Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen & SQ4 Roadmap (updated April 8th)

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited September 2018
    MaxBacon said:

The weekly graph, as said already the biggest boost this week was the network bind culling that is finally considered feature-complete, it's all up now to the ongoing implementation of OCS in terms of tech. 

The update is scheduled for Oct 10 release or at least open-PTU by then.
    Actually biggest boosts were
      -Improvements to Retrieval and Delivery missions: +50% to polishing stage
      -FPS Combat: Search Behavior: +50% to polishing stage
      -Improvements to Mining on Planetary Bodies: +39% to polishing stage
      -ArcCorp's Moon Vala: +29%, this is for patch 3.4

The progress with network bind culling was nice, but I did not miss it, I did not mention it because in my opinion it wasn't worth mentioning.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Vrika said:
    MaxBacon said:

The weekly graph, as said already the biggest boost this week was the network bind culling that is finally considered feature-complete, it's all up now to the ongoing implementation of OCS in terms of tech. 

The update is scheduled for Oct 10 release or at least open-PTU by then.
    Actually biggest boosts were
      -Improvements to Retrieval and Delivery missions: +50% to polishing stage
      -FPS Combat: Search Behavior: +50% to polishing stage
      -Improvements to Mining on Planetary Bodies: +39% to polishing stage
      -ArcCorp's Moon Vala: +29%, this is for patch 3.4

The progress with network bind culling was nice, but I did not miss it, I did not mention it because in my opinion it wasn't worth mentioning.
    Can you explain to me what happens if networld bind culling isn't released for 3.3?

I am not in networking specifically, but I understand the idea is that it will reduce the amount of data that everyone needs to transmit over the net and this will lead to better response times between the client and the servers. This should make everyone's experience feel less "laggy."

But what I really want to know is, and I'm not sure you can answer this, but if network bind culling doesn't release, the thing they keep telling everyone is the magic bullet for frame rates and stability, should we question the viability of the game being able to work as intended?

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited September 2018
    Can you explain to me what happens if networld bind culling isn't released for 3.3?

I am not in networking specifically, but I understand the idea is that it will reduce the amount of data that everyone needs to transmit over the net and this will lead to better response times between the client and the servers. This should make everyone's experience feel less "laggy."

But what I really want to know is, and I'm not sure you can answer this, but if network bind culling doesn't release, the thing they keep telling everyone is the magic bullet for frame rates and stability, should we question the viability of the game being able to work as intended?

Network culling is already set to release, the network engineer already stated it is feature-complete and missing the polish and bug-fixing type of things.

This is tied to object container streaming and its benefits are only visible if OCS releases, and that one is a must because without it, Hurston and all that can't be released. What you should be looking at is Object Container Streaming, that is the core of the performance improvement because right now you load the entire PU into memory, all its entities, both player and game-entities will be in memory. This means faster loadings for one.

As in examples already given, when you load today you're calculating 70k entities, in 3.3 with OCS that was said to have it reduced to 9k entities.

The core benefit of network bind culling is that when you login now, you are sending and receiving updates to and from 49 other clients independent of where they are in the PU; the culling here working together with OCS just makes it so you get updates from who is near you.

In any way even if network bind culling didn't release, the performance gains wouldn't be revoked because the core of them is the OCS, it is the main client-side optimization, the gains where it greatly reduces the amount of RAM the game needs to use, the improved loadings and the amount of resources it uses by calculating far less entities in one go, would stand.

What the devs have said multiple times is that performance is not one or two things that will fix everything, it's a whole long-term process where performance and stability will fluctuate as the game changes, and on that aspect is just normal because there's a reason why the full focus on optimizing and polish does not happen while you're still actively changing core things.

After this they still need to develop the server-side OCS, that from what I get is wanted to unload from the servers areas where there are no players, things like refactoring physics especially on the server-side, so they can scale hardware and have bigger servers (current physics on servers can't use more than 4 threads/cores I think)... So this is a process, is one issue at the time, OCS is simply a long undertaking, something beyond the work that it took to bring the engine to 64bit.
    Kyleran
    edited September 2018

If it's not released for 3.3 then it's late.

It's not special technology. If you've played WoW back when it was released and can still remember the lag when entering Ironforge, that was Blizzard's version of network bind culling and object container streaming working to load everything in Ironforge as you approached. It's not new tech, and RSI will be able to release their version sooner or later.

It's another question whether RSI will be able to get their servers and clients eventually perform well enough. These techs will help, but they aren't a magical solution that would fix everything.

