Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question for EQ1 players

Comments

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    Well, if you go back far enough -- anything people sold could be bought back from the vendors.  I used to actually seed whole cities worth of vendors with junk so that I could buy what was behind the junk (it only showed 24 slots and there were 72 more behind it).  You wouldn't believe the number of say vellious crafting materials, spider silks, pelts of all sorts of qualities, and other special items people would sell to vendors.  It was a game in a game.
    craftseekerRidelynnKyleran
  • InteritusInteritus Member UncommonPosts: 236
    Despite the difficulty in EQ1, I also have the most memories from that game. When you accomplished something, you really earned it.  I have many fun memories from EQ1.

That said, MMO's have changed. They will tell you an area to do your quest or outright highlight what you are supposed to kill. And yeah, I completely take advantage of that.  We've become used to things being easy.

Some others touched on it, but I think it might be a hard sell for those who didn't experience old school EQ. And maybe even for those who did. 
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    There was something about eq that just felt real.  In these newer games it feels more like you are just spinning your wheels.  There is something different.  I hope Pantheon can grab that essence.
    craftseekerdelete5230Amathe
  • DOLPHYNNDOLPHYNN Member UncommonPosts: 5
    EQ had a lot of smaller features and systems missing from modern MMOs.  Factions were interesting.  It had drunken walking.  It had elvish and other languages you would learn by listening to them.  It had weight limits making your movement crawl due to the amount of moolah you had on you.  Underwater combat was a blast.  The devs focused on what they could make (Illusion spell to be an item in the environment inevitably made people try to be the pile of poop in Qeynos).  Bards had like a billion abilities to choose from, but they could only choose 8 of them at a time and hope they had what was needed.  Trains kept you on your toes.  

craftseekerdelete5230Amathe
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    svann said:
    There was something about eq that just felt real.  In these newer games it feels more like you are just spinning your wheels.  There is something different.  I hope Pantheon can grab that essence.
    What do you mean 'felt real'? I'm curious 
    Sorry but if you weren't there you will probably never know
    delete5230kitaradAmathe[Deleted User]
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    svann said:
    What's with making everyone explain themselves ? 
    I barely even played the game and I understand. A living breathing world where you can make your own choices, build YOUR OWN character, get a group together and make your own adventure. 

If you don't like it their are well 200 games that play the game for you.  Maybe you played so many of them you cant understand "felt real".  
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    svann said:
    I was there and I'm curious by what you mean. It was definitely a new experience.

IMO PvE over the years has dramatically improved and the NPC towns feel more 'alive'.
    [Deleted User]

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    immodium said:
    svann said:
    I was there and I'm curious by what you mean. It was definitely a new experience.

IMO PvE over the years has dramatically improved and the NPC towns feel more 'alive'.
    It distinctly had to do with it being my first mmorpg. 
    Kyleran

edited September 2018
    svann said:
    You want me to define a feeling?  It felt real.  It felt like a world.  Zones didnt feel like rooms with fights in them, they felt like part of a world.
    Amathe[Deleted User]

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

kitarad said:
    immodium said:
    svann said:

It distinctly had to do with it being my first mmorpg. 
    See that is the real answer. It was your first. People will always look fondly on their first. Regardless. 

Actually, UO was my first.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    For me "feeling real" meant i was fully immersed. I wasn't just playing the ranger class. I was a ranger. The woods were woods. The orcs were orcs. Mysteries abounded and I was fascinated by whatever was around the next corner. In much the same way a flight simulator can make you feel like you are really flying, I felt like I was a fantasy character in a fantasy world.

A fair amount of that was because it was my first mmorpg. That part can never be recaptured.

But the game itself played a big role too. I can still listen to the in game music and it carries me back to my adventures then. 
    Ridelynndelete5230Kyleran

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Dagimir said:
    This is ridiculous. How can you guys even form an opinion of everquest if you didn't play it in its heyday? The game had so many successful community building aspects to it that it promoted a healthy game environment in an mmo. It's success was how it forced people to interact in a positive manner to advance. In original everquest you could not solo. I cannot emphasize enough that the sheer difficulty of the game and not catering to the 'solo' player in an mmo is why it was a success.

