Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The History Channel is EVIL :P

kimmarkimmar Member Posts: 446
Today my son brought home a friend of his from down the street to play.  It's a family that moved in about a month ago.  While they were here they played some in his room then came out to watch television.  I made them some sandwiches to eat.  The kid was really cute.  He didn't talk very much.  But some kids are just shy.

After he left, about a half hour later my doorbell rang.  I went to the door and it was the neighbor kids mother.  She asked me to please keep my son away from her son.  And if he were around our house to ask him nicely to leave.

When I asked her why, she said she didn't agree with my families lifestyle.

Uhhhhmmm...  I was perplexed.  To say the least.  I thought, what did I make him the wrong sandwich?  Are they vegetarian or something?  That's all I could come up with in my head.  So, I said fine, but what exactly did we do to offend you.

She said that her son is not allowed to watch television stations like the History Channel or ones that deal with science or popular themes.

Now I was stumped.  I didn't know what to say.  So after standing there for about 10 seconds I asked her why.  She said that her kids are home schooled and that she'd rather they didn't know about different angles on history and science other than what the Bible teaches.  And that she'd like for her kids to be around like minded families. 

I wanted to say something so bad.  But I didn't.  I kept my mouth shut out of respect.  I think it's her right to raise her kids the way she wants.  But afterwards I talked to my husband about it.  We had a huge laugh.  But then started to wonder.

What kind of kids are these going to turn out to be?  Seriously, how unable are they going to be to function in society.  And I have to admit, I was a little offended.  I mean, my kids are great.  They are some of the nicest, generous, gentle kids you could ever meet.  I take them with me to volunteer each week.  They love it.  They beg me to go back.  We teach them about civic duty, kindness to others.  They couldn't be better kids. 

I couldn't imagine what the outcome is going to be for her kids.  No wonder why the boy was so quiet.  He probably hadn't developed any social skills or might have been in culture shock.  I mean, you know how scary The History Channel can get. 

=============================
It all seems so stupid
It makes me want to give up
But why should I give up
When it all seems so stupid

Comments

• NihilanthNihilanth Member Posts: 1,357

Thats completely retarded. I'm sorry, but those kids will never really, honestly and truly be Christians. They will be brainwashed into only knowing one mentality. The only true way to believe something is to be shown every angle and make your OWN decision based on what you have seen about all possibilities. What she is doing to her kids is taking away their ability to make a decision on their own.

Her kids will never be able to win a debate if they ever get into one, because they will only know their side's point of view. If someone gives them a good enough counterpoint to something they believe in, they wont know how to react.

Schutzbar - Human Warrior - Windrunner Alliance - World of Warcraft
    Nihilanth - Kerra Paladin - Blackburrow - EverQuest II
    XBL Gamertag - Eagle15GT

• ZhanghiaZhanghia Member UncommonPosts: 1,312
    Well, Nihil, at least they'll be good evangelists on TV
  • porgieporgie Member Posts: 1,516
    WTF!!!???

I'm sorry, but that is hilarious!  Does she not realize that her kids are the dangerous ones?  They're going to explode someday when they are away from mummy's apron.  LOL!!!!

If it weren't for Discovery Channel, History Channel, and Science Channel, I don't even think I'd watch 10% of the television I do now.  I think she's trying to keep her kids in some Amish bubble or something.  Then one day, one of them wanders off the safety of the family lawn, and into the clutches of eeeeeevil.  Hahahaha.

Even Ned Flanders lets his kids play with Bart, doesn't he?

What would Jesus do????  Jesus would tell his kids to stay away from the neighbors.  They're evil.  ROFL!!!

So that's what this whole home schooling thing is about?  Now I know.  I will most defnitely put my kids in public school.  Where they can be engaged with different kinds of people.

You know what's going to happen?  God has a way of giving parents like this gay children.  Just look around you at all the hardcore conservatives.  There's a gay person in every one of their families.  They try to hide them, but they're there.  Just investigate it if you don't believe me.  You had better warn her.  lol. 

-----------------------
    </OBAMA>

• LeesusLeesus Member Posts: 183
    And people wonder why we have serial killers in thsi country. Someone who is that shut off from society gets a huge culture shock when they move out on their own. Definately is not healthy for the mind.

