Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Retraction: Gina Bruno Social Media Accounts Hacked

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageRetraction: Gina Bruno Social Media Accounts Hacked

Earlier today, we posted a story allegedly from ESO's Gina Bruno indicating that she was resigning from the company due to an assault. It came to our attention after the story was published that Gina's social media accounts were hacked. We appreciate both Gina and our own community for pointing out the forum post on the Elder Scrolls Online site clarifying that this was indeed a hacked post on Twitter.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Iselin

Comments

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited September 2018
    Wow, they hacked her account for the express purpose of creating fake news stories? People these days.

• sjorandsunsjorandsun Member UncommonPosts: 8
    No worries! These things happen, good to see the follow up and quick update.

While it's certainly nothing to celebrate, I'm at least glad the original tweets were false.
    BillMurphySBFord
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Hopefully whoever hacked her account gets criminal charges. Because what they did can actually damage someone or multiple peoples career. Sure its just Twitter, but its still a serious thing.
    LackingMMOElendengelDiscipledOneSovrathNyghthowlerJeroKanegastovski1SBFordrojoArcueidValsileiand 1 other.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760
    Haha.  Fake news.
    Kwestorek1

I've got the straight edge.

• HalibrandHalibrand Member UncommonPosts: 136
    Glad they're getting this sorted out!

Perhaps something good can come from this: I'd love a series of articles about all the times Bill Murphy gets catfished.
  • bgzgamerbgzgamer Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Yeah you were super quick to correct.. well done fellahs
    SBFord
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

Wow, they hacked her account for the express purpose of creating fake news stories?

People these days.

Conspiracy Theory, person hacked their own account using a VPN, and TOR, then pretended to be someone else to gain media attention.

Then contacted other people or news forums to say that it was hacked...

Who knows :D.
    MadFrenchieSolancerjimmywolf
    edited September 2018
    Hopefully whoever hacked her account gets criminal charges. Because what they did can actually damage someone or multiple peoples career. Sure its just Twitter, but its still a serious thing.
    If we can hold employees responsible for damaging their companies via their Twitter account, I absolutely agree that hacking one's account to impersonate them is something we should criminalize in whatever way we can.
    [Deleted User]SBFordTheScavenger

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    If we can hold employees responsible for damaging their companies via their Twitter account, I absolutely agree that hacking one's account to impersonate them is something we should criminalize in whatever way we can.
    Couldn't such a thing fall under identity theft and/or slander/libel? 
    DMKano said:
    Aeander said:
    Libel.

Libel is a written or published defamatory statement, while slander is defamation that is spoken 
    My question, purely hypothetical, is this: say they had just inpersonated the dev and spread tumors that she was assaulted.  Is that exactly defamatory to the dev?  Claiming it's defamatory seems to indicate there's something negative about being a victim- something maliciously negative.  That one might think "less" of someone or unfairly discriminate or judge the dev.

In that instance, has the victim really been damaged?  Should we worry about requiring damages be proven when someone invades someone else's privacy to spout false statements from their personal accounts?

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    DMKano said:
    Aeander said:
    Libel.

Libel is a written or published defamatory statement, while slander is defamation that is spoken 
    I'm aware of the distinction. This could potentially be line-blurring between identity theft and libel.
  • jarsku85jarsku85 Member UncommonPosts: 84
    edited September 2018
    That's pretty common thing in these days after Sean Murrays twitter account got hacked after NMS launch. Can't believe how good game NMS is now only after 2 years.
    SBFord
  • El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760
    Elidien said:
    What's worse is then said asswipe(s) decided to attack and verbally harass anyone who responded or questioned what was going on and then preceded to post all kinds of crap. If I was ZOS, I would so go after criminal charges.
    Why?  Because, if one your co-workers went on to Twitter and pretended to be one of your other co-workers you would want your boss to waste money pursuing a lawsuit?  

Some of you act as though game developers are gods.  If this happened at my job we'd all have a good laugh about it and then move on.
    blamo2000jimmywolfSovrath

I've got the straight edge.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    The lesson here is surely don't do articles on your website without confirmation? The drive to be the first is strong but for serious allegations caution should be the by word. Putting something out as serious as this in a tweet should raise a question mark.

An attempt at least should be made to contact the person to get some confirmation be email the phone or whatever. I know I have made this all sound so easy and straight forward, it is a tricky decision but then that’s the can of worms social media has opened.
    JeffSpicoli
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Renoaku said:

Wow, they hacked her account for the express purpose of creating fake news stories?

People these days.

Conspiracy Theory, person hacked their own account using a VPN, and TOR, then pretended to be someone else to gain media attention.

Then contacted other people or news forums to say that it was hacked...

Who knows :D.
    Well, if you were going to go all conspiracy theorist, you could also say that someone hacked their own account and put something 'sensational' in there to turn her into a victim, if they were concerned about their future employment, which if someone was in imminent danger of being sacked it would make it harder for Zenimax to do so in the face of negative publicity ;)
    JeffSpicoli
  • jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    El-Hefe said:
    Elidien said:
    What's worse is then said asswipe(s) decided to attack and verbally harass anyone who responded or questioned what was going on and then preceded to post all kinds of crap. If I was ZOS, I would so go after criminal charges.
    Why?  Because, if one your co-workers went on to Twitter and pretended to be one of your other co-workers you would want your boss to waste money pursuing a lawsuit?  

