Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Noob Developers.

2»

Comments

• GravebladeGraveblade Member UncommonPosts: 547
    There are a plethora of examples of gaming done right in todays gaming climate. 
    Just not in the mmorpg genre.
    For the MMORPG? It is a stale genre that needs an intervention.
    Funnily enough though this is what I am touching on. "Done right" nowadays often happens to also include "feature less" compared to older games unfortunately. lol
    Gdemami
    Started playing mmorpg's in 1996 and have been hooked ever since. It began with Kingdom of Drakkar, Ultima Online, Everquest, DAoC, WoW...
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    TEKK3N said:
    The best games (classics) have been made by indie developers (which became big after the success of their game).
    It's been always like that and always will be.
    You forgot the last steps:
    - Successful company bought by EA.
    - EA dissolves new asset ;)
    Scot

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

DMKano said:

The high cost of MMORPGs as well as high post-launch operational cost of having to run and maintain the server/network backend + live game customer support, billing etc...

on top of the falling customer interest in MMORPGs  - it just makes them generally too risky for investors today.

Compare that to the simplicity of a single player game - night and day difference.

The only thing that makes online games an enticing proposition from a financial point - constant revenue via cash shop

Not only that but the technical challenges of creating a project that complex is,for most of us,just not worth it. Considering most mmorpg games fail to ROI it can mean years of your life work down the drain. Like the work we did on The Chronicles of Spellborn. 
    Most MMOs do not even get a Return on their Investment? I had no idea. (Not being snarky here.)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Hard to find someone who is willing to invest a huge amount of money into a feature rich game where the result is unkown when the most successfull game concept currently is to create a map, throw 100 players and some loot into it and done. Huuuuge profit.
    Anthur said:
    Hard to find someone who is willing to invest a huge amount of money into a feature rich game where the result is unkown when the most successfull game concept currently is to create a map, throw 100 players and some loot into it and done. Huuuuge profit.
    Hard to find because the majority are either cowards who are scared to take a risk or simply not visionaries or creatives but actually just business men.
    Gdemami
    Started playing mmorpg's in 1996 and have been hooked ever since. It began with Kingdom of Drakkar, Ultima Online, Everquest, DAoC, WoW...
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I read the thread title to mean that someone was developing better noobs.
    MendelAlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Amathe said:
    I read the thread title to mean that someone was developing better noobs.

haha :P
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Because they're cheap and lazy 
    Gdemami
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Anyone wanna run a dungeon?
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Moirae said:
    Because they're cheap and lazy 
    You are talking about NOOBS right?

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    I'm quitting WOW
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    again....
    AlBQuirkyNorseGod
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    I'd argue with that, it is less than cheap (it is free) and also not lazy, it is more like helpfully hand-holdy (since it is a great help for those new raspberry owners).
    Wait...
    You mean NOOBS, with capitals, right?
    https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/noobs/
    :smiley:
    bcbully said:
    Anyone wanna run a dungeon?
    Is that like walking the dog? ;)

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,818
    DMKano said:

The high cost of MMORPGs as well as high post-launch operational cost of having to run and maintain the server/network backend + live game customer support, billing etc...

on top of the falling customer interest in MMORPGs  - it just makes them generally too risky for investors today.

Compare that to the simplicity of a single player game - night and day difference.

The only thing that makes online games an enticing proposition from a financial point - constant revenue via cash shop

I agree with the night and day analogy, but we are still not seeing a plethora of new solo titles coming out to my mind. I think Indie certainly skews the PC chart to make it look like a ton of new titles are always coming out, but AAA?

Once a gaming corporation has the games it needs to obtain a huge revenue why change that formula with something new unless the revenue starts to fall.
    KyleranAlBQuirkyGdemami