Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is PUBG losing players?

LowellsandersLowellsanders Member UncommonPosts: 134
PUBG came into our lives with a bang and alongside of forming the Battle Royale genre, was quick enough to gather a player base of millions. More games followed by PUBG remained to be the dominant force in the world of online games.

This dominance however, is steadily losing the count with each counting day. After almost a year of PUBG's rein, the game's daily player base has fell from the million count. On September, 10th PUBG lost the million player count, a feat that started last year on 8th September.

This ends a yearlong run of popularity of the game which has now started to take a downward trajectory. And this is greatly due to the increase in popularity of other games most importantly Fortnite.

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Do you know of any game that hasn't lost popularity over the time of it's existance?
    Panther2103alkarionlogAlBQuirky[Deleted User]MikehaAdamantine
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • HydraelzHydraelz Member UncommonPosts: 7
    I have 600hours of PUBG. I like the game, but it is lacking of new content.
    They only care about the mobile version, too sad.

I will keep playing it from time to time, but I cannot wait to try the new Black Ops.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    Grunty said:
    Do you know of any game that hasn't lost popularity over the time of it's existance?
    No because it isn't possible.

There is no way a game will grow constantly over time, it will eventually peak and fall. 

There will always be people that get bored, or move onto a new game. There is no game that can permanently retain their audience. 

Hell, even Fortnite stopped growing as rapidly recently. Unless the tournament in 2019 brings in more players, it should start it's fall soon too, and people will latch onto the next big thing. 
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited September 2018
    I don't know how its even lasted this long, same with the fortnite hysteria. I just don't get the appeal or the hook of these battle royale fps games. So much repetition in the gameplay.
    AlBQuirky
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    of course its losing players all games after sometime lose they shiny, then people move to the next shiny thing, be thanksfull it took this long
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • SplitStream13SplitStream13 Member UncommonPosts: 250
    edited September 2018
    Overwatch still has millions of players ;) 

The recipe seems to be - new shit every few months. Doesn't matter if it's good or bad
  • LowellsandersLowellsanders Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Grunty said:
    But not in only 1 year
    Mikeha
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    Grunty said:
    POE has grown and stabilized - but they are cyclical each league.
    edited September 2018
    Grunty said:
    But not in only 1 year
    You're kidding right?  Almost every game loses popularity within the first year.

But Fortnite definitely put the hurt on PUBG and H1Z1 and they aren't likely to recover
    Lowellsanders
  • SideerSideer Member CommonPosts: 6
    Yeah, i have noticed PUBG falling off the spotlight this year, it is one of the most serious Battle Royales though, if you want some graphical realism.
    And that is the reason i think people want something fresh, now we see the third wave of new royales coming out, it's a shame the old ones can't change so fast, new mechanics are being implemented every few months on new releases
    Sideer said:
    Yeah, i have noticed PUBG falling off the spotlight this year, it is one of the most serious Battle Royales though, if you want some graphical realism.
    And that is the reason i think people want something fresh, now we see the third wave of new royales coming out, it's a shame the old ones can't change so fast, new mechanics are being implemented every few months on new releases
    H1Z1 is the biggest offender there.  They let the market overtake them by being stagnant.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

I mean....they lost a shitload of people to Fortnite.....but I imagine by now that's all stabilized to their core playerbase.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited September 2018
    Hunt: Showdown is a very good game loop.  If they had another 2-3 bounty monsters and another 1-2 maps, I'd buy it today.
    [Deleted User]

Hunt: Showdown is a very good game loop.  If they had another 2-3 bounty monsters and another 1-2 maps, I'd buy it today.
    How much did it cost you?
    On steam?
    Grunty said:
    But not in only 1 year
    You're kidding right?  Almost every game loses popularity within the first year.

But Fortnite definitely put the hurt on PUBG and H1Z1 and they aren't likely to recover
    If so then why not Fortnite? its almost more than a year now but the game is hitting high records every month and the reason behind that is they add new and quality content on daily basis!
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    It is not custom and not a good idea at all to change a citation with own text.

