Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RUMOR: City of Heroes & WildStar Closures - An Alternate Viewpoint from the Inside - MMORPG.com New

Comments

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    My take on the CoH closure has always been that NCSoft needed a one time boost to their bottomline, due to Perfect World considering a takeover.  Everyone talked about it being a surprise, and it took place right at the end of a fiscal quarter.  

It was self reported by the Paragon Studios devs at the time that they were working on two projects for NCSoft, hence the large studio size.  

Given NCSoft's crooked behavior with Richard Garriott and Tabula Rasa, (pointedly not referenced in the 'rumorz'?),  no reason to require them being wronged to explain their behavior.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Torval said:
    Either post this shit under your own real name, or continue to suffer in silence you craven bunch of Muppets.
    Why should they? Also, unless you're willing to throw yourself and resources on the line along with them as an ally then even more so, why should they? It's some stranger letting you know they think you're being lied to. They obviously have no love for NC either so it's not like they're apologizing for them. Believe whatever you want or not, or file it away and watch how industry actors behave.

Even if what he says is true NC still shoulders the majority of the blame for being such a poor manager. And if what he says is true it is testament about the lack of integrity rampant in this industry.

NC should be embarrassed. Their incompetence and dishonesty is shameful. EA should be embarrassed for lying and saying they learned a lesson in SW:BF2 and then telling Belgium to fuck off. I'm not going to criticize someone for not going head to head with billion dollar companies as a martyr.
    To actually make some sort of change happen in the industry. If these people are fucking things up they need to be called out. If there really is a conspiracy to blackball anyone who doesn't keep this omerta level of silence like they're part of fucking cosa nostra, that needs to be called out as well. Continuing to stay silent, refusing to stand up for themselves, and trying to do damage via hearsay and rumor only helps this pathetic state of affairs continue.
    It’s a small world out there for these guys. Would you want the guy who exposed two studios on your senior development team even if he was being truthfully? 

Even though what he spoke may be benificial to the “mmorpg community” he violated trust. If you can’t trust someone how can you have them on your team?

this is why there are anonymous whistle blower lines.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Iselin said:
    Torval said:
    Either post this shit under your own real name, or continue to suffer in silence you craven bunch of Muppets.
    Why should they? Also, unless you're willing to throw yourself and resources on the line along with them as an ally then even more so, why should they? It's some stranger letting you know they think you're being lied to. They obviously have no love for NC either so it's not like they're apologizing for them. Believe whatever you want or not, or file it away and watch how industry actors behave.

Even if what he says is true NC still shoulders the majority of the blame for being such a poor manager. And if what he says is true it is testament about the lack of integrity rampant in this industry.

NC should be embarrassed. Their incompetence and dishonesty is shameful. EA should be embarrassed for lying and saying they learned a lesson in SW:BF2 and then telling Belgium to fuck off. I'm not going to criticize someone for not going head to head with billion dollar companies as a martyr.
    To actually make some sort of change happen in the industry. If these people are fucking things up they need to be called out. If there really is a conspiracy to blackball anyone who doesn't keep this omerta level of silence like they're part of fucking cosa nostra, that needs to be called out as well. Continuing to stay silent, refusing to stand up for themselves, and trying to do damage via hearsay and rumor only helps this pathetic state of affairs continue.
    There have always been and there will always been good, legitimate reasons for anonymous sources. Not everyone wants to be Snowden and they shouldn't have to self-destruct to get investigations started, especially about minor (in the grand scheme of things) corporate shenanigans.

If good, investigative journalism actually existed in the gaming press, this should be the start of the story, not the end that everyone will be easily distracted away from in a couple of weeks. When stories mature and get investigated that is where eventually, non-anonymous verified facts emerge.

Maybe you should give All the President's Men a re-watch. That whole thing got started with an anonymous source.
    And I think you may want to rethink that analogy as the inner workings of a software company are hardly on par for public interest as skulduggery connected to a sitting president. Thinly veiled comments or snide jokes sure as fuck didn't take someone like Harvey Weinstein down. It was someone with the guts enough to publicly denounce the creep so the rest of the industry was forced to act instead of leaving his repugnant behavior the open secret it had been for decades.

Those of you who work in the industry and hate the way its being run, I see it as you have two choices, let this shit continue or finally have the balls to stand up for yourselves. Or is it just possible that the reason no one has is because conditions aren't really that bad and all the anonymous sniping is just a bunch of grouching employees trying to make their bosses look bad, or just someone parroting shit house rumor for the hell of it.
    Falacy of origin. Look it up.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    My take on the CoH closure has always been that NCSoft needed a one time boost to their bottomline, due to Perfect World considering a takeover.  Everyone talked about it being a surprise, and it took place right at the end of a fiscal quarter.  

It was self reported by the Paragon Studios devs at the time that they were working on two projects for NCSoft, hence the large studio size.  

Given NCSoft's crooked behavior with Richard Garriott and Tabula Rasa, (pointedly not referenced in the 'rumorz'?),  no reason to require them being wronged to explain their behavior.
    Exactly. And no matter what one thinks of Richard Garriott (personally don't like him, almost every video he focuses and brags about all his junk he shows off and how he USED to be such a big deal in the industry like someone washed up would say)...HOWEVER..

Richard Garriot won in the court of law. That makes NCSoft the guilty party.

