Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Team Ramping Up to Another Pre-Alpha Event This Fall

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imagePantheon: Rise of the Fallen Team Ramping Up to Another Pre-Alpha Event This Fall

As the months roll on, so too does the Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen team! They're hard at work on progressing through a variety of development milestones on the way to yet another pre-alpha event that will likely kick off later this fall.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• nk362ynk362y Member UncommonPosts: 31
    The more info about this game that comes out the more excited I get. Finally a pve sandbox without hand holding and a world to explore. I cant wait till launch
    VoidfarerbobbymcswansonBeezerbeezSovrathAlomarThahargastovski1Gnog
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    edited September 2018

nk362y said:

The more info about this game that comes out the more excited I get. Finally a pve sandbox without hand holding and a world to explore. I cant wait till launch

I don't think this is supposed to be a "sandbox." https://pantheonmmo.com/game/faqs/ 20.8 What does Pantheon have to offer a fan of the sandbox style game? Pantheon is definitely more open world and ‘sandboxy’ than many MMOs, but it is still at its core a game system, not a true sandbox sans rules. But the key point is that you can go where you want to go, take on whatever you want to take on (though you may die trying), and travel to wherever you can see (assuming you don't freeze to death en route). So, the decisions are yours -- you are not being led around by the game on rails, with only so many options or decision points.
    MrMelGibsonAmatheThahar
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    The sequel to Vanguard? We shall see, the animations appear frightfully similar though...

Sovrath said:

nk362y said:

I don't think this is supposed to be a "sandbox."

https://pantheonmmo.com/game/faqs/

20.8 What does Pantheon have to offer a fan of the sandbox style game?

Pantheon is definitely more open world and ‘sandboxy’ than many MMOs, but it is still at its core a game system, not a true sandbox sans rules. But the key point is that you can go where you want to go, take on whatever you want to take on (though you may die trying), and travel to wherever you can see (assuming you don't freeze to death en route). So, the decisions are yours -- you are not being led around by the game on rails, with only so many options or decision points.

It seems more sandboxy then what's currently on offer for a pve mmo that's good enough for me
    SovrathDaranar

Galadourn said:

The sequel to Vanguard? We shall see, the animations appear frightfully similar though...

As it looks right now but they have come ALONG WAY from where they were 6 months ago. Wonder what they will look like closer to launch. I think tmthings like animations are still mostly place holder or work in progress.
    Beezerbeezjpedrote52Thahar
  • BeezerbeezBeezerbeez Member UncommonPosts: 302
    I watched the August live streams and was, for the first time, happy with how the game seems to be coming along. They've made a lot of progress if the streams are any indication. They've finally shown me enough to really spark my interest.

Interest Meter +1
  • jpedrote52jpedrote52 Member UncommonPosts: 112
    edited September 2018

Galadourn said:

it's a good starting point then, because VG animations were launch assets, these are pre-alpha place holders animations.
  • bobbymcswansonbobbymcswanson Member UncommonPosts: 204
    I'm gonna play this for sure....only problem I see is the potential player base might be amall
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    I'm a hardcore pvper, and even I am looking forward to this game. We've been suffocated with themeparks for the past decade plus so much I'd even enjoy not killing all of you and simply exploring/questing with you =)
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563
    Really like the new look of the Skar. They look deliciously evil. 
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464

DMKano said:

This whole Pantheon=PvE Sanbox needs - lol

EQ1 was not a PvE Sandbox either. 

What are your examples of a PvE sandbox MMORPG?
    --------------------------------------------

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

I hope you guys get the experience you are looking for. Keep your perspective guys ;)
    I'm pretty sure I will. Then again, I'm expecting exactly what they have shown and taking everything at face value.

I'm not expecting graphics to be one inch better than shown.
    I'm not expecting animations to be one bit better than shown.
    I'm not expecting a sandbox.
    I'm not expecting a huge world like Vanguard.
    I'm not expecting new, cutting edge or anything that can be considered a buzz word.

"Anything" that is an inch better, a bit better, a bit more sandbox, a bit larger or even hints at new, cutting edge or some buzz word is pure gravy and is welcome.

But not expected.
    perrin82MawneeGnog

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285

Sovrath said:

I hope you guys get the experience you are looking for. Keep your perspective guys ;)

I'm pretty sure I will. Then again, I'm expecting exactly what they have shown and taking everything at face value.

I'm not expecting graphics to be one inch better than shown.
    I'm not expecting animations to be one bit better than shown.
    I'm not expecting a sandbox.
    I'm not expecting a huge world like Vanguard.
    I'm not expecting new, cutting edge or anything that can be considered a buzz word.

"Anything" that is an inch better, a bit better, a bit more sandbox, a bit larger or even hints at new, cutting edge or some buzz word is pure gravy and is welcome.

But not expected.

Fully agree with this, but I do hope it is a huge world.
  • PeskyPesky Member UncommonPosts: 157
    The sad thing about this game is it's focus on 'group play'. You can't solo!