Examples of positive community aspects:

Fast travel was only available through 2 classes. Druids and Wizards. Otherwise you would travel for what could literally be hours on foot with the chance of death and respawn at your bind point. This created taxi services and player interaction.

Trade and barter was nearly face to face. There was no market mechanic at all. People would literally shout in chat channels to come view their wares where they would show you backpacks full of loot and you could haggle with them in prices.  The players themselves on many servers set up a trade tunnel in a neutral area so all races could come and barter.

Fighting almost anything. If you were one of the weaker classes at the beginning of the game then a level 1 rat or a snake (that could kick) would kill your character. From the very start of the game to the end you were almost required to have a partner. This promoted the most heavily co-op and group centric mmorpg that I have ever experienced.

These are just a few of the many examples of what everquest got right that every single other mmorpg has failed at. Yeah it's not always convenient to find a partner but that's why there are things like tradeskills, bartering, and god forbid roleplaying at the dark elf tavern with the elf and troll strippers. (Look it up)
    My opinion as a person that never played as hardcore as this,
    I'm very looking forward to it, but at the same time it's scary (this is making me sound like a snowflake).  Best way to explain it is like getting on a bad ass roller coaster.  Yet I'll make it work NO MATTER WHAT, just like insisting on getting on the roller coaster.  

I think it was Amathe plans on playing slow and logging in to basking at the beautiful environment.  Maybe not them words, but it's something I would like to do. No rush I could be playing for years, and finding my crowed of people.  This I miss in my second generation games.  
    What was so 'hardcore' about Everquest? There were far more hardcore games at the time. Everquest was WOW back then. The mainstream mmorpg for a more casual mmorpg player, not the hardcore mmorpg player.
    That's cool people like it just as it is cool people like WOW after it, but EQ is NOT  nor ever was 'hardcore'  
    lol I think you're just trolling tio troll...EQ was hard...You died often...It was not easy to solo for most classes...You had to be very careful both traveling and when you were fighting not to get adds....To say it was WoW is ridiculous.
    svanndelete5230[Deleted User]mmolou

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    edited September 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• asteldiancaliskanasteldiancaliskan Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Lokero said:zee

What was so 'hardcore' about Everquest? There were far more hardcore games at the time. Everquest was WOW back then. The mainstream mmorpg for a more casual mmorpg player, not the hardcore mmorpg player.
    That's cool people like it just as it is cool people like WOW after it, but EQ is NOT  nor ever was 'hardcore'  
    What was kind of cool about EQ's difficulty is that it was as hardcore as the players chose to make it, in a lot of ways.

Yeah, the average group of players was probably playing as safe and WoW-level as they could, which was absolutely possible to do.  This is also why I hate harsh death penalties.  It makes people play it safe and casual(boring).

On the other hand, the game offered you the ability to truly push and challenge yourself and do all sorts of crazy things.
    Sure, most people sat in one spot pulling one or two monsters at a time for hours on end.  And, that type of play truly was boring and as casual as you could get.
    With the right people(or often even by yourself) though, you could really go crazy and take on half the world and push your limits.

The constantly challenging myself mentality is why I absolutely abhor level loss and major punishments for death.  I died so freaking much in EQ that it's not even funny.  I was always doing things I knew I shouldn't have been able to do on my own, etc.

The people who want to take risks will take them regardless of punishments, and the more casual types will cower in a corner and miss all the excitement and fun of the game because they are afraid of the penalties.

