Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Magic: The Gathering Arena Open Beta Announced

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageMagic: The Gathering Arena Open Beta Announced

Wizards of the Coast has announced that the open beta for Magic: The Gathering Arena will kick off on September 27th. The game brings the much-loved card game to digital format "without compromising Magic's core gameplay".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Hashcow101Hashcow101 Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Pretty fun new version of their old system. Just wish they would have it for Android and iOS.

"May Your Head Explode And Blood Swell From The Wound"
    - Hashcow

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Pretty fun new version of their old system. Just wish they would have it for Android and iOS.
    I bet they'll get around to it sooner or later. After all, mobile game profits dwarf all others.
    Thupli

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    So, is this a replacement for MTG:Online or a totally new game? I'm confused.

There has been a lot talk about upgrading MTG:O to this century. Is this it?
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    deniter said:

It's a totally new game. It shares a lot of the features of MTG:O but it's more modern so kind of what they talked about, but they will run side by side. As the monetization in this is different than in MTG:O, as that game is exactly the same as playing the physical card game just online. 
    El-Hefe
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    deniter said:

It's a totally new game. It shares a lot of the features of MTG:O but it's more modern so kind of what they talked about, but they will run side by side. As the monetization in this is different than in MTG:O, as that game is exactly the same as playing the physical card game just online. 
    Good to know, thanks a lot.
  • ananitananit Member RarePosts: 293
    mtgo is the exact same as paper mtg, you can buy and trade singles and you can sell them too for real money.
    mtg arena is mtg with hearthstone business model, it is a closed environment and there is no trading with other players

mtgo = real trading card game online, you have access to every single card and format that have been released since the 90's. you can even play vintage for a lot cheaper than irl. you have to deal with a shitty archaic UI though. you cannot play this game as a free to play, it really is the same as mtg paper.

mtga = collectible card game online, you can only play with the standard legal cards but games are a lot faster when you play in best of 1. slick and modern UI similar to magic planeswalker and you can play the game without spending a cent on it.
    MensurSBFordGorweWaan
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited September 2018
    They have learned nothing and or are just super stubborn.

It is a better core design than Hearthstone but looks worse and is less user/viewer friendly.
    Worse however is imo the older online version was better than this,so why bother to get rid of that for an even lesser cheaper design?All i can see is a low coswt opportunity to rekindle interest but it won't and is not working.

What i am seeing is that al these introductory players into the TCG genre are now seeing the black mark of the genre...way over the top cost.So now Hearthstone is losing players meaning people are losing interest in this genre.
    Point being ,they as in MTG team, needed a MUCH better effort if hoping to generate a large fanbase for the online mode.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    Magic player since 1996, modo (magic online) since beta (i had to go to the WotC shop in the mall to get the CD) and mmo player since 2002.

Hearthstone player since its closed beta.

Since Arena i have not felt the need to open either Modo or hearthstone. Magic has its flaws but side by side with hearthstone, with similar clients, there's no debate for me.

It aint perfect but its a lot more fairly monetized than magic online and it's a lot less RNG than hearthstone.
    Thupli

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• bgzgamerbgzgamer Member UncommonPosts: 127
    im actually excited about this...
  • CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Been in the beta for a while now, games needs some qol improvements but the core game engine works great. Looking forward to the open beta and no more wipes.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    I am still waiting a MtG game where you can pick ANY cards to make a deck, right from Alpha through the latest set...

One can only hope...
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • xonedlxonedl Member UncommonPosts: 25
    I can't be the only one on this planet that dislike Hearthstone visual style.