Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New LOTRO, But it will be F2P

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
Not sure if I believe it, what do you think ? 
After all this guy just streams the already released Lotro and talks good. 

If so it will be F2P, so it will not get any hype from me. 

Comments

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    I wouldn't expect it otherwise. There are games out there currently that aren't too exploitive. If, a big IF, the F2P has limited impact on the game, I will worry more about the style of the game.

If the game isn't highly open world, I will lose interest.

DeadSpock

You stay sassy!

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Not sure if I believe it, what do you think ? 
    After all this guy just streams the already released Lotro and talks good. 

If so it will be F2P, so it will not get any hype from me. 

But you linked the video and got me excited!

I will wait judgement.  Just not nearly enough info yet.  There are some good F2P games out there.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    There is only one remake and it's mobile that will actually be any good...FFXI mobile.I would not hold my breathe waiting for anything to come of this LOTRO remake nor would i expect it to be HQ,likely less quality.
    Thing is that the LOTRO IP is still a decently marketable IP,so i would not doubt we see the last of someone trying to cash in on it.
    I initially thought i heard the words AVALON but it is Athlon.A BRAND NEW LOTRO,so yeah,this new BUSINESS partner is simply looking to cash in on the IP.
    DeadSpock

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    It will be a mobile game, mark my words.
    I hope you're wrong, I don't like F2P but can oversee that as long as it's not a mobile game.
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Sadly many mobile games are better suited for the mmorpg title than most of the autoque garbage we've seen in the last decade. Kinda surprised this site doesn't cover more mobile games. Makes more sense than single players, keyboards and MOBA's.
    MrMelGibson
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• LurvLurv Member UncommonPosts: 409
    I'll never do mobile. Ultrawide and multi-monitor experience will always trump looking at a smartphone screen. Mouse and keyboard > touchscreen.
    MrMelGibson

Getting too old for this $&17!

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    It will be a mobile game, mark my words.
    It talks about "PC and Console gamers" in the press release. So I kinda doubt that :)

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    edited September 2018
    Yeah that doesn't sound promising TBH.  I'm getting really bad vibes from this whole project right now.  

1)  It doesn't use the Hobbit/LOTR timeline, which is what most people know and love.  (It also isn't the Silmarillion timeline)

2)  Consoles limit combat and hotkeys greatly - It makes me think of a Destiny style game

3) Brand new studio with zero track record.  It takes time to get a team to gel properly.  This is a pretty big ask for a studios first product.

4) This line from their announcement "Now we can expand our footprint in the West with Athlon Games."

People should seriously temper their expectations on this until a LOT more info comes out.  We don't even know who the developer they are partnering with , let alone what their design goals and philosophies are.  and if this studio was only recently created it could be years before we even get tanginble info.

craftseekerMendelTuor7
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

2)  Consoles limit combat and hotkeys greatly - It makes me think of a Destiny style game
    It depends some on how they design for it.  FFXIV has a ton of skills for your hotbars, but it still works on a gamepad.  Square decided to make the game they wanted, and then really tried to offer the control options to make it controller-friendly, and it shows.  The reason why most games with a ton of skills for your hotbars aren't controller-friendly is that the developers don't care about controllers or consoles.
    DeadSpockMrMelGibson
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Quizzical said:

It depends some on how they design for it.  FFXIV has a ton of skills for your hotbars, but it still works on a gamepad.  Square decided to make the game they wanted, and then really tried to offer the control options to make it controller-friendly, and it shows.  The reason why most games with a ton of skills for your hotbars aren't controller-friendly is that the developers don't care about controllers or consoles.
    That's OK, I don't care about controllers or consoles either!
    Octagon7711mikeb0817
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    There's a lengthy thread already, why start a new one? Sure, Adrian's video is a nice summary, but it was discussed back and forth already after the announcement.

Not to mention the typo in the title :wink:  there's an extra O. It is not a "new LotRO", actually even the LotR is only there for marketing reasons - a new game "in Middle-earth", or "in Tolkien's world" is not so catchy as a new LotR game. Which is not, since it will be placed before the events of the books.

1)  It doesn't use the Hobbit/LOTR timeline, which is what most people know and love.  (It also isn't the Silmarillion timeline)

Personal opinion. If it is a good game why limit it to only a certain time period

Not simply his personal opinion, most people only know the LotR books, and before the Hobbit movies most never knew the two are connected. As sad as it is, most people don't read anymore. That's why I wrote in the other thread that it is an attempt to climb on to the arriving hype train Amazon will provide with the series.
    Hell, even among those who are fans of the IP there's a part unaware of the vast material surrounding the LotR, which is only a very short (but the most detailed) event within the history of the Ages.

