Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Noob Developers.

GravebladeGraveblade Member UncommonPosts: 547
edited September 2018 in General Gaming
It annoys me how pathetic so many developers have become... so many focus on graphics over gameplay mechanics and features. You would have thought that with the advancement in technology that perhaps we would get more full featured games, even games with MORE features than in the past, and a much better understanding of making fun games as the industry progresses. Also why are there so so many games out there that are loved by so many but are never remade for the modern era (not necessarily a pure remake but a game with similar mechanics and features).

Jedi Knight
An example of this could be Jedi Knight. Why on earth would you not make another, but modern, Jedi Knight. It's a game so many people loved! The entire premise of it is what people want and enjoyed. FFA, team based battles, arena, 1v1 duals etc, proper saber battles and also included guns with fps. Those games actually had really great combat systems with multiple saber moves, special moves, different combat stances that you could switch on the fly, single, dual and double sided lightsabers, light and dark force powers, multiple game modes...

Alien vs Predator 2
Lets take another example. Aliens vs predator 2. (and the perfect example of a fail with the newer avp games).
AvP2 has multiple game modes. Hunt, survival, tdm, dm, overrun and evac. Multiple different aliens to pick with different stats, different types of predators with different weapon sets. It even included two types of humans, marines and corps, so you could actually have proper human vs human fps battles. You even had stuff like evolution where you evolve as you kill as an alien to become a queen... I mean... it blows current games features out of the water by a long shot.

Planetside 1
Look at planetside 1 compared to planetside 2. There were sooooo many more features in that game compared to the second on release, I don't even need to go any further with that, it just doesn't compare in the slightest.

City of Heroes
The character customization of this game destroyed nearly all other games.

Dark age of Camelot
The amount of classes you could be in this game was huge, and 3 different factions to boot. If this was a modern game, there would be half the classes per faction.

Honestly though I could go on and on... I am a big salty butthurt oldschool gamer who misses having full featured rich games with multiple game modes, multiple classes, great combat systems... I don't give a shit about the shadows and lighting. It's lovely, but it's not really the point of a "Game". A game requires good "game play" and strong features.

Give me games with tons of features! :/
Started playing mmorpg's in 1996 and have been hooked ever since. It began with Kingdom of Drakkar, Ultima Online, Everquest, DAoC, WoW...
NorseGodGdemami

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited September 2018
    One simple answer.

The people who finance the creation of games aren't convinced resurrecting old school ideas and designs will very profitable, nothing more than this really.
    RobsolfAlBQuirky[Deleted User]Octagon7711ConstantineMerus[Deleted User]SBFordcraftseekerJeffSpicoliPanther2103and 4 others.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GravebladeGraveblade Member UncommonPosts: 547
    Kyleran said:
    One simple answer.

The people who finance the creation of games aren't convinced resurrecting old school ideas and designs will very profitable, nothing more than this really.
    They are idiots then who don't understand what makes a good "Game". Those types of things I mentioned are not about it being "old" or about it being bad to resurrect some of these old designs. People have reinvented chess, checkers and monopoly for decades and they are still loved.

The very premise of those games is what people loved about it. People want to be the jedi or sith and run around battling others with an in-depth combat system where you can run up walls and do spinning special moves and such.

They want an aliens vs predator where you can be different kinds of aliens or predators, Survival mode was fun as hell.

I just don't believe at all that the fundamental ideas for the gameplay, theme and features of those game can't be carried over and be successful in the modern era. In fact, I think they would be a monster hit if actually done well just like the old ones.
    Gdemami
    Started playing mmorpg's in 1996 and have been hooked ever since. It began with Kingdom of Drakkar, Ultima Online, Everquest, DAoC, WoW...
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    This is why I don't want an Anarchy Online 2.

I want Funcom to re-release Anarchy Online, exactly as is (minus a few balance issues), onto a new engine with modern graphics. That's it.

Do I need modern graphics for AO? No. But, I know it would bring in a ton of players.

Can you imagine how much money they could make from cash shop customizing characters and vehicles, alone? 