• GideonGideon Member UncommonPosts: 629

Originally posted by porgie
    WTF!!!???

I'm sorry, but that is hilarious!  Does she not realize that her kids are the dangerous ones?  They're going to explode someday when they are away from mummy's apron.  LOL!!!!

If it weren't for Discovery Channel, History Channel, and Science Channel, I don't even think I'd watch 10% of the television I do now.  I think she's trying to keep her kids in some Amish bubble or something.  Then one day, one of them wanders off the safety of the family lawn, and into the clutches of eeeeeevil.  Hahahaha.

What would Jesus do????  Jesus would tell his kids to stay away from the neighbors.  They're evil.  ROFL!!!

So that's what this whole home schooling thing is about?  Now I know.  I will most defnitely put my kids in public school.  Where they can be engaged with different kinds of people.

You know what's going to happen?  God has a way of giving parents like this gay children.  Just look around you at all the hardcore conservatives.  There's a gay person in every one of their families.  They try to hide them, but they're there.  Just investigate it if you don't believe me.  You had better warn her.  lol. 

Why the hell would you bring up that god gives gay children to these kinds of parents? Thats got to be the most bullshit ive ever heard.. God doesnt give parents gay children if they are protective people.
    I dont care whether you believe in him or not a person turning gay is not a parents fault unless they teach it. My friends brother is gay and his parents are the most normal and nice parents ive met.
  • FaemusFaemus Member Posts: 321

hmm. sorry to hear about those neighbors. As a christian i can understand some parents concern when it comes to their children and what they are exposed to. But i think they are an example of people going so far off the deep end that they are actually damaging their child. How do they expect him to cope when he moves out of mom and dad's bubble? heh.

Stories like that remind me that the biggest problem with christianity is christians. I wish people could more easily familiarize themselves with the faith in a way that wasn't tied to the shortcomings of its followers.

-- I need a nerf --

• So...history is against the Bible? Do these people also not believe in the Holocaust or the moon landing?

I'm glad your kid is watching the History Channel, though. There are people my own age who couldn't find Spain on the map or understand why they would need to know about it. Yeah...because they've always spoken Spanish in South America, it was a wierd coincidence.

I don't understand why anyone would need to know their own history. The Bible tells us everything we could ever want to know. Here, it talks about Jerusalem...that's kind of far away. I wonder how Christians got so far away...oh that's heresy, I'm sorry. Now I'm going to bury my head in the sand and pray for forgiveness.

• porgieporgie Member Posts: 1,516

Originally posted by Gideon

WTF!!!???

Why the hell would you bring up that god gives gay children to these kinds of parents? Thats got to be the most bullshit ive ever heard.. God doesnt give parents gay children if they are protective people.
    I dont care whether you believe in him or not a person turning gay is not a parents fault unless they teach it. My friends brother is gay and his parents are the most normal and nice parents ive met.

Dude, it was a joke.  I was making fun of the fact that conservatives always talk about how their kids will never turn out gay, because they've taught them that it's wrong.  Yet somehow, they seem to turn out that way anyhow.

God seasons the Earth evenly with gay people.  You've got just as good of a chance of getting a gay child if you're conservative as if you are liberal.  Or somewhere in between.  It doesn't matter.  The only difference is how they're treated when they reach that stage in their life.  Some get to go on to be happy adults.  Others live the rest of their life in guilt, shame, and loneliness.

Sorry if the humor in my voice didn't come through in my writing. 

-----------------------
    </OBAMA>

• gnomexxxgnomexxx Member Posts: 2,920

WTF!!!???

Parent's like this are the reason my teenage nephew is living with me right now. 

His parents got thumped in the head by the Bible and kicked him out of the house when he decided to tell them the truth about his sexualilty.  He was so embarrased by what they did that he was living on the streets instead of coming to the rest of the family for help.

I feel sorry for that kid.  I hope nothing bad happens to him.  It's not cool what they're doing.

===============================

• NeptusNeptus Member UncommonPosts: 988

That's one reason why I don't agree with religion.
    When you're born, religion is forced on you like peanut butter is to jelly.