Evocati should start this or next week for 3.3, seeing the Oct 10 minimum open PTU goal, and the update in task-completion lying on 64%, testing must start very soon as it's already set to be a close call hmm

Rollercoaster ETF incoming \o/
    Evocati is said to start early next week, in 2 different branches they'll have access two, with OCS enabled and disabled.
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Oct. 10?

I can't believe 3rd Quarter 2018 is almost here.
    Kyleran
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/

Roadmap updated, since last week the 3.3 patch gets a boost of tasks completed standing at 72% complete with close to 4 weeks to go.

• Mission Giver Clovus Darneely is feature complete.
    • Improved AI Flight Behavior is feature complete.
    • Network Bind Culling is feature complete.
    • Environmental Blending Shader is feature complete.
    • GameObjectExtension Conversion (OCS sub-task) is feature complete.

The group system improvements feature took a dive with a bunch of new tasks added to its completion.

For Alpha 3.4 a big 57% progress in one of Arccorp's Moons.
    Babuinix
    edited September 2018
    From latest ATV, it has been stated that OCS will not be ready by October 10th.

Due to imposing deadline, and the fact the addition of new content requires such tech, Hurston and there rest of the game-world location content will not be present in Alpha 3.3.

Instead of pushing it back to Alpha 3.4, they'll do a follow-up patch to 3.3 branded 3.3.5, giving it the extra time it needs to be finished and polished up.

(OCS will go into Evocati testing anyway, it just won't be ready by Citizencon)
    Babuinix
    edited September 2018
    Roadmap updated:

Patch 3.3 has been split into 3.3.0 that will launch on schedule, and 3.3.5 that will launch in "mid Q4 2018"

Delayed to patch 3.3.5:

Locations:
     -Hurston
     -Lorville Landing Zone
     -Hurston's moons: Aberdeen, Arial, Ita and Magda

Characters: 
     -Mission Giver: Clovus Darneely
     -Hurston Clothing Collection

Gameplay:
     -No-Fly Zones

Core Tech:
     -Object Container Streaming
     -Network Entity Streaming
     -Network Bind Culling

We're still getting all the gameplay upgrades (expect no-fly zones which will be in delayed locations) in patch 3.3, as well as new ships, new weapons, voice over IP and Face over IP tech and small Rest Stop stations, but the map expansion is delayed, background tech that should have allowed map expansion is delayed, and everything that was supposed to be located in expanded map is delayed.

The Evocati for the Alpha 3.3 build has started.

The OCS branch is still being set up, it will co-exist with the 3.3 testing to work out the 3.3.5 build sooner.

~ small leak of the revamped Mustang starter ship:

• Stormfire962Stormfire962 Member UncommonPosts: 65
    edited September 2018
    Elsabolts said:
    . PU taking to long

. Game costing to much money

. Destraction of main goal " Space " abundant

. Concept Sales detracting from main goal stated 5yrs + ago

Wow we have a so call expert here.  Dude, this is taking along time because it has never been done like this before and there is no model base for the DEVS to work from.  The DEVS have to build everything from scratch and make the tools, assets and tons of other stuff that I cannot mention here in order to build a game that they're trying to do.   They have to experiment, test, re-experiment, retest in order to create the necessary items to build the game.    So yes it is taking a long time but then again Rome wasn't built in a day.

As far as the cost of the game to use the user been too much well this is known as crowdfunding. There is no huge investors in this game like electronica arts and other game companies.   This game is entirely funded by the backers who have decided and willingly given money in order to build the game they want and what you will be playing on.    So before trying to say it cost too much to you the user think about all the other backers who have spent way more than you could ever possibly think and did it out of the goodness of their heart.     Now CIG could have said we're gonna bring in some other investors in order to get the game done faster to meet your liking but be aware that some features may not happen.    I don't think you would want that nor do I think anybody else would.  So before trying to sit there brow bash the game.  Try thinking about how much fun it will be once completed and what you will be able to do in it.  Also, try thinking about this as well that many backers chose to donated ships and game packages out of their hard earned money to friends, strangers, contests and other media in order to give them the user you a chance to be part of the star citizen  experience without you the user to ever have to spend money on the game.
    mmolouKyleran
  • BluelinerBlueliner Member UncommonPosts: 158
    This game will never launch
    Blueliner said:
    Well if you believe that then it is your right.  But here is something to think about.  What if you are wrong?
    MaxBacon said:
    The Evocati for the Alpha 3.3 build has started.

