Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Boundless Review - A Unique & Often Satisfying Experience - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageBoundless Review - A Unique & Often Satisfying Experience - MMORPG.com

Sandbox MMO’s are always an interesting genre to dive into. Many aspects of this genre can be found in other genres; building, survival, economy, and combat to name a few. However when mashed together on a massive scale where the only real narrative is governed by the players that inhabit said world, it creates a unique and on occasion, satisfying experience.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

ceratop001

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Odd. I find easy to get lost a positive in a potential game. I'm intrigued now.
    catofmanyDavodtheTuttThupli
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    'Player built items and buildings can be protected keeping griefing to a minimum'

That sounds good. I am interested in this game it looks interesting.
    BillMurphyJeffSpicoli
    Chamber of Chains
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849

cheyane said:

'Player built items and buildings can be protected keeping griefing to a minimum'

That sounds good. I am interested in this game it looks interesting.

If you get it let us know what you think, I always go with the community opinion first.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    No mention of the ridiculous micro transaction practice? They throw it in your face on the tutorial...THE TUTORIAL!
    Nextrixjarsku85TacticalZombehkenguru23Scot
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Hashbrick said:
    No mention of the ridiculous micro transaction practice? They throw it in your face on the tutorial...THE TUTORIAL!
    "Dear player, do you want to continue with the tutorial? Then please visit the Cash Shop to buy part two."

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Nextrix[Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• JomoraZeroJomoraZero Member CommonPosts: 1
    This game is so much fun! Been playing it for a few weeks now as I was an early access backer. I agree the beginning can be daunting but once you get the hang of it, which shouldn't take long at all, it really shines!

And to the guy above me, the micro-transactions in this game are not pay to win. You use the cubits it gives you to respec your talent tree, get alt characters, and add plots to your land. No micro-transactions translate to an in-game advantage. I am not a fan of micro-transactions at all but I feel like they did it right in this game.
    jarsku85JamesGoblin
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited September 2018
    Good ideas .. but ugly as shit imo.............Thats a Shame

And its not the world its the player models .. just bad imo
    Yoofaloof
  • ScarranScarran Member UncommonPosts: 102
    I checked this one out but the big stumbling block for me is the price. At $39.99 for base version and nearly $60 for the deluxe version, it is way too expensive in comparison to similar style games.

You can get Minecraft for alot cheaper and then you have free games like Creativerse and Trove which all seem similar to this. I just do not see anything special and of AAA quality in this game that warrants it having a price tag that high and within the AAA price range.
    YoofaloofNextrixThupli
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903

So a way to "cheat your advancement" forward with more land plots (which are a leveling reward, and affect which city is the capital of a planet), a few random things that affect your skills (reset are obvious, but "skill set" and "skill cleanse" sounds dirty in an RPG), a monthly subscription that lets you be obnoxious in chat, and the typical cash shop currency packages (all very carefully choosen that there will always be leftovers).

JamesGoblinScot

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    Sounds a lot like what I'm looking for. The graphics seem an improvement over Trove and some others I've seen, although I can see why some would say they are ugly or cartoons. Cartoony doesn't bother me if it's consistent with the rest of the world and the gameplay is good. I might wait until there's a good sale on Steam, though.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    edited September 2018
    Having a blast building stuff.  The community is actually helpful and friendly.  Took some getting used to.  

As for the microtransaction issue.  Haven't spent anything and still able to buy from the 'store' with in game currency.  An overblown issue I think.
    Herdman2402jarsku85JamesGoblin[Deleted User]Maggon

I self identify as a monkey.

• Herdman2402Herdman2402 Member UncommonPosts: 19
    edited September 2018
    This game does have a cash shop. But it is being very misrepresented. 
    Cubits is a rewarded currency used to purchase Plots, Skill Resets, Skill Cleanses, Skill Sets, Character Slots and future character customization. The Cubits are given for leveling and to my knowledge you continue to earn cubits past the Max lvl 50. I also want to mention the game does not show you the cash shop. It shows you the 'exchange'. Which is the level, feat, objective reward system, which gives you xp, coin and cubits.

Some Misconceptions. 

Will this 'cash shop' give people unfair plot 'advantage'? No. There is so much room in this game it would cost less to just purchase the company than to purchase enough plots to take over a planet. I personally have 73 used plots between my characters and enough cubits to purchase 280 plots (lvl 36, lvl 33, lvl 31).  Also the world regenerates so plotting 'resource spots' is pointless as plotted areas do not regenerate.

Will this 'cash shop' prevent you from adding additional Character slots? No. Each character you create also can generate there own cubits. So Earn 600 cubits (Level 6?), Create a new Character, Level up to 6, Create a New Character, Level up to 6 and repeat. You can pretty much unlock all character slots very quickly if you know want to do. 

Will this 'cash shop' lock you out of Skill Resets/Cleanses/Sets? No. You gain 3 cleanses each level and you start with 3 resets. Resets remove all your skills, Cleanses lets you change 1, Skill sets are useless honestly and need to be unable to purchase until lvl 50 (my opinion)

Will this 'cash shop' lock you out of character customization? Depends. How you spend your cubits will be up to you. If you horde plots for some reason than your grinding to look good. If you bad at planning your character and needing to cleanse and reset your skills, your grinding to look good.