I don't see what originated the "good game" part of your response, turtle, since Frodo only said it won't use the years of LotR. But of course using the pre-LotR years has nothing to do with the game's quality. That simply puts them in shady lights, advertising it as a new LotR game.
  • linadragonlinadragon Member RarePosts: 589
    Wizardry said:
    There is only one remake and it's mobile that will actually be any good...FFXI mobile.I would not hold my breathe waiting for anything to come of this LOTRO remake nor would i expect it to be HQ,likely less quality.
    Thing is that the LOTRO IP is still a decently marketable IP,so i would not doubt we see the last of someone trying to cash in on it.
    I initially thought i heard the words AVALON but it is Athlon.A BRAND NEW LOTRO,so yeah,this new BUSINESS partner is simply looking to cash in on the IP.
    This has nothing to do with current LOTRO and isn't a remake. It is a new mmo based on the LOTR IP in general. Athlon is a newer company, but they are owned by the same parent company that owns digital extremes etc. Also there isn't anything to say that it will be an MMORPG they said it is an MMO and not an MMORPG. 

It is based off the LOTR IP not the LOTRO IP. Settings will be diff etc and the company isn't necessarily a cash grab company. Maybe wait and see.
  • linadragonlinadragon Member RarePosts: 589
    Po_gg said:
    There's a lengthy thread already, why start a new one? Sure, Adrian's video is a nice summary, but it was discussed back and forth already after the announcement.

Not to mention the typo in the title :wink:  there's an extra O. It is not a "new LotRO", actually even the LotR is only there for marketing reasons - a new game "in Middle-earth", or "in Tolkien's world" is not so catchy as a new LotR game. Which is not, since it will be placed before the events of the books.

Personal opinion. If it is a good game why limit it to only a certain time period

Not simply his personal opinion, most people only know the LotR books, and before the Hobbit movies most never knew the two are connected. As sad as it is, most people don't read anymore. That's why I wrote in the other thread that it is an attempt to climb on to the arriving hype train Amazon will provide with the series.
    Hell, even among those who are fans of the IP there's a part unaware of the vast material surrounding the LotR, which is only a very short (but the most detailed) event within the history of the Ages.

I don't see what originated the "good game" part of your response, turtle, since Frodo only said it won't use the years of LotR. But of course using the pre-LotR years has nothing to do with the game's quality. That simply puts them in shady lights, advertising it as a new LotR game.
    People need to realize that the family/foundation whatever controls what they will allow companies to make a game out of. They approached them and asked to make a game set in the world. It is the same world and IP. They just don't want to go into the current time frame because there is a whole lot less they can actually do  in that world without it being woefully played out and the like. 

Ignoring the timelines of the books/movies makes more sense than dragging them on further for no reason.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited September 2018
    I have no idea why you answered that to me, since none of the topics you argue with were in my post...
    Actually those were missing not only from my post, but I think overall as well. Nobody said the Estate or MEE doesn't have the control, neither that aiming before LotR is making more sense or not. But it must be fun and fruitful debating with yourself :smiley:

What was said however in my post: the events outside LotR are much less known to the average Joe.
    Also, selling it as LotR is a nice marketing move, but nothing more, and obviously not a correct one - since it is not LotR.

(just a note, an FYI: the IP is Middle-earth, or Tolkien's world/legendarium.
    LotR is just a part of that, though the most detailed and most known part. The "LotR IP", if you insist, covers only LotR - obviously. Selling what's not in there, under the title Lord of the Rings, is just a ploy to peak interest.
    It's a similar tactic like the re-release of Kull, Solomon Kane, etc. was under the title Conan's brethren. "Howard's other works" or something similar would sound less catchy, and they could sell more by slapping Conan onto the books... :smile:
    It will be a game on Middle-earth, hopefully based on the lore (unlike those re-skinned assasin's creed clones), but it won't be a LotR game, since it is before the events of LotR.)
    Yeah that doesn't sound promising TBH.  I'm getting really bad vibes from this whole project right now.  

It is not like Destiny at all 
      If you need a reference because you are too impatient look to SoW 

3) Brand new studio with zero track record.  It takes time to get a team to gel properly.  This is a pretty big ask for a studios first product.

Athlon Games is NOT developing the game. Repeat. They are not the developers.
    They are working with a Western developer to create the game. (Along with two other known IP's)  The developer which will be announced officially around Feb to March
     has a wealth of experience. Athlon Games is headed by long time, respected and tenured industry vets. 