If it would have been me, I would have been like.
    "I was just about to come over and tell you I don't want your son playing with my son cause he was too quiet and I don't like quiet people in my house."
    But, I'm an @$$......

Neptus - FFXI - Pandemonium
    Neptus - WoW - Detheroc

• ScorpesScorpes Member Posts: 830
    Radical religious zealots are not the sole property of muslims. If we're not careful, we could create an entire generation of American Taliban.
  • Mills3Mills3 Member Posts: 5

Originally posted by Neptus

That's one reason why I don't agree with religion.
    When you're born, religion is forced on you like peanut butter is to jelly.
    If it would have been me, I would have been like.
    "I was just about to come over and tell you I don't want your son playing with my son cause he was too quiet and I don't like quiet people in my house."
    But, I'm an @$$......

i dont think your an @$$
  • cornoffcobcornoffcob Member Posts: 860

Originally posted by kimmar
    Today my son brought home a friend of his from down the street to play.  It's a family that moved in about a month ago.  While they were here they played some in his room then came out to watch television.  I made them some sandwiches to eat.  The kid was really cute.  He didn't talk very much.  But some kids are just shy.

After he left, about a half hour later my doorbell rang.  I went to the door and it was the neighbor kids mother.  She asked me to please keep my son away from her son.  And if he were around our house to ask him nicely to leave.

When I asked her why, she said she didn't agree with my families lifestyle.

Uhhhhmmm...  I was perplexed.  To say the least.  I thought, what did I make him the wrong sandwich?  Are they vegetarian or something?  That's all I could come up with in my head.  So, I said fine, but what exactly did we do to offend you.

She said that her son is not allowed to watch television stations like the History Channel or ones that deal with science or popular themes.

Now I was stumped.  I didn't know what to say.  So after standing there for about 10 seconds I asked her why.  She said that her kids are home schooled and that she'd rather they didn't know about different angles on history and science other than what the Bible teaches.  And that she'd like for her kids to be around like minded families. 

I wanted to say something so bad.  But I didn't.  I kept my mouth shut out of respect.  I think it's her right to raise her kids the way she wants.  But afterwards I talked to my husband about it.  We had a huge laugh.  But then started to wonder.

What kind of kids are these going to turn out to be?  Seriously, how unable are they going to be to function in society.  And I have to admit, I was a little offended.  I mean, my kids are great.  They are some of the nicest, generous, gentle kids you could ever meet.  I take them with me to volunteer each week.  They love it.  They beg me to go back.  We teach them about civic duty, kindness to others.  They couldn't be better kids. 

I couldn't imagine what the outcome is going to be for her kids.  No wonder why the boy was so quiet.  He probably hadn't developed any social skills or might have been in culture shock.  I mean, you know how scary The History Channel can get. 

the kid is gunna be crazy...

I hope some day we can all put aside our racisms and prejudices and just laugh at people

• VampirVampir Member Posts: 4,239

actually communities like this as a general rule are "in the closet" to use different terminology.

they dont advertise as much(except for the nuts who object to everything, most just dont expose them or their children to it)

they generally can stay pretty much out of the way from the rest of society, im surprised this kid didnt ask his mother, then have her call dad to ask him, then have them call you and ask you what church you go to.

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you''re one of the 2% who hasn''t, copy & paste this in your signature.

• VampirVampir Member Posts: 4,239

actually communities like this as a general rule are "in the closet" to use different terminology.

they dont advertise as much(except for the nuts who object to everything, most just dont expose them or their children to it)

they generally can stay pretty much out of the way from the rest of society, im surprised this kid didnt ask his mother, then have her call dad to ask him, then have them call you and ask you what church you go to.

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you''re one of the 2% who hasn''t, copy & paste this in your signature.

• MUHzzxK0MUHzzxK0 Member Posts: 389
    I think its your duty to kill this mother and save the kid :P.. No seriuosly.. its just not fair for the boy.

