Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ultima Online Celebrates Its 21st Birthday & Can Now Legally Buy a Beer! - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageUltima Online Celebrates Its 21st Birthday & Can Now Legally Buy a Beer! - MMORPG.com

If you were around in the early days of MMOs, you probably played Ultima Online. How well we remember the "scary music" when a PK would range near as we were innocently chopping wood to try to craft some type of weapon. Ah, the good old days! The Broadsword team took time out to thank players for their participation and "to those who have left their mark on [the] humble virtual world!"

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

ceratop001

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Has been such a great 21 years , ive enjoyed it all... UO still delivers great game play and more in game activities than any other game to date ..
    ceh430[Deleted User]Rivan12[Deleted User]itchmonConstantineMerusAeolynScotcalibek
  • bgzgamerbgzgamer Member UncommonPosts: 127
    I Love UO so much.

I grew up on 99' Everquest and never got to try UO until recently. I Absolutely love the depth in the game and the challenge to it. I wish more people could experience it.. or have the patience to experience it.

It is one of those things I like categorizing as the "Final fantasy 11 track" - Back in the day, the game was REALLY hard on release. Most people quit before level 30 because it was a grind and death/grouping was very difficult. However, those that stuck it out and were part of the community were very rewarded with end game content and amazing story and battles. I was the only one of my friends to stick it out.

Some games are like that... and immediately turn people away due to their learning curve or difficulty to getting started. I look for games like that... i dont know why, tbh.

Anyways.. cheers to UO.. hope you keep getting more and more content.
    [Deleted User]itchmon
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• strykr619strykr619 Member UncommonPosts: 284
    edited September 2018
    bgzgamer said:
    I Love UO so much.

I grew up on 99' Everquest and never got to try UO until recently. I Absolutely love the depth in the game and the challenge to it. I wish more people could experience it.. or have the patience to experience it.

It is one of those things I like categorizing as the "Final fantasy 11 track" - Back in the day, the game was REALLY hard on release. Most people quit before level 30 because it was a grind and death/grouping was very difficult. However, those that stuck it out and were part of the community were very rewarded with end game content and amazing story and battles. I was the only one of my friends to stick it out.

Some games are like that... and immediately turn people away due to their learning curve or difficulty to getting started. I look for games like that... i dont know why, tbh.

Anyways.. cheers to UO.. hope you keep getting more and more content.
    UO now is not the same game it was at its peak fyi meaning it is a shell of what it was. 
  • RandomCasualtyRandomCasualty Member UncommonPosts: 327
    Ah yes the PK chasing you into town with the rubber banding from hell from server lag or your dial up modem losing connection to your ISP. Only to find yourself slaughtered by a Guard for violence while you stand there as a ghost watching your sad excuse for gear being plucked off your rotting corpse by the peasants of Britannia. The memories are great, the 21 years older thing not so much
    SBFordNanbino
  • NanbinoNanbino Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Legal age 16 in France. Must have been a sucky game to wait all that time
    SBFord
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    I remember at release it was terrible. They had to change it cause the game was dying

I remember at release

*having a ton of fun*
    *guy comes along and kills me.*
    *I go get my body*
    *guy brings two friends*
    *they say derogatory, racist and homophobic words along with things they wanted to do to a little child*
    "Yup no wonder I avoid PvP games"
    *log off*
    *goes back to EQ1 (eq2 didnt exist at the time* and finds a much nicer community

And pvpers still haven't changed since then lol.

but then years later

*pvp becomes optional*
    *has a ton of fun*
    *still playing it*
    *community is amazing if avoid the pvp crowd that hasn't changed in 21 years*

Current subscription time is 14 months in. Though I play LOTRO as well.
    SBForditchmonFacelessSaviorbobbymcswansonAeolynSpectremuse[Deleted User]ManWithNoTan

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    with such classic qoutes suchs as "it was a war between me and the eagle, i won because the eagle can not use bandages" and "sorry mister mage but you died to your own creations, i am just going to maek sure your components go to a better home." i might have been more part of the problem than the solutions back then.

Was part of a RPPvP guild who guarded a crossroad close to a graveyard outside of Yew. Was kinda fun. But in time i drifted away. Game was fun and i have fond memories.

Not ever going back tho... It sits better in the past.
    [Deleted User]

This have been a good conversation

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    I wish i had played it back in the day, though i definitely dont regret my time in EQ (which is where i was during the early days of mmo). In my off hours i played AO and E&B.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• KeushpuppyKeushpuppy Member UncommonPosts: 171
    Never played it. My time in early gaming was Asherons Call. Still the best game made if you ask me.
    The Telescope in the 21 Year rewards is very cool not just a deco .. But an entire activity unique to each server ...

And yet another activity that UO Players can participate in ....

• Telescopes can be used to view constellations and other celestial objects.
    • Constellations can be charted using the Cartography Mapmaker’s Pen to create a star chart.
    • Constellations can be named via the star chart.
    • A star chart can be turned into Willebrord the Astronomer at the Moonglow Telescope Astronomer’s Tent.  Players that are the first to discover a constellation will have their discovery logged in the constellation ledger and be given a special title and recipe.  Constellation names must be unique when submitting them to Willebrord.
    • All constellations are shard unique.  There are 1,000 constellations to discover.
    • Visit the Astronomer’s tent at the Moonglow Telescope to learn more about the origins of Britannian Astronomy and how to use the telescope.
    • Origin, Baja, and Izumo Only – constellations, their associated coordinates, and the constellation ledger have been reset for WW release.  Players who submitted constellations will be able keep to the rewards they received

MadFrenchie
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Forget a beer. Johnnie Walker black on the rocks...

SBFord

• FacelessSaviorFacelessSavior Member UncommonPosts: 188
    edited September 2018
    Ah. I miss pre trammel UO. Lake Superior had one the greatest RP communities I've ever been a part of; The Trinsic Rebellion. Which later turned into a server wide rp troop. To my knowledge something of that scale has never been pulled off again. Heck, I don't even think any game made in the last decade even gives players the tools to do it. Ultima Online, as said several times already, was a true virtual world you could add meaning too, and have impact on. I wish games like that were still made. :/
  • bobbymcswansonbobbymcswanson Member UncommonPosts: 204
    Some of y'all salty because you suck at PvP.... y'all the reason MMOs suck now
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Some of y'all salty because you suck at PvP.... y'all the reason MMOs suck now
    Talk about being salty! ;)
    ScotitchmonSBFord
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,512
    Long live UO- Fuck SOTA!

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Good to see UO is still going strong, the idea of some sort of "Jaws" music as a PK'r comes near could still work today. :)
    Scorchien
  • RobWhiteRobWhite Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Thats quite impressive, i might say.
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    Still amazed that with so many hard core UO fans out there nobody has ever remade the game with updated graphics. Some games have taken aspects, others have paid homage, some have resembled it, but nothing has managed to replicated it....so weird.
    Still amazed that with so many hard core UO fans out there nobody has ever remade the game with updated graphics. Some games have taken aspects, others have paid homage, some have resembled it, but nothing has managed to replicated it....so weird.
     Arcfall is really doing a fine job of trying to build the spiritual successor to UO

Its down right now till Oct as they put in a massive update and new engine ..

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325

Scorchien said:

Has been such a great 21 years , ive enjoyed it all... UO still delivers great game play and more in game activities than any other game to date ..

More in game activities than other games to date?
    Can you please elaborate on that.