4) This line from their announcement "Now we can expand our footprint in the West with Athlon Games."

People should seriously temper their expectations on this until a LOT more info comes out.  We don't even know who the developer they are partnering with , let alone what their design goals and philosophies are.  and if this studio was only recently created it could be years before we even get tanginble info.

There is enough announced and some just known by industry folk ;) 
     to know the general idea of what to look forward to. 

I get the skepticism towards a new project but you have railed on it since the announcement. Chill friend. With a name like Frodo you should be a bit more optimistic =)

It says they are partnering with another studio but you are saying that it is being developed by another studio.  This seems like an odd arrangement but it does explain why they say Athlon has many properties they are working on. 

SoW as an MMO also sounds limiting though.  I'm not aware of any consolified MMO's that I've enjoyed.  Marvel Heroes took a huge turn for the worse when they made their game compatible for both PC and Consoles.  Although D3/POE kept the versions separate.  But if this game has the same interface and gameplay for both, then I'm certainly skeptical.

There have been far too many disappointing Middle Earth, and other major IP, games to be optimistic anymore.  Especially with so little info and no actual developer mentioned.

Po_gg said:
    I have no idea why you answered that to me, since none of the topics you argue with were in my post...
    Actually those were missing not only from my post, but I think overall as well. Nobody said the Estate or MEE doesn't have the control, neither that aiming before LotR is making more sense or not. But it must be fun and fruitful debating with yourself :smiley:

What was said however in my post: the events outside LotR are much less known to the average Joe.
    Also, selling it as LotR is a nice marketing move, but nothing more, and obviously not a correct one - since it is not LotR.

(just a note, an FYI: the IP is Middle-earth, or Tolkien's world/legendarium.
    LotR is just a part of that, though the most detailed and most known part. The "LotR IP", if you insist, covers only LotR - obviously. Selling what's not in there, under the title Lord of the Rings, is just a ploy to peak interest.
    It's a similar tactic like the re-release of Kull, Solomon Kane, etc. was under the title Conan's brethren. "Howard's other works" or something similar would sound less catchy, and they could sell more by slapping Conan onto the books... :smile:
    It will be a game on Middle-earth, hopefully based on the lore (unlike those re-skinned assasin's creed clones), but it won't be a LotR game, since it is before the events of LotR.)
    While it can be seen as shady to label it as a LOTR game, it technically can be since they have access to the appendices for names and places and events. 

But making people think it is a LOTR game will backfire if people buying it expect to see those characters and timelines.  So the marketing and labeling of the finished product is better served by steering away from that title.  Right now it's just a press release and they do mention the timeline precedes LOTR.

As far as the video goes, the only nitpick I have is that he assumes they may be connected to the Amazon show as well.  But Amazon wasn't mentioned and would require another company to pay.  and so that seems to be unlikely, especially since that show hasn't been cast as far as I can tell.  They may not even have a hard outline of their first season.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    LOL Wow no more paying for quest packs.
  • Tuor7Tuor7 Member RarePosts: 982
    Just as an FYI, since it was brought up earlier in the thread: the Tolkien Estate (TE) and Middle-earth Enterprises (MEE) are different entities that have control over different parts of Tolkien's works. The TE, which represents Tolkien's family members, has nothing to do with this project.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I didn't know they (Amazon Studios) were working on a LotR TV series! Can't wait, hope it's good!  
    mikeb0817

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    How about we just hope for an amazing game instead of spreading all the doom and gloom?

A chance at a new middle earth MMO is better than no chance at all. If it's crap or not exactly what you want from the IP.. no biggie. We can just act like it never happened and move on.
    SovrathScorchienMrMelGibson
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    edited September 2018
    How about we just hope for an amazing game instead of spreading all the doom and gloom?

A chance at a new middle earth MMO is better than no chance at all. If it's crap or not exactly what you want from the IP.. no biggie. We can just act like it never happened and move on.
    How about companies wait until they are closer to a final product before hyping it?  This is an industry issue.  And frankly, the press release made it sound like they were more excited about expanding their influence into the west.
    MendelTuor7
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

How about companies wait until they are closer to a final product before hyping it?  This is an industry issue.
    They have simply announced it. That is literally all they have done.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Lurv said:
    I'll never do mobile. Ultrawide and multi-monitor experience will always trump looking at a smartphone screen. Mouse and keyboard > touchscreen.
    Mobile also includes tablets. RPGs and other games are amazing on a tablet. From playing KotOR, older Final fantasy games to even baldur's gate/Icewind Dale. Action games are subjective, but I do enjoy PUBG on my tablet. 
    [Deleted User]