The OCS branch is still being set up, it will co-exist with the 3.3 testing to work out the 3.3.5 build sooner.

~ small leak of the revamped Mustang starter ship:

Ah dude that is not a leak.  It is common knowledge with the Star Citizen backers and anyone else who has been following ATV.  The Mustang is being reworked because of much of it is from old assets did not work quite right and the CIG DEVS felt the ship needed some more love and attention.
    edited September 2018
    Here's some footage of the Truckstops: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6u9gjj

Ah dude that is not a leak.  It is common knowledge with the Star Citizen backers and anyone else who has been following ATV.  The Mustang is being reworked because of much of it is from old assets did not work quite right and the CIG DEVS felt the ship needed some more love and attention.
    It is a leak on the context it is in-game footage from the builds under NDA, not CIG footage.
    MaxBacon said:
    Here's some footage of the Truckstops: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6u9gjj

It is a leak on the context it is in-game footage from the builds under NDA, not CIG footage.
    Where did you get this link from?  Are you one of the testers?
  • NeverWing2NeverWing2 Member CommonPosts: 3
    Blueliner said:
    Well if you believe that then it is your right.  But here is something to think about.  What if you are wrong?
    Do we really need to wait long for this game? Do you think it is worth the wait?
    edited September 2018
    Blueliner said:
    Do we really need to wait long for this game? Do you think it is worth the wait?
    Yes to both questions.

This game is creating groundbreaking work and could possibly be a new standard for all PC games to come.  I will not lied to you for what they are doing isn't easy but it is not impossible either.  People just need to understand that this will take time and unfortunately some are not willing to wait probably because they are getting older like I am.  
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Elsabolts said:
    . PU taking to long

. Game costing to much money

. Destraction of main goal " Space " abundant

. Concept Sales detracting from main goal stated 5yrs + ago

Wow we have a so call expert here.  Dude, this is taking along time because it has never been done like this before and there is no model base for the DEVS to work from.  The DEVS have to build everything from scratch and make the tools, assets and tons of other stuff that I cannot mention here in order to build a game that they're trying to do.   They have to experiment, test, re-experiment, retest in order to create the necessary items to build the game.    So yes it is taking a long time but then again Rome wasn't built in a day.

As far as the cost of the game to use the user been too much well this is known as crowdfunding. There is no huge investors in this game like electronica arts and other game companies.   This game is entirely funded by the backers who have decided and willingly given money in order to build the game they want and what you will be playing on.    So before trying to say it cost too much to you the user think about all the other backers who have spent way more than you could ever possibly think and did it out of the goodness of their heart.     Now CIG could have said we're gonna bring in some other investors in order to get the game done faster to meet your liking but be aware that some features may not happen.    I don't think you would want that nor do I think anybody else would.  So before trying to sit there brow bash the game.  Try thinking about how much fun it will be once completed and what you will be able to do in it.  Also, try thinking about this as well that many backers chose to donated ships and game packages out of their hard earned money to friends, strangers, contests and other media in order to give them the user you a chance to be part of the star citizen  experience without you the user to ever have to spend money on the game.
    "Did it out of the goodness of their hearts."

Some folks not only drink the Kool-aid, but ask what flavor can they choose from.

How long are you willing to wait I wonder? Two more years, three, five, or even 10 years?

If the Devs really have no clue on how to deliver the features of this game, and everything is as experimental as you believe, then it's full release date is about as likely as a cure for cancer.

Lets hope by this point they've got a pretty clear idea of what is likely to work and have the talent and resources in place to deliver in a reasonable time frame.

It is possible to actually take too long to deliver a software project, regardless of its innovation.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Blueliner said:
    As there is nothing comparable currently in progress (that we know of) waiting is the only option at present. 

We won't know if it was worth the wait until it's all said and done and see how well accepted it is by the both the backers and future customers.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited September 2018
    Kyleran said:
    Blueliner said:
    As there is nothing comparable currently in progress (that we know of) waiting is the only option at present. 

We won't know if it was worth the wait until it's all said and done and see how well accepted it is by the both the backers and future customers.

I cannot argue points nor am I even going to try.  Someone only asked me if it was worth the wait and I said yes.  As well as offer my opinion on the subject as well.
    Here is a link to good reliable information on Star Citizen:

rpmcmurphy
    Where did you get this link from?  Are you one of the testers?
    Reddit allows those to be posted by who may want to.