I think that's why people still play it after 17 years. I have made countless characters, leveled them up. Geared them up. Then delete them to make a new one and do it all over again. I like the thought that goes into twinking. Oh the twinking. Hours and hours of getting ql 150 gear on a lvl 25 character.

I'm sitting in ICC right now deciding if I should roll an Opi Shade or Atrox or both.

ScorchienScotGdemami
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
     I am a big salty butthurt oldschool gamer who misses having full featured rich games with multiple game modes, multiple classes, great combat systems...

Well at least you admit it!  ;) 

I feel the sentiment, though.  And Kyleran explains the biggest reason, in my view.  I'd also add that cranking up the graphics on a game is one of the least expensive and more predictable results based things you can do to a game, and that's also why they do it.  That's why companies are going back and doing graphic revamps of their previous hit games instead of making new ones.  Seeing as how they aren't even charging people who originally bought the game, it should be pretty clear how cheap the process is.

Anyhoo... compare a nicer look to something like settlement building in Fallout 4, where it was almost universally panned.  Sure, it seems like Bthsda is doubling down on that in Fallout 76, but they did end up dumping a bunch of development time in FO4 for a feature that most people couldn't really care less about in that game. 

So often, I've seen a "feature" actually bog down a game that would be far better without it.  At the risk of aging myself, "Asteroids Deluxe" was ANYTHING but deluxe compared to the original.

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    I'm going to bring up WoW.

Yes I know we all have a Love, Hate relationship with WoW, weather it's we Love to Hate it, Hate that was Love it, in any case.

If you look at WoW's affect, you will see that previously, and also during it's early time, MMO's were really breaking apart in directions. I mean there was a kinds of MMO's all kinds of styles, choices, and features were great. WoW simplified the process, took off like a rocket. Every Publisher from there On, got Stars in theirs Eyes for those WoW bucks.

But as opposed to making something new to combat WoW, they just copied it, because nothing makes you more money and keeps you competitive then copying someone else's successful idea, with no understanding why their idea worked, and nothing makes big bucks like saturating a market with these cheap knock-offs.

Anyway.. so.. Well.. much like MOBA Craze, and The Fortnight Craze, and everything else that has been bandwagoned to death.. don't expect anything really great.. till great sells again.

Sorry. 
    Kyleran
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    City of Heroes
    The character customization of this game destroyed nearly all other games.

Not the best 'noob dev' example, since a few years later Cyptic made CO which has an even better character customization system. FreeForm simply blows the Powerset-based setup out of the water. Then with STO (ship building and swapping at will, Officer training and swapping, etc.) they went a bit even further.
    Visually as well, CO's cosmetic system has way more options and freedom CoH had, and in STO you can use that system on your officers as well.

True though, that with Neverwinter they took a step back in both aspects, visually it is more strict (pre-built faces, a handful of options on most areas), and build-wise you don't have too much variety within the selected class. Still a fun game, but not as good for theory-crafters as CO and STO.
    NorseGod said:
    I want Funcom to re-release Anarchy Online, exactly as is (minus a few balance issues), onto a new engine with modern graphics. That's it.
    After what happened with TSW, I rather want them to stay away from AO and leave it on the safe and sound maintenance mode.
    Re-releasing the old game on the current market wouldn't bring too much to the table, and they are too cheap to spend even a dime for such a low income. If you check the latest reports, they are usually talking only about the IP of AO, not the game itself.
    I guess if they will do anything with AO, that will be a lame action-game, maybe standalone, maybe with some minimal online part.
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    Kyleran said:
    One simple answer.

They are idiots then who don't understand what makes a good "Game".
    I agree.
    The gaming industry in particular relies too much on Market research, which kills developers creativity.

Having said that, most investors need to rely on Market research to minimize the risks on their investments, that's how business works.

Do I like it?
    Absolutely not, but isn't anything new.
    The best games (classics) have been made by indie developers (which became big after the success of their game).
    It's been always like that and always will be.

Don't expect AAA publishers to finance niche segments or innovative games.
    Indies are the way to go.