I'm curious to see how this will play out with today's gamer. But for me, it's a big NO!
  • celtwulfceltwulf Member UncommonPosts: 61
    I really like how the team at Pantheon has been very hands-on with the community. Everywhere I look they are always releasing new info & so on about their game,  where-as most companies now keep it behind a curtain or just give very small leaks. Can't say for certain that I will even try the game but I do have respect for the team behind it.
  • BurrickBurrick Member UncommonPosts: 11

Pesky said:

I'm curious to see how this will play out with today's gamer. But for me, it's a big NO!

I remember back at launch in everquest that many said the same - there will always be ways to solo if you really want to :)
    TacticalZombeh
  • BluefishBluefish Member UncommonPosts: 96

nk362y said:

Sovrath said:

nk362y said:

I don't think this is supposed to be a "sandbox."

https://pantheonmmo.com/game/faqs/

20.8 What does Pantheon have to offer a fan of the sandbox style game?

Pantheon is definitely more open world and ‘sandboxy’ than many MMOs, but it is still at its core a game system, not a true sandbox sans rules. But the key point is that you can go where you want to go, take on whatever you want to take on (though you may die trying), and travel to wherever you can see (assuming you don't freeze to death en route). So, the decisions are yours -- you are not being led around by the game on rails, with only so many options or decision points.

It seems more sandboxy then what's currently on offer for a pve mmo that's good enough for me

Project Gorgon is very sandboxy and PvE. If you're in any way old school then I think it will appeal. Brilliant game.

Pesky said:

I feel the same but would happy been happy if I could group up with 1-3 good friends and get somewhere. Turns out all the main content is being designed for 6-person groups (and raids, ughh) I'm disappointed that there's no flexibility in group numbers, and scalable content. 6 people is never going to be a cosy group size for some of us.
  • PeskyPesky Member UncommonPosts: 157

DMKano said:

Pesky said:

This is simply not true - soloability in Pantheon will be highly dependent on class choice.

Just like EQ1 - some classes were highly soloable, while others - not so much. 

But to say that "you can't solo" - that's not true, sure you won't be able to solo raids or all of dungeon content - but soloing stuff below your level when you are geared up and playing a solo-friendly class - this will be doable.

Bottom line - class+ gear + picking the right mobs/areas to hunt = yes you can solo

Oh that gives me hope! I hope you're right. I'll wait till I see some reviews first, but if it's possible to play solo, then I won't write the game off just yet.

DMKano said:

Bluefish said:

Pesky said:

I feel the same but would happy been happy if I could group up with 1-3 good friends and get somewhere. Turns out all the main content is being designed for 6-person groups (and raids, ughh) I'm disappointed that there's no flexibility in group numbers, and scalable content. 6 people is never going to be a cosy group size for some of us.

EQ1 was very much designed the same way. Yet how many Druids, Mages, Necros, Shamans soloed to max level?

Yep, there was. It involves missing out on much of the content that the developers spend their time on though. Again, I'm sure another typical response would be: 3-4 man groups will do the content that is designed for 6 people. Sure, but it's a shame that there isn't any scaling for the non-uber amongst us that aren't up to it, and don't have 5 people we want to hang out with.
    GnogPesky
  • malroth67malroth67 Member UncommonPosts: 66

DMKano said:

Pesky said:

This is simply not true - soloability in Pantheon will be highly dependent on class choice.

Just like EQ1 - some classes were highly soloable, while others - not so much. 

But to say that "you can't solo" - that's not true, sure you won't be able to solo raids or all of dungeon content - but soloing stuff below your level when you are geared up and playing a solo-friendly class - this will be doable.

Bottom line - class+ gear + picking the right mobs/areas to hunt = yes you can solo

If you are fighting stuff below your level, and are overgeared for it then ANY class should be able to solo it, not just class's that can solo! I have watched all the dev streams and talked to some of them via twitter, so the message has been kinda mixed. They say you can solo in the game, but the game is group? What exactly does that even mean? Can I level up to max solo, but it just take a long time? Or is it that you can only solo starter area's? And I am not saying this as I want this game to be just a solo experience, I am very much looking forward to what their vision will be! But I also don't want it to be as bad as EQ either to where once you hit a certain level, you just didn't level unless you had a group, played a certain class that could solo, and it still take forever to level. I don't want easy mode WoW leveling and gearing, I just want that to be a viable thing that I can do while I sit in game while my friends are not in game, I don't always want to be in a group!
    I have very fond memories of EQ 1 as a lot of people, but I don't look upon EQ 1 with rose colored glasses either, because let's not pretend that game didn't have it's share of problems that frustrated everybody at some point!
    Pesky
    Pesky said:

Well, in general, in these games, I mostly solo.

But that doesn't mean I'm not going to buy into the design philosophy of this game.

If I need a group I'll get a group.

I mostly soloed in Vanguard. Still, there were times I needed/wanted a group and I got one.

None of this has to be hard. Also, I highly doubt they are making this game for "today's gamer." or more precise, someone who only wants to play games that are designed the way "today's games" are designed.

From what I've seen, from the people I saw going to the booth at PAX East, They are very much interested in this type of game.

As long as the developers aren't expecting large numbers of players the should be fine.