Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lost Ark Will Launch on November 7th in South Korea - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageLost Ark Will Launch on November 7th in South Korea - MMORPG.com

Smilegate recently held an event to announce the release of the South Korean open beta for Lost Ark. The game will be available to Korean players beginning on November 7th. Smilegate has been working on Lost Ark for seven years, spending nearly $90M USD.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    edited September 2018
    I find it strange that after watching a gameplay trailer, I still have no idea what's going on, or what this game is about. Edit: Just realized I had only watched the first half of the trailer. Thought it had ended, but the 2nd half was much more interesting.
    Post edited by mcrippins on
    FrodoFraginsMensurThahar
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Lost Ark is one ARPG, but with more MMORPG-like features. It has several completely different themes on its dungeons and all but overall it follows the same type of play and story-telling.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    edited September 2018
    well that's good news imo and I look forward to hearing reviews of endgame.  But who knows how long it will take to make it to the West.

I know nothing about localization but I'm sometimes shocked at how long it takes to make it to english.
    Post edited by FrodoFragins on
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Good news. I really hope that they would do a console port. 
    Asch126
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,846

well that's good news imo and I look forward to hearing reviews of endgame.  But who knows how long it will take to make it to the West.

I know nothing about localization but I'm sometimes shocked at how long it takes to make it to english.

If we're lucky I would expect NA to get it around late 2020 or early 2021.

It will go to China first then Russia because they dont care about what state the game launches in.

They wont think about bringing it to NA until the endgame is fully fleshed out and the game is bug free because thats what we demand from all games. Otherwise, it will flop like a fish on land.

But, since its been worked on for so long it has a good endgame currently.
    Kwestorek1
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Unreal Engine 3 is kind of weird though, and a bit worrisome. MMOCulture said that nothing was mentioned about upgrading to UE4 during the presentation. :/
    ConstantineMerusJeffSpicoliThaharMrMelGibson

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

SBFord said:
    Unreal Engine 3 is kind of weird though, and a bit worrisome. MMOCulture said that nothing was mentioned about upgrading to UE4 during the presentation. :/
    They been modifying 3 for so long that hardly one upgrade is worth it over just upgrading what they already have. Lost Ark has a hell lot of content already created for it so it likely would push the game beyond timeframes they're willing to afford.

We already see 7 years and 90 million as it is.
    Xiaoki said:

If we're lucky I would expect NA to get it around late 2020 or early 2021.

It will go to China first then Russia because they dont care about what state the game launches in.

They wont think about bringing it to NA until the endgame is fully fleshed out and the game is bug free because thats what we demand from all games. Otherwise, it will flop like a fish on land.

But, since its been worked on for so long it has a good endgame currently.
    Hmm, that will probably be far too late for me.  Hopefully the renamed Lineage Eternal, and maybe the next diablo, are out before then in the West.  That's probably doubtful as well since Korean games need a lot of rework to be viable in the West.
    SBFord said:
    They've apparently done a lot of rework to the engine to get eh most out of it.  I'm sure porting is non trivial and they have bigger priorities like finally releasing it and making it attractive to western players.
    SBFordMrMelGibson
  • DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432

SBFord said:

It is 3? Well that makes me hopeful.

UE4 is still basically a beta and still Vert- scaling by default, so those of us on 21:9 (or wider) displays basically can't play any UE4 game unless the developers change the scaling method during development (very rare).

UE3 can be changed just fine via an .ini edit (in 4 it screws up a lot of things).. though from an Asian game I expect the config files to be encrypted or even registry based, as that seems standard for their attempts to get 'anti-cheat' into the game (however futile).

Still, hope this hits NA soon. All too common to see Asian games delay for years upon years before coming over to the west and looking/feeling dated on release.
    DAOWAce said:
    It is 3? Well that makes me hopeful.

UE4 is still basically a beta and still Vert- scaling by default, so those of us on 21:9 (or wider) displays basically can't play any UE4 game unless the developers change the scaling method during development (very rare).

UE3 can be changed just fine via an .ini edit (in 4 it screws up a lot of things).. though from an Asian game I expect the config files to be encrypted or even registry based, as that seems standard for their attempts to get 'anti-cheat' into the game (however futile).

Still, hope this hits NA soon. All too common to see Asian games delay for years upon years before coming over to the west and looking/feeling dated on release.
    Actually, UE 3 is known for being a nightmare for MMO's, specifically the horrible performance that is why so many are concerned those issues will also haunt this title.

Using it also got the game dated in several fronts that they had to work out, but there are still noticeable bits such as conversations there's no mouth or facial animations it's all things that started with that dated engine but weren't upgraded yet to current standards.
    JeffSpicoliSBFord
  • ShinobeShinobe Member UncommonPosts: 91
    Let me guess they will ruin it for the "Western" market with cash shop, something like just able to enter dungeons once a day OR you buy an item in the shop. Or to upgrade your gear you need XYZ Item from the shop etc. The same stuff they did with RoI, Bless and tons of other games.
    Shinobe said:
    Let me guess they will ruin it for the "Western" market with cash shop, something like just able to enter dungeons once a day OR you buy an item in the shop. Or to upgrade your gear you need XYZ Item from the shop etc. The same stuff they did with RoI, Bless and tons of other games.
    I bet their current end game design is already considered trash by western players anyway.  But I will be watching videos and such reviewing the game as a whole.

