Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer: Chaosbane - First Look Gameplay & Developer Commentary

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2018 in Videos Discussion

imageWarhammer: Chaosbane - First Look Gameplay & Developer Commentary

One of the developers working on Warhammer: Chaosbane, Kris, has taken to YouTube to present viewers with a first-ever look at the gameplay they can expect in the forthcoming ARPG that is due out for PS4, XB1 and PC in 2019.

Read the full story here

Comments

• DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    Reminds me Diablo 3 which I enjoyed might as well play this too when out.
    SBFordDiscipledOneAlomarAgent_JosephWaan
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited September 2018
    Hopefully the classes include male / female options. One of my biggest problems with Path of Exile has been the gender-locked classes. Naming I don't care so much about, but I do like to play as a female character, usually a melee / tank type. D3 brought the series forward in that regard. Hopefully Chaosbane will take note. :)
    ZenJellyJeffSpicoliCyber_wastelandXophJoseph_KerrPesky

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    edited September 2018

SBFord said:

Hopefully the classes include male / female options. One of my biggest problems with Path of Exile has been the gender-locked classes. Naming I don't care so much about, but I do like to play as a female character, usually a melee / tank type. D3 brought the series forward in that regard. Hopefully Chaosbane will take note. :)

That's not really canon with the classes in the lore though. At least based on what I've seen in the total War Warhammer series. And so people wanting both genders for every class are likely to be disappointed but Games Workshop is unlikely to let them break lore. Others may have more info on this though and prove me wrong. Allowing classes to have both genders seems like one of the easier things a game can do, so I agree that it should become the norm whenever possible.
  • BananableBananable Member UncommonPosts: 194
    "Warhammer: Chaosbane ARPG"
    Another one? I hope its gonna be better than Martyr. :P
    JeffSpicoli
    The recent WH40k:Inquisitor ARPG was DOA and the devs seem to have mostly abandoned it based on the subreddit and Twitch. It should have been better considering the developers had already made the Van Helsing ARPGs, but the price point didn't jsutify the lack of content (among other issues).

I don't really play most non server based ARPGs for long and I assume this is another of those. Looking into this developer, which didn't make Inquisiror, they've made a fair number of games but the closest in style is their How to Survive series:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/250400/How_to_Survive/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/360170/How_to_Survive_2/

I haven't played them so I can't really judge them there. The price point will be key on this game, especially if it isn't server based like POE and D2/D3.

We need to see a lot more before being able to compare it with the top ARPGs at the moment including Grim Dawn.
    JeffSpicoli
  • calibekcalibek Member UncommonPosts: 300
    Maybe it's just me but GW seems to be allowing a lot of games recently to be commissioned in a world that they themselves destroyed in the End Times just to restart everything in a brand new world. Kind of seems like a round about way of then saying they made a mistake with their reboot.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

SBFord said:

That's not really canon with the classes in the lore though. At least based on what I've seen in the total War Warhammer series. And so people wanting both genders for every class are likely to be disappointed but Games Workshop is unlikely to let them break lore. Others may have more info on this though and prove me wrong. Allowing classes to have both genders seems like one of the easier things a game can do, so I agree that it should become the norm whenever possible.
    Yeah that's pretty much what I'm afraid of given the cannon lore behind any Warhammer game. It'll bum me out though. :cry:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Hmm, didn't even know this was in the works. Doesn't look like anything different than a typical hack'n'slash, but having a Warhammer setting might be enough to interest me if done well.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    edited September 2018
    So when will we see a proper RPG set in the old world? So tired of ARPG.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849

SBFord said:

I hate it to, I like to play as a man and i often encounter games where the class I want to play is gender locked to female, the most recent that comes to mind is Soul worker. They had this bad ass guitar class and unfortunately all you could play as was a 12 year old female.
    SBFord
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• youngloenoeyoungloenoe Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Hopefully this gives the player something similar to POE or Diablo 2 when it comes to customization. It would be a sad day if this turns out to be just another D3 clone.
  • titanofdoomtitanofdoom Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Hardly a loot fiesta is it? Only white items dropping also? A perfunctory and tedious loot system will invoke a pass from me...
    Perennially extricating the extraneous
    Hardly a loot fiesta is it? Only white items dropping also? A perfunctory and tedious loot system will invoke a pass from me...
    It's a bit early to judge the loot system - geesh
  • XophXoph Member UncommonPosts: 176

SBFord said:

This complaint never made much sense. Especially in PoE where gender means absolutely nothing since many of the models share the same animations and after you've got all your MTX on, you can't even tell if it's male or female... *shrug* Some people complain about the dumbest shit.
    edited September 2018
    xDarkjoy said:

SBFord said:

This complaint never made much sense. Especially in PoE where gender means absolutely nothing since many of the models share the same animations and after you've got all your MTX on, you can't even tell if it's male or female... *shrug* Some people complain about the dumbest shit.
    Gender means nothing in POE?  Are you unfamiliar with ascendencies and the massive impact they have on the game?  Try getting templar ascendencies on a witch.

While I've never avoided a class due to gender, I have avoided races in games when there were options.   And frankly, if every game made me play as a woman I'd probably get annoyed to.

Post edited by FrodoFragins on
  • PeskyPesky Member UncommonPosts: 157
    Oh man! I love ARPGs!

If this is single player and moddable, then count me in!

Path of Exile and Diablo 3 with their always online requirements and lack of mod support really annoy the hell out of me (no matter how good they are).

I much prefer games like Grim Dawn that let me play offline and solo, and don't care what I mod and change to suit my own playstyle.