ScotAlBQuirkyUngoodGdemami
  • Kain_DaleKain_Dale Member UncommonPosts: 378
    Path of Exile-  Not great Graphic but gameplay and skill is better.  Yet so successful.
    Graveblade

Kain_Dale

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    Apart from the sideswipe at developers I do agree with the OP, it is just more nuanced than he suggests. His examples in particular show something I was talking about the other day, the loss of features in MMOs and what have we got for that? I just mentioned housing and player based economies, raids and the need to group sometime. DAOC RvR, the CC in COH, the list of good design features sacrificed on the altar of top notch graphics and easymode play just goes on and on.

But this more about the change to big business for MMOs and indeed gaming as a whole. I don't doubt developers have big ideas that get crushed for the sake of budget and marketing principles. As the old CEO of EA said, "I want my developers to be thinking of budget even before they come up with an idea". Well that was the gist of what he said anyway, and EA shows this in its board of directors as well:

http://investor.ea.com/directors.cfm

I think only one maybe two of them has either a gaming background or computing background. This creates a company that is churning out new games like Hovis churns out bread; originality, experiments, anything too new need not apply.

TEKK3NGdemami
    Kain_Dale said:
    Path of Exile-  Not great Graphic but gameplay and skill is better.  Yet so successful.
    There is no shortage of developers trying to create the next great ARPG, proving the point they are chasing the success of recent titles/genres and not interested in recreating Jedi Knight or COH style games.

ConstantineMerusRobsolf

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• cielyciely Member UncommonPosts: 124
    korean developers definitely spends all their budget on cinematic trailers and graphics then fail even in their own country lol

sudden attack 2 trailer - this game shut down within 3 weeks of release nexon oversexualized the girl characters then ended up having to remove the two characters for inappropriate exposures.

if anyone want to see the female characters, people would actually suicide near each other to take videos lol the sad part about this game is that they didn't improve graphic wise besides character model and claims to have spent 27 million dollars on it.  B)

Scot said:

But this more about the change to big business for MMOs and indeed gaming as a whole. I don't doubt developers have big ideas that get crushed for the sake of budget and marketing principles. As the old CEO of EA said, "I want my developers to be thinking of budget even before they come up with an idea". Well that was the gist of what he said anyway, and EA shows this in its board of directors as well:

I just want to add to this.

This is how every big corporation works (unfortunately).
    Big corporations are NEVER innovators, unless their founder is still in it (Steve Jobs, Elon Musk, Richard Branson).
    When is the last time Microsoft created a ground breaking product?
    Since Windows and Office, 20 or something years ago, there is the desert.
    What about Blizzard?
    They created/mainstreamed RTS (Warcraft), Arpgs (Diablo), Themepark MMORPGs (WoW).
    After WoW, their creativity flew out of the window.
    They started making games for new trends (created by others) and marketed it, and yes they are doing ok.

But that's understandable.
    When you have investors with no gaming background, you have to present them solid numbers when you invest in a new game, numbers which only marketing can supply.
    'Gut feelings' do not go down very well in shareholders meetings.

For innovation we have to rely on the Elon Musks of this world and less on the Microsoft/Blizzard type corporations.
    Marketing is here to stay, it's part of our lives.
    Fortunately there is an Elon Musk waiting at every corner, gaming is no exception.

ScotGdemami
    TEKK3N said:
    Scot said:

I just want to add to this.

This is how every big corporation works (unfortunately).
    Big corporations are NEVER innovators, unless their founder is still in it (Steve Jobs, Elon Musk, Richard Branson).
    When is the last time Microsoft created a ground breaking product?
    Since Windows and Office, 20 or something years ago, there is the desert.
    What about Blizzard?
    They created/mainstreamed RTS (Warcraft), Arpgs (Diablo), Themepark MMORPGs (WoW).
    After WoW, their creativity flew out of the window.
    They started making games for new trends (created by others) and marketed it, and yes they are doing ok.

But that's understandable.
    When you have investors with no gaming background, you have to present them solid numbers when you invest in a new game, numbers which only marketing can supply.
    'Gut feelings' do not go down very well in shareholders meetings.

For innovation we have to rely on the Elon Musks of this world and less on the Microsoft/Blizzard type corporations.
    Marketing is here to stay, it's part of our lives.
    Fortunately there is an Elon Musk waiting at every corner, gaming is no exception.

