Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The MMORPG.com Writers’ Favorite MMOs

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageThe MMORPG.com Writers’ Favorite MMOs

We've got a fun new series kicking off today. We've asked each of the MMORPG.com writers to submit their favorite three MMOs. We start off with Tim Eisen's and Kelley Kiwi's choices. See if you agree!

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

JeffSpicoli

Comments

• SephrusSephrus Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Still in love with SWG all these years later. Best game ever, not the buts and bolts of it but because of the community and bonds made. I still talk to folks today that I met in SWG 15 years ago. While I think that Archeage had the best class system in an MMO period, the pay to win aspect killed it for me.
    ElendengelErillionAlomarBcannioto[Deleted User]RolanStormTsiya
  • etharnetharn Member UncommonPosts: 152
    Loved SWG. Felt like I didnt need any other game. It had everything I liked. Now I have to bounce around mmos for features I like. I really hope someday another mmo like that is made. Deep crafting system, housing system, deep skill system, the freedom, and obviously star wars atmosphere. But sadly I dont see that happening with the trend of things now a days. Grind would kill this generation it seems.
    ErillionAlomarRexKushman[Deleted User]RolanStorm

A man who fears nothing is a man who loves nothing; and if you love nothing, what joy is there in your life?

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Never got to play SWG , I didn't own a PC at the time capable of running it. I love reading stories about people's experience in the game, It sounds like it was a really amazing game.
    [Deleted User]DavodtheTutt
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766

thunderC said:

Never got to play SWG , I didn't own a PC at the time capable of running it. I love reading stories about people's experience in the game, It sounds like it was a really amazing game.

It was a great game, but it was broken af, of course after it's gone we all miss it because it left one hollow that hasn't been filled in the genre, but things weren't so pretty with its maintenance.
    JeffSpicoliimmodium[Deleted User]Ozmodan
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Instead of thinking about my top 3 and trying to decide, I am going to go with the amount of time I spent playing them, which makes mine (in order):

World of Warcraft
    Guild Wars II
    Everquest
    [Deleted User]

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• PartieplayinPartieplayin Member UncommonPosts: 93
    edited September 2018
    I don't get why everyone still refuses to play SWG nge . So much content was added in the finale 3 years of the game that it was basically a whole new game.. I tried pre nge several times before finding swg legends and I will never go back. I think it's nostalgia at this point because the game was incredibly boring pre nge.
    Octagon7711
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    With all the SWG love, are you all playing the emulator? I've heard its good and wonder if the game is so love why more aren't playing it...
    [Deleted User]
  • knightauditknightaudit Member UncommonPosts: 389

I don't get why everyone still refuses to play SWG nge . So much content was added in the finale 3 years of the game that it was basically a whole new game.. I tried pre nge several times before finding swg legends and I will never go back. I think it's nostalgia at this point because the game was incredibly boring pre nge.

I played both the Pre NGE and post ... Pre NGE allowed you to be what you want as it was more a sandbox game. Post ,, it became just like every other MMO out there with the whole theme park feel. If the selling point is to make your own story and play the way you want why would you want to be the champion the galaxy needs ... just like everyone else.
    [Deleted User]
  • DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    edited September 2018
    LOL @ Aion and Archeage.

1) EQ 2) SWG Pre-NGE 3) WoW

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• mmoloummolou Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Best MMORPG ever for me, is SWG, pre NGE of course, nothing since comes close.
    Yes, it was a buggy, broken mess, but still a better game experience and more fun to play than anything else I have played.
    Still playing it.
    immodium[Deleted User]RolanStormTheScavenger
    It is a funny world we live in.
    We had Empires run by Emperors, we had Kingdoms run by Kings, now we have Countries...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    edited September 2018
    1) Asheron's Call
    2) Horizons (Istaria)
    3) Vanguard
    [Deleted User]

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    thunderC said:
    I didn't get to play it until very late in its life....What I saw was nothing special, but I did not see it in its heyday before NGE....I remember thinking the crafting was pretty cool but not much else.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SolarstrikerSolarstriker Member UncommonPosts: 35
    My top 3 list:

City of Heroes
    Star Wars Galaxies
    World of Warcraft
    [Deleted User]Thornrage
  • koldmiserkoldmiser Member RarePosts: 348
    Dark Age of Camelot (Before Trials of Atlantis). I am not now, nor have ever been, a fan of PVP in my MMO's. Dark Age of Camelot's Realm Vs. Realm though was amazing and no one has come close to recreating that.
    [Deleted User]wilcoxon
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

Thupli said:

With all the SWG love, are you all playing the emulator? I've heard its good and wonder if the game is so love why more aren't playing it...

SWG Legends is pretty good. They did a great job of recreating the experience and I would recommend it for anyone who wants to relive the glory days. It's been awhile since I played EMU but I prefer Legends at this point.

One thing about SWTOR being more popular. Back in SWG times access was limited and a lot of people were just getting into computers. SWTOR, by the time it came out computers were common and broadband made it pretty easy for the masses to play online games.
    [Deleted User]

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited September 2018
    1. Lineage 2
    2. Aion
    3. Echo Of Soul

kertin
  • knightauditknightaudit Member UncommonPosts: 389
    My top 3
    1) COH/COV - Dang I miss that game
    2) WOW
    3) SWG - Pre NGE
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    My guess is Bill will include a not so MMO title in his list.

;)
    [Deleted User]DavodtheTuttTacticalZombeh

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• JotossauroJotossauro Member UncommonPosts: 5

thunderC said:

You can still play SWG on private servers.
  • kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829
    I will third Legends server. They run an amazing NGE server. I didn't play NGE like a lot of players and stopped after the first CU that released with the Wookies Expansion.

The amount of updates, added content, etc is amazing if your looking to play it.
    Thupli[Deleted User]
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

Thupli said:

SWG Legends is pretty good. They did a great job of recreating the experience and I would recommend it for anyone who wants to relive the glory days. It's been awhile since I played EMU but I prefer Legends at this point.

One thing about SWTOR being more popular. Back in SWG times access was limited and a lot of people were just getting into computers. SWTOR, by the time it came out computers were common and broadband made it pretty easy for the masses to play online games.

Honestly it is more about SW is a mass appeal IP and SWTOR is a mass appeal game. SWG was not.

That's interesting, if SWG wasn't marketed to the masses who was it directed towards? The only difference I can see between the two for the most part is one came out in 2003 and the other around 2011.
    [Deleted User]TacticalZombeh

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey