Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats the next traditional mmorpg to come out?

blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
edited September 2018 in LFGame
By traditional I guess I mean WoW/EQ2 type for the PC with quests.  Something like Ship of Heroes, not crafting focused like Conan Exiles, or MOBA, Battle Royal, etc.  

For some reason I used to have a handle of what actual mmorpgs I would be interested in were being developed and a general idea of when they'd be released.  Now, I know almost nothing and anything even though I try.  I'll find a game I have interest in and look up release date and see 2015 and it isn't even in alpha in 2018.  

Anyone have a better grasp on things than I do?  Crowfall isn't a traditional mmorpg like WoW, but is Shadowbane like enough where I will check it out.  That's the only one I think I know when it will "soft" release in Q1 2019?

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited September 2018
    Pantheon is about as traditional as it can get , but is also maybe 2 years out
    blamo2000craftseekerMensur
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Scorchien said:
    Well my guess is Pantheon won't be 'traditional' in the way the OP is looking for since they are comparing it to quest driven theme parks and not an "old-school" game like EQ1 or UO

I don't think anyone is making a quest driven theme park unless there's something coming out of China in the future.
    blamo2000

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Scorchien said:
    Thank you.  So we have for traditional-

Pantheon - not anytime soon - 2020/2021?

What about Camelot Unchained, the two super hero games, Chronicles of Elyria?  Other traditional mmorpgs being developed I can't think of at the moment or know about?

Another UO/Shadowbane-like would be Legends of Aria which is going to steam EA within the next year (I'm assuming, based on what they said they needed to do before EA).
    edited September 2018
    Kyleran said:
    Scorchien said:
    Well my guess is Pantheon won't be 'traditional' in the way the OP is looking for since they are comparing it to quest driven theme parks and not an "old-school" game like EQ1 or UO

I don't think anyone is making a quest driven theme park unless there's something coming out of China in the future.
    I made my last post while you typed this.  The two Super Hero games seem to be quest driven theme parks, right?  They can't be the only two being made, can they?

Edit - the Wow classic server isn't really new gameplay, but will be a new game to play so there is that too.  
    Saga of Lucmia is another i have an eye on , but that also is a ways out ...

As far as a UO like i have enjoyed Arcfall but its down  till the 22nd as it gets ready for a huge update ..

Crowfall and CU both look promising for RvR games but again a ways out
    blamo2000
    edited September 2018
    Kyleran said:
    Scorchien said:

i hear ya , but still think it is the closest option atm

and he did say                                                                                                                                 "By traditional I guess I mean WoW/EQ2 type for the PC with quests"

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    blamo2000 said:
    Scorchien said:
    Thank you.  So we have for traditional-

Pantheon - not anytime soon - 2020/2021?

What about Camelot Unchained, the two super hero games, Chronicles of Elyria?  Other traditional mmorpgs being developed I can't think of at the moment or know about?

Another UO/Shadowbane-like would be Legends of Aria which is going to steam EA within the next year (I'm assuming, based on what they said they needed to do before EA).
    CU is almost 100% PVP with almost no PVE, anything but traditional.

COE, perma death, pre selling entire kingdoms and nobility before launch,  a depth to every possible system that likely can never be realized, wouldnt call it very traditional either.

I never thought of COH / COV as a traditional MMORPG, and actually dont follow the progress of the super hero sub genre.

Legends of Aria is going to be a smoking pile for the most part and UO was certainly nothing like your first examples of WOW/ EQ2.

Guess I need more clarity as what you consider "traditional" to be.
    Interituscraftseeker

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Have you played GW2. or Even Trove? They are very traditional MMO's in the sense of PvE and questing, and grinding till your eyes bleed.
    Kyleran
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Kyleran said:

I never thought of COH / COV as a traditional MMORPG, and actually dont follow the progress of the super hero sub genre.

Legends of Aria is going to be a smoking pile for the most part and UO was certainly nothing like your first examples of WOW/ EQ2.

Guess I need more clarity as what you consider "traditional" to be.
    I didn't mean to imply I thought Legends of Aria was, like with my example of Crowfall in the first post.  They are just games I know are close to something like a release/final wipe.  

I didn't play CoX until the last expansion, but you created a character, got quests, did the quests, turned them in, rinse repeat.  How is that not like WoW?  Same for DCUO and Champions Online.

Why would you not consider them traditional in the WoW/EQ2 mold?    

But I thank you for pointing out the other games being made are not theme parks.

Ungood said:
    Have you played GW2. or Even Trove? They are very traditional MMO's in the sense of PvE and questing, and grinding till your eyes bleed.

Yes to GW2, no to Trove.  My daughter did play Trove a little and I checked it out.  If I am remembering correctly it was extremely rpg lite and had very little going on character development wise.  

I play, or at least try, every mmorpg that comes out that can be considered an mmorpg and isn't focused on crafting.  I don't stick to any for long stretches but I used to have a new mmorpg once in a while to look forward to.  Now with Wildstar closing, Funcom banning me for buying something from their store in AoC (causing me to also access to AO), my pool of older mmorpgs I can return to is shrinking quickly with nothing to new replace them.
  • yggdrasil0601yggdrasil0601 Member CommonPosts: 4
    My studio is working on an indie title Vanaheim Reclaimed. We are adding a lot of stuff from other MMORPG that we really liked and bringing Norse mythology to a MMORPG. Shadowbane was one of my first and favorite experiences in MMO and we will be doing a lot  of Shadowbane like features.
    blamo2000