Some of you act as though game developers are gods.  If this happened at my job we'd all have a good laugh about it and then move on.
    that very shortsighted thinking and why we have lot of social issues in this world.

i don't like SJW that cry foul at every word someone says, how they think or look but their need to be a hard line on what ok and what is not. been able to access someone Private accounts an post something under their name is not a joke or harmless prank. as it only take one " joke " that went wrong then we argue why the hacker is absolve from blame since it was a " joke "

calling in swats? was a joke, saying their a bomb on a plane? a joke, saying you would kill someone who made you mad ? a joke...

so were do you draw the line?  when you think it no longer funny? when know one got hurt so it ok?  you can only tell society to grow up it's a joke so much before maybe we need to just stop the kids thinking the lands of the free absolve them of justice from " jokes ".

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited September 2018
    Scot said:
    The lesson here is surely don't do articles on your website without confirmation? The drive to be the first is strong but for serious allegations caution should be the by word. Putting something out as serious as this in a tweet should raise a question mark.

An attempt at least should be made to contact the person to get some confirmation be email the phone or whatever. I know I have made this all sound so easy and straight forward, it is a tricky decision but then that’s the can of worms social media has opened.
    I was thinking, who would Bill call? Doubtful he has Gina on speed dial. The Zenimax answer line? "Hello, can you confirm if one of your employees was physically assaulted? 

Even if true doubtful Bill could reach anyone high enough who would actually know nor do I believe said person would publically comment on it even to an esteemed journalist. (We love you Bill)

Assault cases are extremely personal and private and few agencies of any type will speak of them or publically name a victim.

Also he had no reason to believe the account was hacked so I'm not seeing much else which he could have done to verify.

Perhaps in the future such a story could be qualified with "have received an unconfirmed report from (whatever the info source was) that such and such happened, more at 11."
    SBFordScot

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Another thought, although this issue originally was thought to have occurred to a person in the game development industry,  it really wasn't a news item about gaming. 

Perhaps sticking to the site's mission of reporting on games would help it steer clear of social issues such as abuse or harrassment?

I don't mind if they include them, just opens the site up to extra criticism and more hostile debates which they will just want to close down.

JeffSpicoli

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

El-Hefe said:

Elidien said:

If this happened at my job the person doing the hacking would, at the very least, be fired.
    KyleranJeffSpicoliVyntScot
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Sovrath said:

El-Hefe said:

Elidien said:

If this happened at my job the person doing the hacking would, at the very least, be fired.
    Same at my company, accessing another employees account even if they permit it is a serious offense and could (and has) result in immediate termination.

• black9iceblack9ice Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Moral of the story, don't leave your account information taped to your desk, drawer, monitor, etc.

Secondly, the news or post was an obvious fake. The post said she reported someone for calling her a 'higher up'. Last I checked that would be considered a compliment in america/english language and not sexual assault.
  • berlightberlight Member UncommonPosts: 345
    edited September 2018
    ...made a hate thread...and deleted. Let's just say i know the person. She have zero knowledge regarding computers. She's not a gamer or understand the community needs. I'm not surprised. Everyone hate her in zenimax
    IselinKyleran

Beta tester maniac

• dreadlordnafdreadlordnaf Member UncommonPosts: 88
    Many of you are letting MMORPG off the hook a little too easily, saying congrats for correcting it so fast or that there is "no way they could've known." I call BS on this for the following reasons:

1. MMORPG is currently my favorite gaming site. Why? Because unlike IGN, gamespot, RPS, etc they actually focus on GAMES and dont have needless mindless articles about social issues or he said/she said drama or SJW nonsense. Some advice to MMORPG so this doesn't happen again: Stick to what you are good at, games. There is already an infinite amount of websites jumping on every outraged offense or allegation someone online claims to have suffered. What benefit can come from you becoming just another one of these websites, say a Buzzfeed lite?

2. You want to know the super duper easy nearly 99% way to know if an allegation like sexual assault is serious or not? IF ITS ONLY REPORTED ON SOCIAL MEDIA, THEN BE SUSPICIOUS. Real assaults are reported to the police and the victims are not real eager to blast their trauma to the world. If the only allegation you see is from someone's twitter feed and they havent bothered to report it to the police then there is a good chance it's fake, exaggerated, or something else is going that is hiding the whole story. AKA fake Rolling Stone allegations which nearly ruined innocent guys lives, AKA fake Chad Hardwick allegations, AKA Aziz Ansari, etc. You see the common thread in all these fake allegations? They were all reported to the media or on social media, but apparently not to the real police. HMM wonder why that is? Because the real policy probably would've called BS on it right away..

Even though this case was different, of someone getting hacked, had MMORPG simply followed the advice above they wouldn't have ended up looking foolish in the first place. I highly urge MMORPG to stick to focus on gaming. We don't need another Polygon or Kotaku.... As you have now seen, it will just end up with you looking foolish.
    MadFrenchie
    edited September 2018
    Jesus Christ, a guy hacks an account specifically to start rumors and make them look credible, and we still somehow get posters trying to link this shit to SJW bullshit propaganda.

Put the fucking Boogeyman away.
    IselinmaskedweaselKyleran