 2), the game doesn't even allow them in the Roman faction, so it's a moot point.
    [Deleted User]Kyleran
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited September 2018
    So a game that doesn't have female Roman generals gets accused of having too many female Roman generals. For follow up see Fox and Friends.
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]Kyleran
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    So let me get this straight, the game is fun, but randomly forces doods to have to have female Generals?  Talk about a lot of angst over something stupid. It actually made me laugh. The old phrase "Cry more noob" comes to mind. Play the game or don't, it's not a hard decision.
    Hiromant
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Tiller said:
    So let me get this straight, the game is fun, but randomly forces doods to have to have female Generals?  Talk about a lot of angst over something stupid. It actually made me laugh. The old phrase "Cry more noob" comes to mind. Play the game or don't, it's not a hard decision.
    Nope. Not only does the game not force you they (female Roman generals) are not in the game. Wouldn't be surprised if it turns up on Fox & Friends though - mustn't let facts get in the way of an agenda after all.
    alkarionlogYashaX
    edited September 2018
    There are no Roman female generals in the game.

Some of these responses are proof in the pudding of how grossly false narratives gain steam because folks don't want information, they want confirmation.
    Kyleranklash2defKajidourdenCazrielalkarionlog

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    gervaise1 said:
    Tiller said:
    Nope. Not only does the game not force you they (female Roman generals) are not in the game. Wouldn't be surprised if it turns up on Fox & Friends though - mustn't let facts get in the way of an agenda after all.
    Plus the factions that do have Female Generals have them showing up at a significantly lower rate than males to make it a bit more realistic (other than one faction that historically had them, which has something like a 60% rate)
    MadFrenchie
    edited September 2018
    So Total War Rome 2 is getting review bombed on Steam due to female generals being a feature.  The most popular negative review cited that half his Roman generals are now female, and the normal bitching you've come to expect in this day and age has started.

Interestingly enough, that review is completely false and straight up lies about the game to try and push its narrative of (and I cannot make this up) bitching about Creative Assembly pushing a narrative.  Here's the quote from an article regarding the data mined chance to get female generals:

"YouTuber RepublicOfPlay posted a video of his findings, pointing out that only certain cultures—Romans not among them—can even have women generals, and there’s a 65 per cent chance characters will be born male, and only a 35 per cent chance they’ll be female."

So man bitches about half his Roman generals being female in an attempt to push a narrative, datamining determines he's fabricating the essence of his claim in criticizing the game.  This is reality, and it's fucking pathetic.

EDIT- The review I mentioned:

"Why are suddenly half my ROMAN (known for being a predominantly patriarchal society) generals women? You know I wouldn't have a problem with that if I could disable and enable this "content" patch at will. But you just really want to forcefeed historical revisionism to your customers. Very disrespectful and generally not a good business practice (look what happened to EA).
    Not to mention that this game is still buggy and badly optimized after all these years. It seems that CA has stopped caring about making actually good games like Medieval 2 and Shogun, and now are only looking to pander to an audience that THEY ARE NEVER GOING TO ATTAIN BECAUSE THAT AUDIENCE DOESN'T CARE ABOUT HISTORICAL STRATEGY GAMES.
    All this pandering comes at the cost of the established, core audience. Not to mention the whole Red Shell incident. So yeah, don't buy this game, or any CA games for that matter, until CA gets its act together and starts respecting its customers."

https://store.steampowered.com/app/214950/Total_War_ROME_II__Emperor_Edition/

To recap: The Roman faction in the game does not allow female generals.  At all.

EDIT2- PCGamer updated with statement from CA:

"
    Creative Assembly has released a statement clarifying that spawn rates for female generals have not been changed, and the system is basically working as intended. "There have been no changes to recruitable female general spawn rates. But with the addition of the family tree feature and the new gameplay options it brings, playable factions may gain more female family members via marriage."

Spawn rates do differ by faction, however. They have a ten to 15 percent chance of spawning for most factions, bar "the Greek states, Rome, Carthage and some eastern factions, which have a 0% chance." Kush has a 50 percent chance. "This is to broadly represent the cultural differences in those factions during the time the game is set.""

https://www.pcgamer.com/total-war-rome-2-is-getting-review-bombed-on-steam-because-of-women-generals/

Completely made up outrage over a conspiracy theory-lie.  Wonder where those folks are taking their cues from?
    One thing you should always consider in this day and age are the possible ulterior motives behind this posters actions. Never take them at face value. Its quite likely this person is just stirring up shit for the luls to set both factions chasing their tails and cause chaos.

True enough.  It has even taken hold here, with posters assuming the claim made by the reviewer is true in spite of my OP explicitly including CA's statement and independent data-mining showing it was false.

Twilight Zone level shit.

EDIT- hell, it was clear by the title the reviewer was wrong.  Fucking mind-blowing.
    KyleranYashaX

• ZenJellyZenJelly Member UncommonPosts: 260
    edited September 2018
    What it is going to boil down to is whether or not this is a good game. The people complaining are the people who were most likely never going to buy it anyway or will later begrudgingly admit it's a pretty good game despite the "flaws" they talked about. If it's a bad game or is bug riddled then it'll fall on its face so like many before it. All the gamers in my circle and most I have met don't really listen to reviews, they make up their mind to play it well in advance to the reviews that come out. Reviews don't equal sales, just look at Telltale if you need proof. 
    MadFrenchie
This discussion has been closed.