Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

D&D Why is this game still there?

xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
Yesterday, I downloaded this title onto my computer to take a look at my characters.  Last time I played was around 6 years ago.  I have a level 13 Paladin as my main and a level 6 monk.  Took me a minute to find which server I was on.  I was really excited to see my paladin in his killer gear and even a chant or two.  I could not wait to drop in on my server.

Upon logging into the server.  I logged into a  once thriving and bustling tavern.  Upon entry I noticed it was still thriving.  Except, only with NPC's. I was in shock! As this was a popular tavern 6 years ago. Now it is a empty tavern.  No players other than me.  So I told myself "(Wishfully)People must have moved to a different local".  Boy was I even in for more of a shock.  Everywhere I went in the main hub on this server was completely empty.  It seemed I was the only actual player playing on this entire server.  Not a single soul.  Talk about a disappointment.

It is not the first time I experienced a lack of people when it comes to a game. Many years ago I gave Horizonshttp://www.ign.com/articles/2004/01/08/horizons-empires-of-istaria-review a shot.  I was the only person that joined that game as well.  So, now knowing what Dungeons and Dragons has become.  Why is this title still around.  I know this game cannot be making any money.  Perhaps Turbine is soaking off of LOTRO's good population.  As well as Asheron Calls small but solid base.

Does anyone still play this?  This is a incredible disappointment for me.  I still have around 800 coins. Feels like a waste now. 

DEEPLY DISGRUNTLED!

Comments

• SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    edited April 2016
    They don't really shutdown/merge servers very often. There are still some pretty thriving servers out there though. I can't remember their names off the top my head either. 
    blamo2000
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    i dunno man i was just playin D&DO last month and my server was pretty busy ...maybe the server or bad timing .. Still a pretty dedicated group to this game that makes Warner Bros money...........Thats why its there
    blamo2000
  • Moguy3Moguy3 Member UncommonPosts: 70
    There are tons of people still playing that game. Swap servers. Get out of the low area ? 

blamo2000
  • Tom_KalbfusTom_Kalbfus Member CommonPosts: 1
    I wonder if the Movie Ready Player One has affecting things. I read the book as well, the two tell different stories. From reading the book, it seems that game used mechanics similar to D&D, so I figure many of those movie watchers might come to Dungeons & Dragons online to try it out. Have you notices anything?
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Well, as for why game is still here on MMORPG.com...

Some people here say MMORPGs need to have the right definition or some say MMOs should only be the focus of MMORPG.com

DDO is in fact not an MMO according to some. Tiny instances, a hub based gameplay (like Destiny, Path of Exile etc) and no MMO. So according to some people on here, DDO should not be allowed on here or not be called an MMO at all.

My thoughts is the majority of fans of DDO (and other games) don't care what its called or defined as, so its allowed on MMORPG.com

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• ShrijssShrijss Member UncommonPosts: 5
    I still play the game, and I <3 it. I am a bit sad when I log in and see empty spaces in off hours, but there are times for crowds that are different for each server (except Wayfinder).
    blamo2000
    Zombie walks are fun. :)
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    edited September 2018
    Played DDO for a long long time but it is indeed getting long in the tooth and they have indeed made some stupid move mechnics wise but the thing is what else you gonna play... Nevercrap Online?
    YashaX

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Scorchien said:
    i dunno man i was just playin D&DO last month and my server was pretty busy ...maybe the server or bad timing .. Still a pretty dedicated group to this game that makes Warner Bros money...........Thats why its there
    Yes that will be why.

Its no longer WarnerBros. though it is SSG now and whilst SSG were set up by WarnerBros they are 100% independent. WarnerBros cut the cord so to speak and the games no longer have WarnerBros to fall back on if things go wrong.

Which re-enforces your point!
    xpowderx said:
    <snip> So, now knowing what Dungeons and Dragons has become.  Why is this title still around.  I know this game cannot be making any money.  Perhaps Turbine is soaking off of LOTRO's good population.  As well as Asheron Calls small but solid base.

Does anyone still play this?  This is a incredible disappointment for me.  I still have around 800 coins. Feels like a waste now. 
    <snip>
    As said above it is because it must still be viable.

Unlike Asheron's Call which closed at the start of 2017.

