Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft's Game Director to Take Part in a Reddit AMA Tomorrow - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageWorld of Warcraft's Game Director to Take Part in a Reddit AMA Tomorrow - MMORPG.com

On Friday, September 14th at 2:00 pm Pacific / 5:00 pm Eastern, World of Warcraft Game Director Ion Hazzikostas will be heading over to /r/WoW to take part in an "ask me anything" session with fans of the game. The topic is general, but more tailored to the Live Game ("current ideas, problems, etc."). There is no specific end to the AMA, though Hazzikostas noted that he's "planning on spending at least a couple hours responding" in an attempt "for much more robust communication on our end".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited September 2018
    WHO'S BRINGING POPCORN!?

[Deleted User]ThaharMadFrenchienecrolockwandericaGnogJeroKaneJuzaa[Deleted User]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Why reddit and not their own forums? That just proves to people that go to the official forums that they aren't listened to. Like, so many bugs on beta forum reported but many made it to expansion launch.

Maybe should report bugs on reddit instead, since every time a popular reddit post got to the top about game breaking bugs/exploits etc...blizzard fixed it right away

Reported on official forums? No one listens.
    JeroKane

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well i read through reddit a Blizzard employee that stated he liked working there but communication is horrible between the small guy and the leads.What he basically said is all that Q/a stuff is a smokescreen,the big shots at Blizzard do not listen to feedback or the little guy employees/testers etc etc even to say he felt they totally disrespected the little guy at Blizzard.

As to mentioning bugs in this Reddit forum,pfft,Blizzard has released expansions with game breaking bugs to quest lines that they knew about several weeks before release and still never fixed them,so don't even think your mentioning of bugs will do anything,if they are already working on it,then like i said,they can play the role ...see we listen.

Did i mention the part about their playtesters,oh yeah i did,guess since those bugs get through,they do NOT listen,they'll get to them when they feel like it,maybe when they are done with their gaming shows.Thank god for inside testing and feedback,,oh wait.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• calibekcalibek Member UncommonPosts: 300
    edited September 2018
    I can't believe I am about to say this but POOR ION...

Nothing worse than pissed off nerds. They are going to rip him apart.
    SBForddragonlee66wandericaGnogJeroKane[Deleted User]

• btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    You can ask me anything, but I'm not going to answer 99% of the questions you ask, just those questions that have been pre-screened for me that basically no one gives a rats ass about.
    SBFordThahardragonlee66
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited September 2018

SBFord said:

WHO'S BRINGING POPCORN!?

I'd love to but we all know the questions will be controlled. Say what you will but Blizzard has mastered the art of making the customers blame each other for Blizzard's oversights/problems. I mean, just a couple of days ago, I was looking at a thread blaming beta testers for half the problems that made it to live even though there were documented videos from sources like finalbosstv and preacher dating back months in regards to bugs that are in game now. But I guess we live in a world where alternative facts exist.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    Ballsy, but I hate that format for a Q&A.  But it can get the job done I guess as long as he has people monitoring the thousands of questions being asked at once LOL.  It's best to wait for someone to collate the questions and answers rather than digging.

Part of me would prefer to see a dev address the well known big issues/concerns first in a video.  Then let people digest his answers and before the AMA.  Why waste time with questions being asked 1000x.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    The devs posted that they are using reddit due to the way the threads are structured; that it is easier to follow each conversation individually in that format.  To that end, I can't say I disagree.  Trying to do it on the Blizzard official forums would've been a nightmare to try and read through compared to reddit.

They also want the fans to be able to upvote the questions they most want answered.  We'll see how that one goes.
    [Deleted User]ThaharFrodoFraginsConstantineMerus

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    I am sure they will say that they "are taking note of peoples' concerns" and that "they are addressing issues".

Probably a little soon after the release of the xpac to say that they will do better next time ..... again.
    SBFordThaharJeroKane
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited September 2018

The devs posted that they are using reddit due to the way the threads are structured; that it is easier to follow each conversation individually in that format.  To that end, I can't say I disagree.  Trying to do it on the Blizzard official forums would've been a nightmare to try and read through compared to reddit.

They also want the fans to be able to upvote the questions they most want answered.  We'll see how that one goes.

Someone did bring up a good rebuttal to this though. Maybe its time for them to upgrade how they communicate with their audience without relying on external sources. They've already utilized resources in game for people to create communities and also voice chat when you already had a popular medium on the market known as discord for that. They could easily create something similar to reddit or a particular thread, hell even their own twitch channel to do a live QA with mods deleting anything that aren't questions so Ion has to answer them on the spot as someone else suggested. At least make the effort more believable then setting up something that we already know will be predetermined by them.
    MadFrenchieSBFordThahar
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    If anyone is going to participate in this could you please possibly ask about the classic server and if there is information on its release?

Has there been any information on sales numbers of this expansion or numbers of current subscribers?
    Gnog
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    blamo2000 said:
    If anyone is going to participate in this could you please possibly ask about the classic server and if there is information on its release?

Has there been any information on sales numbers of this expansion or numbers of current subscribers?
    The focus of the AMA, as Hazzikostas stated, is the live game, not classic. That's a whole different team.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited September 2018
    blamo2000 said:

i haven't seen any numbers but i read/heard it is the fastest selling expansion for WoW ever. If i can find the source where i saw this i'll edit this post and add a link. I don't remember where i saw it.

blamo2000

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited September 2018
    I have a question

Did they ever do one of these for Legion?

If not, this is by far damage control and shows how bad BFA is doing. And if this is the case and there wasn't one for Legion, then people that have been saying the expansion is fine are probably wrong. And by "bad" I mean subscriber count.

If so, then guess its a normal every expansion thing?

I actually love Horde in BFA, obviously a ton more work was put into Horde this expansion...

I was bored in less than a week as alliance. Just bland content. Horde content is just vastly better in quality.

But this is feeling like the expansion is a disaster, and they are now doing an AMA for an "emergency" kind of thing.

Granted, there are people enjoying BFA (I am with Horde, Alliance side sucked as far as quality goes). But people enjoyed WoD too (I liked WoD personally), so yeah lol.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    SBFord said:
    blamo2000 said:

The focus of the AMA, as Hazzikostas stated, is the live game, not classic. That's a whole different team.
    Sorry.  I assumed something with the title "Ask Me Anything" could be asked something other than the main focus.  It could be just me, but if what you are saying is true the name seems grossly misleading.
    @SBFord, pass me the popcorn seasoning, please.

In all seriousness, the first question got at least an in-depth response.  There's another question regarding alts and such that's got a lot of votes that I'd like to see answered, too.

edited September 2018
    Here's a post that I think warrants more discussion:

"'That was by design, so that you wouldn’t feel as much of a loss when upgrading to a higher level item that isn’t yet fully unlocked.' - Ion

This statement worries me. Quibbling over the degree of lost power when equipping a supposed upgrade is irrelevant, because upgrading my gear shouldn't feel like a loss in the first place."

I really do think Ion needs to read the sentence he wrote there over and over until he realizes the point being made by the poster on Reddit.  Ion's stance here is akin to a surgeon kidnapping someone to operate on them without their consent, then explaining it to them with: "We're gonna take your leg, but don't worry: we'll give you a cane after.  This is by design, so you won't feel as much of a loss.  We think you'll enjoy this."

[Deleted User][Deleted User]