Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Concerns with race

Torin_KhaosTorin_Khaos Member UncommonPosts: 18
Now i love to tank and i get that in this game how i love to tank is totally up to me.

What concerns me is race. I also like to make my character look the way i want them to ( Generally human) but im wondering is am i going to have to be a huge rock man to be able to tank if i want to see end game content or will any race assume any role effectively with the right skills / gear / know how. Dont get me wrong i dont expect to be the best just not be the guy stuck waiting for a group because im not the right race for 90% of the content.

Comments

• RenfailRenfail Member EpicPosts: 1,638
    While each race will have racial flavors that give them slight pros/cons compared to each other, the impact it has on what is the "best" race for a given playstyle (we can't say "classes" as we don't have them; it's skill-based), such as tanking, is entirely based on personal preference. 

Everyone loved to say that the ONLY way to raid tank in EQ1 was to be a troll/ogre, but we had a wood-elf main tank for around five years and he did just fine with the content. 

You only have to worry about min/max if you are going to join a min/max guild. There are THOUSANDS of other guilds to think about...roleplay guilds, casual guilds, M/W/F guilds, T/Th/Sat guilds, EST guilds, PST guilds, Oceanic guilds, etc. etc. etc. 

It'll matter even LESS in Volume I as you can ONLY be a Human; Dwearhe, Elenhi, and Eldeni don't unlock until we bring magic into the game in Volume II. There's at least two years of gameplay before we even get to the launch of the expansion. 

At the end of the day, any race/role/skillset/gear/knowhow will be able to accomplish 100% of the things to see/do in the game. However, due to how min/maxers play, you can all but gaurantee that some unspoken rule will spring up over time that "you can only tank if you are a Dwearhe" and "you an only be a caster if you roll Elenhi/Eldeni". 

That shit is for the birds. Play what you want to play. That's the beauty of a roleplaying game. 
    AmatheConstantineMerusGdemami
    Tim "Renfail" Anderson | Wandering Hermits Patreon
  • Torin_KhaosTorin_Khaos Member UncommonPosts: 18
    edited September 2018
    trust me i play for fun not headaches. honestly the biggest attraction so far is the no pvp ( which means no toxic pvp player base) and the fact the lady and i can work with a couple friends to accomplish some cool stuff.  
    Renfaildelete5230
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    If you're going to be in a server first progression guild, they probably have some notion of what a "best" tank is.

For anything else, as long as you can do your job decently, it won't matter.

I say this because that is how it always is.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    What does a Dwearhe, Elenhi, and Eldeni look like? Will they be in the game at launch, just not playable? Might be kind of bland if all of the NPCs are humans. 
    --------------------------------------------
    The Dwearhe + Elenhi / Eldeni will be in the game at launch, but not playable. The goal of Volume I is to roleplay the part of humans who have no access to magic and deal with that weakness, while facing the growing threat that forces you to then seek out the Elder races and "bring magic back" to the realm of humans, at which point you will then unlock the Elder races for play in Volume II (along with having access to magic and our Adept/Master system). 
    WellspringScorchien
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited September 2018
    Hey Renfail , Welcome back from your trip , looked like you and your team had a lot of fun , Thx for the updates and pics from it ...

Do you have any idea on a more accessible testing periods yet for SoL?

Post edited by Scorchien on
    Scorchien said:
    Hey Renfail , Welcome back from your trip , looked like you and your team had a lot of fun , Thx for the updates and pics from it ...

Technically still not back yet =P Just got back in off the lake; heading off to the next leg of our trip tomorrow (not back in the home office until late on the 26th). 

No new info atm :) We'll have a newsletter coming out late September/early October with the dates for R11 and R12. 

Stay tuned!
    Amathe
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited September 2018
    Renfail said:
    Scorchien said:

Technically still not back yet =P Just got back in off the lake; heading off to the next leg of our trip tomorrow (not back in the home office until late on the 26th). 

No new info atm :) We'll have a newsletter coming out late September/early October with the dates for R11 and R12. 

Stay tuned!
    Ahh nice have fun will keep an eye out for more stuff from your trip ..

And looking forward to newsletter

Ohhhh Dam just saw that breakfasts pic ... Wow ...that looks really good
  • RPGForeverRPGForever Member UncommonPosts: 131
    trust me i play for fun not headaches. honestly the biggest attraction so far is the no pvp ( which means no toxic pvp player base) and the fact the lady and i can work with a couple friends to accomplish some cool stuff.  
    Not having toxic PVP players is precisely what caught my eye on this game.
    bcbully

• TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    Renfail said:
    The Dwearhe + Elenhi / Eldeni will be in the game at launch, but not playable. The goal of Volume I is to roleplay the part of humans who have no access to magic and deal with that weakness, while facing the growing threat that forces you to then seek out the Elder races and "bring magic back" to the realm of humans, at which point you will then unlock the Elder races for play in Volume II (along with having access to magic and our Adept/Master system). 
    Excellent game design IMO.
    Adding magic to a game takes a lot of time of development, testing and balancing.

Launching with no magic is a clever shortcut, as it gives the chance to play the game sooner and it gives more time to implement magic.

There is no need to shoot for Mars, the Moon should be the first step.
    TEKK3N said:
    Renfail said:
    Excellent game design IMO.
    Adding magic to a game takes a lot of time of development, testing and balancing.

Launching with no magic is a clever shortcut, as it gives the chance to play the game sooner and it gives more time to implement magic.

There is no need to shoot for Mars, the Moon should be the first step.
    It's also a great way for us to get all of our core systems implemented and working properly and a couple of years of live service under our belt before we ramp up for the "big leagues" of adding additional races + a complex magic system into the mix :) 

As it stands now, we'll be fairly similar to an early EverQuest system; the concept of running around in banded armor until you are 50, and then replacing that with a few pieces of magic gear (relic armor in our game), while using charge-based magical items that allow players to simulate being a caster. 

It's complex, but not overly complex, and it's an easy way to tier our progress up. Moon to Mars, indeed. 
    AmatheMikeha