Ergo, the irony, that all severe punishment does is make the game more casual for the average player. 
    People like to espouse those brutal penalties as being conducive to creating some kind of tougher, more challenging environment in a game, but I've found the opposite to be true.  It simply makes people take the nice safe, well-tended road, rather than venture off the beaten path.
    Death penalty is always a divisive topic. For me it was why i liked taking risks - it brought a thrill to the gameplay. Doing crazy shit and thinking 'damn if we die we are screwed!' And the relief and satisfaction of surviving was a big deal.
    No death penalty means there are no risks to take - there cannot be a risk if failure has no consequence. Just go ahead and Leeroy Jenkins anything, if you fail it doesnt matter, if you succeed...well, cool, rinse and repeat. That makes the games bland for me - because ultimately i dont care about the outcome since worse case i dust myself off and try afain, best case i won...which doesnt really matter either since losing is not an issue.
    Neanderthal
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    edited September 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Amathe said:
    For me "feeling real" meant i was fully immersed. I wasn't just playing the ranger class. I was a ranger. The woods were woods. The orcs were orcs. Mysteries abounded and I was fascinated by whatever was around the next corner. In much the same way a flight simulator can make you feel like you are really flying, I felt like I was a fantasy character in a fantasy world.

A fair amount of that was because it was my first mmorpg. That part can never be recaptured.

But the game itself played a big role too. I can still listen to the in game music and it carries me back to my adventures then. 
    I have to agree with this. WoW came very close a few times, but never quite got there.

With EQ, the character and myself were interchangeable. The server was a community, and we all knew each other. There were entire families of people on there - both literally and figuratively, and I felt like I was a part of that.

The game in and of itself was just there as a backdrop - we sat around on the hill in Overthere or down in yet another LDON run or wherever, and what we did became instinctual because we did it over and over again, but we didn't do it because the gameplay was fascinating, we did it because we were together.

And that made the distinction between myself and my character blur considerably. I haven't played EQ in many years now, but I still will respond if someone says "gnome".
    Lokerodelete5230[Deleted User]

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• DagimirDagimir Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Dagimir said:
    This is ridiculous. How can you guys even form an opinion of everquest if you didn't play it in its heyday? The game had so many successful community building aspects to it that it promoted a healthy game environment in an mmo. It's success was how it forced people to interact in a positive manner to advance. In original everquest you could not solo. I cannot emphasize enough that the sheer difficulty of the game and not catering to the 'solo' player in an mmo is why it was a success.

Examples of positive community aspects:

Fast travel was only available through 2 classes. Druids and Wizards. Otherwise you would travel for what could literally be hours on foot with the chance of death and respawn at your bind point. This created taxi services and player interaction.

Trade and barter was nearly face to face. There was no market mechanic at all. People would literally shout in chat channels to come view their wares where they would show you backpacks full of loot and you could haggle with them in prices.  The players themselves on many servers set up a trade tunnel in a neutral area so all races could come and barter.

Fighting almost anything. If you were one of the weaker classes at the beginning of the game then a level 1 rat or a snake (that could kick) would kill your character. From the very start of the game to the end you were almost required to have a partner. This promoted the most heavily co-op and group centric mmorpg that I have ever experienced.

These are just a few of the many examples of what everquest got right that every single other mmorpg has failed at. Yeah it's not always convenient to find a partner but that's why there are things like tradeskills, bartering, and god forbid roleplaying at the dark elf tavern with the elf and troll strippers. (Look it up)
    I'm not sure you are remembering EQ correctly. Soloing was always done in the game.
    Asheron's Call and Ultima Online got more right than EQ did. EQ was the WOW of it's day. Nothing wrong with that but let's be honest about what it was and was not. 
    I actually remember it very well and if you read my post you would see that I didn't say there was absolutely no soloing. Yes soloing was done to a very minimal extent and it was not nearly as effective as a team. The early days of everquest didn't have nearly the same abilities or gear that came with the first expansion in Kunark. Your super rare items and gear for max level characters were literally replaced by low end gear with expansions. In today's everquest a level 10 has better gear than a level 50 had back then. The power jumps with each expansion from  gear inflation, skills, and spells made soloing a much more viable option.