They do have POE as a guide for what works in a shop in the West.  Although I doubt they'll have the need for so much currency and crap that fills stash slots.
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,512
    I hate watching KR games- Knowing I will never play them or atleast will have to wait years just to try,
    Panther2103

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• NirimetusNirimetus Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Watch this turn into another Mu Legends.... Like many others "KOREAN MMO"....

I already gave up on those guys, Tree of Savior was promised to be different from what it is today, I was really hyped about it since I played the first CBT, because the game had potential to be good, but it fell flat into KR marketing mode.

I don't doubt this will turn out the same.
    reemuel05
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited September 2018
    Looks terrible... imo..

I dont know if this will ever make Western Shores , im not sure they can recoup the near 100 mill spent to make it, probly will cause korean market is crazy , but i wont be surprised to hear it shuttering 1 year from now
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    DMKano said:
    The upside - it's the most polished of the korean MMO+ARPG hybrids.

the downside - it's yet another korean mmo+arpg hybrid - all of them have failed so far.

If this game released about 3 years ago - it would have been amazing, but after seeing project TL announcement trailer - suddenly Lost Ark looks instantly old and done.

Video Game business is cruel like that, as soon as the newer and shinier thing is out - masses lose interest in the old game fast, shame that's happening to Lost Ark before it even launched as TL is the new shiny, and Lost Ark quickly fell from "the one" to "another temp game until..."

Now the reality is always that Lost Ark simply turns out to be a better game and TL tanks - so that's a distinct possibility - time will tell.

I will still play the korean launch as Lost Ark does have a lot of content - so it is worth a playthrough for sure, just I have a really bad feeling about the typical BS end game grind that all of these korean MMO-ARPG seem to have in great abundance. 
    By project TL, do you mean Torchlight Frontiers? If so, I agree that it is a more potentially exciting game than Lost Ark.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    The second half was good. The creatures look amazing and the water battle was also interesting.
    Chamber of Chains
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    I will try it when it comes out but these top down / iso ARPGs are just not really my thing anymore.
    Signex
  • DiscipledOneDiscipledOne Member UncommonPosts: 103
    I had basically forgot about it.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    DMKano said:
    Aeander said:
    DMKano said:
    The upside - it's the most polished of the korean MMO+ARPG hybrids.

the downside - it's yet another korean mmo+arpg hybrid - all of them have failed so far.

If this game released about 3 years ago - it would have been amazing, but after seeing project TL announcement trailer - suddenly Lost Ark looks instantly old and done.

Video Game business is cruel like that, as soon as the newer and shinier thing is out - masses lose interest in the old game fast, shame that's happening to Lost Ark before it even launched as TL is the new shiny, and Lost Ark quickly fell from "the one" to "another temp game until..."

Now the reality is always that Lost Ark simply turns out to be a better game and TL tanks - so that's a distinct possibility - time will tell.

I will still play the korean launch as Lost Ark does have a lot of content - so it is worth a playthrough for sure, just I have a really bad feeling about the typical BS end game grind that all of these korean MMO-ARPG seem to have in great abundance. 
    By project TL, do you mean Torchlight Frontiers? If so, I agree that it is a more potentially exciting game than Lost Ark.
    No I mean "Project TL" - NcSoft's upcoming MMO+ARPG - you can skip to 1:10 mark to see the actual gameplay.

Isn't that just the repurposed foundation of the failed Lineage Eternal? It looks promising, but it's not even a proof of concept yet. 
  • NirimetusNirimetus Member UncommonPosts: 34
    It does remember LE, they probably remade(?), at this point I'm not sure tho.

Then again, it's a waste of time base your expectations in a promo video, while it does look like the game play footage, from here to the actual thing being playable have a long road, and at that point in future the game would probably look like any other KR ARPG out there.

I remember the same hype about B&S and in the end, turned out another generic MMO with some extra effects.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

From the brief time I was able to play it the game was....decent? Not amazing just decent. 
    No one has done mmoarpg right yet and this one is trying but even after a brief time with it I am still doubtful.

I still plan to play the crap out of the game in the Korean open beta though =)

Gives us a review when ya get some more time in Blue , i love ARPGs ... but after watching several vids , this is not doing it for me ...
    Nirimetus said:
    Watch this turn into another Mu Legends.... Like many others "KOREAN MMO"....

I already gave up on those guys, Tree of Savior was promised to be different from what it is today, I was really hyped about it since I played the first CBT, because the game had potential to be good, but it fell flat into KR marketing mode.

I don't doubt this will turn out the same.
    Devilian and Mu Legends have completely soured me on Korean ARPGs.  But I still hold out hope for some reason because the genre is scant when it comes to server based games.
  • timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Convenience items... then mentions time-savers and ressurection feathers? Woot?
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED