Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For anyone looking to join Project 1999, but do not have the disks

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I've noticed my local salvation army store has a used gaming disk section.  Perhaps some EQ disks are there also.  I can never bring myself to get rid of my old disks so I still have a quit a few.
    Thrift stores that carry used PC games sometimes have really cool things. I've seen EQ in my local thrift store before but it was never a collection, usually one expansion. 
  • bhugbhug Member UncommonPosts: 944
    edited September 2018
    From a previous EQ titanium d/l (Everquest_Titanium_CD1.ccd [created a DIF Disk Image File 819610KB], _CD2 [821590KB], _CD3 [821590KB], _CD4 [821590KB], _CD5 [752891KB]). That download created these large KB DIF and a _CD1.sub type for each of the five CD.

What do you do next to install the EQ1 from these five expanded DIF indo a designated EQ1 folder
    Presume one must goto the p1999 site to do some kind of adjustment to the patcher,
    but so far can not get past these DIF into an actual installed game.

btw how big should the EQ titanium install be in MB, before  and after the p1999 patch process?

I think my basic EQ folder was/is 3.84GB

In your drive.google.com link i can d/l the first three CD1 to 3 but CD4 or CD5 will not d/l nor will 'download all' work.

edit
    found the CD4 and CD5 d/l (DownLoad) popups way over on the lower right corner of the other monitor. Also the two 'download all' popups ( 1.98GB and 1.36GB files) they contined three and two of the five iso CD files, were also way over in the lower rt corner of the other moniter/display.
    Mouse clicking the single file (EQ_TITANIUM_CD1 - Copy) inside the folder brought up a Windows Disc Image Burner popup, trying to use a -R cd caused a burn error message 0xC0AA0007.
    Trying a +Rcd so far is making it through the burn process. 

[url=http://wiki.project1999.com/Everquest_Titanium_Installation_Guide ] EQ Titanium Installation Guide[/url]
    [url=https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2651 ] Project 1999 guidebook [/url] so the new installed EQ Titaniumn patches to the p99 server and not the SOE server.
    You will aolso need  to setup a free EQ Emulator account and related Login Server account

btw does Smeadly own all the rights to old EQ, or did they go back to McQuaid?
    SOE still seems to be still making money off their EQ1 progression servers.
    Anything that brings interest back to EQ will serve SOE's commercial interest.

Post edited by bhug on

• LazyDazedLazyDazed Member UncommonPosts: 166
    Why would they waste their resources on distributing software they no longer support or charge for?  I am all for legitimacy but in this regard, I see the distribution of this software as being ok as the only people selling the game are doing so outside of the original EULA anyways if the serial code has been perviously applied to an account.
    Talonsin said:
    DMKano said:
    OP - you are not realizing that the link you provided is actually piracy.

Project 99 was ok'd by SOE and now Daybreak to host the *servers* - they were NEVER given the right to distribute the client.

It even says so on their site - everyone has to obtain the client themselves - legally - as in purchasing the Everquest Titanium edition - as that's the only one that will work.

That is the legal way to play P99.

If it were OK to freely distribute the client - P99 site would have the client download there - but they can't as that is not what the agreement is.

So free client downloads of EQ Titanium edition are actually considered illegal distribution/piracy.
    I'll bet you are a riot at parties.  :)
    lol, do you see his post count, he doesn't get invited to any parties.
    MadCoderOne
    Why try and shut down the influx of what could be a positive experience for players under your perspective of piracy? The game is no longer being supported or distributed by the original developer and only being sold 3rd party and in many cases illegitimately due to the serial number being used, it isn't piracy only your perception of it. I think it is great someone is distributing a gaming experience that could be great for many people that may other NEVER be able to access it because of the limitations of software due to THE DEWVELOPER DEVELOPER NO LONGER SUPPORTING OR SELLING THE SOFTWARE. Let's call a spade a spade - the software is not readily available and this is a great way to get a great gaming experience out there for new and old. illigitamately 
    Let something good happen, no lawyer is going to be on a doorstep over the use of this software. Sit back and let people enjoy life.
    Kano would be rolling over in his grave if he knew his name was being represented by a nancy.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    This was the same issue back when I was playing on SWGEMU. The client was not legally distributed buy the EMU hosts.
    [Deleted User]
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• BrunlinBrunlin Member UncommonPosts: 79
    edited December 2018
    If we buy the build from a third party site, we are either buying unused keys or pirated keys, either way these key have been paid for and profited by the developer ages ago. Any transactions at this point would not result any profit to the current developer DBG. Not to mention, that most people needing this particular build have probably bought the game multiple times. I myself have purchased Everquest about 20 times since its release back in 1999, including expansions. I am also against piracy but when something like this falls into a grey area, i think we can chill out a bit on the call for piracy.

