Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Understanding the Vision

I'm not saying anything new here as most of us know, in order for designer to create a vision game that goes against what any large scale company marketing will allow, they would have to go off on their own and gather several like minded individuals for help.  Therefore Brad created Visionary realms. 

The VISION is an mmorpg that plays like a traditional Multi player game.  

What's extremely important here is this:
This group (Visionary Realms) understands that first generation mmorpg's were popular, however 2nd generation REPLACED THEM, then 3rd generation REPLACED THEM. 

The big questions are this: 
Why replaced ?..... Can't they co-exist ?.... Why have they stopped ?.... Why do people think first generation will fail ?  
Why do people think 1999 stick figures, 1999 graphics and 1999 UI ?

Many here think I'm the bad guy on these forums.  Well I'm sorry you feel that way ! 
I'm here to stop "absolutely wrong stigmas" that posters generate in their head, then like mass hysteria the crowed goes along with them.  I seem to have no alternative but use the word "sheep".  However some get it, not because of me "I'm the bad guy" they just do. 

It's like this: 
Lets say you witness a crime and know who did it.  You had seen it happen with your own eyes, up close and personal without any reservations, totally sober and in your right mind, it happened..... Yet their is no evidence and no one believes you.  

Well, it still happened and the person did it regardless, even if the person is not convicted or even accused.   

I know what people are thinking RIGHT NOW !!!!!! 

This post is leading up to the OP trying to justify himself, and he is an A%& Hole by calling us Sheep :(  
I'm never here to troll, never my intentions EVER. 

I'm TRYING TO ASK PEOPLE TO THINK CLEARLY, and think on their own.  I don't give a rats ass about me. 

Pantheon WILL work :)
Gdemami

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    One thing clearly criminal is the format of the OP.  What's up with all of the blank space?

Thebeastttcraftseeker

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

As to the OP's rambling commentary a few points:
    1) Their lower budget will limit what they can accomplish on every front, design, graphics, content, optimization, stability, anti cheat and hacking defense.

2) First gen games were replaced because the 2nd gen (WOW really) was wildly more successful than all other MMORPGs combined here in the west.

Most  everything else which came afterwards were just unsuccessful attempts to build a better WOW. If there is a 3rd gen it largely started with FFXIV reborn, ESO and BDO.

3) There is no solid financial evidence of a huge untapped market for new MMORPGS, regardless what their design is, much less one like Pantheon.

But hey, I've been way wrong before on calling gaming trends (WOW clones, SC, etc.) so if the OP is lucky I'll be way off this time as well.
    Mendelcraftseekergervaise1PhaserlightGdemamiOctagon7711

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464

I'm not saying anything new here as most of us know, in order for designer to create a vision game that goes against what any large scale company marketing will allow, they would have to go off on their own and gather several like minded individuals for help.  Therefore Brad created Visionary realms. 

This group (Visionary Realms) understands that first generation mmorpg's were popular, however 2nd generation REPLACED THEM, then 3rd generation REPLACED THEM. 

Why replaced ?..... Can't they co-exist ?.... Why have they stopped ?.... Why do people think first generation will fail ?  

Many here think I'm the bad guy on these forums.  Well I'm sorry you feel that way ! 
    I'm here to stop "absolutely wrong stigmas" that posters generate in their head, then like mass hysteria the crowed goes along with them.  I seem to have no alternative but use the word "sheep".  However some get it, not because of me "I'm the bad guy" they just do. 

It's like this: 
    Lets say you witness a crime and know who did it.  You had seen it happen with your own eyes, up close and personal without any reservations, totally sober and in your right mind, it happened..... Yet their is no evidence and no one believes you.  

Well, it still happened and the person did it regardless, even if the person is not convicted or even accused.   

This post is leading up to the OP trying to justify himself, and he is an A%& Hole by calling us Sheep :(  

I'm TRYING TO ASK PEOPLE TO THINK CLEARLY, and think on their own.  I don't give a rats ass about me. 