As for your coins however you could if you wish try LotR and if you decide to give it a try I am pretty sure you can use the coins on LotR.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I downloaded it a couple of months ago and I guess it isn't f2p anymore? They wanted payment so I just deleted it....Was never a great game anyway.
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    I downloaded it a couple of months ago and I guess it isn't f2p anymore? They wanted payment so I just deleted it....Was never a great game anyway.

its is a f2p and its not, its f2p to you log in, but save for that you need to spend money to unlock adventures and buy the expacs so you can play it, right now barovia with his lvl 30 cap is where most people stay, I still play it just because i'm a sucker for D&D and since neverwinter is not a D&D this one keep me going
    blamo2000
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    Never have all the quests been F2p, so if you saw some that required payment you either buy that pack or move on.   DDO has quite a number of free dungeons to run, especially in the lower levels.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited September 2018
    Yep, DDO was the first to switch in the west and it has an older, "a la carte" style of f2p model, you can play it for a while for free, and then you can buy piece by piece the parts you like.
    gervaise1 said:
    [...]
    As for your coins however you could if you wish try LotR and if you decide to give it a try I am pretty sure you can use the coins on LotR.
    I'm mostly certain (never tried it since years) that their systems are separated, and you can't transfer store currency between the two.
    Po_gg said:
    <snip>
    gervaise1 said:
    [...]
    I'm mostly certain (never tried it since years) that their systems are separated, and you can't transfer store currency between the two.
    Could be - I haven't tried either. A newcomer to LotR that I was helping out told me they had done so is all. Now I think that was post SSG but I'm not sure. And like you I can't say.  
    When they went the SSG way and with DBG many asked that maybe they could take over DBG's All-Access feature and link LotRO's and DDO's subscription, and they said it is not in the plans. Too bad, since not many players play both, so with a minimal loss they could get a lot of potential players for both game... maybe it was due to the numerous LotRO lifers, they didn't want to give them DDO as well.
    Mendel
  • KeushpuppyKeushpuppy Member UncommonPosts: 171
    wow you played Horizons.. One of the few that did. that game had the best crafting / mraketing of any game made.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    The game did somethings right and somethings wrong, like all MMOs...But DDO Never was my cup, due to the wackado setting but then again the D&D tabletop game pretty much is dead to me, after the buyout from TSR by "Social Justice warriors of the coast" I play GURPS fantasy, with Gygax's original Greyhawk setting.

But, most computer games that have the WoTC seal of approval is shit or close to shit...DDO actually is the least offensive.

what really killed here was the oberon settings, everyone hopped and wanted forgotten realms, then they did put some forgotten realms on it but i was kinda late for most.

I really don't know the last rule set they put, last I saw was the 4th edition and they really fucked that up, 3.5 is okish, I liked more the AD&D rules, at least there each stat was worth something
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    The game did somethings right and somethings wrong, like all MMOs...But DDO Never was my cup, due to the wackado setting but then again the D&D tabletop game pretty much is dead to me, after the buyout from TSR by "Social Justice warriors of the coast" I play GURPS fantasy, with Gygax's original Greyhawk setting.

But, most computer games that have the WoTC seal of approval is shit or close to shit...DDO actually is the least offensive.

what really killed here was the oberon settings, everyone hopped and wanted forgotten realms, then they did put some forgotten realms on it but i was kinda late for most.

I feel like this point can't be stressed strongly enough.
    WoTC really didn't get their fanbase.  Well, more importantly, they didn't care.  Their goal was to push that Oberon(I don't think that's what it's called, is it?) setting down the players' throats.

They could have taken just about any other of their world settings and been more successful than with that new one.  But, they wanted to try and force people to buy books/accessories for that new setting, at the cost of their own success.

Why would you take the least interesting property and go all in on that?  That's just terrible business.
    Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, Ravenloft, Greyhawk, Dark Sun, etc., all would have had more appeal to their fans.

I never could understand why they were too clueless to genuinely capitalize on their beloved IPs.  You have a huge following of fans of those settings, and the opportunity to reach thousands of them at once.  So, what do you do?  The obvious choice, of course: Give them something they don't care about.

