Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comfort Zones

AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
Sometimes, I just want relax with a game I know like the back of hand.

I see lots of posts here demanding "innovation" or "something new/different" and I agree. But sometimes, Freecell or Iron Dragon hits the spot. I've heard WoW is "the comfort zone" for many MMO players and why it has such a large core base of players.

Do you have "comfort games" that you go to just whenever? If so, what are some of them?

For me, games that are comfortable are:
Freecell and Iron Dragon (as mentioned previously)
Master of Magic
Skyrim
Fallout 3 and New Vegas
XCom 2
Doom and Quake

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
- FARGIN_WAR

JeffSpicoliVestigeGamer

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Ultima Online for 20+ years now ... its home
    JeffSpicoliVestigeGamerAlBQuirky
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Bethesda games are super comfy to play especially when you come back to them after a long break

Hearthstone
    WarThunder
    XCOM2
    Fishing Planet
    American Truck simulator
    Tropico 
    Age of Wonders 3

VestigeGamerAlBQuirky
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 543
    Master of Orion 2. Just a safe corner. Enough planets to breed my Sakras. Build up fleets and bring the joy on the bayonets to remaining Galaxy.

Lord of the rings online, at least LP grind.
    SovrathVestigeGamerAlBQuirky
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    I don't have specific games I go to as a comfort game. I've been playing L2 and WoW for 12+ years each, and I guess I'll go back to those every once in a while.

I have so many games that I wouldn't go back to the same one after beating it unless I really really enjoyed it.
    VestigeGamerAlBQuirky
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    DMKano said:
    To me - gaming is a comfort zone.

So I guess whatever I happen to play at the time.

And the number of games I have in my steam library that I am yet to touch is absurd.

I see my current library as a great almost eternal comforting cruise trip. 
    ScorchienVestigeGamerAlBQuirkyOctagon7711
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Mount & Blade Warband multiplayer
    VestigeGamerAlBQuirky
    DMKano said:

And the number of games I have in my steam library that I am yet to touch is absurd.

I see my current library as a great almost eternal comforting cruise trip. 
    Nice way of putting it , i think my great grandkids may have to finish my games backlog tho as between all digital distribution i have near 3000 games now ... hah probably 2k ive never touched , and i see at least 6 games that will be added in sept alone ...
    VestigeGamerJeffSpicoliConstantineMerusAlBQuirky
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    feh I don't feel like playing old games, i'm always after the next new shiny, on hard+ difficult if possible
    VestigeGamerAlBQuirky
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Morrowind
    Skyrim
    Lord of the Rings Online

VestigeGamerJeffSpicoliAlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    edited September 2018
    Well when there on sale i just grab them up ... My 7 year old looks at my game library and i tell him .."It will be his one day "  .Its funny the look on his face ..

I give alot away also friends family  , have given dozens away here over the years , will be doing that near the holidays
    AlBQuirkyJeffSpicoliOctagon7711
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Some great games listed here! Some surprises and interesting titles.
    feh I don't feel like playing old games, i'm always after the next new shiny, on hard+ difficult if possible
    I know a few players like this. That's cool, too. Maybe I'm too old and "set in my ways" to fully embrace this attitude ;)

@Sovrath, TES and Fallout 3 & NV are comfort games for me, too. I've had some troubles with the TES series and also the Fallout 3 and NV games. I had to remap Morrowind's keys so that [space bar] jumps and [e] activates for both games now. I tried playing Fallout 3 and Skyrim in the same time period (not at the same time, mind you) and their keymap differences were tricky, too ;)

Like some others, I have a huge library of games that I have not even seen the title screen to. I'll poke around my games list and see these untried games and sometimes I'll pick one, other times I find myself clicking that old "tried and true" game :)
    VestigeGamerScorchien

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

AlBQuirky said:
    I know a few players like this. That's cool, too. Maybe I'm too old and "set in my ways" to fully embrace this attitude ;)

@Sovrath, TES and Fallout 3 & NV are comfort games for me, too. I've had some troubles with the TES series and also the Fallout 3 and NV games. I had to remap Morrowind's keys so that [space bar] jumps and [e] activates for both games now. I tried playing Fallout 3 and Skyrim in the same time period (not at the same time, mind you) and their keymap differences were tricky, too ;)

Like some others, I have a huge library of games that I have not even seen the title screen to. I'll poke around my games list and see these untried games and sometimes I'll pick one, other times I find myself clicking that old "tried and true" game :)
    that is the funny thing, when I was younger I could replay the same game over and over, finish secret of mana and chrono trigger like over 10 times each, but now, after I finish it once i'm done, if the game is really good maybe a second, but mostly I just do it once and if the game is good I get all possible things in one run
    VestigeGamerOctagon7711AlBQuirky
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    AlBQuirky said:

that is the funny thing, when I was younger I could replay the same game over and over, finish secret of mana and chrono trigger like over 10 times each, but now, after I finish it once i'm done, if the game is really good maybe a second, but mostly I just do it once and if the game is good I get all possible things in one run
    It may be my loss of memory that helps facilitate my replaying of games. If I wait a month or so, playing games in between, I can boot it up and it's like a new game again! ;)
    VestigeGamer

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    GW2
    Watch Dogs
    Homefront Revolution
    Torchlight 2
    Dark

AlBQuirkyVestigeGamer

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I like the new ones also but I also like to go over titles and play some of the old ones from time to time and also install and play some I purchased and never got a chance to play. 
    AlBQuirkyVestigeGamer

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    DMKano said:

My guess the number of games you've actually played goes way beyond absurd, ludicrous perhaps?
    AlBQuirkyVestigeGamer

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

I like the new ones also but I also like to go over titles and play some of the old ones from time to time and also install and play some I purchased and never got a chance to play. 
    pretty much when I say new is not really like new, i can be a couple of year old, the new to me is I never played, example I finished playing 2 months ago star ocean last hope,

with my memory I guess i'm fucked then lol, I remember the whole damn thing I can kinda forget a story part here and there, but I remember the whole mechanic, and my muscle memory take like a couple seconds to work like I never stoped playing
    AlBQuirkyGorwe