Wrong. You were way off!

I was thinking, "this sounds like a post written by that delete guy, but no it was by someone with a cat avatar. Who was that? **scrolls to top** Oh wow it was delete with a new avatar. And that's not even a cat. What is it, some kind of squirrel?!"
    --------------------------------------------
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    WellspringThebeasttt[Deleted User]

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Pantheon may work.  It may not.  Pantheon Launch + 2 years *will* answer a lot of questions about the MMORPG and the people that play them.  Maybe even questions that no one is asking now.

Maybe Pantheon will ignite a new golden age, ripe with new ideas and novel experiences for players to explore.  Maybe it will be the death knell for the genre, a hollow dull thud sounding on PCs without sound cards.  Maybe it will be somewhere in between, attracting fans and detractors alike.  No one knows yet, but it is likely to be a very interesting discovery process.

Kyleran

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Many here think I'm the bad guy on these forums. 
    I don't think people "think" you are a bad guy. Just that some of your forum topics are a bit more in line with "cloud talking."
    Kyleran[Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Sovrath said:

Many here think I'm the bad guy on these forums. 
    I don't think people "think" you are a bad guy. Just that some of your forum topics are a bit more in line with "cloud talking."
    I kind of picture Delete as shown in the banjo player gif above. Just kicked back, making shit up, doesn't care if people think he's deranged.  
    [Deleted User]

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

It's like this: 

Wrong. You were way off!

I was thinking, "this sounds like a post written by that delete guy, but no it was by someone with a cat avatar. Who was that? **scrolls to top** Oh wow it was delete with a new avatar. And that's not even a cat. What is it, some kind of squirrel?!"
    The mad squirrel on a rock has spoken ! 
    Wellspringcraftseeker
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Don't deify the shortcomings of the past.   The original group of MMOs had very little competition.  It was also unplumbed territory, so all sorts of things were tried, some good some bad.  

For new games, once you get past the showstoppers, I get to aspects of games that I don't like, but will put up with if the rest of the game is good.   Too many of those and the game gets elevated into the showstopper territory.  Blindly following those early game designs leads to games that leave a lot of people out.  Just reference, say, Wildstar with it's hardcore 40-man raid design.  Turned out to be a showstopper.  Developers have to match their budget with the audience they can attract.  Or else.....
    MendelNeanderthal

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 527
    As always you try to talk down to people that have a different opinion than you. Your whole point is i am right and everyone that thinks differently is wrong.

No matter how many times, (and MAN have there been a lot) you trot out your arguments, they all come down to that point...i am right, everyone that thinks differently has to, must be, wrong.

Never once have you tried to think things through from the point, that maybe...just maybe... YOU are wrong....
    craftseeker
  • mmorpg_1000mmorpg_1000 Member CommonPosts: 3
    If Pantheon is going to make it, the team needs a weekly web post about current work and status.  It doesn't need to be technical, but maybe some info on current work and work completed.  We see the play videos every so often but tell us, the fans and those helping to fund it, we want to see some progress.  I understand the development takes time to do it right.  Show us the hard work and why we are waiting.......  
    If Pantheon is going to make it, the team needs a weekly web post about current work and status.  It doesn't need to be technical, but maybe some info on current work and work completed.  We see the play videos every so often but tell us, the fans and those helping to fund it, we want to see some progress.  I understand the development takes time to do it right.  Show us the hard work and why we are waiting.......  
    I'm sure it will ramp up several months before release. 
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I think one of the biggest hurdles that Pantheon will face is the memory of the first "Vision", also by the same developer.  As I remember it, the "Vision" was one of the most hated elements of EQ1.  Reaction to this Vision was one of the reasons I heard most as to why people left EQ1 in 2000-2002 time frame.  The Vision gained such a bad reputation that that terminology was subsequently dropped from SOE's marketing, and never really appeared in conjunction with Vanguard.