So I'll be keeping an eye on this one, and hope it follows Grim Dawn's lead.
    edited September 2018
    Torval said:
    The recent WH40k:Inquisitor ARPG was DOA and the devs seem to have mostly abandoned it based on the subreddit and Twitch. It should have been better considering the developers had already made the Van Helsing ARPGs, but the price point didn't jsutify the lack of content (among other issues).

That's funny because they're running a seasonal event right now. The crazy stuff you make up because you don't like that a game isn't free. /smh
    Everyone I know that streamed the game stopped.  The subreddit went from optimistic to pessimistic.  There is very limited end game content, the game is slow and all for the price of a AAA game.  A seasonal event doesn't fix what people are asking for.

And guess what, I want the game to be good and will buy it if it ever becomes worth the price.  I never root for an ARPG to be underwhelming and overpriced.  This game was on my radar and had a poor launch.  I then checked in about a week ago and saw the state of the community.  I was hoping to find out that they addressed the slow combat and added deep endgame and better itemization.  they did none of that and have no ETA for it.  I'm always looking for solid server based ARPGs, but sadly Warhammer 40k:Inquisitor is a bust.  I'll check back again in 6 months or so. 

Nothing about the game justifies the price tag.  Oh and it's online only so if the devs shut down the server you can't play anymore.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    edited September 2018
    xDarkjoy said:

SBFord said:

Gender means nothing in POE?  Are you unfamiliar with ascendencies and the massive impact they have on the game?  Try getting templar ascendencies on a witch.

While I've never avoided a class due to gender, I have avoided races in games when there were options.   And frankly, if every game made me play as a woman I'd probably get annoyed to.

There are some people that think that mechanics trample visuals in games. And lets be honest, gender in POE is merely cosmetic and doesn't affect the story at all, besides a couple one-liners your character says after killing certain bosses.

On the other hand, if cosmetics were not REALLY important, cash shops would not function at all. The fact that this monetisation model is sustainable, is proof enough that cosmetics are extremely important to a lot of people.

As for annoyance, I'm playing female characters exclusively on every game that provides the option. It usually isn't a big deal if the option isn't there, but I'd rather be given a good reason for that. Small indie studio with limited resources and lore prohibiting certain combinations are good enough reasons in my book.

[Edit: Typos]
    edited September 2018
    Xasapis said:
    xDarkjoy said:

SBFord said:

There are some people that think that mechanics trample visuals in games. And lets be honest, gender in POE is merely cosmetic and doesn't affect the story at all, besides a couple one-liners your character says after killing certain bosses.

On the other hand, if cosmetics were not REALLY important, cash shops would not function at all. The fact that this monetisation model is sustainable, is proof enough that cosmetics are extremely important to a lot of people.

As for annoyance, I'm playing female characters exclusively on every game that provides the option. It usually isn't a big deal if the option isn't there, but I'd rather be given a good reason for that. Small indie studio with limited resources and lore prohibiting certain combinations are good enough reasons in my book.

Again, I refer you to Ascendencies - which as class locked.  If you want to play a female character that has one of the male classes ascendencies - you are out of luck.  Ascendencies are build defining to the extreme. 

This by definition means genders in POE are not simply cosmetic.  And the gender locked class you choose will have different priority on stats like STR, DEX and INT and have certain nodes close and some unreasonably far away.  There is simply no equivalent of a male witch in the game.

Maybe you haven't played POE since they were introduced?

Xasapis said:
    xDarkjoy said:

SBFord said:

Again, I refer you to Ascendencies - which as class locked.  If you want to play a female character that has one of the male classes ascendencies - you are out of luck.  Ascendencies are build defining to the extreme. 

This by definition means genders in POE are not simply cosmetic.

Gender in Diablo is purely cosmetic. A female demon hunter and a male demon hunter have zero differences besides the way they look.

Gender in POE would also be purely cosmetic, if for example the ranger had a male model. Ascendances would not change this. Both the female and (imaginary) male model would be rangers and thus have the same progression options.

You are right that as things stand right now, there is certain overlap between classes in POE that doesn't reach the ascendances. But the post you quoted wasn't referring to that.
    Xasapis said:
    Xasapis said:
    xDarkjoy said:

SBFord said:

Gender in Diablo is purely cosmetic. A female demon hunter and a male demon hunter have zero differences besides the way they look.

Gender in POE would also be purely cosmetic, if for example the ranger had a male model. Ascendances would not change this. Both the female and (imaginary) male model would be rangers and thus have the same progression options.

You are right that as things stand right now, there is certain overlap between classes in POE that doesn't reach the ascendances. But the post you quoted wasn't referring to that.
    You are going in circles - I responded to you saying:

And lets be honest, gender in POE is merely cosmetic

Xasapis said:
    Xasapis said:
    xDarkjoy said:

SBFord said:

We just approached the situation differently. For me it was a question of "what difference would it make if the male templar became a female templar?" For you it was a question of "what difference there is between the ranger and duelist".

To expand on my way of thinking, I'd make another example. Take Mass Effect and male and female Shepard. They have the exact same skill progression path, but the game approach them differently. In Diablo, the genders play no role whatsoever. The same would be true in POE, if they had two gender options.
    Xasapis said:
    Xasapis said:
    Xasapis said:
    xDarkjoy said:

SBFord said:

We just approached the situation differently. For me it was a question of "what difference would it make if the male templar became a female templar?" For you it was a question of "what difference there is between the ranger and duelist".

To expand on my way of thinking, I'd make another example. Take Mass Effect and male and female Shepard. They have the exact same skill progression path, but the game approach them differently. In Diablo, the genders play no role whatsoever. The same would be true in POE, if they had two gender options.
    whatever dude