Apparently we need CEOs that smoke weed in order to get some corporate innovation. 

;)

ConstantineMerusRobsolf

edited September 2018
    Kyleran said:
    TEKK3N said:

Apparently we need CEOs that smoke weed in order to get some corporate innovation. 

;)

Why not?
    Better than all the 'beancounters' CEOs who snort cocaine 24/7 in secret, while banging 5 prostitues at a time, while their wives and kids are home alone.

But anyway Elon doesn't smoke weed, if you watch the whole podcast, he clearly said he never smokes stuff.
    He did it because "why not?".

Yes, we need this kind of people who do not give a fuck about what the other people think of him and are willing to lose $3 Billion stock value in a day just to prove his point.
    That's the basics of creativity, you don't go with the herd.
    It's the other way round, you create, they follow.

A Business man who manufacture and sell Flamethrowers for the Lulz?
    Yes we need this kind of people.

Gdemami
  • some-clueless-guysome-clueless-guy Member UncommonPosts: 227
    As a layman I get the impression that a game either is a Hit and makes a lot of money or it is a never-ending struggle to keep afloat. Shroud comes to mind: they had the "niche" audience as a target from the get go, now the challenge seems to be proving that more than 10k players log in.

I am interested in seeing how Camelot Unchained ends up doing — I would be following it even were I not planning to play it, just because it's a direct contradiction to the marketing-driven development we have been seeing for the past decade(s).
    DMKano said:
    Ah here we have an OP where he genuinely believes that he has it all figured out, without actually understanding the current challenges of MMO development.

I preferred P1 to P2, I loved DAoC - still the best RvR game to date etc.... I am an old school gamer at heart, but I am also painfully aware that I am part of a tiny minority in the global video gamer playerbase

The issue with today's games are not noob developers - that is an poor conclusion. The issue is that it's a money driven industry, and old school games just dont have that huge profit potential. 

For example - Today's developers can totally recreate DAoC - but when you are working on projects that cost 10s of millions of dollars over 3-5 years of work - profitability is a KEY factor.

Look at the most profitable games today - do they have much of anything in common with gen1 mmorpgs - especially when you consider pace of gameplay and length of gameplay sessions.

They dont - so as a business person who wanted to invest $50 million into a video game project - what style of game would your money best be invested into?

The reality is this - what old school gamers want is simply not in line with what's massively profitable today.

Ah, a typical poster who thinks he has it all figured out, however, completely obscures the real point at hand. I am going to the root point of what modern games are lacking with my post and what the people desire, not what a business desires, I don't give a crap what a business desires especially considering it is the reason the quality of products goes down in so many industry's. I am 100% aware of the money required for these types of projects... You seem to take a condescending stance, likely thinking I am an emotional idiot and then just simply pander to the most obvious sheeple answer.

Again you see, I am talking about what people want, not what the people doing risk assessment for a business want.

Calling them "noob" developers is an exaggeration on purpose, to point out that I think that features make a game far more than a lot of developers seem to think, I think a lot of developers miss the point of the psychology of what makes a good game... The actual "game" as opposed to things like graphics. People don't play board games, card games etc for the graphics, they play them because the actualy games mechanics are fun whether thats a video game or a board game.

This is imo why there was a bit of an explosion of indie games who actually come out with games that have great features and they have done very well, take the explosion of roguelikes for example.

The fact is that games can certainly be created with great feature sets of the old games. I say these developers are "idiots" because they think it won't be profitable, however, I think a lot of them definitely would be. In the current climate, practically all games nowadays release either feature incomplete or with a great lack of features in general. Game features are not something that only "older" gamers like... It's something that ALL gamers WANT.

I truly believe that if they released a full featured rich game like jedi knight in this day and age with good graphics, people would be blown away and it would be successful.

