Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com : General : Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Character Creation Trailer

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2018 in Videos Discussion

imageMMORPG.com : General : Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Character Creation Trailer

MMORPG.com reviews MMORPG and MMO games. We also provide news and exclusive coverage of the MMO gaming space. Our free MMO games list and discussion forums are the best site for gamers in search of a gaming community.

Read the full story here

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    DMKano said:
    Already 10 times better than Bards Tale 4 - InExile - seriously wtf were you guys thinking when you decided to eliminate character creation and force everyone with a preset party??? RPG character creation is one of the crucial parts for many players - glad to see Pathfinder didn't F that up
    I couldn't agree more. I play cRPGs to both make my own character and to form my own party to play the way I like to play. 
    MendelAlbatroeswingoodgastovski1YashaX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    On the wishlist and waiting for a sale.  Halloween?  Christmas?  Soon, it seems.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• ZajjarZajjar Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Whats the difference on this and pillars of eternity 2
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited September 2018
    Must...resist....hyping....that line will get anyone though I think "cause that's how I wanted to play."
  • calibekcalibek Member UncommonPosts: 300
    Ok what the hell!?

Don't these people know I have too many games to play and NOW they have to go make a good looking game like this?!

May as well throw THIS one onto the pile of things I need to play. Just when I thought my backlog of games that need to be played was shrinking. Sometimes it SUCKS to be an adult...
    wingood

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Zajjar said:
    The only similarity is that both are isometric party based cRPGs inspired by the old D&D cRPGs (Baldur's Gate1/2, Icewind Dale, Temple of Elemental Evil, NWN1/2).

Kingmaker is from a different studio (the Russian Owlcats), use a different ruleset and setting (Pathfinder) and Kingmaker is full 3d instead of using 2d backgrounds.

For people who don't know, the Pathfinder pnp ruleset is very similar to D&D 3.5e (it's based on the d20 open license) and the game story is based on the Pathfinder Adventure Path called Kingmaker.
    Zajjar
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    azarhal said:
    Zajjar said:
    The only similarity is that both are isometric party based cRPGs inspired by the old D&D cRPGs (Baldur's Gate1/2, Icewind Dale, Temple of Elemental Evil, NWN1/2).

Kingmaker is from a different studio (the Russian Owlcats), use a different ruleset and setting (Pathfinder) and Kingmaker is full 3d instead of using 2d backgrounds.

For people who don't know, the Pathfinder pnp ruleset is very similar to D&D 3.5e (it's based on the d20 open license) and the game story is based on the Pathfinder Adventure Path called Kingmaker.
    Yea, graphically it seems more akin to Divinity than Pillars.

• SephrusSephrus Member UncommonPosts: 76
    It's a shame it's not multi player
    DavodtheTutt
  • DrakolusDrakolus Member UncommonPosts: 134
    This is one of the few games I actually stopped watching the pre-release stuff on. I figured pretty early on that I was going to play the heck out of this so I didn't want to ruin the story/action/discovery. I'm stoked for this one and can't wait to pick it up day one.
  • MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780

DMKano said:

Already 10 times better than Bards Tale 4 - InExile - seriously wtf were you guys thinking when you decided to eliminate character creation and force everyone with a preset party???

RPG character creation is one of the crucial parts for many players - glad to see Pathfinder didn't F that up

You are actually wrong. in BT4 you start with a single pre-made character but its only after about 10 mins you can get rid of her and create you own custom class. Then as you play further you will pick up more pre-made companions as well as mercenary tokens to create you own custom party if you want.

Pathfinder does a similar thing except that you start out start away with a custom character before finding companions to fill out your party and then later on being able to hire custom mercenaries.

Pathfinder may have a lot more depth but they both allow you to create you own parties if you want.
    Tokken[Deleted User]YashaX
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Torval said:
    DMKano said:
    Already 10 times better than Bards Tale 4 - InExile - seriously wtf were you guys thinking when you decided to eliminate character creation and force everyone with a preset party??? RPG character creation is one of the crucial parts for many players - glad to see Pathfinder didn't F that up
    Dude, you can make your own character in Bard's Tale 4. Why do you keep saying that? There is an intro narrative and when you get to the guild hall (about 5 minutes in) you're asked whether you want to keep playing the pregenerated bard or create your own of any class or race.

You really like to pump up the insiders you rub shoulders with and put down your competition. It's pretty tawdry.
    Nice use of tawdry there.  If we're playing Scrabble, your W landed on double points!
    [Deleted User]YashaX

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• bgzgamerbgzgamer Member UncommonPosts: 127
    edited September 2018
    Was about to buy Bards Tale.... still on the fence...
    Tokken

Torval said:

I have this preordered. I am really looking forward to it. They seem to have a really good game on their hands.

I'd like to hear what you think. I've been following it on Steam and I like what I've seen so far. The one thing that throws up big warning flags is that it will be a stat stacker like Pillars with very limited party build options.

It's great complex systems offer a lot of options. I think they're lame when all that complexity boils down to a couple build options for a successful combat party.

Pillars really fell flat for me when dialog options became predictably linked to stats and only your main character counted for dialog checks. It made most of the dialog actions in the game "same-ish". I like how Divinity:OS/2 handles party to NPC dialogs.