And with how NCSoft treated Richard Garriot...it doesn't take much to think how they treat ALL their developers and companies under them. Which is...like trash.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• HalibrandHalibrand Member UncommonPosts: 136
    I'm tired of arguments. I just want to play CoH again.
    ScotBlaze_RockerAmatheDavodtheTutt
  • jeolmanjeolman Member UncommonPosts: 46
    sounds like an NCSOFT shill. bottom line weather true or not. NCsoft treats their customers like shit. And I for one have not given them a cent, since they shut down COH and refused to allow the source and servers to be bought by someone else.
    ArglebargleBlaze_Rocker
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    These things happen. I'm just curious who got the golden parachutes? Seems like a lot of money was wasted.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    Blueliner said:
    Honestly what difference does it make at this point? They are both done and there is nothing that will change that. Maybe we need to start crying about SWG again? /sigh
    Oh I dunno, maybe it has an impact on whether or not people want to spend money on NCSoft games in the future
    ceratop001
  • KarmaInfernoKarmaInferno Member UncommonPosts: 3
    edited September 2018
    Double post, please ignore
    Blaze_Rocker
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    KarmaInferno said: ju
    How do we know the two rebuttal posters are who they say they are.

Even if they are, how do we know they aren't lying? 

What did they offer as the "real" story?

Will the world ever find out how many licks it takes to the center of a "Tootsie Pop?"

;)
    ConstantineMerusceratop001

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Kyleran said:
    KarmaInferno said: ju

Even if they are, how do we know they aren't lying? 

What did they offer as the "real" story?

Will the world ever find out how many licks it takes to the center of a "Tootsie Pop?"

;)
    It really depends on the tongue, ive met girls who wreck a Tootsie Pop
    Blaze_Rockerceratop001
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    itchmon said:

Sandmanjw said:

Agree..i am so sick and tired of this "anonymous" sources being used for "truth" and "the real story" now-a-days.

So much BS. The slow death of any, and all, journalism.

The slow death of journalism because journalists are doing journalism the way they always have?

Anonymous sources are a thing because stories exist that could not be reported any other way.

What makes a good journalist is not that they eschew anonymous sources, but that they corroborate and vet their sources.
    There's an enormous difference between:

1)  a story from anonymous sources who have proof that their claims are true,
    2)  a story from anonymous sources whose identity is known to the journalist but withheld from the public, and could easily be lying, and
    3)  a story from anonymous sources whose identity is not known to the journalists doing the reporting.

Type (1) is totally legitimate journalism.  The validity of the story does not depend on the credibility of the source.  At worst, such a story could be misleading because it misses important context.

Type (2) is much more dubious.  If you're a source in a position to know and you make up some lies that publicly have your name on them, you get discredited pretty quickly.  If you're an anonymous source, then at worst, you may sully your reputation with one news outlet, but can try again in the future with another.  If you pass your claims along through an intermediary, to different journalists working for the same news outlet, or even to the same reporter repeatedly who likes printing your stuff even if sometimes it's wrong, maybe you can get off with getting your lies published in the same place repeatedly.

Type (3) is purely rumor and not news reporting at all.  It was entirely appropriate that when this story was posted on the site, the title started with, "RUMOR: ".  This is the sort of thing that shouldn't be called hard news or verified facts, so the site didn't.
  • PierrenardPierrenard Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Am trying to untherstand here And am not in a mood to read all of you sorry Are they closing the games or not ???
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Am trying to untherstand here And am not in a mood to read all of you sorry Are they closing the games or not ???
    City of Heroes closed a long time ago.  NCSoft recently announced that they are going to close Wildstar.
  • PierrenardPierrenard Member UncommonPosts: 30
    thnx

• MackizarMackizar Member UncommonPosts: 3
    I'm just mad that I saw a big image of the city of heroes logo and the article wasn't about it's return. D: Mad and depressed.
    Blaze_Rocker
  • knightauditknightaudit Member UncommonPosts: 389
    I do not care what the reason for the demise was, I would really like to see CoH/CoV back and running. Given the current Superhero craze ... they really missed a chance to really rake in some cash.
    Blaze_RockerDavodtheTutt
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    I do not care what the reason for the demise was, I would really like to see CoH/CoV back and running. Given the current Superhero craze ... they really missed a chance to really rake in some cash.
    The most bizarre part of this is that COH/COV is without doubt the best Superhero MMO to date. :o
    AmatheTyranusPrimeBlaze_Rockerceratop001DavodtheTutt
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Kyleran said:

Dude, someone said it on the internet. It's gotta be true.
    Blaze_Rockerceratop001

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• HellscreamHellscream Member UncommonPosts: 98
    edited September 2018
    I really wish city of heroes came back like NCsoft re-did the game themselves or rehired a new dev team that they could actually trust if this is really true. It's a shame how hard it is to find honest people these days and how those that screw up and do dumb things ruin it for everyone. So many people are being controlled and blinded by money. Yeah you can buy anything with money but you cant buy love and you certainly cant buy good honest people either that's for sure.
    Blaze_Rocker
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    edited September 2018
    Yeah that comment was countered by an actual dev.  This was already posted
    Blaze_Rocker
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    Torval said:
    Quizzical said:
    City of Heroes closed a long time ago.  NCSoft recently announced that they are going to close Wildstar.
    Just to put that in perspective, they've closed about 1 game per year for the last 10 years.
    Presumably they are not making one game a year? So they are having to buy other gaming studios to shut their games down?