• VercadesVercades Member Posts: 1,065
    Sounds like to me sh e doesn't want  her kids to see things like that till they're ready.  Nothing wrong with that thousands of children are sheltered or, people try to shelter them.  If it gives the child a few years of carefree happiness then more power to the parents.  I think some people think that young children should already be told about adult oriented material.  I disagree and, all that will do is ruin the childs life.  I wouldn't want to have that on my concience.

History channel does air material that isn't appropriate for children and, if you disagree on that then you are incorrect in your statement.

Originally posted by Vercades
    Sounds like to me sh e doesn't want  her kids to see things like that till they're ready.  Nothing wrong with that thousands of children are sheltered or, people try to shelter them.  If it gives the child a few years of carefree happiness then more power to the parents.  I think some people think that young children should already be told about adult oriented material.  I disagree and, all that will do is ruin the childs life.  I wouldn't want to have that on my concience.

History channel does air material that isn't appropriate for children and, if you disagree on that then you are incorrect in your statement.

How do you extrapolate, she only wants her kids to play with kids that only think and believe like them to, holding them from learning till their ready? Little bit of reaching isnt it.
  • PhoenixsPhoenixs Member Posts: 2,646
    Sad..

• shaeshae Member Posts: 2,509

Wow, thats wild Kimmar, good for you for not completely wigging out on her though.

I can't imagine having such close minded parents, certainly it's their right to raise their children as they would like but can you imagine... ?

My parents were so big on getting everyone's view point, they taught my siblings and I that our personal beliefs were a small part of a much greater sum, if we wanted respected for what we believed in, we would have to show the same towards others.

We were encouraged to ask questions, get other peoples oppinions, read, watch and take in information that quite often contradicted what we were taught, how else would we learn about the rest of the planet ? 

I like to think thats why we (my family) turned out so different, I have siblings in the military, I have some that are the quintessential familial suburbanites, a couple of hippies in there and then of course me which I've yet to catagorize (I have 9 siblings btw).

Anyways, point being, I just can't imagine haven grown up so limited, or if I ever have children myself, limiting them to such a degree. There are so many amazing and beautiful things in the world. It's almost sad in a way.

Originally posted by Scorpes

How do you extrapolate, she only wants her kids to play with kids that only think and believe like them to, holding them from learning till their ready? Little bit of reaching isnt it.

Because the OP is just stating his side of the story.  Sounds like subjective material to me.
  • Dis_OrdurDis_Ordur Member Posts: 1,501

Whats even funnier is that the Old Testament is far more violent than anything on the History channel...  How about slicing open a fat king's belly, exposing his innards and punishing him for his sloth?  Or how about killing your brother?  Or better yet, how about having a steamy love affair with your neighbors slave?  Maybe gouging out someone's eye for revenge? 

I really have a hard time taking anyone seriously who is a devout Christian...  Did you know that the date of December 25th isn't the actual date that Jesus was born?  One of the competing religions at the time was Mithraism, they celebrated Dec 25h as the equinox, and tied that into their pagan ritual...  So Christians conveniently took the 25th and made it their own...

My wife is now taking a Theology class (I minored in it), and before this class, she was pushing very hard for our family to go to church...  I was, and still am, deadset against this, organized religion is a crutch for the weak...  Now that she is learning the history behind Christianity, and how largely it relies upon translations of translations, the tidbit of faith she had is now gone...  Nothing is what it seems in the Bible...

Originally posted by Scorpes

Because the OP is just stating his side of the story.  Sounds like subjective material to me.

He was giving the known facts, even if its just his own. So unfortunently thats all we had to go by.

You claim its subjective material, well how is, just making things up because you dont agree with him not subjective? At least he was giving an eyewitness account to what he saw, all you have is your made up history and opinions to suit your purpose. 

Subjective material begats subjective material. *shrugs*

• kimmarkimmar Member Posts: 446

Subjective material begats subjective material. *shrugs*

Okay, first off, I'm a girl. 
    That's why I said, my husband.  

Second, how is what I wrote subjective?  I repeated exactly the conversation.  Verbatim.

I think you're using the 'subjective' thing as a cop out.  If not, then explain to me how I could have been less subjective.

=============================
    It all seems so stupid
    It makes me want to give up
    But why should I give up
    When it all seems so stupid