Well, I guess I should give credit for them eventually, sort-of-trying with Neverwinter years later when they had already wasted their biggest chance.
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Oberon as the base made it better mechanically in my option - because of Oberon we have Warforged and the myriad of awesome build possibilities they represent, as well as dragonmarks, etc.

The game currently has both Forgotten Realms and Ravenloft settings as well, so its not like you don't have tons of content outside of Oberon.  FR is like 25% of the game, if not more.

Them adding other settings was so popular, the ultra-craptastic Neverwinter Online followed suite and copied them.

But as for why DDO is still number 1 in my book - no other mmo even comes close to character building possibilities.  In this regard DDO is in a league of its own.  Am I a huge fan of everything it has and does mechanics or systems wise?  No, not at all.  But the chardev is so good it makes the rest of it acceptable.

I play on (I think) Kyber server.  I'm not good at remembering server names so I could be way off.  Kyber pops into my head though.  I know my server is very populated.  Too much for my taste.  
    Asm0deus
    Lokero said:

I feel like this point can't be stressed strongly enough.
    WoTC really didn't get their fanbase.  Well, more importantly, they didn't care.  Their goal was to push that Oberon(I don't think that's what it's called, is it?) setting down the players' throats.

They could have taken just about any other of their world settings and been more successful than with that new one.  But, they wanted to try and force people to buy books/accessories for that new setting, at the cost of their own success.

Why would you take the least interesting property and go all in on that?  That's just terrible business.
    Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, Ravenloft, Greyhawk, Dark Sun, etc., all would have had more appeal to their fans.

I never could understand why they were too clueless to genuinely capitalize on their beloved IPs.  You have a huge following of fans of those settings, and the opportunity to reach thousands of them at once.  So, what do you do?  The obvious choice, of course: Give them something they don't care about.

Well, I guess I should give credit for them eventually, sort-of-trying with Neverwinter years later when they had already wasted their biggest chance.
    true the settings is eberron lol, that is how much we care about it :p
    Lokero
    Lokero said:

You are overthinking it - or (from the other way around) give them too much credit. It was more straightforward, simply that was the new shiny...
    Around 2005 Eberron and the 3.5 ruleset (Oberon is different :wink: ), hence the currently in-development game, DDO, used that.
    Towards the end of the decade Neverwinter and 4.0, so Cryptic was tasked to use that for their game.

It never was in their minds what is popular, at least not while the development phase. A few years later they got smarter in that area, that's why updates like Temple of Elemental Evil, or last time Ravenloft for example, arrived into both games at the same time.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Po_gg said:
    When they went the SSG way and with DBG many asked that maybe they could take over DBG's All-Access feature and link LotRO's and DDO's subscription, and they said it is not in the plans. Too bad, since not many players play both, so with a minimal loss they could get a lot of potential players for both game... maybe it was due to the numerous LotRO lifers, they didn't want to give them DDO as well.
    I think that LotRO lifetime subscription deal has bitten SSG long enough.  I really think they need to bite the bullet and come to a reasonable termination of that deal.  It was a bad idea at the time, and has cost Turbine and now SSG much needed revenue that the one-time price simply didn't accommodate.  I would suggest starting with the idea that the lifetime subscription be converted to an annual subscription with an extremely deep discount, say $60 a year (as opposed to $120 per year).  That would generate some revenue at least.

LotRO and DDO both need paying customers.  It may be time that SSG has to look outside the box that Turbine left them.

blamo2000

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Simply put, it's unique. It's the closest thing to pen and paper rpgs. 
    blamo2000YashaX
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Mendel said:
    Po_gg said:
    I think that LotRO lifetime subscription deal has bitten SSG long enough.  I really think they need to bite the bullet and come to a reasonable termination of that deal.  It was a bad idea at the time, and has cost Turbine and now SSG much needed revenue that the one-time price simply didn't accommodate.  I would suggest starting with the idea that the lifetime subscription be converted to an annual subscription with an extremely deep discount, say $60 a year (as opposed to $120 per year).  That would generate some revenue at least.

LotRO and DDO both need paying customers.  It may be time that SSG has to look outside the box that Turbine left them.

I think you are overthinking, better to keep these, who I doubt are a lot, playing and happy then start a bad PR move on put nails in a coffin
    blamo2000