I hope Pantheon/VR has given some thought to this concept this time around.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Scott23Scott23 Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Mendel said:
    I think one of the biggest hurdles that Pantheon will face is the memory of the first "Vision", also by the same developer.  As I remember it, the "Vision" was one of the most hated elements of EQ1.  Reaction to this Vision was one of the reasons I heard most as to why people left EQ1 in 2000-2002 time frame.  The Vision gained such a bad reputation that that terminology was subsequently dropped from SOE's marketing, and never really appeared in conjunction with Vanguard.

I hope Pantheon/VR has given some thought to this concept this time around.

The Vision was essentially what every player hates about a MMO that they play.  It was the developers developing the game the way the developers wanted to develop it.

The reason it was hated and mocked is that it wasn't catering to each individual player's vision was.  You see the same thing in every MMO.  Since EQ was one of the first widespread one (and as I recall the developers actually engaged with the players) it was one of the first to have people protest said development.
  • Kiori001Kiori001 Member UncommonPosts: 18
    The last MMO I really enjoyed playing was Vanguard.  Don't tell me about the issues it had,  I am fully aware of them having left because of them then came back to the the game when they were pretty much sorted.  The last time I came back I had convinced a bunch of friends to join me in a static.  It was a lot of fun,  unfortunately due to the lack of pop the servers were shut down.
    I have not found an mmo since that I enjoyed,  though I have thought about trying ESO.

Anyway I am hoping that Pantheon is something similiar to Vanguard and that it has enough population to keep servers alive.  I couldn't give a stuff if it never cracks x amount of players.  I just wan't something I like that sticks around for some years for me to enjoy the type of game I am into.
    People can agree with my comment or not,  I do not care if they do or not.  I am simply stating what I wan't and hope to get.
    svanndelete5230
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    A part of the VISION is that it MAKES MONEY.

At least it had better be. If it isn't it will close very quickly unless, like FFXIV, ESO, WS etc.  it has a major financial backer prepared to fund it for a while.
  • asteldiancaliskanasteldiancaliskan Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Kiori001 said:
    The last MMO I really enjoyed playing was Vanguard.  Don't tell me about the issues it had,  I am fully aware of them having left because of them then came back to the the game when they were pretty much sorted.  The last time I came back I had convinced a bunch of friends to join me in a static.  It was a lot of fun,  unfortunately due to the lack of pop the servers were shut down.
    I have not found an mmo since that I enjoyed,  though I have thought about trying ESO.

Anyway I am hoping that Pantheon is something similiar to Vanguard and that it has enough population to keep servers alive.  I couldn't give a stuff if it never cracks x amount of players.  I just wan't something I like that sticks around for some years for me to enjoy the type of game I am into.
    People can agree with my comment or not,  I do not care if they do or not.  I am simply stating what I wan't and hope to get.
    Yup, despite its flaws VG was still probably my favorite mmo experience, with EQ1 close. My ideal Pantheon would be a VG/EQ baby
    Kiori001
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    You got a perdy mouff!

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

What the hell was the actual point of this thread? I still do not know
    Something about vision problems, or maybe being "Blinded by the Light."

and just because I like both versions 

Brad lost a contact lens. 

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Didn't know 1999 was stick figures?  Also UO/EQ are still going.  Not a big fan of the direction they went, but they are still around.  I have been playing since UO, playing Archeage right now.  Pantheon is the only MMORPG I am interested in atm.

Tired of all this new/better p2w personally.  Played WoW beta....not a fan.  As soon as something comes along, the 3rd replacement I am playing will be history and I wont miss it.
    Amathe
    edited September 2018
    Amathe said:
    Exactly what are you contributing here ? 
    For a while their you were quoting Pantheon web site text, acting like the main Pntheon guru.  

I was waiting for you to conduct question and answer services for Visionary Realms 

Thanks for stopping that by the way.
    AmatheKyleran
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Amathe said:
    Exactly what are you contributing here ? 

And you are contributing? I have no idea what this thread is even about?!
    If your to quote something quote it all.  

Another nothing guy too !