Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are the top 5 most iconic things you remember in classic WoW that was removed/changed?

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
edited September 2018 in World of Warcraft
As title says...top 5 most iconic things that were in classic WoW that is no longer part of the game

For me...in no particular order

1. Class Quests (warlock, shamans, paladins...all 3 were ones I played and had epic class quests associated with them. Not sure about other classes since those three were only ones I played)

2. Leveling up skills (you'd actually level up sword skill the more you used sword. You could level up unarmed before monk was even a thing. Switch weapon types? Time to switch to weaker mobs to train to get better with that weapon type)

3. Hunters needed to feed their pet, had actual ammo and often had a separate ammo container and felt far more like an actual hunter needing to maintain their supplies.

4. Well this is obvious one. But talent trees that were truly massive. Sure some say there was an optimal path to follow...but...thats still true today but with even less choice. Its true for any game that there will always be an optimal path to follow. But classic WoW truly had choices and I often had tons more fun with "bad" talents than the ones people "expected" you to have

5. Class trainers had more purpose. You had to learn all your spells and abilities from trainers. often times,e specially at low levels...you'd need to either go every 1-2 levels to a trainer or just save up levels and buy everything at once

And I gotta add a 6th...so I broke my own top 5 rule :P But its a bonus one since it isn't too big of a thing and its not really iconic either. 

6. Money was the hardest thing to make ever. Today gold is dead easy to make...make millions. But this goes back to #5...often times I had no money to actually BUY spells/abilities lol. And had no money to buy armor or anything else, even the junk ones off merchants lol. Even when I got to the level I could use a mount (which was higher level requirement than now), 99% of the time was too poor for it

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

ScotPhry

Comments

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    The original open world pre Cataclysm and slower leveling speeds so you could enjoy them all.

[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    When crafting meant something
    Phry
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    The loot bug!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    KyleranScot
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Ninja looting. Ah good old times...
    Keller
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623
    1. clams did not stack in bags
    2. gold mattered
    3. down time between fights
    4. consumable stacking
    5. hard counters in pvp

Kyleran
  • JakobmillerJakobmiller Member RarePosts: 674
    1. No Dungeon Finder. I miss the time you actually made friends in games.
    2. The time when Resilience wasn't a thing. I mainly played TBC, which was when resilience was introduced, but it didn't affect the PvP as much as it did later on.
    3. More difficult to progress. I played frost mage and was level 53 when TBC started. Killing mobs was actually pretty hard and it was a challenge killing a few at a time.
    4. AV PvP. Was great fun.
    5. Not the enormous amount of daily quests the game got plagued with. I'm no fan.
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    Pvp in bootys bay, not sure if they changed that, but it was popular at one point.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• ZiebaaZiebaa Member UncommonPosts: 19
    1 shot pyroblast
  • necrolocknecrolock Member UncommonPosts: 48
    edited September 2018
    The only artisan enchanting trainer was inside the dungeon Uldaman.
    KellerKyleran
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    where to start and where to begin really... I am not a retail player anymore (ever since Cata, including), but off of the top of my head:

1. Class quests - pity Blizzard didn't work more on them before ditching them altogether ( I mean they did introduce tier 0.5 armor which was great, but they forgot to rework the weapon you got at around lvl 50).
    2. Itemization, with Str on caster gear and Spirit on melee gear
    3. Race-locked classes; Paladin and Shaman
    4. Universal gear, both for PvE and PvP. You had to make a choice on how you were going to acquire it, either through raiding or through Battlegrounds
    5. Did I mention class quests?
  • jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    Worth playing.
  • KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    • Class Quests
    • Utility Skills for Dungeons and Raids; Sap, Sheep, Mind Control, Shackle, Tranq Shot, Fear Ward, each class added something special to the group.
    • 40 Man raids; basicly bring whatever class you want
    • No Achievements; re-using dungeons for extra content is lazy. If it's fun to do, we did it in Vanilla. Don't need an achievement for killing Onyxia with only shadowpriests. (I admit achievements help in tracking questchains and dungeon unlocks)
    • Choice mattered; respeccing was expensive, crafting specialization

PS: I do like a lot of the changes or understand why things have changed added. Dungeon Finder for example. Worldquests are a thing I like. When lucky you meet interesting people while being in the open world. Beats grinding the same mobs or dungeons over and over for money.
  • theocculttheoccult Member UncommonPosts: 51
    • Hunter pets' happiness, loyalty and attack speed
    • Weapon masters, training and skill, as well as weapon switching
    • Resistance gear
    • Class quests
    • Numerous classic armor piece visuals were changed/toned down