If at first you don’t succeed, call it version 1.0

• mmoloummolou Member UncommonPosts: 256
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:
    Fearsyn said:
    These files have been downloaded and used by over 300 people. Not a single one has had an issue with the integrity or security. No one is asking you to download it. If you don't feel safe, then by all means, do not download. But as you can see, there are people here who have downloaded it and are not having any issues, like myself.

Stealing should always be a big issue.

Its pretty amazing to me how some here are completely ok with piracy

This version of the game is no longer supported and has been given the Green Light by Daybreak to share this version. There is no theft here. Please do not spread false information.

This is wrong sir.

The client is not free - Daybreak gave the green light to have the servers running, but the client is NOT FREE to distribute.

If the client was free - why doesnt Project 99 have client download on their site?

Hmm?

Might want to get your info straight before calling me out on false information 

Here let me help you:

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2651

"2) Getting Started - Play Guide

In order to play on Project 1999 you must obtain a copy of Everquest: Titanium Edition. Only a clean Titanium install will work. You must acquire this on your own as we cannot distribute it, however there are many places to accomplish this. You do not need a valid CD Key."
    Did you miss the sentence that states YOU DO NOT NEED A VALID CD KEY.

If it is not ok to share the client, you would need a valid cd key.
    TheScavenger
    It is a funny world we live in.
    We had Empires run by Emperors, we had Kingdoms run by Kings, now we have Countries...
  • Scott23Scott23 Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Brunlin said:
    If we buy the build from a third party site, we are either buying unused keys or pirated keys, either way these key have been paid for and profited by the developer ages ago. Any transactions at this point would not result any profit to the current developer DBG. Not to mention, that most people needing this particular build have probably bought the game multiple times. I myself have purchased Everquest about 20 times since its release back in 1999, including expansions. I am also against piracy but when something like this falls into a grey area, i think we can chill out a bit on the call for piracy.
    Actually it isn't a grey area.  It doesn't matter if the company that owns the IP gets anything for it.  Until they green-light distribution it is not legal.  You can rationalize it all you want. 

It is like speeding in a car.  Just because you want to go 10 over the speed limit on a deserted road doesn't mean that it is magically ok to do so - it is still an infraction even if you don't get caught.

I think a case could be made for replacing the software if you had originally purchased the game, but no longer had the disks - that would be the only grey area in my layman's opinion :)
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I've noticed my local salvation army store has a used gaming disk section.  Perhaps some EQ disks are there also.  I can never bring myself to get rid of my old disks so I still have a quit a few.
    Thrift stores that carry used PC games sometimes have really cool things. I've seen EQ in my local thrift store before but it was never a collection, usually one expansion. 
    I recently found the original Prima guides to DAoC and its expansion, Shrouded Isles.  Those are the kind of really cool relics of a bygone PC gaming age you can sometimes find at thrift stores.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited January 2019
    Scott23 said:
    Brunlin said:
    Actually it isn't a grey area.  It doesn't matter if the company that owns the IP gets anything for it.  Until they green-light distribution it is not legal.  You can rationalize it all you want. 

It is like speeding in a car.  Just because you want to go 10 over the speed limit on a deserted road doesn't mean that it is magically ok to do so - it is still an infraction even if you don't get caught.

I think a case could be made for replacing the software if you had originally purchased the game, but no longer had the disks - that would be the only grey area in my layman's opinion :)
    That's because these software developers have couched into law special rules for themselves.

Ford wouldn't be able to claim any wrongdoing if someone started profiting off of their cars.  People do it every day.  So long as you aren't try to recreate their trademarked logos or such, you should be okay in the eyes of the law (and even there, there are grey areas; does someone who carves a Ford logo into a wooden bench they created need to pay Ford if they sell it to a buddy after?)

Nobody at the supermarket is going to ban you if they see you sell part of your haul to another shopper.  Only way you catch any flack from a grocery store is if you start trying to sell in their parking lot or something similar.