You answer BELOW the citation, not add to it.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,991
    edited June 2023
    It is not custom and not a good idea at all to change a citation with own text.

You answer BELOW the citation, not add to it.
    Last poster is an adbot, changing citations with new links is just one of the tools in their arsenal. Does not always link properly or the link is added later.
    Adamantine
    Its still around ?

Back when it was big it was fun to watch some of the people playing it. Like wtf how can anybody react this fast and OMG what did he even do there.

The top players could like kill a group of four opponents within a split second lol.

Also completely discouraged me from ever playing any battle royale game myself though. I would only be killed over and over and over.
  • awsygdawsygd Newbie CommonPosts: 2

You're absolutely right. It's a common pattern in the gaming industry for games to experience fluctuations in player numbers over time as players explore new titles and trends. Games can have their moment of intense popularity and then gradually see player counts decline as newer experiences emerge. Developers often work to keep their games fresh and appealing to maintain or regain player interest.

PUBG had a significant impact on the gaming world by popularizing the battle royale genre and maintaining a dedicated player base for an extended period. The fact that it remained popular for as long as it did is a testament to its appeal and the efforts of its developers.

PUBG still seems to have a sizeable population.

Unfortunately also an especially severe cheater problem right now. Just watched a current YouTube of a PUBG streamer yesterday and really every run he started he ran into cheaters. Aimbots, usually, but also no recoil scripts and wallhacks. And he didnt even bother to report because there was no real point. I cite "everyone is a Shroud today".

There seems to be also a gros cheat that makes an AI play for you. No software on the local computer, and extremely hard to detect, since it basically plays like a regular player (misses shots every once in a while, realistic reaction times, etc). The only downside is the player merely watches so the point of using that hack is a little beyond me. At that point you really could just watch YouTube videos. Same fun, and you dont destroy the fun of other people.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,991
    edited November 2023
    awsygd said:

You're absolutely right. It's a common pattern in the gaming industry for games to experience fluctuations in player numbers over time as players explore new titles and trends. Games can have their moment of intense popularity and then gradually see player counts decline as newer experiences emerge. Developers often work to keep their games fresh and appealing to maintain or regain player interest.

PUBG had a significant impact on the gaming world by popularizing the battle royale genre and maintaining a dedicated player base for an extended period. The fact that it remained popular for as long as it did is a testament to its appeal and the efforts of its developers.

I missed you coming on, Welcome to the forums!

Just to allay the suspicion you might be chat AI the declaration you are a real person would be great. :)
  • AlexMiller15AlexMiller15 Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    edited December 2023
    burbigo3 said:
    I quickly got tired of PUBG and found it lacking in new content.
    I agree with you, this game, for me, lasts for several months when playing in a group, if you play alone, the total is less
  • Ankit_TiwariAnkit_Tiwari Newbie CommonPosts: 4
    Hydraelz said:
     have 600hours of PUBG. I like the game, but it is lacking of new content.
    They only care about the mobile version, too sad.

I will keep playing it from time to time, but I cannot wait to try the new Black Ops.
    600 hours in PUBG is quite the dedication! It's understandable to seek fresh content to keep the gaming experience exciting. Hopefully, PUBG's development team takes note of the community's desire for more updates. The anticipation for trying out the new Black Ops is certainly palpable.

• Ankit_TiwariAnkit_Tiwari Newbie CommonPosts: 4
    600 hours in PUBG is quite the dedication! It's understandable to seek fresh content to keep the gaming experience exciting. Hopefully, PUBG's development team takes note of the community's desire for more updates. The anticipation for trying out the new Black Ops is certainly palpable
    Dedication ?

A shooter game like PUBG needs muscle memory, so people who are really good at this kind of game play it for years and years.

And older people, like me, that means people 50+, dont really need to apply, because well, we just cant keep up with younger people when it comes to reflexes.

Really the same reason why military worldwide prefers people around 20.

Thats why I only watch youtubers play these kind of games, and dont play them myself. I'd just be destroyed over and over.