Will this 'cash shop' eventually turn into a pay to win cash grab? Maybe. We all know cash shops can lead to some bullshit and developers promise these things wont happen. No difference with this game. Cash shop is in. Developers has promised to not be shady. You can assume the worst as I'm sure many of us have been burned before. In the current state of boundless. The Cubits system is honestly just a continuous reward system for leveling up and if your not insane its more than enough to have a fantastic time.

This is a fantastic game if you like grinding, building, crafting, trading, collaborating. Its a shame the cubits system is poorly talked about by so many.

I can talk about my personal opinions of the game if enough people are interested to know my take on the actual game.
    mgilbrtsnjarsku85JamesGoblinNepheth[Deleted User]Kyleran
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,106
    No such thing as "mmo elements" as mmo only stands for massively multiplayer and online. You meant mmorpg elements. Mmo is a descriptor. Learn your content before posting about it.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    edited September 2018
    This is an amazing game. At first I was sceptical so watched a lot of streams and let's play videos before buying it. Finally bought it yesterday and since then I can't stop playing it. It has beautiful graphics and art style. It is especially breath taking at nights. Music is very good too. Community is amazing. Aaah I'm so glad I bought it. 
    [Deleted User]KyleranHerdman2402
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    I'm definitely checking this out. I'm a rabid diseased addicted gamer. I'm akin to a crackhead but I don't smoke rocks; I smoke keyboards and gaming cards, lol
    [Deleted User]Herdman2402mgilbrtsn

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Cons
    Easy to get lost on occasion

For me, I'm thinking this is actually a "Pro!"
    [Deleted User]KyleranHerdman2402mgilbrtsn
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MaggonMaggon Member UncommonPosts: 360
    I absolutely LOVE this game.

Ive clocked in more than 500 hours since beta, and so far got no reason to actually slow down on that ;p
    Kyleran
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Is there a lot to do for someone who isn't much of a creative builder?

• MaggonMaggon Member UncommonPosts: 360

For sure, I mean if you want to get into the gathering part of the game, then there's absolutely a huge market for that, as specific materials is in pretty high demand.

Everyone wants gems, as they are used for power coils, to provide power for machines to craft higher end items.

Then there's the entire crafting part of it - Like centraforging which allows you to modify any type of gear, bombs can get bigger radius or more damage - Axes and Hammers can get More damage, a light buff so the miner might be able to see in dark caves without having to bring extra torches, or even provide AoE boons to the items from which you can hit multiple blocks, meaning faster mining times etc.

Or you could go become a hunter, from which gets rare materials from creatures or "hunts" meteors to gather oort stone, which in turn can be sold or used for fuelling portals.

If anything you could potentially team up with someone who might be more of a creative builder than you and create your own shop with your own twist.

Higher tier worlds needs atmospheric protection which you get through skills, there are currently 3 different skills covering two types of protections each.
    Each of these planets has more specialized resources that can only be gathered there, making those resources potentially even more rare and otherwise more valuable - where some people might never get those protection skills means that they rely on others to get it so they can buy said resources from them.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Maggon said:

For sure, I mean if you want to get into the gathering part of the game, then there's absolutely a huge market for that, as specific materials is in pretty high demand.

Everyone wants gems, as they are used for power coils, to provide power for machines to craft higher end items.

Then there's the entire crafting part of it - Like centraforging which allows you to modify any type of gear, bombs can get bigger radius or more damage - Axes and Hammers can get More damage, a light buff so the miner might be able to see in dark caves without having to bring extra torches, or even provide AoE boons to the items from which you can hit multiple blocks, meaning faster mining times etc.

Or you could go become a hunter, from which gets rare materials from creatures or "hunts" meteors to gather oort stone, which in turn can be sold or used for fuelling portals.

If anything you could potentially team up with someone who might be more of a creative builder than you and create your own shop with your own twist.

Higher tier worlds needs atmospheric protection which you get through skills, there are currently 3 different skills covering two types of protections each.
    Each of these planets has more specialized resources that can only be gathered there, making those resources potentially even more rare and otherwise more valuable - where some people might never get those protection skills means that they rely on others to get it so they can buy said resources from them.
    Cool, thanks.  Being a hunter/gatherer sounds fun.
    Kyleran
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    I got confused because I thought this was Dauntless due to misreading and wondered what everyone was talking about because I saw nothing about what anyone was talking about in the game. Then I realised it was Boundless not Dauntless. So, I might have a look when I get home tonight.
    DavodtheTutt

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Maggon said:

Cool, thanks.  Being a hunter/gatherer sounds fun.
    Some ppl are into the shopping and make money selling stuff.   Finding cheap selling high type of thing.  Setting up their own store.

There is the exploration aspect and I know some ppl who make it their mission to fill atlases ( they're blank and u can fill them in by exploring).

I self identify as a monkey.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    What ive ben reading on the Cash Shop and microtransactions has me concerned , im gonna hold off abit on this and see what direction that takes ...