The coolest thing I heard in the video is at 1:30 he highlights the game will offer a wide diversity in party builds and ways you want defeat encounters. I like that a lot. Individually I've liked the reveals and updates they've been publishing to Steam. I just hope that translates well when it's all put together.

Torment and the Pillars series both disappointed me to an extent but I had fun moments. D:OS is well done despite some combat flaws.

Funny you mention Divinity: Original Sin as it is on sale on Steam for 75% off and is down to $9.99. Was considering picking it up as I have heard great things about it.
    [Deleted User]

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

calibek said:

Torval said:

I have this preordered. I am really looking forward to it. They seem to have a really good game on their hands.

I'd like to hear what you think. I've been following it on Steam and I like what I've seen so far. The one thing that throws up big warning flags is that it will be a stat stacker like Pillars with very limited party build options.

It's great complex systems offer a lot of options. I think they're lame when all that complexity boils down to a couple build options for a successful combat party.

Pillars really fell flat for me when dialog options became predictably linked to stats and only your main character counted for dialog checks. It made most of the dialog actions in the game "same-ish". I like how Divinity:OS/2 handles party to NPC dialogs.

The coolest thing I heard in the video is at 1:30 he highlights the game will offer a wide diversity in party builds and ways you want defeat encounters. I like that a lot. Individually I've liked the reveals and updates they've been publishing to Steam. I just hope that translates well when it's all put together.

Torment and the Pillars series both disappointed me to an extent but I had fun moments. D:OS is well done despite some combat flaws.

Funny you mention Divinity: Original Sin as it is on sale on Steam for 75% off and is down to $9.99. Was considering picking it up as I have heard great things about it.

Well worth $10 USD for sure. More so for the co-op 

I'd never even touch the co-op in all honesty.
    YashaX

• DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    I like the "play your way" idea, but my way includes an immersive fully 3D world with the ability to go smoothly from 1st-person to over-the-shoulder, and easily yet naturally teaming up with other players who have unique characters and distinctive roles in PvE team-ups. Doing things besides combat that aren't just rote time-wasters would be good, too.

Hmm, is there a game like that currently running?
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130

DMKano said:

SBFord said:

DMKano said:

Already 10 times better than Bards Tale 4 - InExile - seriously wtf were you guys thinking when you decided to eliminate character creation and force everyone with a preset party???

RPG character creation is one of the crucial parts for many players - glad to see Pathfinder didn't F that up

I couldn't agree more. I play cRPGs to both make my own character and to form my own party to play the way I like to play. 

Ditto.  The magic of making your own party - that's  the hook I need to fall in love with a RPG and start playing.

Throwing a preset party at me - emm.. big NOPE

The only reason why I am still trudging through the mess that is BT4 is out of respect of Brian Fargo - but lets get real, it's a cluster fudge

But seriously excited for Pathfinder Kingmaker - I am not expecting perfection - heck at this point "just a decent RPG" would be more than enough for me.

Just FYI - both games have recrtuitable companions. Kingmaker has tons of content tied to them, romances, etc. Both games allow you to create all party members after the fact. The only difference is BT4 had you start and play a little snippet of the game with a pre-generated character before being able to make your own.

But, in general, I strongly agree. I hate pre-generated and recrtuitable characters in all games, single or party based. I just wanted to point out that Kingmaker is a more egregious example of having a party forced on you since the game is centered around the recrtuitables, whereas you lose out on nothing by replacing the pre-generated characters in BT4.

I am currently enjoying BT4 for what it does well. I am looking forward to Pathfinder too and I hope I pleasantly surprised by it, but the combat looks like it is horrible and lacking all challenge. That's one of my core complaints about games centered around recruitable-talking heads. The combat suffers because they usually want you to focus on what companions you like over combat synergy and efficiency, and story/talking with combat as a filler.
    [Deleted User]

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• PeskyPesky Member UncommonPosts: 157

Zajjar said:

One big difference is that PoE2 can be modded, but Kingmaker can't. Another difference is that PoE2 can be played with a solo character (I'm not sure if you can do that in Kingmaker).

But the biggest plus that both games have is their 'real time with pause' combat. Because I absolutely despise 'turn based combat'. I hate it with every bone in my body!

So I will never play any game that uses it.
  • RelampagoRelampago Member UncommonPosts: 445
    Kickstarted it. Really cant wait. Seems to have a lot of complexity and depth to enjoy.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    wish the game my fully voiced.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    So I bought the game and while downloaded asked a question on the steam forums. An earnest question about game mechanics. I got banned for trolling. It seems they are super ban happy. People seem to be saying it is only targeting people who mentioned politics. My question was about the kingdom system, not politics.

Anyone know if there is some way I can have steam review my ban as it was grossly unfair and makes no sense at all and that guy needs to lose his mod powers if he is using it to silence people asking game specific questions. I refunded the game, of course, as that is the only obvious solution. But I'm figuring steam has to have some rule or review process to curb forum moderators on their site abusing their powers?
    YashaX[Deleted User]
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    This game looks great, best character creation I have seen in a long time.