Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is PUBG losing players?

LowellsandersLowellsanders Member UncommonPosts: 134
PUBG came into our lives with a bang and alongside of forming the Battle Royale genre, was quick enough to gather a player base of millions. More games followed by PUBG remained to be the dominant force in the world of online games.

This dominance however, is steadily losing the count with each counting day. After almost a year of PUBG's rein, the game's daily player base has fell from the million count. On September, 10th PUBG lost the million player count, a feat that started last year on 8th September.

This ends a yearlong run of popularity of the game which has now started to take a downward trajectory. And this is greatly due to the increase in popularity of other games most importantly Fortnite.

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Do you know of any game that hasn't lost popularity over the time of it's existance?
    Panther2103alkarionlogAlBQuirkyVinterkrigMikeha
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • HydraelzHydraelz Member UncommonPosts: 7
    I have 600hours of PUBG. I like the game, but it is lacking of new content.
    They only care about the mobile version, too sad.

I will keep playing it from time to time, but I cannot wait to try the new Black Ops.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,273
    Grunty said:
    Do you know of any game that hasn't lost popularity over the time of it's existance?
    No because it isn't possible.

There is no way a game will grow constantly over time, it will eventually peak and fall. 

There will always be people that get bored, or move onto a new game. There is no game that can permanently retain their audience. 

Hell, even Fortnite stopped growing as rapidly recently. Unless the tournament in 2019 brings in more players, it should start it's fall soon too, and people will latch onto the next big thing. 
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited September 2018
    I don't know how its even lasted this long, same with the fortnite hysteria. I just don't get the appeal or the hook of these battle royale fps games. So much repetition in the gameplay.
    AlBQuirky
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member RarePosts: 2,800
    of course its losing players all games after sometime lose they shiny, then people move to the next shiny thing, be thanksfull it took this long
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • SplitStream13SplitStream13 Member UncommonPosts: 126
    edited September 2018
    Overwatch still has millions of players ;) 

The recipe seems to be - new shit every few months. Doesn't matter if it's good or bad
  • LowellsandersLowellsanders Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Grunty said:
    But not in only 1 year
    Mikeha
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member RarePosts: 4,303
    Grunty said:
    POE has grown and stabilized - but they are cyclical each league.
    edited September 2018
    Grunty said:
    But not in only 1 year
    You're kidding right?  Almost every game loses popularity within the first year.

But Fortnite definitely put the hurt on PUBG and H1Z1 and they aren't likely to recover
    Lowellsanders
  • SideerSideer Member CommonPosts: 6
    Yeah, i have noticed PUBG falling off the spotlight this year, it is one of the most serious Battle Royales though, if you want some graphical realism.
    And that is the reason i think people want something fresh, now we see the third wave of new royales coming out, it's a shame the old ones can't change so fast, new mechanics are being implemented every few months on new releases
    Sideer said:
    Yeah, i have noticed PUBG falling off the spotlight this year, it is one of the most serious Battle Royales though, if you want some graphical realism.
    And that is the reason i think people want something fresh, now we see the third wave of new royales coming out, it's a shame the old ones can't change so fast, new mechanics are being implemented every few months on new releases
    H1Z1 is the biggest offender there.  They let the market overtake them by being stagnant.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 2,839

I mean....they lost a shitload of people to Fortnite.....but I imagine by now that's all stabilized to their core playerbase.

• VinterkrigVinterkrig Member UncommonPosts: 1,793
    Hydraelz said:
    I have 600hours of PUBG. I like the game, but it is lacking of new content.
    They only care about the mobile version, too sad.

I will keep playing it from time to time, but I cannot wait to try the new Black Ops.

Bluehole isn't working on the mobile version, Tencent is. So you are wrong, what they did do is make a console version of PUBG, which probably shifted focus away from PC. Surprised you don't know these things with 600h in. 

Sideer said:
    H1Z1 is the biggest offender there.  They let the market overtake them by being stagnant.

That's because of a few reasons, Brenan Greene was consulting for them, and left and made PUBG, Sony sold their games off to DayBreak and DayBreak is mostly trash. 

Grunty said:
    And you really nail it here,  especially these days with how quick games crash and burn, PUBG has done a great job at pushing on with a good player base. It's peak players this month is 1,183,102 and is averaging almost 600k, a new update will shoot that back up.

You could easily talk about all the other games trying Battle Royale that aren't Fortnite and see how poorly they're doing.. it's a tough genre, it lacks content and people get burnt out because there's only 1 winner in a round, and it's hard to be that person.

Recently failed BRs

Islands of Nyne
    Last Tide
    Fear the Wolves
    Fractured Lands
    Realm Royale
    H1Z1
    Cuisine Royale
    Totally Accurate Battlegrounds
    The Culling
    The Culling 2

Hunt: Showdown, while not a BR per say, is similar.. and it's got a small player base and the game is actually very good.

Shit, there are probably more, and some of those games are free!

The market tends to stick to what they know the best, and it's tough to get them to move from it. This is why COD and BF remain top shooters even though they keep regurgitating the same nonsense every release. 

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,483
    edited September 2018
    Hunt: Showdown is a very good game loop.  If they had another 2-3 bounty monsters and another 1-2 maps, I'd buy it today.
    Vinterkrig

Hunt: Showdown is a very good game loop.  If they had another 2-3 bounty monsters and another 1-2 maps, I'd buy it today.
    How much did it cost you?
    On steam?
    Grunty said:
    But not in only 1 year
    You're kidding right?  Almost every game loses popularity within the first year.

But Fortnite definitely put the hurt on PUBG and H1Z1 and they aren't likely to recover
    If so then why not Fortnite? its almost more than a year now but the game is hitting high records every month and the reason behind that is they add new and quality content on daily basis!