Obviously, due to the nature of software, protections for producers for actively supported games are needed.  However, the nature of MMORPGs introduces a conundrum current laws do not adequately account for: when a company so substantially alters a product as to make it an objectively unique experience from the previous version or original release.  At that point, you're basically telling the consumer that they can buy a program and have the producer completely overhaul the program into something very essentially different, removing the consumer's access to the actual program they paid for.
    craftseeker

• wymanwyman Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    edited April 2019
    Thanks for putting these up. I had all this installed on my last comp almost 3 years ago now but when it died I lost all the info and it has taken me this long to get a comp put together again. Is there anyone who could help me get my login info back? I'm an old man here and the old grey matter just ain't what it used to be. 
      Thanks in advance.
     Umm nevermind the play nice rules just told me that boxing is absolutely forbidden. That used to be the fun part and i don't want to play if i can't box.
    Post edited by wyman on
  • qendiilqendiil Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Thank You SO MUCH, ColossalGyro! /cheer :)

Qendiil - 70th Paladin of Tunare - 7th Hammer

• BERBWIRE_ORDERBERBWIRE_ORDER Member CommonPosts: 1
    I never usually get involved in forums.  After seeing this thread though I decided that I had to comment.

Interestingly I came across a real copy of Everquest Titanium a few years ago.  I'm from a very small town and it happened to be at our consignment shop.  It was only a few dollars and I was aware of Project1999 and the value of the Titanium edition.  I later turned it over for a major profit on Ebay.

I can say that my AV also found a virus in the same file that some of you are finding it in.  It seems to be just a false positive with that particular AV.  I forget which one I was using at the time.  Everyone was having the same problem at the time.  I can't say that this guy's files are clean, but I can say that mine found a problem with the same file.

I also wanted to personally thank DMKano for his service.  His lack of understanding of the law and fear mongering made me a lot of money.  It's people like him that make others feel bad about sharing old games.  That then compels them to pay stupidly unreasonable prices to people like me.  Daybreak didn't make a penny from my sale, and they won't lose a penny from everyone here downloading the game from this guy for free.

This has nothing to do with piracy.  Daybreak made it clear that they are ok with Project1999.  They still obviously want to control their IP though.  Giving a fan project like this the right to distribute their IP makes controlling it much harder.  They want to be able to change their minds about Project1999 in the future if their IP gains value.  There is no reason to call it stealing until Daybreak starts selling their own Everquest classic and shuts down Project1999 and all other fan projects using their IP.

DMKano was surprised that so many people are ok with this.  Hopefully this explains why.  Really it's silly to be upset with these things.  Your neighbor said it's ok for others to use his hose.  He just wants it back when he needs it.  You are using it with him watching and he seems completely ok with it.  Yet your other neighbor keeps accusing you of stealing it.  That is why people are annoyed with you DMKano.  If Daybreak thinks it's stealing let them call the police.  No one likes someone that gets involved in things that don't concern them.  If you don't want to download it then fine, but you are only spreading false ideas.  You are not helping anyone.  The things you say only make people unhappy or annoyed.

Anyway, Project1999 is amazing and could always use more support.  Don't let things like this probably fake virus or self proclaimed forum lawyers keep you away.  I have dreamed of a revived Red99 for years and this stuff doesn't help my dream.  That is why I needed to say this.  Now I'm heading back into obscurity.  Hopefully my first and probably last forum post here can make classic Everquest better even in a small way.
  • Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Well if his google drive gets "impounded" sometime in the future we may then see that Daybreak does care and is asserting their legal rights to the IP in question.
  • salimoneussalimoneus Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    <snip>
    Below is the link to my EverQuest Titanium disks that are in .ISO format that I am willingly sharing with the public, which DayBreak games has given consent to P99 admins to run on the server.
    <snip>

Just to be clear, that is not correct.  P99 is not running the client software on the server.  P99 created their own server, likely based off some other open source project that reverse engineered the original Sony Everquest server by analyzing the packets of data sent between client and server.

Daybreak merely said they will turn a blind eye towards the project.  Not that there's really much they could do anyway I don't think.  Frankly it's just not worth anyone's trouble chasing down technology IP that is 20+ years old and involves only a few thousand players.  And it's not like most of those players don't continue to purchase new releases and support the gaming industry, no doubt most of them do.  So they would essentially be going after their own customers in the process.

Anyways, it's always good to have multiple options on where to find long retired software packages.  Hopefully they keep your drive up and running as it remains a good option for those not into torrenting and such.

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    This thread should be shut down. P99 has permission to run the server but not permission for users to pirate software. This is piracy.
    ColossalGyro
  • ColossalGyroColossalGyro Member UncommonPosts: 11
    edited October 2019
    Can’t pirate software that is already free to download and play.
    Post edited by ColossalGyro on
    By the way everyone, a new server launched called P99 Green. Fresh start. Tons of players. 
  • killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445
    thanks so much ! been out of gaming for a bit, but wanted to play again!b :?)
    ColossalGyro

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

Utinni said:
    This thread should be shut down. P99 has permission to run the server but not permission for users to pirate software. This is piracy.
    Sooooo salty arent you?