There are plenty of business that take risks with millions at stake in all different subject areas. Don't sit there and say "yeah but it costs lots of money, it's hard and risky!". The kind of people that make an excuse and say that never innovated in their life, or, they cut corners and don't make a best product that they can.  There are developers out there that do take the stance I am talking about... CD Projekt Red for example seem to go all out and try to make good feature rich games.
    Gdemami
    edited September 2018
    Scot said:
    Apart from the sideswipe at developers I do agree with the OP, it is just more nuanced than he suggests. His examples in particular show something I was talking about the other day, the loss of features in MMOs and what have we got for that? I just mentioned housing and player based economies, raids and the need to group sometime. DAOC RvR, the CC in COH, the list of good design features sacrificed on the altar of top notch graphics and easymode play just goes on and on.

http://investor.ea.com/directors.cfm

I think only one maybe two of them has either a gaming background or computing background. This creates a company that is churning out new games like Hovis churns out bread; originality, experiments, anything too new need not apply.

Haha yeah I did exaggerate it a little on purpose to make the point that I think they are missing the main point of making any creative project. The risk assessment is off, and this is probably due to the fact that risk assessment is a structured logical way to assess, yet this is not what creates great products, it only hampers it.

EA is a good example of a company who is pretty much just a pure business model right now. It is so so far from being a company that makes creative projects for the joy of creating something meaningful. Sure it might be meaningful for individuals who work on the projects, but go any higher up the pyramid and it's just business. It is such a shame.

This is ofcourse not news though, anyone who has been playing games for a while knows of this machine. I just think it's interesting to point out just how much  older games had far far more features when in theory, newer games should if anything have MORE features than they used to, but the opposite is in fact true.
    GdemamiScot

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

If there are any actual developers here it would be interesting to know... Do companies actually create reusable systems for different game features, or usually program from scratch. It seems to me that the plan of most developers is to create from scratch very often (usually using an already established engine ofcourse, not literally from scratch :P ).

Would it not be incredibly useful to basically build game systems into modules instead of literally per project, so that you can essentially reuse for different projects and develop faster.

This would result in games being more and more feature rich as systems would be easier to implement.
    Gdemami

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    If there are any actual developers here it would be interesting to know... Do companies actually create reusable systems for different game features, or usually program from scratch. It seems to me that the plan of most developers is to create from scratch very often (usually using an already established engine ofcourse, not literally from scratch :P ).

Would it not be incredibly useful to basically build game systems into modules instead of literally per project, so that you can essentially reuse for different projects and develop faster.

This would result in games being more and more feature rich as systems would be easier to implement.
    Well, I think Blue Turtle is a Developer and DMKano has something to do with the game industry (developer?).

I think, from what I've seen on these boards over the years, using a specific game engine can streamline development but reusing assets would probably be a big "no-no" for major things.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

SOE/Daybreak does that with Forgelight.
    EA does that too, they use their Frostbyte engine from FPS to Sports games.

In general big developers/publishers do that.
    They develop an Engine that can be used for a wide variety of games so they can minimize costs and cut developing time.

Problem with small developers is that an Engine has a sell by date, and since they have only a small team that can develop one game at a time, by the time their game is out, their Engine is already out of date.
    So they have to start from scratch for the new game.

That's why third party Engines are getting increasingly more popular.
    Problem is that building games with third party engines, it's not as easy as it might look.
    It's of course a compromise, of course. Ideally you always want to build your own engine which is tailored to your game, but it is not always time/cost efficient.

We use a modular approach with the UE and have for some time. The issue with that though is that works well if you are making the same kind of game over and over again. 
    We used the same A.I. logic program for Heavenly Sword as we did for Enslaved. We also reused many art streaming technologies for fidelity and sound.
    The idea though is to build technology around a game not a game around technology, if that makes sense.  
    Even with a modular design approach, which many teams use, it is not as simple as plug and play. 
    Thanks very much for the info.

I am particularly thinking along the lines of reuse and modify for the case at hand as opposed to a pure reuse. 

Yep that makes sense about build technology around a game as opposed to a game around technology. This does however kind of go against the principles of reuse and modular systems in programming to some extent.

Surely if strong foundations for reuse, but with the ability to openly modify, would only be positive for development productivity in the long run. Perhaps the task is a bit too long term for most developers to invest money and time into?

You do get this kind of thing in areas such as web development where projects are usually a lot smaller scale.